Page 571 of 613 FirstFirst ... 71471521561567568569570571572573574575581 ... LastLast
Results 8,551 to 8,565 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Bendis directly confirms for the first time I think that the Rebirth teams were going to be done after Action Comics 1000 even if he didn't come over to DC. He's kind of danced around it before, but basically says he only took the books because they were going to be available. Didio and Lee had offered Bendis a Legion relaunch two years before he came over to DC (so somewhere around 2015?).
    He said that in the Comic Pop interview with Sal as well but that's not necessarily true, or at least I suspect Bendis was told the Rebirth creative teams were done after Action #1000. A Twitter user claimed they spoke with one of the creators at NYCC 2 years ago and were told they had 2 more years of stories mapped out.

https://twitter.com/AJGordon2889/sta...38782819258368

Also, Gleason stated in an old Instagram post that they had 100 issues planned for Superman before they were told they were being taken off the title and that Imperius Lex could have ended with Lois finding out she was pregnant with a daughter.

https://imgur.com/hjT4w4M

I remember seeing Tomasi say something similar but I can't find the tweet. In any case, I think it's possible Didio may have pushed the still popular Rebirth teams off both Superman titles to sweeten the deal for Bendis to jump ship from Marvel to DC. Namely by offering him total creative control on one of the DC characters he wanted to write most. If Tomasi and Gleason had stayed on as planned, Bendis would have been less likely to take over Superman entirely and possibly less likely to switch from Marvel to DC exclusive which is what Didio wanted.
    Last edited by Lvenger; 05-14-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    He said that in the Comic Pop interview with Sal as well but that's not necessarily true, or at least Bendis was told the Rebirth creative teams were done after Action #1000. A Twitter user claimed they spoke with one of the creators at NYCC 2 years ago and were told they had 2 more years of stories mapped out.

Also, Gleason stated in an old Instagram post that they had 100 issues planned for Superman before they were told they were being taken off the title.

I remember seeing Tomasi say something similar but I can't find the tweet. In any case, I think Didio may have pushed the still popular Rebirth teams off both Superman titles to sweeten the deal for Bendis to jump ship from Marvel to DC by offering him one of the characters he wanted to write. If Tomasi and Gleason had been kept on, Bendis would have been less likely to take over Superman entirely and possibly less likely to switch from Marvel to DC exclusive which is what Didio wanted.
    Didio pretty much confirmed that there were plans to shake things up though, with Lois leaving the books for an extended period of time. So while it's possible they just made that up to justify letting Bendis on them, it's probably more likely they were looking to change direction with 1000 regardless.
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-14-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    By itself sure I could see that. But in conjunction with Didio’s departure and Snyder outright saying that plans for after 2020 have been changed? I can’t see that as anything other than 5G getting shut down or severely downsized.
    I dunno, that seems like an extreme reaction to me. I don't know if it's an "all or nothing" type of situation.

We know plans have changed. We don't know what plans, or how much they've been changed. Hell we don't know for sure what the original plan was in the first place. For all we know, 5G is still happening and the main Big 6 heroes are still being replaced, but instead of characters like Luke Fox it'll be familiar ones like Dick Grayson.

Or maybe the plan was to replace the entire publishing line with new people in the roles but now it's only happening to some characters.

Or maybe the plan was to put the classic heroes in Black Label mini's while the replacements get all the ongoings, but now the originals will be getting ongoing books along with their replacements, utilizing the deeper timeline Didio showed off last year.

Or who knows what. Until we get real information and not just vague comments, I don't think we can really say. Hell, we can't even make educated guesses, just stabs in the dark.

For what little it's worth, I get the impression that the details and execution of 5G is being changed, but the basic idea is still going forward. But we'll know what's up when we get announcements.....whenever that is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

That was a pretty good interview. There were quite a few little nuggets of information in there that I hadn't heard about before. Like Yang was brought on initially to write New Super-Man, which he also thought was a terrible idea and didn't want to do until Jim Lee talked to him. Then he got Superman, but says he didn't like the New 52 setup and wanted to write the traditional Superman he grew up with.

Bendis directly confirms for the first time I think that the Rebirth teams were going to be done after Action Comics 1000 even if he didn't come over to DC. He's kind of danced around it before, but basically says he only took the books because they were going to be available. Didio and Lee had offered Bendis a Legion relaunch two years before he came over to DC (so somewhere around 2015?).

I think the bit they touch on with how much of the mythos of Superman has been influenced by his portrayals in outside media was interesting too. It is probably truer for Superman than any other comic character, including Batman.
    The Donner films influence on everything can’t be overstated enough. Everything about the Fortress from its look, to its origin, to the Jor-El AI come from that movie.

I don’t know if the plan was for Tomasi & Gleason/Jurgens to be removed from the Superbooks, because I remember an Action solicit on Amazon after AC 1000 that still had Jurgens writing. However it was going to collect an arc about Clark dealing with his new status quo, so the Kents living in Hamilton was always going to come to an end by 1000. There was definitely a shake up coming.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The Donner films influence on everything can’t be overstated enough. Everything about the Fortress from its look, to its origin, to the Jor-El AI come from that movie.
    Also, Max fleischer he created daily planet, metropolis and modern superman. I also prefer, the giant key fortress and the idea that superman built the fortress.

Yeah, and the radio show created kryptonite and Jimmy Olsen to if I'm remembering correctly. It was an interesting angle to consider.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Yeah, and the radio show created kryptonite and Jimmy Olsen to if I'm remembering correctly. It was an interesting angle to consider.
    Actually, a coffee boy appears in action comics 6. It is believed to be jimmy or proto jimmy.

Yep Kryptonite and Olsen are from the radio show, the VA for Superman needed time off so they invented Kryptonite so Supes could spend a few episodes simply wailing in pain. Siegel and Shuster were going to introduce “K-Metal” that was basically Kryptonite but that issue never got published. He only started flying because of the Fleschier cartoons because that was easier to animate than jumping. Smallville was responsible for deaging Lex after Byrne made him older than Clark, and restoring the Clark/Lex connection as kids, since Waid and Johns were both clearly drawing on that show with their origins.

Supes has definitely been shaped by outside mediums in a big way, although Batman isn’t far behind with BTAS, Keaton and Nolan.

LOL, I didn't know that particular anecdote. So what, the episodes without Superman's VA just had some random actor making grunting sounds?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    He said that in the Comic Pop interview with Sal as well but that's not necessarily true, or at least I suspect Bendis was told the Rebirth creative teams were done after Action #1000. A Twitter user claimed they spoke with one of the creators at NYCC 2 years ago and were told they had 2 more years of stories mapped out.

Also, Gleason stated in an old Instagram post that they had 100 issues planned for Superman before they were told they were being taken off the title and that Imperius Lex could have ended with Lois finding out she was pregnant with a daughter.

I remember seeing Tomasi say something similar but I can't find the tweet. In any case, I think it's possible Didio may have pushed the still popular Rebirth teams off both Superman titles to sweeten the deal for Bendis to jump ship from Marvel to DC. Namely by offering him total creative control on one of the DC characters he wanted to write most. If Tomasi and Gleason had stayed on as planned, Bendis would have been less likely to take over Superman entirely and possibly less likely to switch from Marvel to DC exclusive which is what Didio wanted.
    So basically Didio was forcing Dan and Tomasi off the books? I'm kinda surprised they left so amicably then, since they still do a lot of DC work and don't seem to harner any ill wills.

F29C18AE-A70F-47FE-92D9-CC68E1A0735B.jpg

https://www.cbr.com/scott-snyder-dar...tm_name=iossmf

Yeah like I thought, 5G is either cancelled or being radically redone. I’d wager all of the stuff Didio was prepping is getting tossed out and Snyder and co are the ones building what’s going to happen with DC after 2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    So basically Didio was forcing Dan and Tomasi off the books? I'm kinda surprised they left so amicably then, since they still do a lot of DC work and don't seem to harner any ill wills.
    Tomasi got to write Batman on Tec which probably eased the blow since he likes Batman more anyway. Jurgens is a company man, and he got to write Lois & Clark + Action Rebirth + have a main story in AC 1000. He didn’t get done too dirty especially in comparison to the Triangle Era.

This stuff is kind of part of the game in comics though. It's kind of rare that people take it personally. Plus, Gleason got to continue briefly on Action and Young Justice incorporated a lot of his ideas - I think Teen Lantern was his wasn't it? Of course he did ultimately leave for Marvel.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Reading the entirety of that interview I'm gonna go with changed. He says

"Over the years, we tried hard at times at DC and in comics in general to make this moment more important than moments that came before or highlight certain moments and move away from the idea that it's one epic, generational story. Other times, I think we've focused too much on the past and maybe not pushed forward with things that are bold, but measured."

and

"Right now, the way Perpetua and the Batman Who Laughs function in the story is that the heroes learn that Crises past have contorted the timeline and the DC timeline was been twisted by these Crises; almost knotted at certain moments and caused us to forget certain stories and caused us to start over at different times, to feel twisted and separated from our own past and future. And Doctor Manhattan, in Doomsday Clock, tried to right that aspect of our timeline but, for some reason, it didn't fully take effect. And so the heroes are looking for a bigger way to unite the DCU in a single storyline that links everyone and tells the ways that we're all connected and part of one community."

and

"So, Wonder Woman is seeking a way to cut through the kind of binds that Perpetua has put the DCU in to let everyone remember the stories we've maybe sort of forgotten and unite everybody in a way that celebrates the hardest truth of all for the heroes, which is that we're defined and live on through our actions and our legacy, and sometimes that means dying or going down with the ship; fighting to the death and living on through the legacy of those that carry on your ideals. They're not going to die, don't worry! This isn't an event -- even though it's called Death Metal -- where we're looking to radically upset the DCU in some way and wipe out all your characters. But the idea is that Wonder Woman believes, at this point, that the Multiverse is dying, it's being killed. And there's way to take the Crisis energy and restart it somehow or use the opposite energy to connect it."

It doesn't sound exactly like the rumors, but this is a story that is totally about generations, passing the torch, legacy, and creating a timeline that's far longer than we've had before and built up of past stories.

Lol, it's savage as hell how he just straight up says "all that waxing poetic and shuffling with time Manhattan did at the end of Doomsday Clock? Didn't work. We're doing our own thing here that'll work".
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-14-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    From what I understand it's not that uncommon.

And for us, this is a hobby we're passionate about. But for the pro's, it's a job. I'm sure they're fans too, and passionate as well, but it'd be pretty foolish to storm out the door just because the company that pays you cut your project short.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It doesn't sound exactly like the rumors, but this is a story that is totally about generations, passing the torch, legacy, and creating a timeline that's far longer than we've had before and built up of past stories.

Lol, it's savage as hell how he just straight up says "all that waxing poetic and shuffling with time Manhattan did at the end of Doomsday Clock? Didn't work. We're doing our own thing here that'll work".
    Yeah, doesn't sound like the idea has been tossed like some want to believe. Looks like the basic idea is still intact.

I'm sure the end product will be different, but it seems like the core idea of 5G is still happening in some form.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

The upcoming issue 6 of Legion

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.