Page 59 of 613 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159559 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Well apparently he finished the man of steel weekly back in early February and the other two books are monthly, so I think Bendis will be fine on getting books on time. Though I do wonder about the actual quality with him writing that fast.
    That's my concern too.

Bendis can write like, three dozen books a month and make his deadline 95% of the time. I'm not worried about him getting the books out on time, I'm worried about them being worth reading when they hit the shelf.

When Bendis is on his game with a title that fits him, he's pure gold. When things aren't lined up right......well, there's a reason so many people dislike his work these days.

I'm still cautiously optimistic though. Sure, I've been burned by Bendis in the past, but he's saying all the right things about Clark so far, and sometimes a new workplace can revitalize a person like they're being reborn, so he'll get a fair shot from me.

If it's bad, well, it won't be the first time I dropped Superman due to low quality.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's my concern too.

Bendis can write like, three dozen books a month and make his deadline 95% of the time. I'm not worried about him getting the books out on time, I'm worried about them being worth reading when they hit the shelf.

When Bendis is on his game with a title that fits him, he's pure gold. When things aren't lined up right......well, there's a reason so many people dislike his work these days.

I'm still cautiously optimistic though. Sure, I've been burned by Bendis in the past, but he's saying all the right things about Clark so far, and sometimes a new workplace can revitalize a person like they're being reborn, so he'll get a fair shot from me.

If it's bad, well, it won't be the first time I dropped Superman due to low quality.
    Eh, I'll probably still read and won't drop even if his run is some of the worst Superman we ever get. I'd say the only time I really didn't care for the Superman books was during the final parts of truth and how convoluted the story got. It was also hard to because we knew a crossover was coming where n52 supes was going to die.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Bendis was trying four books at Marvel.

Invincible Iron Man
    Jessica Jones
    Defenders
    Spider-Man

At DC he's writing two books, Action Comics, & Superman. I don't see him struggling to stay on schedule.
    Agreed. I also think some of the more over-zealous Bendis haters don't appreciate how big an impact a near-death experience can have on a creator.

Bendis was literally crying in his hospital bed because he wouldn't have a chance to write Superman and Lois Lane. This is not the Bendis of the last few years, this is a creator with something to prove. Do not underestimate that.

Eh, I'll probably still read and won't drop even if his run is some of the worst Superman we ever get. I'd say the only time I really didn't care for the Superman books was during the final parts of truth and how convoluted the story got. It was also hard to because we knew a crossover was coming where n52 supes was going to die.
    You are a far more patient person than I am then. I drop books like bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Agreed. I also think some of the more over-zealous Bendis haters don't appreciate how big an impact a near-death experience can have on a creator.

Bendis was literally crying in his hospital bed because he wouldn't have a chance to write Superman and Lois Lane. This is not the Bendis of the last few years, this is a creator with something to prove. Do not underestimate that.
    That's a good point too.

Crying in his hospital bed? I hadn't heard that.

Damn, there's another point to his credit.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It definitely can't be discounted that his health scare could definitely have fueled any inspiration and motivational fires on top of that which might have come anyway just from the change of scenery.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Really! I have heard that writing Superman is his dream for a long time.

I am agreeing with you. Its totally understandable that a number of fans are anxious about him. I am myself. I would hate to drop a Superman book after loving the Rebirth run so far. Especially Jurgens who appeared to have only begun. I can't begin to emphasize how important Tomasi and Jurgens were even if some people call them 'workmanlike'. Sometimes you need that 'safer' approach to cut losses and move forward. They came at the right time and re-birthed the Superman books. Ask any DC fan and one can hear almost unanimously favorable response.

Being worried about Bendis' Superman is absolutely fine. You can't hear that kind of negative response as it has been made by lot of people if he had been at the top of his game in recent years. So, i am worried. But dropping a book before even reading an issue or two is premature even if one thinks that's inevitable. I am hoping the change in workplace would rejuvenate him and we will get some really good work.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

The only time in my 25 year plus stretch reading the character where I literally wasn't buying any new Supes comics was during the mid period of TRUTH, so I can relate. Things were dire. Things would have to get that bad again before I bail again. Of course it's possible.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Really! I have heard that writing Superman is his dream for a long time.

I am agreeing with you. Its totally understandable that a number of fans are anxious about him. I am myself. I would hate to drop a Superman book after loving the Rebirth run so far. Especially Jurgens who appeared to have only begun. I can't begin to emphasize how important Tomasi and Jurgens were even if some people call them 'workmanlike'. Sometimes you need that 'safer' approach to cut losses and move forward. They came at the right time and re-birthed the Superman books. Ask any DC fan and one can hear almost unanimously favorable response.

