Page 564 of 613 FirstFirst ... 64464514554560561562563564565566567568574 ... LastLast
Results 8,446 to 8,460 of 9194

Dc will probably never get another shot at the shared movie universe. And I doubt they will ever attempt it again. They had their window and missed it. Literally all evidence points to the contrary that they are already planning a go at it.
    Anyway I think Diana is a very different animal than Clark or Bruce. If Clark or Bruce are supposed to be 16, 25, 35, 50 or beyond years of age. Then that’s going to seriously inform their characterization in the story you are telling.
    For Wonder Woman though? Whenever I read her I have no idea if she’s supposed to be 20 or 2,000 years old. And it doesn’t really matter! She almost never comes across as young Diana or old Diana, she’s kinda always just Diana.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 04-20-2020 at 01:38 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have my doubts WB has put that much thought into this.
    Thing is, it doesn't really require them doing much but waiting, weathering Marvel draining shots uncontested from the baseline for a while, and continuing on how they've been for a while.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    If AT&T/WB are thinking beyond Gadot, Momoa, and the scattered rag-tag bunch of movies keeping whatever interest there is in the movies as a whole alive --which I have to imagine they are-- then it seems to potentially check out, yeah. Getting the opportunity to reboot in films without having to acknowledge it as a legit "yeah, we screwed up, so lets do it all over again" is pretty key here.

I think this is one of two things. It either ties in with the idea of the movies running a sort of "Black Label" parallel where they can do eslewords and prestige pictures without having to worry about continuity. It's how Joker was made. Or, pretty simply and in step with the Wonder Woman model, it's a soft reboot all set in the past. From what I heard that was the original plan back in the day (to set it in the past I mean).

That leaves quite a bit of room. All of the DCEU films are sort of just doing their own thing right now, but we all know with them being the OTHER big name in superheroes that AT&T/WB are 100% looking to make the leap back into the shared universe game. But in the meantime, we're gonna get our meat and potatoes in the form of your Aquaman fallow-ups, Suicide Squad follow-ups, Shazam follow-ups, Wonder Woman follow-ups, Flash...thing, Black Adam...thing, and Bruce Batman stuff all staying on their sides of the plate till the comic book and cartoon movie incubators have had the space and time needed.

So for a while the sync wouldn't be there at all, but given the level of planning and apparent backing from AT&T/WB, they're more down for the long game with this shift.

* And this seems to check out with rumors on the comic side given the fact that we've heard that even during 5G DC will still be putting out stories of Clark, Bruce, and Diana's generation in their prime as part of either Black Label, the giant sized line, or possibly part of the normal line in some form.

If even a lick of this is legit, then this finally rivals Disney/Marvel's level of planning and stewardship that the industry and fans a like have marveled at.
    Battison isn’t a prequel, Gordon is a different race now and Alfred was recasted as well. It’s been confirmed the movie takes place in the modern day. The rumors are that the Flash movie will retcon out the Snyderverse movies, so MoS, BvS, and JL will no longer be canon.

I just can’t buy the idea of WB thinking that far ahead.

Frankly the idea of WB planning that far ahead strikes me as very unlikely. They had a chance to replace Bruce Wayne Batman with say Dick Grayson and they didn’t. Plus what you’re talking about would basically require WB to mandate directors make movies with the new versions which I don’t see happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Why not? This isn't ben affleck batman. A new batman is being created. They could put superman into the 40's or70's with jsa. I mean, i heard jsa is being put together. They could just have Robert Pattinson batman along with, a new actor as superman jon kent.
    Because they had a chance to go with a legacy taking over the Bat mantle and instead they chose to reboot Bruce Wayne. Besides what you’re talking about mandates a lot of backstory which defeats the purpose of a reboot in the first place. Jon will not be Superman on screen any time soon.
    Not to mention the dynamic with the Trinity is that they're usually peers, and I don't really see that changing.

This is giving me bad Marvel flashbacks. I ever tell you about how movie synergy helped kill good Marvel cartoons?

I have my doubts WB has put that much thought into this.
    Loeb’s the one who killed Marvel cartoons although synergy was totally a part of it. Pretty sure he’s on record saying kids don’t want continuity they just want to see heroes punch things, hence the awful and cheap Cartoons he made.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Dc will probably never get another shot at the shared movie universe. And I doubt they will ever attempt it again.
    I don't really think there's a situation where a major studio in the position of WB is throwing their hands up on the idea of shared universe just because they didn't get it the first time around. Not a chance at all imo. From what I've read on the studio heads and brand managers, they are very, very aware that they inherently have the most recognizable heroes in modern fiction. Since the shared universe has basically become the expectation by fans, and the proven optimal model for use of these IPs on film, I feel like it's a safe bet that they aren't done. Regrouping, stepping back for a while? Sure. But not done. Even if it's not the exact way I'm assuming, I doubt they are even remotely done.

