Page 562 of 613 FirstFirst ... 62462512552558559560561562563564565566572612 ... LastLast
Results 8,416 to 8,430 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    So... is the 5G thing sounding like a change people are taking seriously vs some kinda DCYou?
    By people do you mean AT&T/WB/DC or do you mean the subsection of vocal fans that follow it? There are some conflicting reports, but the baseline seems to suggest, no, DCYou is not an apt comparison when it comes to AT&T/WB/DC's work on this. The DCYou seemed to be intended as a short period of just throwing ideas around with little to no planning before or beyond. This seems to have an pretty enormous amount of forethought and planning (beyond their New 52 line-wide reboot), so take that for whatever you will.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I meant a change of line direction whether indefinite or for the bulk of a year.

Whereas the whole 5G thing has been just making me think of Jon teaming up with a sentient cell phone in a $5 special.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That doesn't really sound like it was an option available. Just because Jon needs to go from 10 to 20 for 5G doesn't mean a 10 year timeskip works out for every other young character at DC. I imagine an initial timeskip was always a given. I'm guessing that was part of what made the "story puzzle" a puzzle.
    But isn't the time-skip going to effect them regardless?
    I meant a change of line direction whether indefinite or for the bulk of a year.

Whereas the whole 5G thing has been just making me think of Jon teaming up with a sentient cell phone in a $5 special.
    I think it will turn out to be an equivalent to the All New All Different Marvel initiative a few years back. Whether it lasts as long is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Maybe they aren't looking for a poc. Instead, someone that looks and talks like superman,has basically morality and ethical core of a superman. Yet, is more flexible since there is no baggage and expectations. Someone who doesn't need contrived reasoning for simple questions like superman does and can appeal to modern audiences.And i am not talking about the continuity here. I am talking about the character itself.
    But then they are also replacing characters like Bruce Wayne and Diana who haven’t had the same “problem”. Especially Bruce, they’re replacing him with Luke Fox. I don’t really mind but I don’t get the logic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    But then they are also replacing characters like Bruce Wayne and Diana who haven’t had the same “problem”. Especially Bruce, they’re replacing him with Luke Fox. I don’t really mind but I don’t get the logic here.
    It doesn't seem like the replacement logic is entirely consistent when we've got Jon Kent and Jackson Hyde versus Luke Fox and Owen Mercer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It doesn't seem like the replacement logic is entirely consistent when we've got Jon Kent and Jackson Hyde versus Luke Fox and Owen Mercer.
    Was Jackson the rumored choice? Yeah that is odd because that flies in the face of their supposed plan to not go with the obvious legacy characters (which Jon also breaks with). Diversity wise it looks like there won’t be any Latino or Asian legacy holders which is irritating. Especially with how quickly Latinos are becoming the largest minority in America, DC completely overlooking them is facepalm inducing. I wonder if KSD was the one who pushed for Jackson to get the mantle, and what the plan is now? 5G couldn’t have picked a worst time to start. With the DM getting bodied by the pandemic, and your average comic reader being “apathetic” at best and downright hostile to their favs getting replaced at worst, I have to wonder if Snyder talking about Death Metal getting expanded means 5G is getting downgraded.

Well like I said, if you're talking about AT&T/WB/DC, this is confirmed to have way more planning and forethought than their actual most recent line wide meant-to-last/indefinite change, the New 52, so just off that I'd assume this isn't a "for the bulk of a year" flavor-of-the-month thing. But on top of that they've got actual timelines being worked on, and-- from the sound of it (from Snyder himself recently)-- have Snyder devoting some of Death Metal to tee it up along with the Generations 4 parter all in the interest of setting it up for it. There's even anecdotal stuff like Tom King on Word Balloon assuming that he had to make Alfred's death a fake out, but then being informed by the higher ups that it would be real and permanent because it sets up 5G.

To me, none of this reads like short term plans.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

But isn't the time-skip going to effect them regardless?
    Yeah, but the question is 10 years vs 3 to 5. And the idea seems to be to keep some of the kid/teen heroes we know as young adults (Damian's generation). Then you also have to take into account the characters that are getting "everything" back. Tim's generation for example are now in their late 20s early 30s with "everything" and the possible timeskip on top of that. You add on 10 years and that puts them in their 40s and maybe not were DC needs them hence why the timeline isn't actually the legit 80 years of the real world. If Jon was the non-negotiable choice and they still wanted other characters to be a certain age, then Jon's age is the one that had to budge.

Granted, this is just from what I understand at the moment.

Was Jackson the rumored choice? Yeah that is odd because that flies in the face of their supposed plan to not go with the obvious legacy characters (which Jon also breaks with). Diversity wise it looks like there won’t be any Latino or Asian legacy holders which is irritating. Especially with how quickly Latinos are becoming the largest minority in America, DC completely overlooking them is facepalm inducing. I wonder if KSD was the one who pushed for Jackson to get the mantle, and what the plan is now? 5G couldn’t have picked a worst time to start. With the DM getting bodied by the pandemic, and your average comic reader being “apathetic” at best and downright hostile to their favs getting replaced at worst, I have to wonder if Snyder talking about Death Metal getting expanded means 5G is getting downgraded.
    My understanding is DC told KSD to use Jackson to set him up as 5G Aquaman.
    Yeah, but the question is 10 years vs 3 to 5. And the idea seems to be to keep some of the kid/teen heroes we know as young adults (Damian's generation). Then you also have to take into account the characters that are getting "everything" back. Tim's generation for example are now in their late 20s early 30s with "everything" and the possible timeskip on top of that. You add on 10 years and that puts them in their 40s and maybe not were DC needs them hence why the timeline isn't actually the legit 80 years of the real world. If Jon was the non-negotiable choice and they still wanted other characters to be a certain age, then Jon's age is the one that had to budge.

Granted, this is just from what I understand at the moment.
    This is making my head hurt .

You should've been around when we were figuring out birthdays, ages, and world events lol Though from what I understand the world events part will now be downplayed. I'll miss the idea of it, but it's for the best (in terms of the longevity of the relaunch) if you ask me.

My theory is that they're aware that replacing Superman is harder than replacing Batman or even Spider-Man. And it's a bit of a paradox. He's not as popular as Batman or Spider-Man, but he's arguably the most recognizable superhero ever, and he's basically never been replaced seriously. Making it a passing of the torch from father to son (who happens to have been created to look like his dad) goes down smoother than a full on Miles Morales situation. While being such an icon, Superman (the IP) is also relatively more fragile than the Bat or the Spider. I can't really speak to anyone else because very little has been confirmed or hinted about the directions.

My understanding is DC told KSD to use Jackson to set him up as 5G Aquaman.

Hm I thought it was KSD’s idea to bring Aqualad into Aquaman’s book but maybe I have that wrong.
    You should've been around when we were figuring out birthdays, ages, and world events lol Though from what I understand the world events part will now be downplayed. I'll miss the idea of it, but it's for the best (in terms of the longevity of the relaunch) if you ask me.

My theory is that they're aware that replacing Superman is harder than replacing Batman or even Spider-Man. And it's a bit of a paradox. He's not as popular as Batman or Spider-Man, but he's arguably the most recognizable superhero ever, and he's basically never been replaced seriously. Making it a passing of the torch from father to son (who happens to have been created to look like his dad) goes down smoother than a full on Miles Morales situation. While being such an icon, Superman (the IP) is also relatively more fragile than the Bat or the Spider. I can't really speak to anyone else because very little has been confirmed or hinted about the directions.
    Kenan was pretty well received while aged up Jon... hasn’t been. Not saying you’re wrong, but the reaction to aged up Jon is something that I would take note of and adjust for if I was DC. But I can kind of see the logic when you put it that way. That said I can’t see a world in which Luke Fox Batman outsells Bruce Wayne beyond maybe issue 1, and with the pandemic going on a lot of people may drop off monthlies especially if their favs are getting replaced.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-20-2020 at 10:32 AM.

I have to wonder if Snyder talking about Death Metal getting expanded means 5G is getting downgraded.
    I actually took that as them trying to piggyback off the wave of Death Metal to make 5G a smoother hit. Snyder was talking about Death Metal ushering in the Generations "everything counts" timeline, and that's directly 5G.

And from what it sounds like, creators may be extending the life of the runs they're working on right now to drip feed back into a position where they can prime for 5G. As I understand it Death Metal is also being pushed back even after DC's new distribution idea.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-20-2020 at 10:35 AM.

I actually took that as them trying to piggyback off the wave of Death Metal to make 5G a smoother hit.

And from what it sounds like, creators may be extending the life of the stuff right now to drip feed back into a position where they can prime for 5G. As I understand it Death Metal is also being pushed back even after DC's new distribution idea.
    Snyder’s fights with Didio were precisely about him not wanting 5G to piggyback off his stuff (according to BC), so I don’t think that will happen.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well, each franchises could have have different needs. They might have wanted poc characters for a change for Batman. I mean, black panther was a huge success.

Forgot Snyder had this to say about the Generations one shots:
    Generations is more of a recounting of DC History right now, rather than being a big catalyst for things. The reconnecting of continuity – making it all one big story – is our job via Death Metal and we're honoured and humbled and excited and terrified to be doing it."
    So who knows what the plan is post-Didio?