Page 598 of 613 FirstFirst ... 98498548588594595596597598599600601602608 ... LastLast
Results 8,956 to 8,970 of 9194
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    he said in a that recent interview he is safely under a good contract, guessing he'll be off the superbooks when he's already planning on leaving. That interview was still before all this unfortunte news hit, though, he also talked about future wonder comics plans, like Jinny Hex, Naomi etc which are likely less safe.
    Yeah, but like you said, he is under contract. I imagine at worst, they just put Bendis on digital books.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Thank you for the correction. Rich seems to have survived the current layoffs, although there’s more coming, so maybe the Superbooks will avoid suffering major repercussions.
    I don't expect anything major beside a relaunch of the main Superbooks with new creative teams in 2021 and a return of the double shipping model.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I don't expect anything major beside a relaunch of the main Superbooks with new creative teams in 2021 and a return of the double shipping model.
    I really miss this, hopefully you're right.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

While I love the idea of double shipping.
    In action it's unsustainable. Consistency of art and story is difficult to maintain.

Astonishing Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...ditor-changes/
    I am also told that all exclusive creator contracts, that cover the likes of Scott Snyder, Dan Abnett, Tom King and Brian Bendis, are being reviewed.

Could see Bendis’ contract get bought out or see him leave either one or both of the Superbooks earlier than expected I suppose. If they’re taking a hard look at their top talent, what’s that mean for the Jurgens who haven’t been top sellers in years, and the Tomasis who have never really excelled in terms of sales? People might get their wish about Bendis getting the boot but who knows what will happen then. Also I’ve seen a couple people post that they’re hearing stuff that directly contradicts what Rich is claiming, and even Rich has walked back some of his claims like about the “Creative Services” group being disbanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If they’re taking a hard look at their top talent, what’s that mean for the Jurgens who haven’t been top sellers in years, and the Tomasis who have never really excelled in terms of sales?
    I suspect that both of them earn significantly less than Bendis and probably have way less creative control.

I'm torn on one hand I don't want the man jobless **** is rough enough out here but at the same time I think he's a mediocre hack and I haven't enjoyed a single thing he's put out in the last what has it been 2 years on Superman..... And he Fucked up my boy Jon....... Very Torn.......

I'm sure Bendis' position is safe. His sales haven't been horrid and can be seen as largely falling within Superman's typical sales range and rankings (last I checked anyway) and he's got plenty of experience consulting on larger media projects and all of that. He put the Wonder imprint together, wrote Naomi.....I doubt he's going anywhere.

It's not just individual issue sales that matter here, but the creators' contributions to the company across the board. He'll likely get shuffled off Superman, as DC will probably take their remaining creators and move them around their remaining books as part of a marketing push, but Bendis was going to be wrapping his run up anyway.

Guys like Jurgens are probably going to be cut loose, as they don't bring in high sales and don't seem to do much with adaptations. Jurgens himself is such an established figure he might manage to hold onto something but I fear for all the old guard creators; AT&T seem intent on breaking new ground and being a old school creator might be a bad thing at DC right now.

Someone like Tomasi, those "in between" creators....I feel like those guys' positions have less to do with their actual contributions and more to do with whether DC still has positions open after locking in their high value creators. Tomasi specifically has experience as an editor and knows how to work within the system so I'd guess he'll stick around, but other writers and artists in that mid-range.....well, if it were me I'd get a resume updated just in case.

Damn shame. As if 2020 hasn't been rough enough, now these poor people are gonna lose their jobs, that federal "extra $600 a month" thing ended recently, and with the holidays not too far off......
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-11-2020 at 06:23 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well if buying out contracts is on the table, then who knows who’s safe? His sales for YJ or Legion may not be a big deal one way or another but say Event Leviathan for example did notablely mediocre, for an event anyway, stuff like Metal, Heroes in Crisis and even dcceased blew that away. That sequel that I’m starting to doubt will ever happen, being delayed wasn’t a good sign in his favor. I’m not really sure why we’re bringing up adaptations at this stage. He obviously hasn’t been around long enough to be judged on that. His marvel success speaks for itself, but y’know...marvel.
    Anyway as someone who lost his job thanks to this damn pandemic, the last thing i want is for any more people to have to lose their livelihoods.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 08-11-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm sure Bendis' position is safe. His sales haven't been horrid and can be seen as largely falling within Superman's typical sales range and rankings (last I checked anyway) and he's got plenty of experience consulting on larger media projects and all of that. He put the Wonder imprint together, wrote Naomi.....I doubt he's going anywhere.
    I have hard time believing that when DC signed Bendis to an exclusive contract and gave him keys to Superman franchise they were expecting typical Superman sales.

Astonishing Member

I wonder how much longer Bendis's run had to go. That is, there used to be 5G with Jon as Superman, but now this is no longer relevant. That is, some part of his plans was simply chopped off. Without it, I wonder how much is left there.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Well if buying out contracts is on the table, then who knows who’s safe? His sales for YJ or Legion may not be a big deal one way or another but say Event Leviathan for example did notablely mediocre, for an event anyway, stuff like Metal, Heroes in Crisis and even dcceased blew that away. That sequel that I’m starting to doubt will ever happen, being delayed wasn’t a good sign in his favor. I’m not really sure why we’re bringing up adaptations at this stage. He obviously hasn’t been around long enough to be judged on that. His marvel success speaks for itself, but y’know...marvel.
    Anyway as someone who lost his job thanks to this damn pandemic, the last thing i want is for any more people to have to lose their livelihoods.
    He hasn't been at DC long enough to really get his hands deep into adaptations but he has plenty of experience with that sort of thing. I look at it like this; AT&T doesn't care about the comics, only the IP's and their ability to be adapted into larger media. Bendis has lots of experience helping that process along, even if it wasn't for DC. That means he has value beyond the comic sales.

Maybe he won't stick around, maybe they'll cut him loose or he'll quit in protest. At this point who the hell knows? But I'd be surprised if they cut him. They'll almost certainly play musical chairs with their creators so Bendis will be off most, if not all, of his current books, but I don't expect them to let him go completely.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I have hard time believing that when DC signed Bendis to an exclusive contract and gave him keys to Superman franchise they were expecting typical Superman sales.
    Who knows what DC was expecting? But I think if they expected Bendis to save the franchise and return it to the Top Ten they were being blind and foolish. Bendis hadn't pulled huge sales in years and Superman typically sells what Superman sells. Putting a dude who hadn't been a sales powerhouse since Avengers on a character who had been mistreated for so long only the diehard fans remain, and expecting miracles to happen, seems pretty damn foolhardy. But then again, it's DC so maybe that's exactly what they thought would happen.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    He hasn't been at DC long enough to really get his hands deep into adaptations but he has plenty of experience with that sort of thing. I look at it like this; AT&T doesn't care about the comics, only the IP's and their ability to be adapted into larger media. Bendis has lots of experience helping that process along, even if it wasn't for DC. That means he has value beyond the comic sales.

Maybe he won't stick around, maybe they'll cut him loose or he'll quit in protest. At this point who the hell knows? But I'd be surprised if they cut him. They'll almost certainly play musical chairs with their creators so Bendis will be off most, if not all, of his current books, but I don't expect them to let him go completely.

Who knows what DC was expecting? But I think if they expected Bendis to save the franchise and return it to the Top Ten they were being blind and foolish. Bendis hadn't pulled huge sales in years and Superman typically sells what Superman sells. Putting a dude who hadn't been a sales powerhouse since Avengers on a character who had been mistreated for so long only the diehard fans remain, and expecting miracles to happen, seems pretty damn foolhardy. But then again, it's DC so maybe that's exactly what they thought would happen.
    I'm just saying, if they were expecting typical sales it seems weird to put out advertisements that say "BENDIS IS COMING!"

I don't recall any ads that went "TOMASI IS COMING!"

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I'm just saying, if they were expecting typical sales it seems weird to put out advertisements that say "BENDIS IS COMING!"

I don't recall any ads that went "TOMASI IS COMING!"
    A valid point.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."