Page 89 of 613 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189589 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 9194

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    -The arsonist with the ability to evade Superman's senses seems like it'll be a Clark thing to figure out. His introduction in the solicits also happens to be where the Planet first gets mentioned, so I feel pretty confident in that being the investigation issue.
    Oh, it's absolutely going to be a thing (and by absolutely I mean I have no idea) where Clark's powers don't help at all and Clark Kent will have to hunt the guy down the old fashioned way. Dude's going to be so low-brow he leaves no trace. So average he doesn't stand out in any way. Uses household chemicals so common they're impossible to trace. Has no workable pattern to his targets. What good are Clark's enhanced senses when there's an entire city's worth of background evidence clogging up the works and nothing about the killer stands out?

And you realize what that is right? A villain so average you don't see him? The reverse-Clark Kent. Now that's something we've never seen.

And as usual I agree with your other points.

With Lois and Jon, I expect Clark to know where they are. They'll be off training Jon while chasing a story. "Mom/son hangout time" Kent style. Lois gets to chase a story knowing she has a Super-safety net to catch her. Jon gets training from someone who is experienced and capable, but also has to fly on his own without a Robin-sized partner. Lois would pick a basic threat to take down so Jon's not in any more danger than a nightly patrol would bring him.

This dynamic lets Lois be a reporter again, without losing "mom" panel time. It gives Lois agency in the "damsel in distress" angle by giving her authority over the guy saving her. It shows off how badass Lois is by having her train the "next Superman." It puts Jon in a classic Superman narrative, not only freeing Clark up to do the big stuff but highlighting how Jon does the job differently/same as his dad. Pushing Clark's narrative forward while keeping a familiar dynamic active. And because Lois Lane being saved by Superboy all the time is just going to strain the secret identity thing, you have a reason for the Kents keeping this adventure quiet.

That's how I'd like to see this whole thing spun, anyway.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-21-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Very true, but I don't blame people for being a little paranoid, especially since apparently DiDio is back in the driving seat now and is spearheading this. The last time DiDio was in charge of Supes we got New Krypton, Grounded and New 52. Plus, we all know that when DC insists something is " not a reboot"...Most of the time it is to some degree ( New 52 and Rebirth).

Now, do I personally think DiDio and Bendis is going to erase his marriage Lois and Jon so soon after bringing them in? No I don't. The solicit feel like " click bait" to invoke the fans fears,( and a few fans greatest hopes)and get them to check out the book only to ultimately reinforce Lois and Jon as parts of Kal's life going forward. However I don't blame people for worrying. It's not necessarily paranoia when the past shows us it's not outside the realm of possibility that Dan Didio in charge with anything related to Superman has usually been a bad thing. In this case skepticism is practicality.

I for one am giving Bendis himself benefit of the doubt and holding him at his word , but I admit, the prospect of DiDio being the driving force of this new phase at DC worries me a little bit as far as Supes goes.
    I'll admit that I actually liked the 'New Krypton' story, though in retrospect there was only one way that story could have ended.

It occurs to me that I haven't actually given my opinion on what I personally think will happen. Well, as most look for cosmic related answers, I'm thinking Bendis might be going a bit more down to Earth (relatively speaking).

-As far as Lois and Jon goes in relation to this, I'm thinking nothing related to the plot happened to them. I'm actually thinking they might've gone on an adventure, just the two of them, and for once Clark is covering for them. That's why it's the Planet staff that asks about them. But I think the idea will be to move them aside so that MOS can squarely be about Clark/Superman stuff. Compare this solicit to say Superman Reborn. Those solicits were vague as carp even though something happens to Jon in the very first issue. For me, it's too up front to be anything but a misdirect. They are mentioned in basically every issue, so I'm assuming we'll be cutting to them often. Bendis has mentioned he's having a blast writing Lois and Jon, and I think that's because they'll be together through this mini. They may even be in a back up.

