Page 608 of 613 FirstFirst ... 108508558598604605606607608609610611612 ... LastLast
Results 9,106 to 9,120 of 9194

Kents should definitely go back to being dead, but I put that in my list of "Very unlikely" occurrences. Just like Jon and the marriage, unfortunately. Unless the higher ups want those things gone and/or the talent leftover from the bloodbath aren't as beholden to post-Crisis status as was the case beforehand.

But man my dream scenario would be for Death Metal to reveal that everything but the "Lost Origin" title released that same month was erased, with the "Last Stories" title genuinely being the end of this continuity.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Superman is a Kryptonian with godlike abilities in comparison to humans. The great thing about being Clark is having people around you who look at you as Clark not Superman.
    So? He still posses an inner humanity that’s inherent to who he is. He’s not reliant on other people to tell him right from wrong. Again he’s not Dr. Manhattan. WW doesn’t need other people to “retain” her humanity.

He doesn't have to be a space monk with no friends or family either to prove he has inner humanity. Bad writing shouldn't be catered to. There's no reason to kill off both Kents just because bad writers wrote bad stories with them.

Superman should not need to go to his parents for advices every other story, he should be able to think by himself and come to his own decisions.

I don't think the Kents need to be dead for that to happen, the only thing needed is a writers who makes Clark a more confident person, because even with his parents dead we can get a writer that will make Superman dependent on pep talk don't matter from what character they use. In the hands of the wrong writers a Superman with dead parents may end up needing advices from Lois, Perry, Jimmy or even Batman. In the hands of the right writers, the Kents can be alive and Clark only go to them when he wants to have a family dinner and make decisions on his own.

When bad writing is the norm to a concept though, its hard to separate them anymore and have confidence that the talent can either. Superman's post-Crisis support structure has been a crutch and written badly for so long, and given birth to a heavily damaging myth to the character, that its difficult to imagine it even being done well anymore. The support structure doesn't have to be a crutch, but for about 80-90% of the post-Crisis Superman foundations history, it has been.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman is a Kryptonian with godlike abilities in comparison to humans. The great thing about being Clark is having people around you who look at you as Clark not Superman.
    Well, that's great. But, i like to read about superman. The daring adventures of the one true champion of the oppressed. Not to deal with mundane family drama of one true fake identity made with glasses. Moreover, if people around him saw him less than anything of a Superman,He wouldn't have gotten that title. Lois was the first one to call him superman in the first place in many continuities. So, there goes that theory. Furthermore , there are people who like him for who he is- the man, the alien and the strongman . Krypto for starters. Now there is a good boy. Finally you are right, clark is generally a people person. But the truth is that clark became superman who is a strongman that doesn't wear a mask. So, that those who are weak and in need of assistance can approach him without hesitation. So, that they find a friend. And Those that are wicked find terror in the eyes of alien abyss . He would always be surrounded and grounded by metropolis city and its people itself. He doesn't need gift packet moral guidances.
    I mean, you talk as if superman went bad in goldenage or silverage. He didn't. Btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    He doesn't have to be a space monk with no friends or family either to prove he has inner humanity. Bad writing shouldn't be catered to. There's no reason to kill off both Kents just because bad writers wrote bad stories with them.
    This is naruto. Does this kid who is surrounded by his village look like a space monk? This kid is an orphan champion of the people. He earned everything he got.

Superman has the entire metropolis as his family. Heck! The entire planet is his home.This is what superman used to be.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-11-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Spectacular Member

This x 1000

80-90% of the New 52 was junk on a different level as well. So maybe the problem isn't his support structure but actually lazy writing in a medium that rewards it. As boring and basic as I think the SM/WW relationship is I'm not saying it shouldn't happen because half the time they end up as fascists like in Kingdom Come and Injustice.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well, that's great. But, i like to read about superman. The daring adventures of the one true champion of the oppressed. Not to deal with mundane family drama of one true fake identity made with glasses. Moreover, if people around him saw him less than anything of a Superman,He wouldn't have gotten that title. Lois was the first one to call him superman in the first place in many continuities. So, there goes that theory. Moreover, there are people who like him for who he is- the man, the alien and the strongman . Krypto for starters. Now there is a good boy. Finally you are right, clark is generally a people person. But the truth is that clark became superman who is a strongman that doesn't wear a mask. So, that those who are weak and in need of assistance can approach him without hesitation. So, that they find a friend. And Those that are wicked find terror in the eyes of alien abyss . He would always be surrounded and grounded by metropolis city and its people itself. He doesn't need gift packet moral guidances.
    I mean, you talk as if superman went bad in goldenage or silverage. He didn't. Btw.
    Just a reminder, Batman is disguised as Bruce Wayne. Clark Kent is disguised as Superman, not Superman disguised as Clark Kent. It hasn't been that way since 70s, and it should never go back to that.

Spectacular Member

80-90% of the New 52 was junk on a different level as well. So maybe the problem isn't his support structure but actually lazy writing in a medium that rewards it. As boring and basic as I think the SM/WW relationship is I'm not saying it shouldn't happen because half the time they end up as fascists like in Kingdom Come and Injustice.
    True but getting rid of the trunks was gold.

Like I've already said, inherently a support structure isn't as flawed as they've made it. But they've made it that way and its been that way for a couple decades now so its not easy to imagine it going any different. Heck in the end it'll all be moot as it'll probably all stay. I just won't hold my breath that it will be done any better since the the tendrils of the negatives are so deep.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Just a reminder, Batman is disguised as Bruce Wayne. Clark Kent is disguised as Superman, not Superman disguised as Clark Kent. It hasn't been that way since 70s, and it should never go back to that.
    No, superman is disguised and now chained by the mundanity of the fake glasses persona and office suit to be ordinary. To be average. Well, superman is great.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
    Superman breaks chains.

It became "Clark Kent disguised as Superman" in '86, not the 70s. The Bronze Age took strides to do some new things with Clark Kent, but it didn't flip the old adage "and who disguised as Clark Kent..." completely on its head till the post-Crisis era. And I'd argue that didn't really hit peak effect till the 90s, with mainstream content like the Lois and Clark tv show perpetuating the Clark over Superman ideal. But really, that started dying off as far back as the mid-aughts when guys like Johns started reincorporating more pre-Crisis elements to the mythos. This was felt more fully in the New 52 of course, but even when that was reversed and we got Rebirth, that made efforts for a stronger balance. So it actually already went back years ago, or at the very least the dial left that one extreme.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-11-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No that’s Clark’s purpose. Superman doesn’t need other people to keep him grounded, he’s not Dr. Manhattan.
    A valid point.

Edit - That said, I believe the Kents are vital to the Superman Mythos in so far as they give Superman his moral compass. However, they are background elements once he reaches maturity/lives in the big city of Metropolis.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-11-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    When bad writing is the norm to a concept though, its hard to separate them anymore and have confidence that the talent can either. Superman's post-Crisis support structure has been a crutch and written badly for so long, and given birth to a heavily damaging myth to the character, that its difficult to imagine it even being done well anymore. The support structure doesn't have to be a crutch, but for about 80-90% of the post-Crisis Superman foundations history, it has been.
    Bad writing could be applied to any kind of concept.

I'm pretty sure there are many bad writing stories with the Kents dead.