As an example, as I understand, Miller's version of the Flash showing up during the CW Crisis crossover was not the idea of the showrunners. That was WB calling them up and asking that they do it. That's them being aware that people really get off on all the shared continuity stuff and tickling that for just a moment for some fun. If they were done with that stuff, then they wouldn't have even bothered with that bit of requested fun.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I don't really think there's a situation where a major studio in the position of WB is throwing their hands up on the idea of shared universe just because they didn't get it the first time around. Not a chance at all imo. From what I've read on the studio heads and brand managers, they are very, very aware that they inherently have the most recognizable heroes in modern fiction. Since the shared universe has basically become the expectation by fans, and the proven optimal model for use of these IPs on film, I feel like it's a safe bet that they aren't done. Regrouping, stepping back for a while? Sure. But not done. Even if it's not the exact way I'm assuming, I doubt they are even remotely done.

As an example, as I understand, Miller's version of the Flash showing up during the CW Crisis crossover was not the idea of the showrunners. That was WB calling them up and asking that they do it. That's them being aware that people really get off on all the shared continuity stuff and tickling that for just a moment for some fun. If they were done with that stuff, then they wouldn't have even bothered with that bit of requested fun.
    Yeah dude, I see where you’re going with this but I think you’re way off on your conclusion. The dc shared movie universe as an actual franchise where the shared universe matters in spilled milk. The studio and fans might have wanted it to happen, but it didn’t. And there’s not really any demand for a retry. The existence of the Joker and even moreso the rebooted Batman film are all that’s needed to put any thought of a do over to rest. At least again for like 15 years, if ever. And personally I’m leaning towards never.
    Miller’s Flash movie, IF it happens is the same as all the rest of the DCEU going forward. They might be keeping the actors but future crossovers aren’t gonna go far. They might see potential in its cast, but not the universe itself. Like I said, it’s spilled milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Battison isn’t a prequel, Gordon is a different race now and Alfred was recasted as well. It’s been confirmed the movie takes place in the modern day.
    Then option one of the two. It's no different than Joker.

The rumors are that the Flash movie will retcon out the Snyderverse movies, so MoS, BvS, and JL will no longer be canon.
    This movie's the question mark because it's in such development hell.

I just can’t buy the idea of WB thinking that far ahead.
    Yeah that's the stigma that they're gonna have to deal with till proven otherwise.

Plus what you’re talking about would basically require WB to mandate directors make movies with the new versions which I don’t see happening.
    You don't see a major studio mandating that they make something to plan the way they want??

That's a rather idealized version of things. I mean, Disney/Marvel is pretty famous for this by now. Actors and required plot beats are literally cast and outlined before even a script is made let alone a director picked. There's a reason auteur directors are usually uneasy about working with these big superhero studios.

Heck, famously, Edgar Wright originally wanted Ant-Man to be set in the 60s and be about Hank, but obviously that didn't fly, and even when he worked on the modern day Ant-Man (Scott) he left over creative differences. Brie Larson and Mahershala Ali were both cast as Captain Marvel and Blade respectively before ink hit paper or a director was picked. Oftentimes with these big movies, directors aren't even allowed big changes to the story outline, and are only relegated to changes in script.

In short, yeah, I'm pretty confidant WB won't have any issues mandating something that a perspective director must follow. And I imagine Snyder has left them a little shy when it comes to directorial vision.

Like I said, it’s spilled milk.
    I respect the thought, but I disagree that a studio cares in any way about any assumed window of when it could've happened, or if they already screwed it up while another studio is making a ludicrous amount of money going off a model that they can also follow. This isn't Universal studio's ill-fated "Dark Universe" (which is apparently still being pushed internally to happen, further making my point). It's the place with Batman, Superman, and Harry Potter. Sony, even while still being partnered with Disney/Marvel for Spider-Man, still has every intention making making their own shared continuity as shown by their dumb vampire movie, their Venom movie, their much threatened Sinister Six movie, and their Silver Sable movie. Yes. You heard right. "Silver Sable". They want a shared universe so bad (while they're already partnered with the world's biggest on screen shared universe) that they're willing to make Not-Black Widow: The Movie.

If a studio has a pop culture IP that's even remotely recognizable, they're making a shared universe out of it. That just makes me doubt that the place with the most recognizable IPs is gonna not do that because they fell off their bike and skinned their knee a bit in the big picture. But I'm will you that they'll be taking a break from linking everything up for a relatively long time.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-20-2020 at 02:54 PM.

