Page 566 of 613 FirstFirst ... 66466516556562563564565566567568569570576 ... LastLast
Results 8,476 to 8,490 of 9194

He mentions House Kent won’t be able to just punch the Crime Families down. They will have to contend with them out of costume. To be honest though I wouldn’t mind the Metropolis Underworld stockpiling firepower for go to war with the Superfamily. I mean hell there’s probably a few vials of the Amazo Virus still around, or Intergang could sell them some alien weapons. A gang war in Metropolis should be like an interstellar war between planets imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He mentions House Kent won’t be able to just punch the Crime Families down. They will have to contend with them out of costume. To be honest though I wouldn’t mind the Metropolis Underworld stockpiling firepower for go to war with the Superfamily. I mean hell there’s probably a few vials of the Amazo Virus still around, or Intergang could sell them some alien weapons. A gang war in Metropolis should be like an interstellar war between planets imo.
    Which is kind of weird when they don't really have distinct civilian identities anymore.

I dunno, kind of makes sense.

With super villains, there's a very public display of criminal activity. There's no doubt that the dude with the flaming skull for a head is the guy who blew up buildings. Plenty of witnesses and evidence, the only thing Superman needs to do is incapacitate the villain and the legal system can take it from there.

Organized crime is a different matter; they cover their asses from casual legal persecution. So what is Superman gonna do? Pull a mob boss out of his house and drop him off at the PD? What charges can be brought against the guy? Even when everyone knows the guy is guilty, proving it lawfully is another matter. Just look at Kingpin or Lex; everyone knows they're dirty but it can't be proven. And in stories where Lex and Fisk are taken down, it's typically not a fist fight that does it, it's Lois' expose or Murdock's law skill.

Al Capone was taken down because of tax evasion, not for having a shoot out with the cops in front of a bank with bags of stolen money in front of him. So it makes sense to me that it'll be Clark Kent's investigative skills that bring down Metropolis' organized crime and not Superman's raw strength.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno, kind of makes sense.

With super villains, there's a very public display of criminal activity. There's no doubt that the dude with the flaming skull for a head is the guy who blew up buildings. Plenty of witnesses and evidence, the only thing Superman needs to do is incapacitate the villain and the legal system can take it from there.

Organized crime is a different matter; they cover their asses from casual legal persecution. So what is Superman gonna do? Pull a mob boss out of his house and drop him off at the PD? What charges can be brought against the guy? Even when everyone knows the guy is guilty, proving it lawfully is another matter. Just look at Kingpin or Lex; everyone knows they're dirty but it can't be proven. And in stories where Lex and Fisk are taken down, it's typically not a fist fight that does it, it's Lois' expose or Murdock's law skill.

Al Capone was taken down because of tax evasion, not for having a shoot out with the cops in front of a bank with bags of stolen money in front of him. So it makes sense to me that it'll be Clark Kent's investigative skills that bring down Metropolis' organized crime and not Superman's raw strength.
    Oh, I get that much. It just feels weird for me to have that come off of Clark Kent outing himself and involving all the non-reporters in the family.

Oh, yeah that is weird.

I figure this is probably either a chance to show the family's intelligence rather than their brawn, or the whole thing with taking down the mobs is going to be background noise for a lot of character interaction and establishing the new Kent normal. Maybe both.

But yeah, this does seem like a story you would've wanted to tell before outing Clark's identity. My bad man, totally misunderstood you.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Oh wow, you guys think this is should've been before the reveal?

The interview doesn't say much, but form what is said, it doesn't sound like this is Clark taking down the mob as a reporter. He says something along the lines of "what would Superman's family be like if they were a crime family-- but a good natured one?" and that it'll be them "meet[ing] organized crime on their level instead of superheroing it. Superhering it has been cutting it, so they'll have to get a little gritty."

I could totally be way. way off or have missed something, but that sounds like 'The Super-Godfather', right? According to Bendis, they're gonna go "full Kandor" on someone. I'm assuming that means the House of Kent's version of kneecapping and drive-bys is shrinking.

Might be how we contextualize and really underscore how Clark's family and friends stay safe now. I mean, most people have see Goodfellas, right? You know who to treat right and not mess with.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I hope of house kent is badass like house of the straw hat is.

A friend of mine who reads only manga, looked at me crazy when i said superman and luffy should be alike.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-23-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

A friend of mine who reads only manga, looked at me crazy when i said superman and luffy should be alike.
    I read One Piece up until a bit after the time skip several years in and hoo boy can I not go with you there. Luffy isn't a good touchstone for Clark outside of his devotion to his friends and liking a good scrap which is a trait pretty much every shounen protagonist shares. I think Luffy may fit closer to Jon, if anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I read One Piece up until a bit after the time skip several years in and hoo boy can I not go with you there. Luffy isn't a good touchstone for Clark outside of his devotion to his friends and liking a good scrap which is a trait pretty much every shounen protagonist shares. I think Luffy may fit closer to Jon, if anyone.
    Nah! Luffy and clark are pretty much alike. Jon and luffy have nothing in common. Jon isn't an agent of change, clark should be. Jon is pretty much positive arc character or should be. He is there because jimmy isn't being used. Luffy is like idiotic selfish version of the goldenage superman or golden superman is like intelligent heroic version of luffy. They are both straight arrows honest, blunt, to the point and reckless. Not to mention dreams and freedom is what they are all about.Luffy and clark suck at diplomacy or don't really give speeches.

I don't know what your problem is with luffy after timeskip. For me, one piece is still pretty fantastic. Jimbei is back, joined the crew and all hell is going to break lose with kaido and bigmom. Comparing that world to Superman's world would be an insult to one piece. They are not on the same level or playing field. And i do believe, current superman wouldn't measure up to luffy as a person. That's just my opinion.

It would be funny, if like you say jon does become like luffy. Well, that would be big head ache for clark. Why? He would be running around causing all kinds of chaos. He would be taking down dictators. Taking countries under his wing.Punching the day lights out of any racist that causes trouble and not willing to reason. Ending things that causes slavery, human trafficking... Etc. He would beating up corrupt officers, politicians... Etc. Jon wouldn't give a damn about rules or protocols or plans.He would be stealing from every rich person and give it to the poor. He would punch delinquents, lazy bums, gang leaders straight and make them do real work and take them under his wing need be. He would be running around reckless without a defence punching through any wall, that's in his way.Even if he breaks his hands in the process . All in all, jon kent would be infamous and controversial. The media will despise him and the police, heck! The military will chase him. He would be praised by those close to him and hated everyone else. Clark would himself need to catch him. Furthermore, if clark does do anything to restrict jon's freedom. Jon would either run away or fight him or do both. It might even lead to clark either being forced to kill jon, by his "superiors" . That is, if he can. Essentially, darkknight returns this time with his son. Either way jon would be something clark can't tame or reason with or control . Clark would become garp. There isn't any possible way that's going to end well for clark.do you really wanna pull on that thread? It won't be pretty.

There is a reason The initial is "d". It can mean the devil. Current clark who is the embodiment of the messiah,would be at odds with jon.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-24-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I think one last Kent focused story before the reveal would've been a nice send off to the old status quo, yeah. And taking on organized crime would've been a "proper" Kent story.

But like I said, if this sets up the new normal that's cool too.

As for the Kents being a kind of crime family, but good guys.....we're already easing into the idea of Earth President Superman and the Kents being a political family so.....basically the same thing.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

The interview doesn't say much, but form what is said, it doesn't sound like this is Clark taking down the mob as a reporter. He says something along the lines of "what would Superman's family be like if they were a crime family-- but a good natured one?" and that it'll be them "meet[ing] organized crime on their level instead of superheroing it. Superhering it has been cutting it, so they'll have to get a little gritty."

I could totally be way. way off or have missed something, but that sounds like 'The Super-Godfather', right? According to Bendis, they're gonna go "full Kandor" on someone. I'm assuming that means the House of Kent's version of kneecapping and drive-bys is shrinking.

Might be how we contextualize and really underscore how Clark's family and friends stay safe now. I mean, most people have see Goodfellas, right? You know who to treat right and not mess with.
    I guess if this is the "endgame" for Clark Kent as Superman, it makes sense that he'd want to go out ending all major crime in Metropoplis even if means he has to go all out and force it to end one way or another. Not sure if that will come off well, but I guess we'll have to see it in execution. Just not feeling it as a Superfamily story.

Personally I would've preferred a reporter bringing down the mobs story, but that's just me.

Are we going to have all the Kents rocking suits as they take down the crime families ?

(Boo on no girls in this picture though. Nami and Robin can't look intimidating in suits?).
    I don't know what your problem is with luffy after timeskip. For me, one piece is still pretty fantastic. Jimbei is back, joined the crew and all hell is going to break lose with kaido and bigmom. Comparing that world to Superman's world would be an insult to one piece. They are not on the same level or playing field. And i do believe, current superman wouldn't measure up to luffy as a person. That's just my opinion.
    I'm up to date on the official English release but for some reason I've just never been able to get into One Piece like I have with other Shonen franchises. I've never quite figured out why that is.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And taking on organized crime would've been a "proper" Kent story.
    Oh you meant in a more general sense rather than the specific story of Clark/Superman becoming the head of a good crime family, then yeah I see what you're saying.

As for the Kents being a kind of crime family, but good guys.....we're already easing into the idea of Earth President Superman and the Kents being a political family so.....basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally I would've preferred a reporter bringing down the mobs story, but that's just me.
    I do wonder how the staff at the Daily Planet will factor in. Leone's just been exposed after all. In any case, it's nice to hear that Lois is involved in this.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess if this is the "endgame" for Clark Kent as Superman, it makes sense that he'd want to go out ending all major crime in Metropoplis even if means he has to go all out and force it to end one way or another. Not sure if that will come off well, but I guess we'll have to see it in execution. Just not feeling it as a Superfamily story.

Are we going to have all the Kents rocking suits as they take down the crime families ?

(Boo on no girls in this picture though. Nami and Robin can't look intimidating in suits?).

I'm up to date on the official English release but for some reason I've just never been able to get into One Piece like I have with other Shonen franchises. I've never quite figured out why that is.
    It is pretty long and pacing can be monotonous and story can get repeatative, there is a lack of stakes as well with oda never refusal to kill willy-nilly . But, the sheer adventure and romance just pulls me into it. The story might feel like it's has no depth from the artstyle and buffoonry.but, It does. Oda has been working on the same story since his high school. Imagine playing around with a story in your head for that long.

It is pretty long and pacing can be monotonous and story can get repeatative, there is a lack of stakes as well with oda never refusal to kill willy-nilly . But, the sheer adventure and romance just pulls me into it. The story might feel like it's has no depth from the artstyle and buffoonry.but, It does. Oda has been working on the same story since his high school. Imagine playing around with a story in your head for that long.
    See, I acknowledge the mass amount of creativity and the complexity Oda puts into his work, as welll as the dynamic paneling and fight sequences...and I get some of the pathos behind the emotional moments, but there's just something that keeps me from getting too invested in it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Nah! Luffy and clark are pretty much alike. Jon and luffy have nothing in common. Jon isn't an agent of change, clark should be. Jon is pretty much positive arc character or should be. He is there because jimmy isn't being used. Luffy is like idiotic selfish version of the goldenage superman or golden superman is like intelligent heroic version of luffy. They are both straight arrows honest, blunt, to the point and reckless. Not to mention dreams and freedom is what they are all about.Luffy and clark suck at diplomacy or don't really give speeches.

It would be funny, if like you say jon does become like luffy. Well, that would be big head ache for clark. Why? He would be running around causing all kinds of chaos. He would be taking down dictators. Taking countries under his wing.Punching the day lights out of any racist that causes trouble and not willing to reason. Ending things that causes slavery, human trafficking... Etc. He would beating up corrupt officers, politicians... Etc. Jon wouldn't give a damn about rules or protocols or plans.He would be stealing from every rich person and give it to the poor. He would punch delinquents, lazy bums, gang leaders straight and make them do real work and take them under his wing need be. He would be running around reckless without a defence punching through any wall, that's in his way.Even if he breaks his hands in the process . All in all, jon kent would be infamous and controversial. The media will despise him and the police, heck! The military will chase him. He would be praised by those close to him and hated everyone else. Clark would himself need to catch him. Furthermore, if clark does do anything to restrict jon's freedom. Jon would either run away or fight him or do both. It might even lead to clark either being forced to kill jon, by his "superiors" . That is, if he can. Essentially, darkknight returns this time with his son. Either way jon would be something clark can't tame or reason with or control . Clark would become garp. There isn't any possible way that's going to end well for clark.do you really wanna pull on that thread? It won't be pretty.

There is a reason The initial is "d". It can mean the devil. Current clark who is the embodiment of the messiah,would be at odds with jon.
    Thing is Luffy was never a complicated character. He's a generic shounen protagonist (with all the usual trappings) with his unique traits being dumb and eternally hungry, which frankly is also Goku's thing. Every other thing about him is pretty much the usual tract for characters in that genre. He's a simple character so that the world around him can be more complicated and he won't mess things up; he works as a vehicle to push the narrative and he served that purpose fine. And I was just over One Piece in general. It just plain lost me and the time skip was when I realized I didn't care for it anymore.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I just can't buy a ticket for that train of thought.