Page 74 of 613 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174574 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 9194
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To be fair though, its exceedingly common. Lots of people who are gay have stories about how in their younger years they dated someone of the opposite sex, not necessarily just out of the desire to seem "normal" but because there were indeed qualities to that person that they were attracted to. It just took time to understand why sexual attraction wasn't included. So in a sense its not really a lie. There are feelings there, just not the whole package because they're still coming to terms that their physical attraction lies elsewhere.
    I hope that doesn't read as me intending to demean real people who have that experience. But it's really creator's choice and I doubt we'll see Bendis doing that one thing again (after Bobby Drake that would be pretty repetitive, as there are countless ways to show diversity other than repeat that story). I would imagine the odds are maybe higher that someone in a tolerant environment is more likely to meet an adult who is already out or a new person who has such an experience than having someone close to them come out. Meanwhile Jimmy's had a remarkable character trajectory of really hilarious situations regarding women, I think he can keep being as he's shown to be while building up a new character. Jimmy didn't suffer any during the years of Keith and Ron.

Not at all, at least I didn't take it like that.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I don't know if it's pretend or not but I will say this: Bendis' comments about Lois remind me that, sometimes, a "liberal" guy who thinks he knows best is more dangerous to women than an outright misogynist.

Look...I understand that there is a very decent possibility that even if Lois and Clark split up temporarily that they will, eventually, reconcile. I get that. I don't need to be told that. HOWEVER...and this is important...

There is this deeply embedded societal idea that "strong" women like Lois have to be "alone" and "go it alone" in order to be taken seriously. And folks...that is just not a positive thing to put out into the universe. Nor is it fair. This kind of sexism is part of the reason why Steve Trevor was essentially tossed out of the Wonder Woman franchise for decades on end. Because people couldn't understand why a woman as powerful as Wonder Woman might also deserve to have a partner by her side who supported her and cared about her and was PART of her story.

Everyone wants Lois Lane to have a solo book. No one wants that more than me. But it does not send a good message at ALL about the way this company views women or understands women and what we deserve and need if the only way they know how to do it is to make her "go it alone." That is NOT progress, guys. That is not feminism. Women like Lois---career oriented, aggressive women---already face a public stigma that they are too serious, unlovable "selfish" etc. Lois and Clark being married to begin with was already an affront to that stigma, guys. It was like one of the only examples in fiction where the super serious aggressive job lady wasn't also painted as lonely etc.

DC Comics should be able to give Lois the spotlight she deserves while also allowing her to be loved and supported by her spouse. This is not rocket science and it's not progress for women or the franchise if they can't. And a male writer trying to paint Lois leaving the husband she loves and who loves her in return as a "feminist "act of some kind (as he appears to be trying to do here) should be deeply, deeply concerning to people.
    I agree with you. I don't like this idea of separating them even temporarily. They are simply too good together. But i had not seen this from this point of view. And you are right. I don't see how a women can't be both successful in her career while being a loving wife and mother. If there is a solo book it better be in this scenario. Striking against this stigma. Rebirth has actually made Superman unique by giving him a family and son. Hope they appreciate keeping things unique. (For now. After all only Lois shall not have her book).

But let us see. The thread has been derailed with the possibilty of this interview being a prank/hoax.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-15-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Amazing Member

I don't know if it's pretend or not but I will say this: Bendis' comments about Lois remind me that, sometimes, a "liberal" guy who thinks he knows best is more dangerous to women than an outright misogynist.

Look...I understand that there is a very decent possibility that even if Lois and Clark split up temporarily that they will, eventually, reconcile. I get that. I don't need to be told that. HOWEVER...and this is important...

There is this deeply embedded societal idea that "strong" women like Lois have to be "alone" and "go it alone" in order to be taken seriously. And folks...that is just not a positive thing to put out into the universe. Nor is it fair. This kind of sexism is part of the reason why Steve Trevor was essentially tossed out of the Wonder Woman franchise for decades on end. Because people couldn't understand why a woman as powerful as Wonder Woman might also deserve to have a partner by her side who supported her and cared about her and was PART of her story.

Everyone wants Lois Lane to have a solo book. No one wants that more than me. But it does not send a good message at ALL about the way this company views women or understands women and what we deserve and need if the only way they know how to do it is to make her "go it alone." That is NOT progress, guys. That is not feminism. Women like Lois---career oriented, aggressive women---already face a public stigma that they are too serious, unlovable "selfish" etc. Lois and Clark being married to begin with was already an affront to that stigma, guys. It was like one of the only examples in fiction where the super serious aggressive job lady wasn't also painted as lonely etc.

DC Comics should be able to give Lois the spotlight she deserves while also allowing her to be loved and supported by her spouse. This is not rocket science and it's not progress for women or the franchise if they can't. And a male writer trying to paint Lois leaving the husband she loves and who loves her in return as a "feminist "act of some kind (as he appears to be trying to do here) should be deeply, deeply concerning to people.
    I 100% agree with this. For all the talk of diversity in this article, I feel like it's nice to have a healthy, happy functional family represented in comics. Relationship drama between clark and lois is at the very bottom of the list of things I'm interested in seeing going forward.

I'd also like to add that there was a whole lot of conflating legal and illegal immigration in this interview. There is a difference. One is good, one is bad. Regardless over how much immigration you believe is good for the country, securing the borders is not a radical, racist thing to want, and a few years ago that's something that everyone was able to agree upon. He specifically mentions that the right to come to america and build a life for yourself is being infringed upon. This is not a right that exists. You will find no country on earth with open borders because you cannot have a country when you have open borders.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    I 100% agree with this. For all the talk of diversity in this article, I feel like it's nice to have a healthy, happy functional family represented in comics. Relationship drama between clark and lois is at the very bottom of the list of things I'm interested in seeing going forward.

So I mean.....look....they can have drama. Marriage can be hard. But the problem with his comments here (if this is in fact truthful and not fake) is that he's doing this thing that liberal men like to do where they essentially imply that women are stronger if they "evolve" away from the men they love who support them. And God guys...that is just depressing as hell.

I am so tired of liberal white men like Bendis trying to act like they know more about being a woman than actual women do. And that's what this feels like here.

The very idea that in order for Lois to "evolve" is to leave her husband (because make no mistake---it will absolutely be her leaving him and it will be painted as a feminist act) is very, very troubling. Women deserve better than this. LOIS deserves better than this. She should not have to leave the man she loves---who loves her in return---to make some kind of feminist statement here. That is not progress. It just reiterates this idea that strong women need to "go it alone" and I don't know how women are supposed to live and thrive in a world where men keep doing this to us and paining us into this kind of corner.

The reason Superman is a progressive male character in the modern era is because Lois doesn't have to choose between her personal power and loving him. He never ASKS her to. It's why shows like "Lois and Clark" and caught on and were popular with women distinctly because it's this amazing male character who doesn't ask a woman to change who she is. Lois gets to remain Lois and he loves her for it. That's the appeal of their romance and their love story. Clark Kent is not an obstacle to Lois Lane's feminism and any male writer who is making him one is doing her a huge disservice.

So if this Dolores tends to make those pranks, is that why she's "The worst poster ever"?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Please Dolores. In the name of all that is good, end this now. I beg you!

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

So I mean.....look....they can have drama. Marriage can be hard. But the problem with his comments here (if this is in fact truthful and not fake) is that he's doing this thing that liberal men like to do where they essentially imply that women are stronger if they "evolve" away from the men they love who support them. And God guys...that is just depressing as hell.

I am so tired of liberal white men like Bendis trying to act like they know more about being a woman than actual women do. And that's what this feels like here.

The very idea that in order for Lois to "evolve" is to leave her husband (because make no mistake---it will absolutely be her leaving him and it will be painted as a feminist act) is very, very troubling. Women deserve better than this. LOIS deserves better than this. She should not have to leave the man she loves---who loves her in return---to make some kind of feminist statement here. That is not progress. It just reiterates this idea that strong women need to "go it alone" and I don't know how women are supposed to live and thrive in a world where men keep doing this to us and paining us into this kind of corner.

The reason Superman is a progressive male character in the modern era is because Lois doesn't have to choose between her personal power and loving him. He never ASKS her to. It's why shows like "Lois and Clark" and caught on and were popular with women distinctly because it's this amazing male character who doesn't ask a woman to change who she is. Lois gets to remain Lois and he loves her for it. That's the appeal of their romance and their love story. Clark Kent is not an obstacle to Lois Lane's feminism and any male writer who is making him one is doing her a huge disservice.
    What did Bendis even say?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Amazing Member

I would be okay with arguments and marital bumps now and then as subplots but portraying things getting to the point where it's dysfunctional enough for them to separate is just gross. Clark and lois are wonderful, well-adjusted people. They've made marriage vows to one another and they have a kid together. Separating outside of some betrayal of those vows (which I don't believe would be in character for either of them) or some kind of abuse going on (again, not a thing that's within the realm of possibility), going that direction is just a very, very crappy thing to have the characters do, and it undermines trust on a level that poisons things even if they work out in the end.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    But let us see. The thread has been derailed with the possibilty of this interview being a prank/hoax.
    Yeah, I did consider that since that wasn't with the digital Action issue as I've seen. As lame as the idea of it being a hoax is, it frankly falls in line with what's already been said. Bendis has been known to repeat things verbatim across interviews, and I see a little bit of that. Paying enough attention to quirks like that for a mild, subtle prank would be weird.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    I would be okay with arguments and marital bumps now and then as subplots but portraying things getting to the point where it's dysfunctional enough for them to separate is just gross. Clark and lois are wonderful, well-adjusted people. They've made marriage vows to one another and they have a kid together. Separating outside of some betrayal of those vows (which I don't believe would be in character for either of them) or some kind of abuse going on (again, not a thing that's within the realm of possibility), going that direction is just a very, very crappy thing to have the characters do, and it undermines trust on a level that poisons things even if they work out in the end.
    Ok...I don't actually agree with this. I think there are reasons people separate that have nothing to do with there being a lack of love and I don't think separations "poison" anything per se. I know a couple who literally got divorced after having 4 children together and then for remarried 3 years later because they realized they made a huge mistake.

I think there could be a realistic way of Lois and Clark struggling but, ultimately, just being one of those couples who can't "quit" each other. Like the line 'I can't quit you" definitely applies to them across the board over the span of 80 years from their courtship to marriage. They come back to each other repeatedly for this reason over and over again.

BUT--and this is a huge BUT----I also feel like they are the kind of couple that would work through it and work through it and do whatever it took to stay together. They are not the type to give up and Lois should never have to leave him to prove some kind of agency or strength. It's just a very unfair thing to do to her.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Ok...I don't actually agree with this. I think there are reasons people separate that have nothing to do with there being a lack of love and I don't think separations "poison" anything per se. I know a couple who literally got divorced after having 4 children together and then for remarried 3 years later because they realized they made a huge mistake.

I think there could be a realistic way of Lois and Clark struggling but, ultimately, just being one of those couples who can't "quit" each other. Like the line 'I can't quit you" definitely applies to them across the board over the span of 80 years from their courtship to marriage. They come back to each other repeatedly for this reason over and over again.

BUT--and this is a huge BUT----I also feel like they are the kind of couple that would work through it and work through it and do whatever it took to stay together. They are not the type to give up and Lois should never have to leave him to prove some kind of agency or strength. It's just a very unfair thing to do to her.
    Excuse me but what exactly did Bendis say?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah, I did consider that since that wasn't with the digital Action issue as I've seen. As lame as the idea of it being a hoax is, it frankly falls in line with what's already been said. Bendis has been known to repeat things verbatim across interviews, and I see a little bit of that. Paying enough attention to quirks like that for a mild, subtle prank would be weird.
    You underestimate the evolution of Dolores' pranks.

Again I ask, why hasn't Bendis posted about this on Twitter. He literally just posted 33 minutes ago about the Krypton show, but he's not gonna talk about this too? This is the most information on the project he's given, but he's talking about it on Twitter. He seems super passionate in the interview and the fact that he basically all but confirms a Lois solo, the idea of him not putting this on twitter is kind of nuts given that the last thing he posted regarding his Superman and Action run was just a single new quote from SXSW.

Also those Bendis pictures are all oddly Photoshoped from older pictures. And the Lois and Clark image is zoomed in a bunch and slightly blurred because of it. Plus the many grammatical errors and lack of any source at all.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You underestimate the evolution of Dolores' pranks. Again I ask, why hasn't Bendis posted about this on Twitter. He literally just posted 33 minutes ago about the Krypton show, but he's not gonna talk about this too? This is the most information on the project he's given, but he's talking about it on Twitter. He seems super passionate in the interview and the fact that he basically all but confirms a Lois solo, the idea of him not putting this on twitter is kind of nuts given that the last thing he posted regarding his Superman and Action run was just a single new quote from SXSW.

Also those Bendis pictures are all oddly Photoshoped from older pictures. And the Lois and Clark image is zoomed in a bunch and slightly blurred because of it. Plus the many grammatical errors and lack of any source at all.
    Yeah it's pretty sloppy and professional, but apart from the lack of proofreading it reads legitimately enough. Even if it's a prank, I could see bendis doing/believing all of this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Plus the many grammatical errors and lack of any source at all.
    To be fair, even this site has articles full of grammatical errors.