Page 7 of 613 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107507 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I wasn't trying to spook anyone with the origin talk (though anything that undoes Johns god awful one can't be all bad). And I don't know that's what it is. I'm going entirely off of the admittedly vague things he said and the very blurry pictures accompanying it. But given that Rebirth Superman is an "all new" Superman incorporating elements of the previous versions, it would make sense they would give him a new one and put it in a side mini. It doesn't sound like this is going to affect the main books all that much regardless. There's absolutely no way they are getting rid of Jon or the marriage. Getting rid of the marriage was one of the main things that killed New 52. They know that. The person who said Krypton was probably intentionally destroyed by some new villain is probably correct. Though we've just had two "back to Krypton" stories already. It would be kind of nice if they could find some other well to draw from. It also depends on if Johns will let them get rid of his and how attached to it he is. I see all this as trying to get back to some kind of old status quo. The handing the reigns off to one person worked well for them with Byrne, they may see Bendis in the same light. For better or worse.
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    I was 3 years old then and even that makes me feel old. I'm realizing I'm about to hit 30 soon... wow.
    I was 13 then ...So do the math!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Wow...so the Bendis takeover really is happening.

-6 issue Man of Steel weekly
    -Action Comics continues with issue 1001. Will cover Clark's daily planet life
    -Superman relaunching with a new #1, going monthly
    -All of this written by Bendis alone
    -Clark's adoptive parents are on one of the covers with Jon, are they back?
    Superman being a bombastic DC Superhero book with Action focused more on the Planet and Metropolis is a traditional dynamic but one I can get behind if actually handled well.

Again, Bendis is only just starting at DC and he's already getting the best artists.

So I guess if they're relaunching Superman but keeping Action's numbering we might see the same thing happen with other titles getting new creative teams, with stuff like 'Tec keeping their numbering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Normally I'd be annoyed at a single writer getting both books, and I was hoping Bendis would bring someone new to handle whichever book he wasn't going to be on, but this is still an improvement over what both books have going on right now.
    I think it'll be an improvement if Bendis brings his A-Game here, but I've been burned on him writing all the major books in a franchise before.
    And here's the cover art for the mini, which at first glance looks like it'll be something of an origin story.

So something to do with Superman's origin.
    I don't know what makes me more apprehensive, Bendis trying to do a monumental change to Superman's status quo, trying to shove in an original villain connected to Superman's origin (like we haven't had that before), or just in general another look at Superman's origin for the umpteenth time .
    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think Lois would sound awesome with Bendis-speak. I also enjoyed most of the Uncanny/All-New X-Men run, though it really collapsed at the end with dumb creative decisions.
    I think Lois deserves better then Bendis-speak, but I guess it would work for her in a way it might not with other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    I feel like we're gonna be seeing a lot of Bibbo again. Does anyone else feel like that's a possibility? More Bibbo is always a good thing.
    I think Bendis would probably write a good Bibbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Whoa, even Jimenez can't make the red trunk works as anything but an horrible design choice. I'm kind of impressed. I may get DC Nation for the Batman story line and possibly the JL (if Supes isn't front and center). Or I'll just read those stories in my LCS? I don't know yet.
    Yeah, even with Jimenez's art the trunks look really out-of-place and weird on that cover.

Spectacular Member

Ten years ago I would be excited to have Bendis write Superman, but now I'm rather reserved about it. His last two big runs, X-Men and Iron Man, aren't going to be in many top 10. Then again, maybe changing teams to DC is exactly what he needs.

One thing we definitely don't need is another Superman's origin. It's probably because he doesn't have something as definitive as Batman's Year One and everyone wants to be the one to write something like that, but having at least four in 14 years is a little too much (Birthright 2004, Secret Origin 2009, Morrison's New 52 2011 and now this).