-Rogol Zaar has likely been looking for Superman since Krypton blew (thus fulfilling this "a threat from his earliest origins reemerges to destroy the Last Son of Krypton"). It specifies that he's been leading "a string of atrocities across the cosmos that have led him to the Fortress of Solitude." My guess is that Berndis will be using Superman's rep across the cosmos to serve as a trail for Zaar to follow (like a space Kraven the hunter), and the trophies from other worlds in the Fortress will be his ultimate beacon to find Superman. So it looks like Bendis might be more prominently reinstating Superman's galactic status. And given his love for Superman #400, I can see that.

-The arsonist with the ability to evade Superman's senses seems like it'll be a Clark thing to figure out. His introduction in the solicits also happens to be where the Planet first gets mentioned, so I feel pretty confident in that being the investigation issue.

My ultimate guess is that Man of Steel will function as a thesis for how Bendis' run will function. Zaar represents the Superman book. That's a big galactic foe for Superman to fight, and that lines up with what Bendis has described the book as. The arsonist being able to evade Superman and mess with the city is set up for Action Comics. That's the sort of story where I imagine we'll get the whole public opinion aspect that Bendis is so interested in. People wondering how effective Superman is if an arsonist is getting the better of him, and Clark having to step in. I imagine Zaar is going to end up blowing up the Fortress. Issue 3 says "and when he reaches the Fortress of Solitude, his actions will cut Superman to the core." Blowing up his dad's Fortress would likely do that. This leaves space for Bendis to do his version, and thus further solidify this as a new start.

I'm thinking the main idea will be to get into Clark's head, and sort of get how he balances all of these aspects of himself: the hero, alien, reporter, husband, father, and cousin. Bendis seems very interested in exploring how multifaceted Superman is as a person. He says as much during the Word Balloon interview where he says "Clark as a hero, son, husband, father, reporter, and more." This seems like the thesis on that idea.

That's my honest guess on what Man of Steel will be.
    I would love to see this happen. Especially exploring different sides of Superman's character.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    villain so average you don't see him? The reverse-Clark Kent. Now that's something we've never seen.
    That's a very fascinating villain, and I wholeheartedly hope Bendis goes for this!

Pushing Clark's narrative forward while keeping a familiar dynamic active.
    Thinking on this more, it might actually fall in line with what Bendis said a while ago when asked who he'd write at DC back when he was at Marvel. One of the books he said he'd like to write, along with a detective noir Plastic and "ball out" LOSH, he said he'd like to do "a very back to original basics" weekly shipping Superman book. Now obviously he can't go too back to basics after explaining that he won't be rebooting, but the idea of "original basics" doesn't only have to apply to continuity, does it? Couldn't it also apply to approach? The original approach being that Lois or Clark get a scoop, Lois gets into hot water, Superman shows up to save the day, and either Lois or Clark get the story.

What if he's doing basically that, but it's Lois and Jon? As you and Dispenser of Truth have pointed out, it's a classic brains and brawn team up, Lois gets to be the one on point, and you've got a comparatively weaker Superman in Superboy to allow for a more easily accessible sense of adversity for your Super character.

And, as you might've noticed, this is conveniently that weekly shipping he was looking before. Since the solicitations don't place Superman/Clark and Lois as being in the same area of the story, one can assume that he's not doing that back to basics style with Superman because Lois would be needed for that. I have to image that plans have changed since then because now he's doing a Clark/Planet book in Action, but they haven't changed too much since he still got that weekly. I'm thinking that current events, DC's own direction and status quo, and evolution as a writer have lead him to this more multifaceted Superman/Clark pitch, but he still likes him some early Siegel and Shuster, so that made its way into Lois and Jon's sub plot.

Ideally, if we can get a multifaceted Superman/Clark, Lois and Jon team up, Kara, space stuff, AND some good ol' Jimmy love then this may just end up being the most complete era of Superman in over a decade.

OOOOOOOr something happens to Lois and Jon in Action Comics 1000 during Bendis and Lee's story. But Bendis has said he's having a great time writing them, so either nothing will happen to them there, or if anything does they'll still have agency. Seems like a repackaged Superman Reborn at that point, though, so I doubt it.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yeah, it all (might) line-up with what Bendis has been saying in interviews, and whatever hints we can tease out of solicits (though those usually aren't worth trusting, IMO).

