Page 58 of 613 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158558 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Its a direct spin off book from the main Superman and features the same characters as Superman just with the addition of Damian.
    The focus of the book is Jon (and Damian), who as I have already said, is the exception.

Ofcourse its a forward looking fun book. Putting character and development over other things doesn't it any less forward.
    I'm sure our definitions of forward looking are going to differ, as is what constitutes as forward looking.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 03-05-2018 at 04:12 AM.

Mighty Member

Yeah the Rebirth Super line which gave us Super Sons and New Super-Man were written for our fathers and is backward looking.

I'm sure Wee Wee Williams and her awful dialogue will represent the young hip people of tomoorrow.
    I think making a character a father would appeal to fathers. Making someone a father of a ten year old overnight seems like exactly the kind of thing you would do if you wanted to appeal to older men.

New Superman is awesome. It's a great book and I recommend it all the time. I was talking about Superman and Action comics specifically, though. The existence of New Superman is a result of the Superman line as a whole and its existence doesn't change anything I posted about Superman and Action Comics.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Yeah but for some the bad part is how Superman is still the same there was no attempt to put a more creative voice behind him. So it definitely might need some shaking up.
    I totally agree with that. I didn't really feel any kind of creative voice behind them. They felt like they were written by competent professionals who were implementing a corporate policy. Other than "America, F#& Yeah!" was any viewpoint explored, or comment made by the work? The stories felt like they would not have been out of place in an anthology title from 1995. Which is fine, I'm not knocking fans who like that. There isn't anything wrong with liking that, I'm just putting forth how the Tomasi and Jurgens runs made me feel.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Alright, this is starting to get a bit much.

I find it very interesting that people who I've barely seen on the Superman forum before are suddenly posting non-stop about how terrible Bendis is. If he's truly so terrible, why don't you wait a few months until we've actually read his Superman comics and let us Superman fans judge for ourselves?

We get it. You don't like Brian Bendis. Civil War II, Iron Man and whatever else he wrote that you hated really pissed you guys off. Let me give you a little advice. People don't react well to being told what they should like or shouldn't like. In fact, it tends to have the exact opposite effect on a lot of us.

If your purpose is to convince Superman fans that Bendis is going to be terrible and ruin Superman, trust us. Save your energy for another fan base. We are Superman fans. We've been through decades of creative chaos with so many peaks and valleys and everything in between, there is literally nothing Bendis could do that would make things worse. If whatever Bendis tries is successful? Great. If it isn't? No worries, we've survived Scott Freakin' Lobdel and Eddie Berganza.

Trust us. We can handle it.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

I find it very interesting that people who I've barely seen on the Superman forum before are suddenly posting non-stop about how terrible Bendis is. If he's truly so terrible, why don't you wait a few months until we've actually read his Superman comics and let us Superman fans judge for ourselves?

We get it. You don't like Brian Bendis. Civil War II, Iron Man and whatever else he wrote that you hated really pissed you guys off. Let me give you a little advice. People don't react well to being told what they should like or shouldn't like. In fact, it tends to have the exact opposite effect on a lot of us.

If your purpose is to convince Superman fans that Bendis is going to be terrible and ruin Superman, trust us. Save your energy for another fan base. We are Superman fans. We've been through decades of creative chaos with so many peaks and valleys and everything in between, there is literally nothing Bendis could do that would make things worse. If whatever Bendis tries is successful? Great. If it isn't? No worries, we've survived Scott Freakin' Lobdel and Eddie Berganza.

Now this is the Truth.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I think making a character a father would appeal to fathers. Making someone a father of a ten year old overnight seems like exactly the kind of thing you would do if you wanted to appeal to older men.

New Superman is awesome. It's a great book and I recommend it all the time. I was talking about Superman and Action comics specifically, though. The existence of New Superman is a result of the Superman line as a whole and its existence doesn't change anything I posted about Superman and Action Comics.
    Um no, this is like saying that Batman was made to appeal to my father when Damian was introduced. Characters like Jon and Damian are introduced so that the stories can appeal to younger fans. So you've got it completely backwards and I'm a 25 year old male with no children.

They're part of the same line of books, Super Sons in particular I mentioned spinning off from Superman.

Mighty Member

Um no, this is like saying that Batman was made to appeal to my father when Damian was introduced. Characters like Jon and Damian are introduced so that the stories can appeal to younger fans. So you've got it completely backwards and I'm a 25 year old male with no children.

They're part of the same line of books, Super Sons in particular I mentioned spinning off from Superman.
    I don't think our personal demographics make our opinions hold any more or less weight.

I guess you can look at it both ways, that the child introduced may appeal to kids, while making Superman a father may appeal more to adults. It's likely that both of those things are happening. In any case, the appeal of Jon and the appeal of Superman are two different things, while also connected to each other.

I think it's inarguable that making Superman have a ten year old child makes him older, both in actual in story age and in how he feels to readers. I don't think many children become fans of a character because that character becomes older. Is that something that you've heard a lot of?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Sir...You win this thread. No matter what happens, we'll be alright.

As for Jurgens and Tomasi's run being safe and unexperimental? Well honestly, after about a decade where everyone and their mother tried to reinvent the wheel when it came to Superman , a couple years where we got a more conventional approach and ethos towards Superman was what the character needed. He no longer had a base line. I think it's clear that it was Jurgens job to reestablish that base line, and Tomasi's job was to firmly establish Jon and his place and both played clean up of the threads the previous teams left in their wake ( the two Supermen stuff, Lex as a good guy, Clark Kent's identify being outed etc). A worksman appoach is what was required to get the character back to a place someone like a Bendis could work with.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I don't think many children become fans of a character because that character becomes older. Is that something that you've heard a lot of?
    I grew up with a married Spider-Man, and much of my latter teens/early twenties were informed by him being a father in the Spider-Girl comics.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

As for Jurgens and Tomasi's run being safe and unexperimental? Well honestly, after about a decade where everyone and their mother tried to reinvent the wheel when it came to Superman , a couple years where we got a more conventional approach and ethos towards Superman was what the character needed. He no longer had a base line. I think it's clear that it was Jurgens job to reestablish that base line, and Tomasi's job was to firmly establish Jon and his place and both played clean up of the threads the previous teams left in their wake ( the two Supermen stuff, Lex as a good guy, Clark Kent's identify being outed etc). A worksman appoach is what was required to get the character back to a place someone like a Bendis could work with.
    As much a I rag the writers, I agree with all this. Superman needed a back to the basics approach for what they were trying to accomplish. And even then, this run did reinvent the wheel, just in a simplistic way. Clark and his family were living on a farm, raising a child. I don't remember pre flashpoint Superman ever doing that.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just posting my opinion just like anyone else here and since I was reading the current books I don't see why I can't respond to something that I feel might be a huge misstep for Superman. I do respect that a lot of you are excited by the prospect of Bendis on Superman and that you all seem to be liking what he is saying. I just am not excited for it at all and there is nothing wrong with that. A bit of respect would be nice though. The reason I haven't been posting in this forum, or much of anywhere else here for that matter, is because I'm trying to limit my posting to only things I feel really strongly about or characters that I really care about. I've had enough of fans that act like jerks or are dismissive when you don't like something that they do. There's far to much of that going around here lately. Anyway, I'm out. Hope you all enjoy Bendis and that he does manage to change things for the better.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I love this post.

We can handle it, indeed. We've suffered far, far, far worse than the likes of Bendis.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

I definitely agree with this. I do wish they'd only had Bendis on one book so he'd have a balancer, so-to-speak, but I've been intrigued with what he's said in interviews and I'm overall optimistic.

if this fails it'll fail big, so I hope DC has given Bendis a HUGE head-start on his writing duties. I'd hate to see us lose the solid base that's been building for the last two years. Even sales have shown it to be fairly solid, regardless of how it seems to be boring a fair amount of fans here, lately.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I definitely agree with this. I do wish they'd only had Bendis on one book so he'd have a balancer, so-to-speak, but I've been intrigued with what he's said in interviews and I'm overall optimistic.

if this fails it'll fail big, so I hope DC has given Bendis a HUGE head-start on his writing duties. I'd hate to see us lose the solid base that's been building for the last two years. Even sales have shown it to be fairly solid, regardless of how it seems to be boring a fair amount of fans here, lately.
    Well apparently he finished the man of steel weekly back in early February and the other two books are monthly, so I think Bendis will be fine on getting books on time. Though I do wonder about the actual quality with him writing that fast.

BANNED

Bendis was trying four books at Marvel.

Invincible Iron Man
    Jessica Jones
    Defenders
    Spider-Man

At DC he's writing two books, Action Comics, & Superman. I don't see him struggling to stay on schedule.