Page 583 of 613 FirstFirst ... 83483533573579580581582583584585586587593 ... LastLast
Results 8,731 to 8,745 of 9194

Well I have mixed feelings on this. I'm happy that Bendis is finally leaving the Superman books as he's done a lot I haven't been pleased with as a fan. However, it also means that Bendis will have left his mark on Superman because I doubt the next writer will sweep Bendis' mistakes like Rogol Zaar, aging up Jon and revealing Superman's secret identity under the rug. I probably won't pick up the Super books even after Bendis is gone as it's still an undesirable status quo for me as a fan. Hopefully somewhere down the line these changes get reversed.

I figured Bendis would want to stay on Young Justice and the Legion which means his monopoly on the Superboys will be continuing. Even with their poor sales, DC may let Bendis keep these books in his Wonder Comics corner which would be a shame not to get fresh blood to rejuvenate these titles.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    Now that looks cool. A bit like ghostrider but cool.Thanks for sharing.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Well I have mixed feelings on this. I'm happy that Bendis is finally leaving the Superman books as he's done a lot I haven't been pleased with as a fan. However, it also means that Bendis will have left his mark on Superman because I doubt the next writer will sweep Bendis' mistakes like Rogol Zaar, aging up Jon and revealing Superman's secret identity under the rug. I probably won't pick up the Super books even after Bendis is gone as it's still an undesirable status quo for me as a fan. Hopefully somewhere down the line these changes get reversed.

I figured Bendis would want to stay on Young Justice and the Legion which means his monopoly on the Superboys will be continuing. Even with their poor sales, DC may let Bendis keep these books in his Wonder Comics corner which would be a shame not to get fresh blood to rejuvenate these titles.
    Rogal Zaar could easily be forgotten, I don't think he made that much of a mark on fans. I doubt most comic readers would know him if you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    Like I said before, seems a little "been there, done that."

Well I'll be keeping an eye on these developments, there's at least some possibility of me coming back now, it just depends on a couple other things. If the new writer has to deal with the stuff Bendis did, but does so in an effort to remove them, I could get on board for that ride. If the feeling is he/she just has to continue what he started indefinitely, I don't think that'll be enough for me. I know this is hypocritical of me because I rag DC for taking the cheap ways out, but really I'd rather they just use Death Metal to wipe this stuff away and just let a new writer do his thing. Especially if its Yang, who's proven he can do straight up Superman, but last time he was on a main book he had to deal with a gimmick then too.

Also that new villain is yawn-inducing. And good god I'm so tired of the tagline "Superman's truth". Superman's truth on a personal level is deception. It just is. Due to great necessity, but its deception nonetheless. And its a fascinating nuance to a character whose commitment to overall truth and justice creates a schism. That needs to be deeply explored again, not put aside to make the mythos woke.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-08-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Rogal Zaar could easily be forgotten, I don't think he made that much of a mark on fans. I doubt most comic readers would know him if you asked.
    That's exactly his problem though. My bigger issue is how Bendis implied Krypton's destruction may not have occurred through natural causes but was destroyed by Rogol Zaar. I really don't like Krypton being blown up Frieza style when it highlighted Krypton's arrogance and serves as a poetic symbol for climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    That's exactly his problem though. My bigger issue is how Bendis implied Krypton's destruction may not have occurred through natural causes but was destroyed by Rogol Zaar. I really don't like Krypton being blown up Frieza style when it highlighted Krypton's arrogance and serves as a poetic symbol for climate change.
    Just use the Marvel method of “out of sight, out of mind”. If no one brings him up you don’t need to explicitly retcon him out in yet another event aimed at “fixing” continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just use the Marvel method of “out of sight, out of mind”. If no one brings him up you don’t need to explicitly retcon him out in yet another event aimed at “fixing” continuity.
    For me that’s not good enough, Zarr like many of Bendis’s changes needs to go. If that means retcons, so be it. His existence waters down Krypton’s fate. Bendis made him too important to just ignore.

I don't mind there being more to Krypton's destruction, or at least the theory of something more never quite proven or disproven. Just make it interesting. This ended up not being at all interesting. It could have been, but frankly all the potential interesting things to do with it came from fan ideas.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    For me that’s not good enough, Zarr like many of Bendis’s changes needs to go. If that means retcons, so be it. His existence waters down Krypton’s fate. Bendis made him too important to just ignore.
    Eh I don’t think anything is ever too big to ignore, especially when it comes to Superman continuity.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I've got no interest in a return to normal. I've read stories with the classic status quo for over twenty years. I'm okay with exploring the next phase of Clark Kent's life.

The execution has been shaky at times, but I'd rather read about Superman building the United Planets than read about Superman fighting Metallo again.

I'd rather read about Clark finding his way in the new normal of an open identity than see DC stumble through what they think is a nuanced examination of the Clark-Superman duality, which they've f**ked up or ignored for so many years I can't remember the last time in modern comics it was handled correctly. Clark learning to live without secrets is in and of itself an interesting twist on his character that could fuel stories and character development for decades...and we've only gotten a couple issues into it.

I'd rather read about Superman; President of Earth, than read about him trying to get enough evidence collected to put Lex behind bars. Again.

Everything Bendis has done has been a natural extension of Clark as a character. Hell, nothing Bendis has done has even been original; Clark going public with his identity has been a factor in dozens upon dozens of "near future" stories and Elseworlds. Krypton being destroyed by external forces has been done a dozen times. Superman having a kid who grows up to fast has been a story in dozens upon dozens of comics (especially in the Silver Age, but also in stuff like Byrne's Generations).

Besides, it's DC. They'll reboot sooner or later anyway and we'll be back to square one. I'm not in a rush to get there early.

It's funny, when Bendis was first announced I was hoping it'd be good but didn't think it would be, and figured I wouldn't be reading the books (which I had already dropped after Tomasi's Manchester Black story and should've dropped sooner). I didn't expect to like anything Bendis did on Superman. Now I'm sitting here, expecting to drop the books when he leaves.

World is a funny place like that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, I doubt any writers are going to give Zaar much page-time once Bendis is gone.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Zaar is absolutely going to be swept under the rug after a couple runs. If anything sticks from the Bendis run, it's very likely Jon's aging up because of how integral it appears to the Legion and potentially Jon being the next Superman if Clark moves on to United Planets/President Superman stuff.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if Jon gets aged down before the ID goes back in the proverbial bottle, though I hope for the inverse.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Zaar is absolutely going to be swept under the rug after a couple runs. If anything sticks from the Bendis run, it's very likely Jon's aging up because of how integral it appears to the Legion and potentially Jon being the next Superman if Clark moves on to United Planets/President Superman stuff.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if Jon gets aged down before the ID goes back in the proverbial bottle, though I hope for the inverse.
    I thought 5g is dead.