Page 581 of 613 FirstFirst ... 81481531571577578579580581582583584585591 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,715 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, supposedly WB was onboard with the identity reveal and some 5G stuff, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays into things.
    Frankly, Clark needed to lose his secret identity. All someone would need to do is use facial recognition software... and it would give a match on pics of Superman and Clark Kent - two different people being matched like that only usually happens with identical twins. It's not like Clark isn't famous as Clark too, considering he's a journalist. Any superhero with a secret identity but no mask is unrealistic nowadays. And Superman's design is too iconic to add a mask to.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Frankly, Clark needed to lose his secret identity. All someone would need to do is use facial recognition software... and it would give a match on pics of Superman and Clark Kent - two different people being matched like that only usually happens with identical twins. It's not like Clark isn't famous as Clark too, considering he's a journalist. Any superhero with a secret identity but no mask is unrealistic nowadays. And Superman's design is too iconic to add a mask to.
    Not really, all might can pull it off.He doesn't wear a mask.

Just create a muscle form and a lanky form.Superman's secret identity was always unrealistic. It doesn't matter if its 1938 or 2020.It wasn't going for realism.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-07-2020 at 10:52 PM.

I don't think on a general basis people put that much thought into it.

Of course I think they've established at some point in the comics that Superman does something to negate the effect of facial recognition software.

Eh. A really strong suspension of disbelief was required here 82 years ago too. I don't see it as any bigger a deal now by any stretch. Especially in a fictional world where potential counter-tech can be as strong as you want it to be. Superman needs a counter-measure to facial recognition software? He designs it. You can work around that stuff creatively. The secret ID is too key to the character. Its ingrained into his very personality now, its how his brain works. He's not Spider-Man or Daredevil in that regard, where its pretty much only a means to an end and can be interchanged at will without losing much while at the same time occasionally creating conflict. You lose this for conflict with Superman, you lose a whole crap ton of characterization in the process. Superman's dual identity just means so much more to him, and its a microcosm of DC's mismanagement and lack of understanding of their own icon if they can't understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Honestly, if Kid Jon returns, Clark get is secret identity back and all is "Perfect White Priviledged Family" again for him, I think I'll definitively drop any Super-related books. Bendis is doing something really interesting after two runs on Action (Jurgen) and Superman (Tomasi) which were, in retrospect, really mediocre. I don't want all his hard work setting up Superman to be something big again to be erased, especially not when what'll follow will be "Groundhog Day Superman" again.
    Problem is none of this is making Superman big again. Its getting a lukewarm response that is reflecting in sales, and that's being generous. Look I don't think much of Rebirth Superman either, I feel the entire era is massively overrated, and the family dynamic boring at best and damaging at worst. That doesn't mean you "fix" it by taking away one of the most key components of his character.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-07-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

And see I found him and Lois being parents and getting ngf away from Metropolis to be a really interesting change of pace. More so than him forgoing his secret ID, anyway. Seeing Superman in that new setting was what made me a fan after mostly ignoring his books my whole life. I like SuperDad. Like the wholesomeness of the Lent family, contrasting with the dysfunctional Batfamily. I loved Jon and loved seeing him grow and develop at his own pace instead of being forced to skip over literally every part of growing up so that they can rush him off to "Super College" and turn him into a teenage version of his Dad. I'm a sucker for family and coming of age stories. So Superman Rebirth was right up there with X-Men, Fantastic Four, Batfamily stories, and Teen Titans as something I truly loved.

I like seeing the more mundane parts of a Superhero's life, juxtaposed with the... not so mundane parts. Not everything has to be a big spectacle like Bendis loved doing even when he was at Marvel. Sometimes I just wanna see these heroes be...people. But overall, I just really love Tomasi's and Jurgens' writing and have disliked Bendis' work for years. The only times I felt like he really...understood the characters he was writing were in Spiderman and Daredevil. Other than that, I've ways felt like he's more concerned with doing something crazy and memorable than he is actually telling a good story. He and Didio are both "its different so that automatically means it's better" people. Which is ironic considering how often Didio likes dressing the same thing up as something different.

Granted I do see why it didnt click with everyone and kinda wish Action was the family focused book while Superman was the Superman stuff that all his long time fans wanted. I think that would have been a nice compromise. But as a whole, Superman rebirth and the rebirth era was far too short for my liking. That whole two year period rekindled my love for comics after DC lost me years ago and Marvel was slowly losing me because of their treatment of the X-Men and Fantastic Four. I dont wanna roll back the clock entirely. Honestly, Lois is doing good (aside from me still no longer thinking she's a good mother) and while I prefer Clark's identity being secret, I don't...hate him going public as much as I hate how it was done. But for the love of all that is good, somebody save Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I can at least confirm that he did have an interview already rerecorded and set to drop this past Monday with Bendis (Bendis retweeted) This was tweeted out by them on the 28th. Then yesterday they wanted to remind their followers that Off Panel would be taking a skip week this week in a show of solidarity and support against the recent, tragic events.

