Page 65 of 613 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165565 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Over ten years ago Reis was quite good but yeah, since at least the beginning of the New 52, he's been something else. That page has it all.
    I'd say around Brightest Day he when he got to do a big event is when he really stepped up his artwork.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    What also strikes me looking at those covers is that if this is indeed an origin retelling in practice, this will be the first one to include his death and his marriage to Lois as parts of his origin. Of course there have been recaps and flashbacks before, but this is the first time those events are established within the body of an origin story.
    I don't know if its so much a "new" origin ala the original MOS or Birthright or even Secret Origin, but the apparent scenes from the present day make me think its a series that flashes back to certain established events in Clark's life and looks at them in a "new light." Sort of like a "here's what you didn't know was going down during the Death arc" angle.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-11-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I don't know if its so much a "new" origin ala the origin MOS or Birthright, but the apparent scenes from the present day make me think its a series that flashes back to certain established events in Clark's life and looks at them in a "new light." Sort of like a "here's what you didn't know was going down during the Death arc" angle.
    Possibly, but again, even if this is isn't a linear origin story like MOS, Birthright and SO, it's still going to be the first version of a Superman origin tale where his marriage to Lois and the Death story are now seen as much a part of his origins as Krypton,his childhood in Smallville, his arrival in Metropolis, his first battles with Lex etc. We will see though.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Still curious if we're going to get some retcons as to Doomsday and the Death. We're sick of origin changes but I wouldn't be opposed to some alterations to DOS in terms of Doomsday, potential motivational changes or behind-the-scenes antagonism, etc.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Possibly, but again, even if this is isn't a linear origin story like MOS, Birthright and SO, it's still going to be the first version of a Superman origin tale where his marriage to Lois and the Death story are now seen as much a part of his origins as Krypton,his childhood in Smallville, his arrival in Metropolis, his first battles with Lex etc. We will see though.
    Oh no, I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't think his marriage to Lois or his death will be part of his "origin" per se. I mean, how could they fit the growing up in Smallville, his coming to Metropolis, first meeting Lex, first going to the Planet, meeting Lois, dying, coming back to life, marrying her, and then having Jon all in one "origin." What the origin relaunches all have in common is that it just talks about how Superman just set up shop (which takes up like a few weeks in story, aside time jump from Smallville to Metropolis). The events alluded to in the covers: him and Lois falling in love, him dying, etc. are all events that would naturally take place over years of his life in Metropolis.

That's what makes me think this series will look back on established moments throughout Superman's entire career, not just his origin. Sort of like the two-parter that Jurgens did in Action immediately after Reborn. Bendis has said he's setting up a villain that's apparently been in the background for Superman's whole life. So, I'm just guessing that he's looking back at famous events and adding the "you didn't know this was secretly happening at the same time" twist that he's kinda famous for.

I think we're saying the same thing but I'm not sure...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Oh no, I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't think his marriage to Lois or his death will be part of his "origin" per se. I mean, how could they fit the growing up in Smallville, his coming to Metropolis, first meeting Lex, first going to the Planet, meeting Lois, dying, coming back to life, marrying her, and then having Jon all in one "origin." What the origin relaunches all have in common is that it just talks about how Superman just set up shop (which takes up like a few weeks in story, aside time jump from Smallville to Metropolis). The events alluded to in the covers: him and Lois falling in love, him dying, etc. are all events that would naturally take place over years of his life in Metropolis.

That's what makes me think this series will look back on established moments throughout Superman's entire career, not just his origin. Sort of like the two-parter that Jurgens did in Action immediately after Reborn. Bendis has said he's setting up a villain that's apparently been in the background for Superman's whole life. So, I'm just guessing that he's looking back at famous events and adding the "you didn't know this was secretly happening at the same time" twist that he's kinda famous for.

I think we're saying the same thing but I'm not sure...
    I'm reeaaalll curious what that 'twist' behind the villain could be, because at face value it looks like the sort of 'villain of the week' tied to krypton that has been done hundreds of times.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Still curious if we're going to get some retcons as to Doomsday and the Death. We're sick of origin changes but I wouldn't be opposed to some alterations to DOS in terms of Doomsday, potential motivational changes or behind-the-scenes antagonism, etc.
    Well, Lois does have a different outfit and hairstyle on the cover of man of steel 5 lol

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    I'm reeaaalll curious what that 'twist' behind the villain could be, because at face value it looks like the sort of 'villain of the week' tied to krypton that has been done hundreds of times.
    I'm still not sure why some villain HAS to be the architect of Krypton's demise in the first place. Seems to me we have enough of that type of thing in comics and in my mind the loss of his entire planet and culture is tragic enough without pinning it on some "bad guy". But that's always been my opinion on the matter and it's probably not a very popular one these days either.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I'm not sold on it, its been done before to mixed results (I didn't mind the idea behind it in Earth One, but the execution was not my thing), but I'm willing to see it play out. I've heard strong arguments about the natural demise being far more resonating, and I tend to agree. But its not something I'm REALLY passionate about to not give a different idea a chance.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Another image to add, this time from Kevin Maguire.

And since the Reis image we currently have in here is a lousy size:

Buh-bye

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

@ Sacred I'd be far more willing to give the idea a chance if it wasn't for the fact that it seems just about every hero has a villain who has killed people related to them. At this point I don't see this particular idea as different or even interesting.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Amazing Member

I just want to say how nice it is to see an actual member of the superfamily fighting alongside superman in one of his books. More of that, please.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    And since the Reis image we currently have in here is a lousy size:

Ivan Reis is just the best of the best when it comes to superhero comics. His work is so rad.

I can't wait to see what else he's cooking up for us.

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    I just want to say how nice it is to see an actual member of the superfamily fighting alongside superman in one of his books. More of that, please.
    I love to see this. Ever since Supergirl #8, i could see how awesome it is seeing Kal and Kara together. They are after all family and i wish to see them interact more.

Digging everything except those eyesore cuffs. Honestly it looks alright on the right arm in the first Reis panel because it just looks like a single fold over. But that's not intentional, unfortunately. The dual band thingy is just goofy.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-11-2018 at 07:15 PM.