Page 61 of 613 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The reality is that Truth and Justice is both in many ways obvious looked at from the lens of just basic human decency, but when looked at from a political lens, gets much more murky. Right or wrong? The fact is that's probably going to depend on what the readers' leanings are. From what I understand, Bendis is quite liberal. So that will be the lens. But as I've said before, that doesn't matter to me as long as these elements are organic to and thus don't take me out of a story. A story about Superman fighting for the rights of actual aliens for example? The allegory being obvious? I'm in. Clark Kent making jokes every two pages about Donald Trump? That' get tiring before long.
    I hope that Bendis keeps his worst excesses in check. Because he does have a habit of going over the deep end and being so heavy handed in his commentary he makes Johns look deft. But DC loathes Superman getting political these days so I think we might be safe. Well.....safe-ish.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    With Super-Sons cancelled, I expect that Jon will play a sizable role in the family-based title (that's Action, right? Because "family and workplace drama" is what comes to mind when one hears the word "action"). And Bendis tends to focus on family elements in his work so I'm sure Jon's presence there won't be insignificant.
    That would be my guess. If Action is supposed to be the family and workplace oriented book leaving Jon completely out of it seems wrong and if for some reason Jon is not put on a team or if he doesn't get a title right away he does need somewhere where he is appearing regularly if DC is interested in cashing in on his popularity. Besides I want to see Kara and Jon hanging out together dang it. (That is of course assuming I end up reading either book once Bendis is on it.)

Honestly, I doubt Jon will be a minor player in Action even if he ends up on another team title.

But I do expect him to have a minor role in Superman, since that's supposed to be the high octane, big adventure title.
    That makes sense although I would like to see a bit more of Clark training Jon and it makes a bit more sense for that to happen in this book rather than Action to me. YMMV.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I hope that Bendis keeps his worst excesses in check. Because he does have a habit of going over the deep end and being so heavy handed in his commentary he makes Johns look deft. But DC loathes Superman getting political these days so I think we might be safe. Well.....safe-ish.
    Yeah, that is a concern of mine as well. Bendis does have a habit of not being able to keep his excesses in check to the detriment of the books and characters he's writing. I definitely don't want that to happen with Superman.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

With Super-Sons cancelled, I expect that Jon will play a sizable role in the family-based title (that's Action, right? Because "family and workplace drama" is what comes to mind when one hears the word "action"). And Bendis tends to focus on family elements in his work so I'm sure Jon's presence there won't be insignificant.

Honestly, I doubt Jon will be a minor player in Action even if he ends up on another team title.
    Probably right on this one. And I'll accept that as long as it still allows for time of the other elements promised like the Planet and the greater Metropolis setting.

Superman on the other hand is the one I'm hoping to be more of a solo in the truer sense of the word. In general of course.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-07-2018 at 04:57 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Lol

There is nothing political about truth and justice. Except those that pervert it for their ends. I can’t believe that people think liberals have one truth and justice and conservatives have another, and that a writer has to wade through that.

The American way? Yeah, that died a long time ago, the American way is “anything goes”. Society is not one homogenized mass.

The society we live in demonstrates otherwise. If there was nothing political about the concept of "truth and justice" there would be no such thing as parties and partisanship. It would certainly be nice. But that is not reality. What is Truth and Justice for illegal immigrants, for instance? What is Truth and Justice for the idea of bearing arms? Ask those questions and you're sure as hell never going to get one lockstep answer.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-07-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Lol

There is nothing political about truth and justice. Except those that pervert it for their ends. I can’t believe that people think liberals have one truth and justice and conservatives have another, and that a writer has to wade through that.

The American way? Yeah, that died a long time ago, the American way is “anything goes”. Society is not one homogenized mass.
    I recommend you listen to the Bendis interview I linked on the last page or that article CBR posted, Bendis explains his thoughts pretty well on why truth justice and the american way needs to be tackled and it's definitely based on recent poltiics.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    That makes sense although I would like to see a bit more of Clark training Jon and it makes a bit more sense for that to happen in this book rather than Action to me. YMMV.
    I have no problem with Clark training Jon in either book. But if Superman is to be the "Superman focused big solo adventure" title, I'd rather Jon's presence be kept to a relative minimum. I mean, he's Clark's son, he's not going to be absent completely, nor would I want him to be. But he can take a back seat in that book and get more panel time in Action, along with Lois and the DP staff and whoever else.

It seems that Action is going to try to replicate the triangle era, with a big focus on Clark Kent and his supporting cast in and around Metropolis. Which sounds great. Superman then can focus on Clark having big wild Morrisonian adventures across the globe, space, time, and points beyond. Give me a balance like that and I'll be a happy Super-fan.

Assuming either are worth reading in the first place of course.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Probably right on this one.
    Its uncommon, but I am right every now and then. Hopefully this is one of those times.

And I'll accept that as long as it still allows for time of the other elements promised like the Planet and the greater Metropolis setting.