Can't confirm if their podcast was already posted public for people to listen to for a few moments, but in the posted reaction tweet there were some people who said that it was being quoted on twitter, but no specific quotes were given. Those are the facts as far as I've seen.

If it's true, based on some past evidence, I can see why that might be the move.

Edit: I'd support Yang as immediate successor in whatever form was appropriate.
    Thanks for clarifying some details regarding this podcast. We'll have to wait and see what Bendis actually says on the podcast.

I have to disagree there, Clark needs needs his secret identity disguise as the distinction between Clark and Superman is a unique duality. When done right, Clark's multiple roles and identities make him a far more complex character than some of the surface level perceptions about the character. Granted, secret identities are unrealistic and there are interesting superheroes who don't have secret identities. But I don't see the need to throw such an important concept out of the superhero genre entirely.

Honestly, if Kid Jon returns, Clark get is secret identity back and all is "Perfect White Priviledged Family" again for him, I think I'll definitively drop any Super-related books. Bendis is doing something really interesting after two runs on Action (Jurgen) and Superman (Tomasi) which were, in retrospect, really mediocre. I don't want all his hard work setting up Superman to be something big again to be erased, especially not when what'll follow will be "Groundhog Day Superman" again.
    At least the last status quo at least tried to balance it out with the problems that come with family life. If anything the current deal is the one that reaks of things being insufferably perfect. Clark loses his secret identity, and the response from everyone around him is praise, no one is mad at him or even upset with him lying. Dude even got to keep his job. And teen Jon is even worse, any problems that you would think would come from the horrors he’s experienced are swept under the rug and he’s nonsensically even more well adjusted despite the volcanic isolation torture. Maybe if Bendis didn’t play it so safe, the response wouldn’t have been such a dud.

We really talking about Mediocrity in a Bendis related post? This run is the epitome of mediocrity, everything falls flat.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I've been reading since 2011. At this point, it'd have to be something genuinely terrible to get me to stop reading these books at this point.

If Bendis does leave Action and Superman, will he also leave Young Justice and Legion of Super-Heroes?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I've been reading since 2011. At this point, it'd have to be something genuinely terrible to get me to stop reading these books at this point.
    Gotta applaud you for sticking through Truth. Not even I, a New 52 Superman apologist, could stick through that.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    If Bendis does leave Action and Superman, will he also leave Young Justice and Legion of Super-Heroes?
    Sales for those have also been pretty soft, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he does end up moving on. What happens to those teams is anyone’s guess.

I doubt they would be having a line wide creative change. Bendis writes everything superman related. They would need a team full of writers to replace just bendis.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm gonna just put a few facts here along with context.

Bendis' "stuck at home comic book reading list": https://www.ign.com/articles/brian-m...k-reading-list

You'll notice that he names Yang's Smashes The Klan in here.

Posted March 26th.

Bendis' "top 5 favorite Superman comics" list: https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/bria...perman-comics/

You'll once again notice that Yang's Smashes The Klan makes the list.

Posted May 28

Bendis and Yang Superman panel at Wonder Con: https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...75144590032896

This never happened because of the pandemic, but before that Bendis added that there was going to be something announced at the panel.

Posted May 8

Bendis and Yang's one-on-one Superman interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWM-lxmovg8

They end up having their panel via video call, and as advertised it's about Superman. During the interview Yang shows that he's quite well read and up to date with Bendis' run, and he shows support for what he's done.

Posted May 13

Those were the facts, so up next is quickly my opinion/read. Bendis sure is promoting Yang quite a bit. If the potential news is true, then this reads like a baton pass if I've ever seen one. Yang has also just wrapped his book (The Terrifics) and doesn't seem to have any others from DC on the way.

I'll just leave you with this: would be kind of strange for someone to promote another so continuously if they were going to just clean away everything from your run.

The situation is potentially unique, and that'll all I'll say about that.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-07-2020 at 11:04 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yeah! If yang is gonna come and continue what bendis did. I just don't think it's sustainable. As much as i want the focus to be superman. He needs both kal el and clark kent as supporting identities .if everything becomes one then superman seizes to be the man of two worlds with 3 identities. I hope this is like the baton pass we had before this one with jurgens/tomasi's stuff being lose influence. I want yang to write superman as something closer to the goldenage superman, then i don't have to complain about jon. Superman himself will be very entertaining enough. Ofcourse, i want jon to be awesome again.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-07-2020 at 11:18 PM.