Page 56 of 613 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156556 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    I think some of you guys need to take a peek at the Marvel forum and see just exactly what people actually exposed to BMB feel about him.
    Exactly. No one realises that.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Exactly. No one realises that.
    I think I have a good idea of how people feel about Bendis.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    And I respect that. The thing is I became a regular buyer of both Superman and Action because of the current books and this has been the first time I've stuck with both for this long as well. Jurgens, Tomasi and Gleason are the reasons I've stuck around this long and once Bendis comes on I'm leaving again. I don't think I have to tell you how disappointed that makes me feel.

In any case while this risk might pay off I remain concerned for what will happen if it doesn't. Bendis on any book these days is a huge risk because of his track record lately and I feel like DC is taken to much of one here by given him the keys to the Superman corner of the DCU. I really don't feel entirely comfortable with that and would be a good deal happier if they had given him one of the two books and gotten some other big name to write the other one.
    Yeah, I really feel like Jurgens was just about hitting his stride, especially. I'd have given "Superman" to Bendis and kept Jurgens on "Action" (or swap that, either way). Tomasi was great at first and grew to be very spotty, but "Action" has gotten better in pacing and execution - like editorial was either laying off him, or something like that. The best times in the triangle era were when there were 15 threads all coming out at once, and we were almost to that point again. Hopefully Bendis keeps that going.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    And I respect that. The thing is I became a regular buyer of both Superman and Action because of the current books and this has been the first time I've stuck with both for this long as well. Jurgens, Tomasi and Gleason are the reasons I've stuck around this long and once Bendis comes on I'm leaving again. I don't think I have to tell you how disappointed that makes me feel.

In any case while this risk might pay off I remain concerned for what will happen if it doesn't. Bendis on any book these days is a huge risk because of his track record lately and I feel like DC is taken to much of one here by given him the keys to the Superman corner of the DCU. I really don't feel entirely comfortable with that and would be a good deal happier if they had given him one of the two books and gotten some other big name to write the other one.
    I can feel your pain. I was ready to leave the books near the end of the pre-FP era but the New 52 reinvigorated me. So when Rebirth was announced, I was about ready to walk away for good, but my love for the character forced me to at least try. To varying degrees of success. So I know what its like to be adamantly not down with a particular change for the entire line, feeling like there's no option to really call home. So I don't relish and enjoy the individuals who might feel the same way now. Its a crappy feeling.

In any case, I certainly was surprised they decided to give him both books. I would have been more than happy with a new direction spearheaded by two separate teams. With that said though I only see him on both books long enough to get the status quo nailed down. I bet he gives up one sooner than later, especially considering his workload outside of Superman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-05-2018 at 01:37 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I think I have a good idea of how people feel about Bendis.
    Meh. Lots of people are cheering and actually looking forward to him.

So? That doesn't mean they don't realize that others don't care for him. Just because there are fans that don't like him doesn't mean everyone is required not to. Looking forward to his run for whatever reason doesn't automatically equate to being oblivious to some universal truth about the guy. Because there is no universal truth. Its all subjective opinion one way or the other.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-05-2018 at 01:48 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Because some of us are tired of the current teams.

Bendis isn't even among the top 50 writers I'd like to see on the Superman books, but I'll take him over the current teams.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I am aware of how he can be but if his words about putting focus back onto the Daily Planet work it'll be a win for him and might redeem his reputation which he is aware of given how he has made it clear that he is not going to get rid of the what old teams did. Places like the Daily Planet began to lose their relevance to the Superman mythos a little once DC decided to make him stronger and adapt the super-hearing from the radio show and it's in his field of handling street level stuff so it should breathe new life into it if he can do it well.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Spectacular Member

Goodbye Superman. It was nice to know you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    "Manufactured" as opposed to "created" is a good way of putting it. Both runs have felt like standard model Superman Books(TM). It feels like DC wanted safe, comforting, non-challenging books that took no chances. I never felt any real emotion or creative energy running through them. I never got the feeling that either author just couldn't wait to get his ideas on the page. They were workmanlike. Functional and fine. They remind me of Shooter era Marvel books.
    Yes, that's it.

For all of Action Comics, and most of Superman, it was like they were assembling toys. The comics were products, nothing more.

In their defense, they were catering to the fans. I thought both were fanservice runs, but like you said they were non-challenging books.

BANNED

If Bendis is even more awful than the current teams, and he makes sales totally crash, then DC will just move him to something else and give others the Superman books.

I am aware of how he can be but if his words about putting focus back onto the Daily Planet work it'll be a win for him and might redeem his reputation which he is aware of given how he has made it clear that he is not going to get rid of the what old teams did. Places like the Daily Planet began to lose their relevance to the Superman mythos a little once DC decided to make him stronger and adapt the super-hearing from the radio show and it's in his field of handling street level stuff so it should breathe new life into it if he can do it well.
    I hope you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Because some of us are tired of the current teams.

Bendis isn't even among the top 50 writers I'd like to see on the Superman books, but I'll take him over the current teams.
    What the you're contradicting yourself man. You just said it, he isn't even in top 50 atm. And yet you prefer him over Tomasi and Jurgens.
    Aight

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    So? That doesn't mean they don't realize that others don't care for him. Just because there are fans that don't like him doesn't mean everyone is required not to. Looking forward to his run for whatever reason doesn't automatically equate to being oblivious to some universal truth about the guy. Because there is no universal truth. Its all subjective opinion one way or the other.
    Of course it's subjective but it's also pretty damn obvious that current Bendis isn't the same as his period on Daredevil, JJ, OG USM run IMO.

Mighty Member

Maybe more writers should write stories akin to the Shooter era books. I mean that's kind of how Superman began to sell well again.
    The books sold better. I don't think they ever got to the level where a lot of people (and presumably DC, or else why change authors) feel Superman should be selling. DC books in general sold better after Rebirth though. How much of their increase was a bump from Rebirth and how much of that is due to the writing is impossible to say. They did a better job of not having as many crossovers, which I think helps a book's stability long term. You felt like you could read just that title and not be missing a whole lot, which helps keep readers on board.

I just always felt like they were more about not messing up than being great. I never felt like they went for a home run, I felt like they were happy to just make good contact. Which may end up being a good thing. The books were definitely consistent and simple, which is an overall better thing than inconsistent and overly complicated, as they were for a good portion of the New 52. They kind of took the doctor's motto towards the books of "First, do no harm". Which didn't make for super compelling and interesting books week to week imo, but it did stabilize the books and establish a baseline of what fans can expect. Which might have been their whole goal. I think the line is in a better place than it has been in years, which is no small feat and something they should be proud of.