Page 6 of 613 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Wait a moment..

Help turn Metropolis into something as provocative and unique as Gotham City is.

I think that Metropolis is a good city too..

I will see that miniserie.. trying to give a chance to Man of Steel.. they are only 6 issues..
    The thing that bugs me about gotham is how oppressive and depressive it seems to be; the authors seem to go out of their way to depict gotham as an entity. Are the villains a creation of the city? So i’m not sure how metropolis should be depicted. A super scientific city? A depiction of new york? Show me why people want to live there.
    I’ll probably give both books a shot, but if it’s all talk and no action, i may get bored with it rather quickly. And i’m not thrilled with another villain tied to superman’s origin= krypton. Villains from krypton are becoming a dime a dozen anymore, like kal and kara were the only good things to cone from krupton.
    Last edited by protege; 02-01-2018 at 10:21 AM.

So which character will he kill off first to create drama? Maybe Steel or Lana?

Not thrilled right now....I have enjoyed the hell out of the Superman books the last couple years and they are just getting Supes back to where he needs to be in my opinion.

I am cautiously optimistic that Bendis will be rejuvenated now that he's playing in a new sandbox...but I have never been a fan of his larger scale books.

I like having the books split among a couple of writers as well...not sure what I think about Bendis just taking full control here. He's never done large scale well, in my opinion....so I guess we'll see how this goes.

I am cautiously optimistic about this. To me, the entire Superman line had taken a nose dive with Rebirth and beyond. It clearly needed some sort of overhaul- if not a complete reboot, which would have been preferred, at least a new person to interpret the existing status quo in different ways and spin different types of stories.

I liked Brian Bendis' work on X-Men, but, then again, I also liked Peter Tomasi's work on the New52 Superman, and Tomasi's Rebirth Superman turned into a disaster. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results, etc..

They are definitely giving us a jumping on point with the miniseries leading up to a new Superman #1 and Action Comics #1001. Doing yet another origin story sounds boring, they've done so many, but I like the symbolism of a new start for Clark Kent and then two books with a new writer. That's a good summer event that might give us something interesting to read going into fall and winter.

Action Comics focusing on Clark Kent and Metropolis should be good if it focuses on the Daily Planet, reporting, and people like Jim Olson (Who I'd like to see presented as more of an equal with Clark- a good friend who he goes out for beers with- Clark's regular guy best friend) and whatnot and their lives. If it's Clark telling Jon to do the dishes and discussing his failing math grades with Lois, it'll be a loser. It's all in the execution and actually what *Metropolis* means. Hopefully it means Metropolis, not the inside of the Kent family apartment- although if Clark is going to remain married to Lois, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more heat in their relationship. Let's see some of the city and what happens in the bars and on the streets. Is Maggie Sawyer a lesbian in the comics like she is on TV? That could be interesting. Also, with Superwoman cancelled, they could have Lana Lang competing for newspaper scoops with the Daily Planet staff and some tension between her and Lois, and keep teasing her putting back on the super-suit if she hangs it up.

I do have some small hope that a slightly aged up (Not saying that will happen) Jon would be more tolerable with Bendis at the helm, as he was great doing the time-displaced Original 5 X-Men, who were teenagers (Jean Grey pulling Bobby aside and talking about his secret with the shrugs and the looks was classic- I think that was Bendis, wasn't it?). However, I would probably applaud if the first page of the first Bendis comic featured Jon being disintegrated, erased from time, or turned into a super-villian. I'm just being honest, though I'm sure none of those things will happen. I clearly do not like the Jon character, and I don't think people would feel like I was being honest if I danced around that too much.

My hope is for a Superman who incorporates more of the New52 elements (Or New52-like, I realize they won't actually go back and say they are doing it if they are doing it) and a more realistic modern less-cartoony set of artwork, a guy who is both aggressive and intimidating, concerned about social justice, and has a good sense of humor. Honestly, drawing him as a little younger and less bulky might help dilute the Superman as father figure thing that I think a lot of us don't like.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 02-01-2018 at 10:25 AM.

BANNED

Bendis is writing a short for DC NATION#0

From the return of the trademark red trunks to the debut of superstar writer Brian Michael Bendis in the ACTION COMICS #1000 comic book in April, the future for Superman couldn’t shine any brighter, but for fans, that’s just the tip of the super-iceberg. Bendis, along with legendary artist José Luis García-López, is also contributing an all-new story to DC NATION #0, a prelude to his highly anticipated MAN OF STEEL weekly miniseries debuting May 30.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-01-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm of two minds on this.

If Bendis really is truthful about this not tearing down or negating Tomasi and Jurgens hard work in righting the ship and building upon that...then this could be great.

For now...im keeping an open mind.
    Well said man. I'm with you on all of this. Not just what I quoted, but the whole post (which I cut down to save on space).