. If a studio has a pop culture IP that's even remotely recognizable, they're making a shared universe out of it.
    Literally the only shared universe that got off the ground IS the MCU. That Sony shared universe is only around because they are going to leach off of the MCU, by having Jameson cameo in future Mobious and Venom movies and eventually having them fight Holland’s Spider-Man.
    A franchise having an occasional spin-off like Fantastic Beasts and Hobbes and Shaw aren’t the equivalent of the very special and unique phenomenon that is the MCU at all.
    Jesus, what does this have to do with Bendis’s Superman run? Is it’s god awful quality and poor creative decisions so hard to defend that we have to compensate by making it the biggest thing ever. God what a mess.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 04-20-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Jesus, what does this have to do with Bendis’s Superman run? Is it’s god awful quality and poor creative decisions so hard to defend that we have to compensate by making it the biggest thing ever. God what a mess.
    If you say so.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-20-2020 at 03:33 PM.

If you say so.
    Pretty much exactly what I’m saying, yeah.

I don't think WB is in any rush to have a major shared universe, especially when it's almost incapable of one with all these different versions running around and they've lost some of the tentpole actors they had when they originally tried to kick one off. Obviously the MCU is massively successful but WB dropped the ball in trying to implement a DC equivalent and don't seem interested in a repeat attempt at the moment even if the brands are tailor-made for it.

I think we will be seeing a lot more standalones then we will a shared DC universe for the foreseeable future.
    If a studio has a pop culture IP that's even remotely recognizable, they're making a shared universe out of it. That just makes me doubt that the place with the most recognizable IPs is gonna not do that because they fell off their bike and skinned their knee a bit in the big picture. But I'm will you that they'll be taking a break from linking everything up for a relatively long time.
    And that's the kind of thinking that has led to a bunch of failed shared universes.

If WB sees there is success with standalone features not bogged down by a shared universe, I think they will keep to that until they feel comfortable otherwise, which I agree won't be happening any time soon.

I don't think WB is in any rush to have a major shared universe, especially when it's almost incapable of one with all these different versions running around and they've lost some of the tentpole actors they had when they originally tried to kick one off. Obviously the MCU is massively successful but WB dropped the ball in trying to implement a DC equivalent and don't seem interested in a repeat attempt at the moment even if the brands are tailor-made for it.

I think we will be seeing a lot more standalones then we will a shared DC universe for the foreseeable future.

And that's the kind of thinking that has led to a bunch of failed shared universes.

If WB sees there is success with standalone features not bogged down by a shared universe, I think they will keep to that until they feel comfortable otherwise, which I agree won't be happening any time soon.
    Well, maybe not in movies, but the Arrowverse, despite certain criticisms, has been fairly successful.

Exactly. That's exactly my point. That kind of thinking isn't something I just pulled from thin air. It's the very real general line of thought that a bunch of studios have and likely will continue to have so long the shared universe model remains viable.

I agree. I think they'll ride the calmer waters of standalone films for a bit (with spin-offs. Aquaman is getting some weird horror spin off thing) and gain some distance from their crash. I just disagree with you and don't feel that WB is somehow the one major studio just above the whole shared universe craze because they messed up before. Just a matter of time/distance. Superman Returns to Man of Steel was 7 years (not a direct comparison, but just an example of time/distance). How much they're comfortable with is the main factor imo.

IF they were already planning on ever revisting the shared universe concept, which I so, so very much doubt. They'd be using Patterson's Batman as the foundation. Not some kind of Luke Fox reboot. But I digress. Calling what's going on a "shared universe craze" just seems out of date. A few years ago, yeah we'd be calling it that. But right now? The only real shared universe that ended up catching was the one that kicked it off, the MCU (the tv Arrowverse is different medium, like bringing the Timm Dini animated dc universe or those CSI tv shows, is not a good comparison). So no, I think it's highly far fetched to think the powers that be already have plans for some huge venture after Patterson, Gadot, etc wrap up.
    Could dc see 5G as a means to create new source material, sure. The comics are basically an IP farm now. But I do think it's safe to say that there won't be another go at a meaningful shared movie universe for a very, very long time, if ever.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 04-20-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Mighty Member

The thing is the films that have been a success critically and commercially in the DCEU have been the ones that have lacked major connections to the shared Universe. Studio executives can be dense and follow insane troll logic most of the time, but I can't believe the fact that Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and The Joker were all embraced while Dawn of Justice, Justice League, and various Harley Quinn vehicles have been pretty much rejected have been lost on them. The messaging they are receiving runs counter to idea that they should be pursuing an intricate Cinematic Universe that really only Marvel Studios has been able to successfully pull off.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers