Page 556 of 613 FirstFirst ... 56456506546552553554555556557558559560566606 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,340 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    You hit a point where you think to yourself "these characters are not even acting like the people they are suppose to be" and then you lose interest. Happened to me pretty early with Bendis. The second Jon went off with Jorel, I was like "there is no way" after the stories we had just read. It made no sense...and I was out.
    Outside of the stupidity of revealing his ID, Bendis generally gets Superman's voice fine. In general his Superman acts like a veteran Superman anyone could recognize. Its his ideas surrounding that which have pretty much landed with a massive thud.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They already did a Super Sons book for that line, although I honestly didn't hear a lot of positive things about it.
    It's not bad. It's set in its own continuity that is really odd for anyone familiar with the mainline stuff, but for a YA book it's pretty standard stuff. It did well enough to warrant one or two sequels. My son was a big fan of the Tomasi Super Sons and ended up liking the YA book quite a bit.

They already did a Super Sons book for that line, although I honestly didn't hear a lot of positive things about it.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Well, Sam says it sold well, and even if it didn't that's no reason not to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Cue Action becoming essentially a Jon title in the near future, and with the obligatory constant Bat presence in Damian. I'd be pissed if I were still picking up the main books.
    If Jon takes over as Superman in 5G that's happening this fall anyway.

And it was Tomasi who turned the book into the Jon show. Bendis hasn't been nearly as bad, outside of the issues recapping Jon's trip through space and earth-3.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think it depends how long this arc is. I think the Superfamily will probably be around for the entirety of the arc at the very least.

Jon takes "super dickery" to a new level in it, and Damian, sorry, "Ian" is white-washed in the worst ways. I know its basically Elseworlds, but the little I read of it, was very jarring.

And Bendis' "Super Sons" are bad in its own way too. At least Jorge Jimenez's Super Sons looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Well, Sam says it sold well, and even if it didn't that's no reason not to try again.

If Jon takes over as Superman in 5G that's happening this fall anyway.

And it was Tomasi who turned the book into the Jon show. Bendis hasn't been nearly as bad, outside of the issues recapping Jon's trip through space and earth-3.
    Ah, I should have given the addendum that right now I"m operating on at least the possibility that this particular idea is dead. We obviously don't know yet what of Didio's original plans were outright scrapped, altered, or outright kept, but I think there's at least a solid chance though that they realized replacing Superman outright was really stupid. But if not, it certainly wouldn't really matter, yeah.

And while Bendis doesn't operate the same way Tomasi did, at the same time this would create a trend of him giving the kid a break, then bringing him back to muck things up for a few issues. Its not as long term, but in some ways worse than what Tomasi did because while Tomasi had Jon basically the star of the Superman title for the entirety of Rebirth, he didn't do anything quite so jarring as stealing the Legion away from Kal or anything to accommodate him either. So it freaks me out what he plans for Jon's next return and how it'll screw over Superman. Be it the original 5G idea or something else.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-14-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

nd while Bendis doesn't operate the same way Tomasi did, at the same time this would create a trend of him giving the kid a break, then bringing him back to muck things up for a few issues. Its not as long term, but in some ways worse than what Tomasi did because while Tomasi had Jon basically the star of the Superman title for the entirety of Rebirth, he didn't do anything quite so jarring as stealing the Legion away from Kal or anything to accommodate him either. So it freaks me out what he plans for Jon's next return and how it'll screw over Superman. Be it the original 5G idea or something else.
    You know I hate Clark losing the Legion as much as you do, but what's worse; Clark losing part of his backstory to Jon or losing the whole damn book to him?

By rights we shouldn't have to pick a lesser evil at all, but....we're Superman fans, so this is what we get.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Ah, I should have given the addendum that right now I"m operating on at least the possibility that this particular idea is dead. We obviously don't know yet what of Didio's original plans were outright scrapped, altered, or outright kept, but I think there's at least a solid chance though that they realized replacing Superman outright was really stupid. But if not, it certainly wouldn't really matter, yeah.

And while Bendis doesn't operate the same way Tomasi did, at the same time this would create a trend of him giving the kid a break, then bringing him back to muck things up for a few issues. Its not as long term, but in some ways worse than what Tomasi did because while Tomasi had Jon basically the star of the Superman title for the entirety of Rebirth, he didn't do anything quite so jarring as stealing the Legion away from Kal or anything to accommodate him either. So it freaks me out what he plans for Jon's next return and how it'll screw over Superman. Be it the original 5G idea or something else.
    Most of the time I get where you're coming from, but I'm genuinely confused here.

I mean not too long ago Bendis said that Conner will be bouncing between YJ and Action similar to Jon bouncing between Legion and Action for a while. Granted you may not have heard that, but then in this same AMA Bendis said that Supergirl will also be taking up residence in Action Comics now that her book is gone.

Doesn't really make much sense to single out Jon at this juncture. If anything, probably worry more about the character who no longer has a book to bounce back to, right?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-14-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I didn't know about either of those things, honestly. I knew Conner and YJ was guesting in one issue but I only knew of that one issue, not that it was going to be multi. And I didn't hear about Supergirl at all. Now, had I known that, obviously I'm not going to lie and say the fact I like Conner and Kara wouldn't play a role in my feelings. But at the same time they're also not widely known as being a strong focus of Super books anyway. They'll guest for an arc or an event then go back to their own thing. They're not as ingrained. So simply me not liking the character is a big part of the deal, no denials. But at the same time the last time he was around under Bendis it was one of the key low points for Superman himself, imo, so I'm concerned on those grounds too.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-14-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Forgive my confusion. I assumed you'd heard about at least Kara since you quoted me and part of the post where we learned that information. Unless you were scanning specifically for Jon related stuff?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Not at all a problem . Yeah it was just a situation where I wanted to quote one particular piece of info, but I left some other stuff in there.

I guess the Superfamily popping up in Action has been a precedent since the big Superfamily vs Revenge Squad fight in Jurgens run after Reborn....although we had a big Superfamily story with the Unity Saga, I guess this is just the Action equivalent.

If anyone's been on Bendis' IG lately you've probably seen the scripts he's been posting. His latest one was a pretty long one from Legion of Super-Heroes #1. It's extremely descriptive, and reads more like a genuinely excited email to Sook rather than a script, so that was fun to read.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-aodTYJFQC/

We do actually get a few tidbits of info we didn't already know.

- There is a conscious choice to stay away from the retro aesthetic.

- Wildfire, Dawnstar, and Timberwolf are the only Legionnaires who aren't wide-eyed optimists. He says that he'll be getting into why that is when the opportunity presents itself.

- Planet Gotham is described as a deeply future forward version of Timm's animated Gotham.

- Planet Gotham has aspects of it dedicated to different parts of Batman's legacy. He compares it to Vegas in some ways. It's also a planet that's a bit more diverse than most because it's something of a popular destination planet. It has gambling, prostitution, and drugs. It's "31st century vice"

- There are street signs in the 31st century, but actual advertisements are completely illegal all over the galaxy.

- I noticed that Bendis, even after naming him Ultra Boy to Sook and providing a picture, describes Ultra Boy as Superman several times in the script. The one that stuck out to me the most was Ultra Boy being described as "a cross between Superman and Daredevil". I then went back to look at the issue and while in shadow Ultra Boy is in fact drawn in a few Superman shots. To top it off Sook even adds a cloak that while in shadow gives the impression of a cape. Then when he's hit after switching powers the 'cape' burns away and we see him more clearly.

I'm still partially holding onto the theory that Bendis is setting up Ultra Boy to be the Superman equivalent of Miguel O'hara aka Spider-Man 2099 (or Miles Morales) with Jon offering him the title of Superman before he goes back home. But I'm not saying this really proves anything. I just found it ironic given my theory.

Also, on the purely Superman side:

Bendis: "Just got off the phone with @dccomics because we are about to debut a few new characters in the Superman universe. New villains. New heroes. Pretty exciting!!!"
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-01-2020 at 11:03 AM.

https://www.cbr.com/legion-of-super-...true-superman/

Oh, yay. More stuff Jon fans didn't want and Clark fans will hate. Making Jon the "real Superman".

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/legion-of-super-...true-superman/

Oh, yay. More stuff Jon fans didn't want and Clark fans will hate. Making Jon the "real Superman".
    I saw that BS!! The real superman will always be Clark Kent!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    - There is a conscious choice to stay away from the retro aesthetic.
    I kinda get it, but I'm a sucker for a retro aesthetic. James Tucker must be rubbing off on me.
    - Wildfire, Dawnstar, and Timberwolf are the only Legionnaires who aren't wide-eyed optimists. He says that he'll be getting into why that is when the opportunity presents itself.
    Well, Wildfire and Timberwolf make sense.
    - Planet Gotham is described as a deeply future forward version of Timm's animated Gotham.
    I guess a space version of Beyond Gotham.
    - Planet Gotham has aspects of it dedicated to different parts of Batman's legacy. He compares it to Vegas in some ways. It's also a planet that's a bit more diverse than most because it's something of a popular destination planet. It has gambling, prostitution, and drugs. It's "31st century vice"
    So it sounds like Bludhaven took over .
    - I noticed that Bendis, even after naming him Ultra Boy to Sook and providing a picture, describes Ultra Boy as Superman several times in the script. The one that stuck out to me the most was Ultra Boy being described as "a cross between Superman and Daredevil". I then went back to look at the issue and while in shadow Ultra Boy is in fact drawn in a few Superman shots. To top it off Sook even adds a cloak that while in shadow gives the impression of a cape. Then when he's hit after switching powers the 'cape' burns away and we see him more clearly.

I'm still partially holding onto the theory that Bendis is setting up Ultra Boy to be the Superman equivalent of Miguel O'hara aka Spider-Man 2099 (or Miles Morales) with Jon offering him the title of Superman before he goes back home. But I'm not saying this really proves anything. I just found it ironic given my theory.
    Huh.
    Also, on the purely Superman side:

Bendis: "Just got off the phone with @dccomics because we are about to debut a few new characters in the Superman universe. New villains. New heroes. Pretty exciting!!!"
    I don't know if we're at the point where we should start throwing in new heroes and villains. That usually just marginalizes older characters who could use more promotions/pushes.