Astonishing Member

Wow, Bendis is on both books. Well seeing as he was Marvel's most successful writer this was a no-brainier but his description of the new villain is intriguing. I'm curious about what he means about this villain supposedly connects to Supes origin. Will they borrow a leaf from the Superman: The Animated series playbook and connect the antagonist with the destruction of Krypton?
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-01-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I'll reserve judgement until it actually comes out and we see how it goes. And with Bendis promising not to get rid of what's already established (Jon and married to Lois), I'll remain on the optimistic side. Rebirth has taken Superman in the right direction, in my opinion, with the Super Family dynamic going on. Jon is probably my favorite character right now throughout DC. Edging out even the real Lobo.

Welp, it at least looks like enough for me to give it a try. The Action Aftermath issues left a whole lot open to interpretation so there could, conceivably, be improvements made to the Secret Origin template so its not actually as awful as Secret Origin actually was. Or I guess it could always be made worse, lol. But we'll see. This was the type of thing I remember talking to Ascended about. The template for the origin is solid enough. The overall mini was crap, but if it can be supplemented within the foundation, which the new continuity allows, there could be a winner there. Conceivably.

Bendis said he's not getting rid of anything from the Tomasi/Gleason and Jurgens runs.

Jon isn't going anywhere.
    But thankfully, that he's not mentioned much in this hype is a positive in that it gives me hope that focus will be where focus should be: Superman. I wouldn't have as much a problem with the kid as I do if in the main books he is where he belongs in general: the background.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-01-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

I wonder what Superman would be like if Dan Slott was writing him.

Will this be the Bendis who wrote the first volume of Ultimate Spider-Man? If that Bendis even still exists, I am cautiously optimistic. If, however, this is the Bendis of Avengers Disassembled, AVX, and Iron Man, I'm done. Yet again, DC proves it will give fans what they want but only just so much. "Here's the classic uniform, but we're replacing the creators who have done phenomenal work with the character over the last two years (one of whom has done legendary work on the character in 30 years of working for us) with a guy who seems to have creatively peaked sometime in the first decade of this century."
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

The thing with working on a character for so long though...you start to run out of things to say. That's where Jurgens is at right now, tbh. Action isn't terrible but its not giving us much he hasn't told before to those who are familiar with his work. Obviously saying brand new things with a character that's over 80 is hard in of itself, but its compounded when its the same guy retelling the same beats.

Tomasi and Gleason on the other hand, they haven't done anything great since last summer. The run has coasted off of good art and constant Bat presence since then. Their bread and butter is clearly the kids, mostly Damian and then Jon. So let Gleason join Super Sons, the place where those characters can feature prominently and more appropriately. Rotate the artists or something (as Jimenez doesn't deserve to lose a spot).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-01-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    Will this be the Bendis who wrote the first volume of Ultimate Spider-Man? If that Bendis even still exists, I am cautiously optimistic. If, however, this is the Bendis of Avengers Disassembled, AVX, and Iron Man, I'm done
    His work on Infamous Iron Man and Defenders was top notch lately. He's just not very good at blockbuster runs.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I do hope Tomasi and Jurgens stay on within the orbit of the Superverse.im hoping Tomasi and Gleeson stay on Supersons and keep developing Jon there. It's not likely, but I wouldn't be opposed to Jurgens being an artist on either Superman or Actionand help pitch in on plot or fill in writing if Bendis falls behind schedule or takes an issue off.

I hope this is a case of Tomasi and Jurgens runs reaching a natural agreed upon end and not a case of unceremoniously firing as was a case with Jurgens in 1999.I hated how that all went down for he and Louise Simonson back then.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

If they were booted, that's twice it's happened to Jurgens. But I fear you might be right. We know Tomasi didn't want to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    So which character will he kill off first to create drama? Maybe Steel or Lana?
    Can't see it being them. Lana was depowered when Superwoman got cancelled, so it'd be a real kick in the teeth if she was slain in her next appearance.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wait, Gleason already is on Super Sons?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    His work on Infamous Iron Man and Defenders was top notch lately. He's just not very good at blockbuster runs.
    Infamous was okay up until the end but it's far from what I would call a high-mark run.

Defenders is probably one of Bendis' strongest books in a while, but it's also in his street-crime niche.