Page 88 of 613 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138188588 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

And there that is. I can't sit here and say "because Bendis wrote this way on this Marvel book, he'll write this way on this DC book. It'd be one thing if this was writer who bounced around, but this is a writer who just literally hasn't written much outside of Marvel and independent work. Speaking of his independent work, no one seems to like to bring up that his indie work is decidedly different from most of his Marvel work. Context matters. So when presented with the "well, he wrote it like this over here" for Bendis I have to squint my eyes in skepticism because that's a short sighted view for this situation in particular.

So while I can't profess to know anything, I feel like it's appropriate to not assume because X-Men looked like this Superman will look like it too because Bendis. Again, he's a writer, and context should be taken into account.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And there that is. I can't sit here and say "because Bendis wrote this way on this Marvel book, he'll write this way on this DC book. It'd be one thing if this was writer who bounced around, but this is a writer who just literally hasn't written much outside of Marvel and independent work. Speaking of his independent work, no one seems to like to bring up that his indie work is decidedly different from most of his Marvel work. Context matters. So when presented with the "well, he wrote it like this over here" for Bendis I have to squint my eyes in skepticism because that's a short sighted view for this situation in particular.

So while I can't profess to know anything, I feel like it's appropriate to not assume because X-Men looked like this Superman will look like it too because Bendis. Again, he's a writer, and context should be taken into account.
    Well said.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Certainly not. And I'm not saying he has write it the exact same way as any other story. At the same time its not out of bounds to look at that past stuff when something else comes about that could, potentially, be seen as a link. That's all I'm doing. It doesn't mean I'm going to be right, but I certainly think its nothing out of bounds to look to when forming theories. And at the end of the day anyone is free to look at a theory and say "whoa, maybe you have something there" or think "That's crazy talk". Its a potential connecting of dots from a foundation that on its own is very thin due to lack of information in the first place, after all. So I get that, and its cool to not see it. Its something on my mind though.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    How is any further tampering with Superman preferable to telling new and interesting stories that don't involve altering continuity yet again? I just don't understand this defense, especially since the last change was only a little over a year ago (Reborn) and still hasn't been fully explained.
    I'm not exactly defending it, I'm just preparing myself for the worst and trying to rationalize what's going on in a way that makes me feel better about what they're going to do. As popular as the current status quo is, it's not everybody's cup of tea and we've heard concerns of it growing "stale", as Sacred and a couple of others will attest. If Doomsday Clock is still in advance of everything, there's little to worry about and we can stand to have some drama building up to it.

I will reiterate though that while I find it stale, at the same time I recognize everyone doesn't feel the same way. It really all depends on what DC thinks, when we get right down to it. I dunno. But at the end of the day I'm just bouncing ideas. I don't even necessarily will attest that I think they're GOOD ideas, they're just thin dots connected from a thin source, but its enough to get me thinking and in the mean time that's all I have to do as the books aren't out yet, heh.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It really all depends on what DC thinks, when we get right down to it.
    DC might agree, we've seen interviews with writers of other titles like Percy and Abnett who have talked at length about needing to shake things up, but they have also always reassured readers that once the story plays out, the characters are in a stronger place and we've taken a break from the "sweetness". Arthur and Mera's engagement storyline has been around since Rebirth began and there's no telling when we'll get the pay-off to that due to all the drama going on with Arthur losing the throne and Mera gaining it...Batman could well be married before them.

Actually, that's a pretty interesting thought...Superman could lose his family for a while, and DC's flagship cash cow could very well be starting one.

It occurs to me that I haven't actually given my opinion on what I personally think will happen. Well, as most look for cosmic related answers, I'm thinking Bendis might be going a bit more down to Earth (relatively speaking).

-As far as Lois and Jon goes in relation to this, I'm thinking nothing related to the plot happened to them. I'm actually thinking they might've gone on an adventure, just the two of them, and for once Clark is covering for them. That's why it's the Planet staff that asks about them. But I think the idea will be to move them aside so that MOS can squarely be about Clark/Superman stuff. Compare this solicit to say Superman Reborn. Those solicits were vague as carp even though something happens to Jon in the very first issue. For me, it's too up front to be anything but a misdirect. They are mentioned in basically every issue, so I'm assuming we'll be cutting to them often. Bendis has mentioned he's having a blast writing Lois and Jon, and I think that's because they'll be together through this mini. They may even be in a back up.

-Rogol Zaar has likely been looking for Superman since Krypton blew (thus fulfilling this "a threat from his earliest origins reemerges to destroy the Last Son of Krypton"). It specifies that he's been leading "a string of atrocities across the cosmos that have led him to the Fortress of Solitude." My guess is that Berndis will be using Superman's rep across the cosmos to serve as a trail for Zaar to follow (like a space Kraven the hunter), and the trophies from other worlds in the Fortress will be his ultimate beacon to find Superman. So it looks like Bendis might be more prominently reinstating Superman's galactic status. And given his love for Superman #400, I can see that.

-The arsonist with the ability to evade Superman's senses seems like it'll be a Clark thing to figure out. His introduction in the solicits also happens to be where the Planet first gets mentioned, so I feel pretty confident in that being the investigation issue.

My ultimate guess is that Man of Steel will function as a thesis for how Bendis' run will function. Zaar represents the Superman book. That's a big galactic foe for Superman to fight, and that lines up with what Bendis has described the book as. The arsonist being able to evade Superman and mess with the city is set up for Action Comics. That's the sort of story where I imagine we'll get the whole public opinion aspect that Bendis is so interested in. People wondering how effective Superman is if an arsonist is getting the better of him, and Clark having to step in. I imagine Zaar is going to end up blowing up the Fortress. Issue 3 says "and when he reaches the Fortress of Solitude, his actions will cut Superman to the core." Blowing up his dad's Fortress would likely do that. This leaves space for Bendis to do his version, and thus further solidify this as a new start.

I'm thinking the main idea will be to get into Clark's head, and sort of get how he balances all of these aspects of himself: the hero, alien, reporter, husband, father, and cousin. Bendis seems very interested in exploring how multifaceted Superman is as a person. He says as much during the Word Balloon interview where he says "Clark as a hero, son, husband, father, reporter, and more." This seems like the thesis on that idea.

That's my honest guess on what Man of Steel will be.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-21-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Sadly, he really said it in the Forbes interview that announced that he was taking over Superman.
    Interesting, after COIE, Superman become a lot more grounded. Ok so this is a huge reach and this is me grasping at straws.. Bendis did say he wants to explore Clark as a reporter more, maybe he takes it a step further and somehow separates superman and clark kent? That could be why the Superman book is focused on big action stories and features the DCU at large while Action Comics features just Clark Kent and Metropolis a lot more..I know this sounds crazy, but I always thought there was a weird distinction between the two books and that would give cause to why Bendis decided to separate each book like that as well as make a change as big as the first crisis.

Sure, it will be met with a lot of controversy, but it gives time for Bendis to really flesh out Clark and also give more focus on Metropoli & the daily planet. Basically it would be a superman red/blue situation, but played out differently and more long term.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It occurs to me that I haven't actually given my opinion on what I personally think will happen. Well, as most look for cosmic related answers, I'm thinking Bendis might be going a bit more down to Earth (relatively speaking).

-As far as Lois and Jon goes in relation to this, I'm thinking nothing related to the plot happened to them. I'm actually thinking they might've gone on an adventure, just the two of them, and for once Clark is covering for them. That's why it's the Planet staff that asks about them. But I think the idea will be to move them aside so that MOS can squarely be about Clark/Superman stuff. Compare this solicit to say Superman Reborn. Those solicits were vague as carp even though something happens to Jon in the very first issue. For me, it's too up front to be anything but a misdirect. They are mentioned in basically every issue, so I'm assuming we'll be cutting to them often. Bendis has mentioned he's having a blast writing Lois and Jon, and I think that's because they'll be together through this mini. They may even be in a back up.

-Rogol Zaar has likely been looking for Superman since Krypton blew (thus fulfilling this "a threat from his earliest origins reemerges to destroy the Last Son of Krypton"). It specifies that he's been leading "a string of atrocities across the cosmos that have led him to the Fortress of Solitude." My guess is that Berndis will be using Superman's rep across the cosmos to serve as a trail for Zaar to follow (like a space Kraven the hunter), and the trophies from other worlds in the Fortress will be his ultimate beacon to find Superman. So it looks like Bendis might be more prominently reinstating Superman's galactic status. And given his love for Superman #400, I can see that.

-The arsonist with the ability to evade Superman's senses seems like it'll be a Clark thing to figure out. His introduction in the solicits also happens to be where the Planet first gets mentioned, so I feel pretty confident in that being the investigation issue.

My ultimate guess is that Man of Steel will function as a thesis for how Bendis' run will function. Zaar represents the Superman book. That's a big galactic foe for Superman to fight, and that lines up with what Bendis has described the book as. The arsonist being able to evade Superman and mess with the city is set up for Action Comics. That's the sort of story where I imagine we'll get the whole public opinion aspect that Bendis is so interested in. People wondering how effective Superman is if an arsonist is getting the better of him, and Clark having to step in. I imagine Zaar is going to end up blowing up the Fortress. Issue 3 says "and when he reaches the Fortress of Solitude, his actions will cut Superman to the core." Blowing up his dad's Fortress would likely do that. This leaves space for Bendis to do his version, and thus further solidify this as a new start.

I'm thinking the main idea will be to get into Clark's head, and sort of get how he balances all of these aspects of himself: the hero, alien, reporter, husband, father, and cousin. That's my honest guess on what Man of Steel will be.
    I love all of these theories and I imagine they will happen. I really hope the fortress doesn't blow up, as I don't see much purpose in that besides shock value. I do figure Bendis will do something drastic of course based on that interview and changing the status quo in the biggest way since 'Crisis", though I just don't think the public having a negative opinion of superman over a arsonist is a big enough change to what he is describing.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I love all of these theories and I imagine they will happen. I really hope the fortress doesn't blow up, as I don't see much purpose in that besides shock value. I do figure Bendis will do something drastic of course based on that interview and changing the status quo in the biggest way since 'Crisis", though I just don't think the public having a negative opinion of superman over a arsonist is a big enough change to what he is describing.
    Thanks! I figure the Fortress blowing up is more in service of Bendis getting to rebuild it as an instantly identifiable and tangible marker of this new era. Just as any Superman fan, I'm guessing he has his own favorite Fortress or he might even want to redefine how it works. As a bonus, this will also serve to depacify Cyborg Superman, and I imagine Clark will take him to Sanctuary. Given Batman has just declared Ivy not a villain, I can only image that Superman will give up a similarly tragic and power villain over to it for care, and set up for the event.

I'm not saying that negative public opinion is going to be the change. I'm saying that's going to be set up for how Action will work. Bendis has explained how public opinion will be a really big part of his work in Action, and I'm guessing this is where we'll get our first taste.

And as far as what the big change will be? I'm sticking to the idea that it will be a change in Superman's (and Clark's) way of going about heroics. Bendis has said that Superman and what he stands for are more relevant today than it has been in some time, and how he has Superman go about that expressing that will be a big part of this, so I'm guessing that's the big change, and Jurgens and King seem to have kicked it off. Funny enough this jells with his Crisis comments. Aside from the continuity change (which Bendis has explained will not be what he's doing) the big change was to Superman outlook, right? That's what we all get up in arms about when we discuss pre vs post. So it stands to reason that a change bigger than post-crisis for Superman that is not a reboot would be a change in approach and outlook.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-21-2018 at 03:07 PM.

BANNED

I have no idea what he'll ultimately do, but any situation where he breaks up the family rings false given how generous the solicitations are with that info and Bendis is with the trolling. He's playing on the expectations of a new team, and his reputation, and that prompts conversation and buzz like this.
    If Johns was still involved like he has been during the Rebirth era, I'd agree. DiDio, however, apparently now has more control over the publishing division. He's writing one of the new imprint's books, he's behind DC Black Label (or whatever it's called) and Bendis made it clear that DiDio has extensive "plans" for the future. I have never trusted this man to do right by Superman, and when I see the word "new direction" in the same sentence as "Dan DiDio," I don't doubt for a second that anything can happen. It's unfortunate that the anything is usually insulting to DC's flagship character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I doubt pretty much nothing at this point. Except the idea that nothing in regards to Jon will be concretely erased which makes him unable to be used right now. So he won't die/be erased from existence. He will still be there, and he will still be used in whatever project they're going to do going forward with him, Damian, and the other kids. Anything else, considering the storm of who's involved? Nothing's off the table in my mind. Now, you say that, and at face value you think, okay well doesn't that limit the options right there? If the kid isn't dying or being erased what can you do? Well, considering the works I've been researching that this particular writer has done before...kinda a lot. I won't argue for all the sense all those stories have made, but they're there all the same. So who knows. I sure won't say I know for sure, but at the same time I'm even less comfortable saying I doubt anything other than that former point.

In general though, with every minute that goes by I become more convinced that, whatever the ultimate direction may be, we're going to see time travel. In a vacuum I'd be willing to bet on that general idea.
    Let's say you're right about time travel. It's a very tone-deaf decision given the last few years of Rebirth. With Doomsday Clock delayed and Johns hands-off, the DCU is now stuck in a bizarre New 52/pre-Flashpoint hybrid. We know that Manhattan split Superman in two, but not how that worked or why. We also saw the complete erasure of a series with major implications for the past, present, and future of the DCU (Convergence) and have been given no answers as to what really happened. The two "halves" of Superman are restored, along with the halves of Lois, and there was a second Clark Kent who was really Mxyzptlk. Action Comics 1000 seems like the perfect opportunity to get Superman and his mythos back to basics. Bring back the DP and the supporting cast, Lois and Clark as reporters, Superman no longer engaged in mysteries involving godlike beings messing with his life or his birth dad screwing with his life. Instead, we get MORE tinkering and convolution.

I'm thinking the main idea will be to get into Clark's head, and sort of get how he balances all of these aspects of himself: the hero, alien, reporter, husband, father, and cousin. Bendis seems very interested in exploring how multifaceted Superman is as a person. He says as much during the Word Balloon interview where he says "Clark as a hero, son, husband, father, reporter, and more." This seems like the thesis on that idea.

That's my honest guess on what Man of Steel will be.
    If COIE hadn't been mentioned and DiDio wasn't involved, I'd be inclined to think you're right on the money.

Thanks! I figure the Fortress blowing up is more in service of Bendis getting to rebuild it as an instantly identifiable and tangible marker of this new era. Just as any Superman fan, I'm guessing he has his own favorite Fortress or he might even want to redefine how it works. As a bonus, this will also serve to depacify Cyborg Superman, and I imagine Clark will take him to Sanctuary. Given Batman has just declared Ivy not a villain, I can only image that Superman will give up a similarly tragic and power villain over to it for care, and set up for the event.

I'm not saying that negative public opinion is going to be the change. I'm saying that's going to be set up for how Action will work. Bendis has explained how public opinion will be a really big part of his work in Action, and I'm guessing this is where we'll get our first taste.

And as far as what the big change will be? I'm sticking to the idea that it will be a change in Superman's (and Clark's) way of going about heroics. Bendis has said that Superman and what he stands for are more relevant today than it has been in some time, and how he has Superman go about that expressing that will be a big part of this, so I'm guessing that's the big change, and Jurgens and King seem to have kicked it off. Funny enough this jells with his Crisis comments. Aside from the continuity change (which Bendis has explained will not be what he's doing) the big change was to Superman outlook, right? That's what we all get up in arms about when we discuss pre vs post. So it stands to reason that a change bigger than post-crisis for Superman that is not a reboot would be a change in approach and outlook.
    No offense, but what gives you the confidence to trust what Bendis has said about not making changes to continuity? He told John Siuntres he's not changing continuity, yet he told Forbes something else entirely. The solicits suggest the latter. I loved his work on Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1, but I don't trust Bendis based on the work he's done since.

No offense, but what gives you the confidence to trust what Bendis has said about not making changes to continuity?
    Because he said he wouldn't.

He told John Siuntres he's not changing continuity, yet he told Forbes something else entirely.
    That's not true. He likened his shift in status quo to Crisis, but there's nothing that indicates this is literal (ie change in continuity) and not just remarking on a shift in direction or format that's comparable to Crisis. The two statements have yet to contradict as far as I'm concerned. You're more than welcome to your own views though.

As I said before, outside of the actual changes in continuity, the biggest and most persistent topics that fans and creators alike seem to go back to when talking about the shift from pre to post-crisis has been Superman and Clark's depiction and overall personality. Writers like Millar and Morrison (to a much lesser extent) have gone on record saying that was the biggest shift with Crisis as far as Superman goes. So it stands to reason that if he's comparing it to 80s reboot, and the 80s reboot's defining characteristic is the change in character, then I feel comfortable saying that it's a shift in how Superman/Clark goes about being who he is.

The solicits suggest the latter.
    The solicits are solicits. Again, look at the solicits for Superman Reborn. Jon is literally ripped from reality, Lois forgets who he is, and yet not a clear word from the solicitations--certainly no where near as clear as this. It's a misdirect. This I'm sure.

BANNED

Because he said he wouldn't.

That's not true. He likened his shift in status quo to Crisis, but there's nothing that indicates this is literal (ie change in continuity) and not just remarking on a shift in direction or format that's comparable to Crisis. The two statements have yet to contradict as far as I'm concerned. You're more than welcome to your own views though.
    His exact words, per the Forbes interview:

After Man of Steel's publication, Bendis will take over writing duties on the monthly titles Superman and Action Comics. The Superman monthly will relaunch with a new issue #1 on July 11, while Action Comics picks up with issue #1001 on July 25, and each will have a different approach and tone. While the main Superman title will be an adventure-driven book, Action Comics will delve into Clark Kent's daily life.

But when the two regular monthlies pick back up, things won't be the same in Superman' world. "The fallout of Man of Steel #6 is enormous," Bendis insists. "It's some of the biggest status quo changes to Superman literally since Crisis. So we'll be launching Superman with a brand new #1, and that's going to be very Superman-focused and big DC action stories. Action Comics will be launching with #1001, I'm very happy to say, and that will be focused more on Clark and Metropolis and the Daily Planet, and how the world of Superman effects the world of DC."
    I think you're stretching things quite a bit to read that and assume this has nothing to do with some kind of continuity alteration. I know solicits are designed to sell comics and I understand Bendis's salesmanship, but dropping COIE into a conversation isn't something done lightly. We can agree to disagree, of course. I admire your optimism and wish I had more of it. As it is, my Blue Lantern ring is almost at 0%.

His exact words, per the Forbes interview:

I think you're stretching things quite a bit to read that and assume this has nothing to do with some kind of continuity alteration. I know solicits are designed to sell comics and I understand Bendis's salesmanship, but dropping COIE into a conversation isn't something done lightly. We can agree to disagree, of course. I admire your optimism and wish I had more of it. As it is, my Blue Lantern ring is almost at 0%.
    I read and remember what he said perfectly fine, and I stand by what I said. You're welcome to your opinion.

Let's say you're right about time travel. It's a very tone-deaf decision given the last few years of Rebirth. With Doomsday Clock delayed and Johns hands-off, the DCU is now stuck in a bizarre New 52/pre-Flashpoint hybrid. We know that Manhattan split Superman in two, but not how that worked or why. We also saw the complete erasure of a series with major implications for the past, present, and future of the DCU (Convergence) and have been given no answers as to what really happened. The two "halves" of Superman are restored, along with the halves of Lois, and there was a second Clark Kent who was really Mxyzptlk. Action Comics 1000 seems like the perfect opportunity to get Superman and his mythos back to basics. Bring back the DP and the supporting cast, Lois and Clark as reporters, Superman no longer engaged in mysteries involving godlike beings messing with his life or his birth dad screwing with his life. Instead, we get MORE tinkering and convolution.
    I would agree unless its used within the confines of this storyline but ends up actually not changing anything. Something without that big a consequence like the story Jurgens just did. But, if it were used to change stuff, I'd agree. Even if it changed things more to my liking, I'd still agree. I always argued after Superman Reborn that it'd be stupid for Johns to make more continuity changes with Doomsday Clock because it was so close. I can't change face on that in this instance, because it'd be the same thing. Literally the only difference would be my likelihood of disliking Johns' changes way more. But the fact would remain that you'd have Sueprman Reborn then a year later, another major shift.

Long story short; if there's continuity changes of major consequence, I agree with you. Regardless what I may feel of said changes in regards to my preferences, two major changes in as many years would be bad management of the mythos. No way to sugar coat it.