And if we're all right about this, then we are indeed looking at a Superman with all the trimmings; something we haven't seen in.....fifteen years?

And it does seem to fit Bendis' writing style. He enjoys writing large supporting casts and he's a Super-fan who enjoys the classic eras. He might not execute the ideas very well (time will tell, though I remain hopeful) but it does feel like something he'd do on a conceptual level.

Normally, I'd question whether DC would let something like this happen as they don't seem interested in long-term growth for Superman and prefer quick and easy cash grab stunts. But we have new editors, and while Bendis is the new guy in the office he's still Brian Bendis; one of (arguably the) biggest writer still working in the industry, and letting him handle Superman however he wants was possibly part of the agreement that got him to switch companies. Hell, they reportedly brought back the trunks just because Bendis asked, in a half-joking manner, if he could do it.

Holy crap. I'm actually, genuinely excited about what Bendis might be doing. Still concerned on a lot of levels (the specter of his X-Men does loom large), but DC Bendis might be the Bendis we've been missing since Ultimate Spidey/Daredevil, and the writer Superman needs right now.

Fingers crossed!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Edit: Nevermind. Found out that it wasn't from DC Nation #0
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-22-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Wait is that Ms. Gsptlsnz?

Edit: Nevermind. Found out that it wasn't from DC Nation #0
    great art regardless

I do not know what to think of this, I like some of Bendis writing but then other times his writing his bad. I guess him taking over so many books must mean he has big plans for Superman and he must be confident ....

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

A little more info on Man of Steel from Jason Fabok: https://www.cbr.com/wondercon-2018-d...ampaign=CBR-TW

Things kicked off with Jason Fabok, a question about his work with Brian Michael Bendis. “What’s been this experience been like working with Bendis now?”

“The tough part is that Man of Steel is a six issue series and each issue is drawn by someone else. We’re all trying to make sure we’re on the same page…My role is kind of unique. I’m telling a story that’s weaving through all six issues and then you’ll get to see it all kind of culminate into one big finish in the final issue,” Fabok answered.

BANNED

Here's full coverage of the Action Comics panel...nothing much from Bendis, but Lee does remark that he hopes Clark will still be with Lois in another eighty years. Fabook reckons the trunks will go away again.

https://www.newsarama.com/39193-wond...man-panel.html

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Here's full coverage of the Action Comics panel...nothing much from Bendis, but Lee does remark that he hopes Clark will still be with Lois in another eighty years. Fabook reckons the trunks will go away again.

https://www.newsarama.com/39193-wond...man-panel.html
    Lol. I was at that panel, Fabok was joking about the trunks thing.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

It looks like Bendis' story for AC#1000 is called "The Truth"

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    A little more info on Man of Steel from Jason Fabok: https://www.cbr.com/wondercon-2018-d...ampaign=CBR-TW

Things kicked off with Jason Fabok, a question about his work with Brian Michael Bendis. “What’s been this experience been like working with Bendis now?”

“The tough part is that Man of Steel is a six issue series and each issue is drawn by someone else. We’re all trying to make sure we’re on the same page…My role is kind of unique. I’m telling a story that’s weaving through all six issues and then you’ll get to see it all kind of culminate into one big finish in the final issue,” Fabok answered.
    So Fabok is drawing the present-day sections while the respective issue artists are handling the flashbacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Lol. I was at that panel, Fabok was joking about the trunks thing.
    He said that he expect Superman to lose them and Batman to get his back .
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It looks like Bendis' story for AC#1000 is called "The Truth"

"The Truth..." about the destruction of Krypton?

BANNED

From the video that played during the DC Publishers panel at Wondercon today

Bendis: In Action Comics#1000 we meet a new villain who is a real force of nature. We find out he can beat Superman. He is Superman's equal if not better. Superman has no idea who this person is or where he comes from, or how he's getting his ass beaten this badly down the streets of Metropolis. What this villain will bring to Superman's world is something I feel a lot of people will be able to relate to
    https://www.newsarama.com/39195-wond....OOF4iq32.uxfs
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-24-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Is it too late for Bendis to be inspired by Michael B. Killmonger?