I'm nervous about Bendis, especially because he's taking the whole line. If it was just one book? No worries, if I dont like his work I have another option. But now? If I dont like what he's doing, I don't have any Superman to read about until he leaves (or DC publishes that American Alien sequel, which seems unlikely given the trouble Landis put himself in, the idiot).

And Bendis hasn't done large scale high concept books that I enjoy. He might get a issue, or a moment, or a concept, right (by my subjective standards) but he has yet to do any big idea consistently well.

But its a new sandbox. New management (for him, I mean). He seems to genuinely love the character (that goes a long way in my book). And he *has* done some of my favorite Marvel books (Daredevil and Ultimate Spidey, both Parker and Miles). So.....I guess we'll see.

I just hope he recognizes that there's nothing wrong with Superman right now. The character is actually in a pretty good place. Don't f**k with that, just tell quality stories, and we'll be fine. Superman doesn't need some big shock and awe moment, what he needs is consistent quality stories across the long-term. You notice when the Triangle era started to fall apart? When editors started demanding big shock and awe Events like the Electric age, and the writers were forced to cook up ridiculous short-term change after ridiculous short-term change and the character dynamics and world building started to suffer. The whole line eventually fell apart under the weight of so much crap, and the character has yet to fully recover.

Just tell a good story Bendis. Don't try to fix what isn't broken. Your name on this character will be enough to generate sales, there's no gods damn need to screw it all up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Whoa, even Jimenez can't make the red trunk works as anything but an horrible design choice. I'm kind of impressed. I may get DC Nation for the Batman story line and possibly the JL (if Supes isn't front and center). Or I'll just read those stories in my LCS? I don't know yet.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Wow... yeah, that's gonna be strange.
    The last time we've had such a long break in publication of the main books was way back in 1993 when we had a three month break between the end of Funeral For A Friend ( Superman vol 2.#77) and Adventures 500. 25 years ago.

Wow. I'm old.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

That is quite the cover! I wish we knew more about this book - I'm betting that the Joker story is by King, but who else?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Garcia Lopez! Count me in! Also, looking good Supes!
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    The last time we've had such a long break in publication of the main books was way back in 1993 when we had a three month break between the end of Funeral For A Friend ( Superman vol 2.#77) and Adventures 500. 25 years ago.

Wow. I'm old.
    I was 3 years old then and even that makes me feel old. I'm realizing I'm about to hit 30 soon... wow.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

Based on the cover.

Snyder
    King
    Bendis

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    That is quite the cover! I wish we knew more about this book - I'm betting that the Joker story is by King, but who else?
    DC put out a press release today with some info. Batman story by Tom King and Clay Mann, Superman story by Bendis and Garcia-Lopez, and Justice League story by Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Joshua Williamson, and Jorge Jimenez.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well said man. I'm with you on all of this. Not just what I quoted, but the whole post (which I cut down to save on space).

I'm nervous about Bendis, especially because he's taking the whole line. If it was just one book? No worries, if I dont like his work I have another option. But now? If I dont like what he's doing, I don't have any Superman to read about until he leaves (or DC publishes that American Alien sequel, which seems unlikely given the trouble Landis put himself in, the idiot).

And Bendis hasn't done large scale high concept books that I enjoy. He might get a issue, or a moment, or a concept, right (by my subjective standards) but he has yet to do any big idea consistently well.

But its a new sandbox. New management (for him, I mean). He seems to genuinely love the character (that goes a long way in my book). And he *has* done some of my favorite Marvel books (Daredevil and Ultimate Spidey, both Parker and Miles). So.....I guess we'll see.

I just hope he recognizes that there's nothing wrong with Superman right now. The character is actually in a pretty good place. Don't f**k with that, just tell quality stories, and we'll be fine. Superman doesn't need some big shock and awe moment, what he needs is consistent quality stories across the long-term. You notice when the Triangle era started to fall apart? When editors started demanding big shock and awe Events like the Electric age, and the writers were forced to cook up ridiculous short-term change after ridiculous short-term change and the character dynamics and world building started to suffer. The whole line eventually fell apart under the weight of so much crap, and the character has yet to fully recover.

Just tell a good story Bendis. Don't try to fix what isn't broken. Your name on this character will be enough to generate sales, there's no gods damn need to screw it all up.
    Exactly. Tomasi and Jurgens did the hard work necessary to stabilize the flailing Superman franchise. I'm just hopefull that Bendis will take that ball and run.

Superman himself, his family unit, and the basic skeleton of the origin and continuity is all in a good place. Just don't dump it all just for the sake of newness.

The only part of this announcement that gives me real pause beyond my above musings is the " new villain tied to his origin" thing. Something like that could be awesome, but also be a jump the shark moment from the start.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 02-01-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I am ok with Bendis writing a Superman book, but I don’t like that they are giving him both Superman and Action Comics. The good thing about having two Superman books is it gives two writers an opportunity to write main stories for Superman. I really hope that Dc isn’t going to do the 90’s thing of having one storyline that goes through both books.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman