Page 60 of 613 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160560 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I'll give one of the books a whirl but not both. I kind of liked having a different voice on one of the Superman titles. So I will pick whatever book that sounds the most interesting.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think most of us have creators we avoid. It takes a whole lot of positive reviews and word of mouth for me to touch anything Judd Winnick does, for example, and as much as I used to love his work twenty years ago, I haven't liked anything Jurgens has done in fifteen years, so I tend to ignore his stuff too.
    In this case it will take a whole lot of positive reviews from the few reviewers I trust and whole lot of positive word of mouth from Superman fans I trust before I'll give Bendis even one issue.

I am usually willing to give a book a single issue though. Even Winnick has done some work I actually enjoyed, after all. I've found that even the worst writer (in my opinion) can stumble upon the right book at the right time. But I sure as hell can't blame anyone for not giving a writer even that much of a chance after being burned so often, and Bendis has certainly burned most of us at least a few times.
    Depending on what I hear I'd be willing to give him an issue of both but I would have to hear some really positive things first before I drop the money on it. And I agree that even the worst writer can stumble upon a book that is the right fit for them or that is one that I can enjoy. As an example, I didn't care for Abnett on Titans. I thought it was pretty bland but his Silencer so far has been really good and engaging. I loath Lobdell's Teen Titans but his RHATO has been a really consistently strong book since Rebirth started. (Both of those are just my opinions of course but still.) Bendis on Superman might be exactly the right fit for him, who knows, but I'm just being a bit more cautious about it then others are and it boils down to the fact that he is on both books.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 03-06-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    In this case it will take a whole lot of positive reviews from the few reviewers I trust and whole lot of positive word of mouth from Superman fans I trust before I'll give Bendis even one issue.
    Oh, I totally get it. And I wouldn't blame anyone for passing on the thing without mountains and mountains and mountains of trusted people saying it was worthwhile. Hell, I wouldn't blame anyone for passing on it even then. I'm not trying to say otherwise.

Hell, I still haven't checked out Jurgens' Action run, despite people here I trust telling me it's decent.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

I was really banking on Bendis getting Action so I would at least have Superman. If it wasn't for the Young Animal line this would actually be the end of my relationship with DC right now. I'm just not that into anything else right now.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bendis jokes around with Jeff Lemire about not killing Jon: https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...86088302661632

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bendis jokes around with Jeff Lemire about not killing Jon: https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...86088302661632
    It's so weird to me that Jeff Lemire is back to writing for both DC and Marvel at the same time .

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Well apparently he finished the man of steel weekly back in early February and the other two books are monthly, so I think Bendis will be fine on getting books on time. Though I do wonder about the actual quality with him writing that fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Bendis was trying four books at Marvel.

Invincible Iron Man
    Jessica Jones
    Defenders
    Spider-Man

At DC he's writing two books, Action Comics, & Superman. I don't see him struggling to stay on schedule.
    Oh, I don't mean for scheduling - I want him to have time to make sure things stay solid and have time to be perfected. I think a lot of last-minute changes and/or shifts in direction is what hampered the current runs.

Sorry, I should have been clearer on that.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

BANNED

Yay...Jon won't be going anywhere

Just hopefully to the backburner as far as Action and Superman are concerned.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

How did I end up typing trying instead of writing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Its ok by me if you want books to be preachy. While I've been greatly disillusioned by the left I still loathe right wing politics. I however believe that Superman shouldn't be a mouth piece for anything but humanism.
    Amen, brother, and I completely understand what you mean by "preachy." It does indeed have meaning and there are many writers in comics today (Spencer, Remender, Waid, occasionally Bendis) who see comics as mouthpiece for their ideologies. I don't give two craps about ANY ideology except the universal ideology of Superman. That's all I want from the character.

As for Bendis, I'd put his original run on Ultimate Spider-Man right up there with Lee/Ditko's original run on ASM. That was a long time ago, but people change. Bendis has gone through two massive life changes (serious illness, starting over at a new company) and I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. As always, I'll vote with my wallet. I'd hate to drop the books again but the moment Bendis goes off the rails, I'm out and I'll be sure to make as loud a ruckus as possible. Putting Bendis on Superman is an understandable gamble on DC's part, but a gamble nonetheless. The goodwill of the last two years being erased by one writer taking over the entire line is a huge risk. It may very well work out. As Superman himself says, "There's always a way."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

New intnerview, mostly the same points he has talked about so far though, starts at 3:43: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxo8Oyje2eA

BANNED

I hope to God bendis doesnt warp and shit on "truth, justice,and the American way",because I promise you whatever he thinks it means in his head,he is wrong

The reality is that Truth and Justice is both in many ways obvious looked at from the lens of just basic human decency, but when looked at from a political lens, gets much more murky. Right or wrong? The fact is that's probably going to depend on what the readers' leanings are. From what I understand, Bendis is quite liberal. So that will be the lens. But as I've said before, that doesn't matter to me as long as these elements are organic to and thus don't take me out of a story. A story about Superman fighting for the rights of actual aliens for example? The allegory being obvious? I'm in. Clark Kent making jokes every two pages about Donald Trump? That' get tiring before long.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Just hopefully to the backburner as far as Action and Superman are concerned.
    With Super-Sons cancelled, I expect that Jon will play a sizable role in the family-based title (that's Action, right? Because "family and workplace drama" is what comes to mind when one hears the word "action"). And Bendis tends to focus on family elements in his work so I'm sure Jon's presence there won't be insignificant.

Honestly, I doubt Jon will be a minor player in Action even if he ends up on another team title.

But I do expect him to have a minor role in Superman, since that's supposed to be the high octane, big adventure title.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    I hope to God bendis doesnt warp and shit on "truth, justice,and the American way",because I promise you whatever he thinks it means in his head,he is wrong
    Well, if whatever he has in his head already is objectively wrong, he'll "warp and sh*t" on it no matter what.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.