Being worried about Bendis' Superman is absolutely fine. You can't hear that kind of negative response as it has been made by lot of people if he had been at the top of his game in recent years. So, i am worried. But dropping a book before even reading an issue or two is premature even if one thinks that's inevitable. I am hoping the change in workplace would rejuvenate him and we will get some really good work.
    Fully agreed. Let's give Bendis a shot.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I also dropped the story during Truth. Although I personally didn't panic when I saw Pak or Yang in credits for other comics, it is what it is. The negative reaction to Bendis is just about the same as people saying Jurgens coming back was the worst thing possible. "Ohhh nooo it's 1992 again." "Ohh nooo he looks like a weirdo with red trunks again." Same shoe, different foot. People will either come to respect Bendis if he puts in good work or continue to go on bashing because they've already built such a strong case against him in their heads that they refuse to turn around. Won't make the comics themselves better or worse, though, so if they're wrong about him it's their loss.

Bendis calls himself, "the destroyer of childhoods." I doubt these comments will fill him with self doubt or anything. Better than having no one talking about him.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I also dropped the story during Truth. Although I personally didn't panic when I saw Pak or Yang in credits for other comics, it is what it is. The negative reaction to Bendis is just about the same as people saying Jurgens coming back was the worst thing possible. "Ohhh nooo it's 1992 again." "Ohh nooo he looks like a weirdo with red trunks again." Same shoe, different foot. People will either come to respect Bendis if he puts in good work or continue to go on bashing because they've already built such a strong case against him in their heads that they refuse to turn around. Won't make the comics themselves better or worse, though, so if they're wrong about him it's their loss.

Bendis calls himself, "the destroyer of childhoods." I doubt these comments will fill him with self doubt or anything. Better than having no one talking about him.
    For me it more of a case of personal taste rather than just "bashing Bendis just 'cause". There are plenty of writers that I feel the same about and guess what I don't bother with their books either IF they have not managed to produce something that is to my taste in years. If they haven't it simply makes me disinclined to try anything else they are doing. Of course that means I might potentially miss out on something that would be to my taste but at some point I simply get tired of trying writers who have, for one reason or another, disappointed me in some way. It's just the way I'm wired.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Not a bad thing at all, depending on how you look at it.

And Bendis has become one of the biggest names in comics. I see this guy on late night talk shows sometimes. Never see Geoff Johns or Dan Didio or anyone else. Bendis usually sells pretty damn decently, too. So I very much doubt he cares about a handful of people on the Internet who won't read his work.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    For me it more of a case of personal taste rather than just "bashing Bendis just 'cause". There are plenty of writers that I feel the same about and guess what I don't bother with their books either IF they have not managed to produce something that is to my taste in years. If they haven't it simply makes me disinclined to try anything else they are doing. Of course that means I might potentially miss out on something that would be to my taste but at some point I simply get tired of trying writers who have, for one reason or another, disappointed me in some way. It's just the way I'm wired.
    I think most of us have creators we avoid. It takes a whole lot of positive reviews and word of mouth for me to touch anything Judd Winnick does, for example, and as much as I used to love his work twenty years ago, I haven't liked anything Jurgens has done in fifteen years, so I tend to ignore his stuff too.

I am usually willing to give a book a single issue though. Even Winnick has done some work I actually enjoyed, after all. I've found that even the worst writer (in my opinion) can stumble upon the right book at the right time. But I sure as hell can't blame anyone for not giving a writer even that much of a chance after being burned so often, and Bendis has certainly burned most of us at least a few times.

~ Black Panther.

I am usually willing to give a book a single issue though. Even Winnick has done some work I actually enjoyed, after all. I've found that even the worst writer (in my opinion) can stumble upon the right book at the right time. But I sure as hell can't blame anyone for not giving a writer even that much of a chance after being burned so often, and Bendis has certainly burned most of us at least a few times.
    He’s done a lot of stuff I didn’t like.

But on other hand, he’s done long runs (Daredevil, Powers, Alias) that I enjoyed a lot.

Deep down, I don’t think he’s a good fit for Superman. But obviously hope I’m wrong...and that does happen!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Not a bad thing at all, depending on how you look at it.

And Bendis has become one of the biggest names in comics. I see this guy on late night talk shows sometimes. Never see Geoff Johns or Dan Didio or anyone else. Bendis usually sells pretty damn decently, too. So I very much doubt he cares about a handful of people on the Internet who won't read his work.
    Exactly so really, no harm done. The venting can be taken in stride.

Unlike Marvel, I think there's only a chance of one DC guy having been on tv, and I'd bet it's Geoff Johns. Although I saw Mark Schultz talking about his career including Superman on like, public access lol.

BANNED