Page 570 of 613 FirstFirst ... 70470520560566567568569570571572573574580 ... LastLast
Results 8,536 to 8,550 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Has anyone considered that John Ridley's run Batman got the ax because Ridley's got two movies in production (one in post production) that he's both writing and directing (implying that this is a Ridley thing rather than a Luke Fox thing)? And given that the movie and TV industry are gonna have a hell of a time functioning for the foreseeable future, maybe he prioritized those jobs and his continued work in film over comics for the moment? And since DC has been serious enough about these new books remaining of a consistent quality that they'd put them into production well in advance of roll out, I imagine they're not really up for any delays when it comes to their biggest IP while they're making their biggest move.

A lack of consistency and planning is what DiDio recently lamented as his biggest frustration with the New 52, and I have to imagine this was a shared sentiment given the level of production with this thing. And Tom King even more recently said that they're trying to get things as perfect as possible before roll out.

It's a thought at least.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-14-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

By itself sure I could see that. But in conjunction with Didio’s departure and Snyder outright saying that plans for after 2020 have been changed? I can’t see that as anything other than 5G getting shut down or severely downsized.

Changed plans and an expanded timetable don't really equal totally scrapped, right? Plus, there's Tom King saying that it's still going on, but they're continuing to plan and adjust it so it's perfect (his words). Plus, this news being specifically just about Batman without confirming anyone else makes it read like DC looking out for its own, and Ridley doing the same for himself during really uncertain times for both parties.

I dunno. I'm not really saying much of anything, honestly. Just making an observation mostly.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-13-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Generations 1 wasn't on the schedule for July either apparently and no one is even acknowledging it exists anymore. So either it's all being pushed way way back, or it's significantly changed.

Snyder's still talking about it though. He's now making it sound like it's a companion piece to the aftermath of Death Metal.

He also weirdly keeps calling Death Metal a "generational" story.

And he's continuing to perpetuate DiDio's tagline (DiDio was talking specifically about the timeline) of "everything counts", and connecting all of DC's history. And the way Snyder is talking about Death Metal in general makes it sound like something the one could reasonably assume is setting up the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Generations 1 wasn't on the schedule for July either apparently and no one is even acknowledging it exists anymore. So either it's all being pushed way way back, or it's significantly changed.
    Was just about to post this. Yeah I think that entire plan has been scrapped at this point. They might do another attempt at Generations down the line, but I don’t think 5G is happening anymore. That bit with WWII Diana might just end up not leading to anything now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Snyder's still talking about it though. He's now making it sound like it's a companion piece to the aftermath of Death Metal.

He also weirdly keeps calling Death Metal a "generational" story.

And he's continuing to perpetuate DiDio's tagline (DiDio was talking specifically about the timeline) of "everything counts", and connecting all of DC's history. And the way Snyder is talking about Death Metal in general makes it sound like something the one could reasonably assume is setting up the timeline.
    The difference is in how I think Didio and Snyder approach “everything matters”. With Didio it seemed like an opportunity to do another reboot and relaunch whereas I don’t think that’s what Snyder is planning at all. Metal used a lot of the Pre-Flashpoint continuity, as did JL, but it didn’t waste time trying to fit everything into a neat timeline. Everything happened, don’t worry if some parts contradict each other, just focus on the big picture.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-13-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Has anyone considered that John Ridley's run Batman got the ax because Ridley's got two movies in production (one in post production) that he's both writing and directing (implying that this is a Ridley thing rather than a Luke Fox thing)? And given that the movie and TV industry are gonna have a hell of a time functioning for the foreseeable future, maybe he prioritized those jobs and his continued work in film over comics for the moment? And since DC has been serious enough about these new books remaining of a consistent quality that they'd put them into production well in advance of roll out, I imagine they're not really up for any delays when it comes to their biggest IP while they're making their biggest move.

A lack of consistency and planning is what DiDio recently lamented as his biggest frustration with the New 52, and I have to imagine they was a shared sentiment given the level of production with this thing, and Tom King even more recently saying that they're trying to get things as perfect as possible before roll out.

It's a thought at least.
    It's possible I suppose, I'd be shocked if everything from 5G was scrapped. And there is the fact that it was clear DC was heading towards a relaunch in the fall with all books looking like they were getting towards a stopping point based on solicits, so I definitely think we will still see some "generation" titles like Snyders JSA book, but everything else is still remaining to be seen..

A relaunch is totally coming given that DC’s sales are pretty crappy all around. But the main Leaguers getting replaced? Yeah I don’t see that happening anymore.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Anyone listen to this yet, a discussion between Bendis and Gene Luen Yang on Superman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9rq...ture=emb_title
    Do these guys talk about anything regarding future direction of superman, if 5g ain't happening ?is there a mention of jon? It would be much appreciated, if someone can tell me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The difference is in how I think Didio and Snyder approach “everything matters”. With Didio it seemed like an opportunity to do another reboot and relaunch whereas I don’t think that’s what Snyder is planning at all. Metal used a lot of the Pre-Flashpoint continuity, as did JL, but it didn’t waste time trying to fit everything into a neat timeline. Everything happened, don’t worry if some parts contradict each other, just focus on the big picture.
    I dunno, we'll have to see. Just seems odd to make that your tagline and regularly use the term "generational" when both are most associated with a direction you're apparently not going in any longer. To my recollection, Snyder used neither of those terms to describe Death Metal before DiDio's exit. It was only after that he came out and said that Death Metal had gotten even bigger that he started talking like that. He's also now talking about how this will create a cohesive continuity where everything matters to go forward with. Isn't that exactly what DiDio was saying about the new timeline before he left?

With him talking about how he's going to have a role in developing what comes next, maybe he'll just be spearheading a new version of 5G that won't be out till next year? If the rumor of WB/AT&T backing the idea is true, then maybe they're looking to Snyder to mastermind a better version?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-14-2020 at 12:14 PM.

It's possible I suppose, I'd be shocked if everything from 5G was scrapped. And there is the fact that it was clear DC was heading towards a relaunch in the fall with all books looking like they were getting towards a stopping point based on solicits, so I definitely think we will still see some "generation" titles like Snyders JSA book, but everything else is still remaining to be seen..
    If Bendis is still on Superman then he could probably instigate whatever 5G changes he had planned.
    With him talking about how he's going to have a role in developing what comes next, maybe he'll just be spearheading a new version of 5G that won't be out till next year? If the rumor of WB/AT&T backing the idea is true, then maybe they're looking to Snyder to mastermind a better version?
    5G turns into a bunch of colorful metaphysics, continuity nods, and monologues .

Snyder has described it as an "Anti-Crisis" where everything will count. It's kind of been compared to Hickman's Secret Wars as well, with this Death Metal world being akin to Battleworld. It's possible that the "everything will count" aspect of it is a vague allusion that when everything gets put back together they are going to have a cohesive continuity - acknowledging the various splits in time and reality. It's just that the end point from our POV of the main DCU, isn't going to be a 5G timeline anymore. These Generation books might get repurposed as just elseworlds or something. And things like the Batman changes just getting scrapped completely.

Like I said, I dunno. It just all doesn't sound as simple as "it's for sure not gonna happen" or "it's totally gonna happen in the exact same way as we heard", so I'm keeping as much in mind as possible.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-13-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If Bendis is still on Superman then he could probably instigate whatever 5G changes he had planned.

5G turns into a bunch of colorful metaphysics, continuity nods, and monologues .
    Jon will probably become Superman but it won’t be a long term thing. Well either that or he gets deaged since Bendis only aged him up in the first place because Didio wanted him to be 5G Superman lol.

Anyone listen to this yet, a discussion between Bendis and Gene Luen Yang on Superman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9rq...ture=emb_title
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yang says revealing Clark’s identity was never his idea and he didn’t want to do it, but that he does like how Bendis is handling it. Haha I feel very vindicated hearing that, now I can totally blame Berengaza for Yang’s mainline Superman run being terrible. God I hope he gets another shot.
    That was a pretty good interview. There were quite a few little nuggets of information in there that I hadn't heard about before. Like Yang was brought on initially to write New Super-Man, which he also thought was a terrible idea and didn't want to do until Jim Lee talked to him. Then he got Superman, but says he didn't like the New 52 setup and wanted to write the traditional Superman he grew up with.

Bendis directly confirms for the first time I think that the Rebirth teams were going to be done after Action Comics 1000 even if he didn't come over to DC. He's kind of danced around it before, but basically says he only took the books because they were going to be available. Didio and Lee had offered Bendis a Legion relaunch two years before he came over to DC (so somewhere around 2015?).

I think the bit they touch on with how much of the mythos of Superman has been influenced by his portrayals in outside media was interesting too. It is probably truer for Superman than any other comic character, including Batman.