Page 66 of 613 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166566 ... LastLast

I can go either way on Krypton's destruction. For me it boils down to execution and (more importantly for the long-term) what it adds to the mythos.

I like the "cautionary tale about environmentalism and arrogance" angle that MoS went with. Its a strong, non-intrusive moral that is always in fashion to one degree or another. But I like what the cartoon did with Brainiac too, who wasn't responsible for the planet's destruction but was for the species becoming extinct. That made it so much more personal. It paid out dividends over time and enriched the narrative.

I think Bendis does possess the talent to do this right. But it'll depend on which "Bendis" shows up.

That Reis art is everything. Is it me, or he just getting better with time? I wish we had gotten him to draw the Reborn costume more. I have become a very big fan of Clark's almost-previous costume. They finally got the belt right, and now the trunks look weird to me.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-11-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    What also strikes me looking at those covers is that if this is indeed an origin retelling in practice, this will be the first one to include his death and his marriage to Lois as parts of his origin. Of course there have been recaps and flashbacks before, but this is the first time those events are established within the body of an origin story.
    Given how comprehensive a Superman we have at the moment I'm not surprised that his origin or whatever "greatest hits" we're getting out of this mini seems to be covering a lot up until the modern day.

Maybe a more fleshed out version of how Jurgens handled establishing the new history post-Reborn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Gotta watch out for that flying skirt Kara...

I see Superman and Supergirl are already fighting the new villain, so I wonder if there fight will be interspread throughout the mini before the final issue?
    And since the Reis image we currently have in here is a lousy size:

Reis on Superman might be the best thing to come out of this.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I can go either way on Krypton's destruction. For me it boils down to execution and (more importantly for the long-term) what it adds to the mythos.

I like the "cautionary tale about environmentalism and arrogance" angle that MoS went with. Its a strong, non-intrusive moral that is always in fashion to one degree or another. But I like what the cartoon did with Brainiac too, who wasn't responsible for the planet's destruction but was for the species becoming extinct. That made it so much more personal. It paid out dividends over time and enriched the narrative.

I think Bendis does possess the talent to do this right. But it'll depend on which "Bendis" shows up.

That Reis art is everything. Is it me, or he just getting better with time? I wish we had gotten him to draw the Reborn costume more. I have become a very big fan of Clark's almost-previous costume. They finally got the belt right, and now the trunks look weird to me.
    Must be weird saying that, right? I felt the same way all things considered. And I'm one of the few who liked the n52 armored suit. Ever since it's removal I've always wanted the trunks back but then was on board with the reborn suit (if only they've kept the cuffs it would've been perfect imo).

All we can do is wait and see how Bendis will handle this but it looks to me based on interviews alone he's saying all the right things. Now let's hope his execution is on par with his "enthusiasm" for the character.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

I'm so excited about Reis. I think once Maiolo started coloring him is when he got really good. You look at Rann-Thanagar War and compare it to something more recent like The Terrifics or JLA and you wonder how they're the same person.

Incredible Member

I've barely been able to take my eyes of the Reis page since it was released.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    All we can do is wait and see how Bendis will handle this but it looks to me based on interviews alone he's saying all the right things. Now let's hope his execution is on par with his "enthusiasm" for the character.
    That is the sticking point isn't it? Bendis certain is enthusiastic about Superman and he is saying all the right things in interviews but its really going to boil down to the execution. That's pretty much where my concern lies. I've had far too many writers say all the right things in interviews, which gets me to give their book a try, only to be disappointed when I actually have that book in my hand because the execution wasn't equal to the writer's "enthusiasm". That's why I tend to wait and listen to what people are saying about certain books before I put out the money on it these days.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Must be weird saying that, right? I felt the same way all things considered. And I'm one of the few who liked the n52 armored suit. Ever since it's removal I've always wanted the trunks back but then was on board with the reborn suit (if only they've kept the cuffs it would've been perfect imo).

Yeah, its weird to look at the classic suit and think "Superman doesnt look right."

Shame. We spent years trying to get a worthy re-design out of DC, and just a year or so after finding one, DC drops it in favor of nostalgia.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-12-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

The last person that was this enthusiastic about writing Superman was Scott Lobdell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, its weird to look at the classic suit and think "Superman doesnt look right."

Shame. We spent years trying to get a worthy re-design out of DC, and just a year or so after finding one, DC drops it in favor of nostalgia.
    I'm not even against nostalgia or the trunks, but I sadly have to agree .

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    That is the sticking point isn't it? Bendis certain is enthusiastic about Superman and he is saying all the right things in interviews but its really going to boil down to the execution. That's pretty much where my concern lies. I've had far too many writers say all the right things in interviews, which gets me to give their book a try, only to be disappointed when I actually have that book in my hand because the execution wasn't equal to the writer's "enthusiasm". That's why I tend to wait and listen to what people are saying about certain books before I put out the money on it these days.
    I learned that the hard way on Wonder Woman irt really does boil down to skill in the end I just hope Bendis after his near brush with death made him more cautious of the way he lived.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The last person that was this enthusiastic about writing Superman was Scott Lobdell.
    Well... Thanks for the buzz kill, Mr. Buzz Killington

Also see JMS prior to Grounded.

To be fair to Lobdell he had great ideas and would have been a hell of an editor. The execution however was poor to mediocre most of the time.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Lobdell had some pretty good ideas to be honesty, the execution is the part that didn't work. Let's hope Bendis brings his A game to Superman. We need it.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Well... Thanks for the buzz kill, Mr. Buzz Killington

Also see JMS prior to Grounded.

To be fair to Lobdell he had great ideas and would have been a hell of an editor. The execution however was poor to mediocre most of the time.
    Lobdell also had Rocafort, so at least everything looked pretty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Lobdell had some pretty good ideas to be honesty, the execution is the part that didn't work. Let's hope Bendis brings his A game to Superman. We need it.
    Superbooks have been on their a-game for a while now.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    I've barely been able to take my eyes of the Reis page since it was released.
    Same here, it's gorgeous.