Superman on the other hand is the one I'm hoping to be more of a solo in the truer sense of the word. In general of course.
    Well, that's what everyone is saying the books are going to do. SUPERman in one book, superMAN in the other. Done right, there'll be a book for people like you and me, as well as a book for the people who want to read about a more down-to-earth Superman.

While I very much doubt it'll play out perfectly, or that DC would let us have a good thing for long even if it does, it's vaguely possible that there might be a Superman book for all of us very soon. And that's an exciting prospect.

~ Black Panther.

The society we live in demonstrates otherwise. If there was nothing political about the concept of "truth and justice" there would be no such thing as parties and partisanship. It would certainly be nice. But that is not reality. What is Truth and Justice for illegal immigrants, for instance? What is Truth and Justice for the idea of bearing arms? Ask those questions and you're sure as hell never going to get one lockstep answer.
    As I said, except for those that pervert it for their ends.

Your examples are valid, BUT they are political questions. And clearly those are up for debate (will of the people, and all that.)I see truth and justice as a philosophical question.

I’m pretty sure Bendis leans left and we’ll see how overt he will have that in his story.

So if he has Superman stop the deportation of immigrants (a philosophical dilemma) i don’t see that as him favoring one political side or the other, because it’s a philosophical question.

Or if Superman destroys a cache of weapons, I don’t see that as anti 2nd amendment or favoring gun control.

Its uncommon, but I am right every now and then. Hopefully this is one of those times.

Well, that's what everyone is saying the books are going to do. SUPERman in one book, superMAN in the other. Done right, there'll be a book for people like you and me, as well as a book for the people who want to read about a more down-to-earth Superman.

While I very much doubt it'll play out perfectly, or that DC would let us have a good thing for long even if it does, it's vaguely possible that there might be a Superman book for all of us very soon. And that's an exciting prospect.
    I think you can have all aspects of Superman in the same book.

At the same time, if B.B. wants to split them that way, that’s fine too.

In the end, all that matters is story. (And great ART, but that’s a given with BB’s collaborators)

BANNED

As I said, except for those that pervert it for their ends.

Your examples are valid, BUT they are political questions. And clearly those are up for debate (will of the people, and all that.)I see truth and justice as a philosophical question.

I’m pretty sure Bendis leans left and we’ll see how overt he will have that in his story.

So if he has Superman stop the deportation of immigrants (a philosophical dilemma) i don’t see that as him favoring one political side or the other, because it’s a philosophical question.

Or if Superman destroys a cache of weapons, I don’t see that as anti 2nd amendment or favoring gun control.

Wow,so you are cool with things that are insanely slanted in 1 direction aslong as you can wrap it up in "philosophy"?

You just gave 2 good examples of what I DO NOT want to see in these series.

I have no problem with Clark training Jon in either book. But if Superman is to be the "Superman focused big solo adventure" title, I'd rather Jon's presence be kept to a relative minimum. I mean, he's Clark's son, he's not going to be absent completely, nor would I want him to be. But he can take a back seat in that book and get more panel time in Action, along with Lois and the DP staff and whoever else.
    Oh, I think he can do some "on the job" training in the main title while still keeping his presence in to a relative minimum there. All I'm saying is that if Bendis plans on having Action be the book that is focusing more on Clark Kent, his family and work at the Planet etc, I don't see as much of a chance for that type of training to happen. I could be wrong though. It's also possible that he will be getting training from his dad but just in another book entirely. Tomasi did say he wasn't finished with Jon (and Damian) after all.

It seems that Action is going to try to replicate the triangle era, with a big focus on Clark Kent and his supporting cast in and around Metropolis. Which sounds great. Superman then can focus on Clark having big wild Morrisonian adventures across the globe, space, time, and points beyond. Give me a balance like that and I'll be a happy Super-fan.
    I do like the sound of that and, at the moment, Action's premise does seem to be the more appealing of the two based on the things I've heard. Bendis might actually do very well with Action's set up, which does seem to be something that is in his wheelhouse insofar as his writing is concerned. I also like the idea of having a balance between the two books and that would be something that makes me happy as well. I'm still just not sure that he will do as well with Superman.

Assuming either are worth reading in the first place of course.
    I'll at least I'll be able to get some idea of how Bendis might handle things with the story he's doing in Action #1000.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I do like the sound of that and, at the moment, Action's premise does seem to be the more appealing of the two based on the things I've heard. Bendis might actually do very well with Action's set up, which does seem to be something that is in his wheelhouse insofar as his writing is concerned. I also like the idea of having a balance between the two books and that would be something that makes me happy as well. I'm still just not sure that he will do as well with Superman.
    I'm withholding judgement on the Superman title because Bendis has said so very little about that book. We won't know much about it until Action 1K, I guess.

Im confident he'll do right by the supporting cast and the city of Metropolis in the "work/family" title. The Planet is a perfect fit for Bendis, and he should do well with the "Clark" side of Superman.

Whether he can handle the "Superman" side of Clark.......I have my doubts but we'll see what happens.

~ Black Panther.

.....which school of philosophy are you going by? Because I don't recall anything like what you're talking about from the classes I've taken on the subject.

~ Black Panther.