Page 93 of 613 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193593 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 9194
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah, I was gonna say, this is basically a Free Pass card for literally every book at DC comics. spoilers:
    Funny how everyone was assuming Bendis would be the one to retcon or reboot, but Snyder come along and basically--in the most overt "yes, this is totally set up for stuff" sort of way that I smiled while reading--does it. So much is on the table now in terms of what writers can add to their books. It's all based on the subconscious of the League members, and if some writers catch on to that we could see some fascinating exploration of our League in their solo books.
    end of spoilers

So, yeah, wow. The new status quo in Man of Steel spinning out of this basically leave room for anything.
    spoilers:
    So you're saying if reality now bends to the subliminal desires of the DC heroes...does that remove free choice from everyone else?

I'm beginning to think Delores' phony spoilers may have been on to something
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Is DC really going to rewrite its continuity/reality every year now?

2016 - Rebirth
    2017 - Reborn
    2018 - Metal
    2019 - Doomsday Clock (?)

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Is DC really going to rewrite its continuity/reality every year now?

2016 - Rebirth
    2017 - Reborn
    2018 - Metal
    2019 - Doomsday Clock (?)
    Well to be fair, Rebirth was more of a direction change from New 52, bringing old Wally back and bringing back PreFlashpoint Supes as the main star of the Supes books. Reborn was about cleaning up the mess continuity wise that Flashpoint, Convergence,DC YOU and Rebirth left Superman's corner of the universe in.

Metal seems like a legit continuity changer though for the universe as a whole, but it's mostly sweeping the last remanents of the New 52 away and setting up new story directions for the JL franchise, Flash and Bendis Supes run. It's unclear if Doomsday Clock will actually result in any continuity changes, other than perhaps tying up Dr Manhattan possibly screwing around with things, and maybe spinning out new JSA and LOSH series.

In any case though, aside from perhaps Metal, none of these are complete rewrites of the continuity​ as a whole in the same way CRISIS was in 1986,IC in 2006 and for certain nothing compared​ to the New 52 in 2011.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 03-29-2018 at 06:54 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Every issue of man of steel is at least 22 pages, last issue by Fabok is 29 pages(still the same price as the others) https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...78524463411200

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Well to be fair, Rebirth was more of a direction change from New 52, bringing old Wally back and bringing back PreFlashpoint Supes as the main star of the Supes books. Reborn was about cleaning up the mess continuity wise that Flashpoint, Convergence,DC YOU and Rebirth left Superman's corner of the universe in.

Metal seems like a legit continuity changer though for the universe as a whole, but it's mostly sweeping the last remanents of the New 52 away and setting up new story directions for the JL franchise, Flash and Bendis Supes run. It's unclear if Doomsday Clock will actually result in any continuity changes, other than perhaps tying up Dr Manhattan possibly screwing around with things, and maybe spinning out new JSA and LOSH series.

In any case though, aside from perhaps Metal, none of these are complete rewrites of the continuity​ as a whole in the same way CRISIS was in 1986,IC in 2006 and for certain nothing compared​ to the New 52 in 2011.
    Early Rebirth has rewrites of continuity as well, changes of origins, and characters with different physical appearance (Etta Candy, Amanda Waller) without an in-story explanation.

I feel that DiDio & co. are no longer satisfied with just messing with Superman's continuity every couple of years, and they are expanding their approach to the rest of the DCU.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-29-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Eh, people have been screwing with continuity, or at least ignoring it, as long as the industry has existed. This is just.....louder.....than usual.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, people have been screwing with continuity, or at least ignoring it, as long as the industry has existed. This is just.....louder.....than usual.
    Maybe it's just a commercial strategy to make readers feel more involved in following the series to find out what is still canon and what is not.

Probably.

I'm sure it's a consideration at least.

I dunno if that's wise long-term business but it's a proven success at short-term gains. So, yknow, it fits DC's usual decisions pretty well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Regarding how Metal could have affected Bendis's run, spoilers:
    the end implies that the Justice League being involved with the recreation of the cosmos unwittingly altered some things based on their subconscious, which could easily play into the new threat.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Not really at all; he gets a big focus scene around the midpoint, but it involves fighting a ground-level aspect of the larger threat with help, and the victory is a Justice League victory where he's just part of the crowd. Superman gets less attention, but he does beat the Bat-Doomsday of negative Earth-1 - who killed his Superman effortlessly - with one punch.
    end of spoilers

I...don't believe the Michael Bay Transformers movies have ever gotten anything like positive buzz in any noticeable quantities, dude.
    By "buzz," I just mean that those movies had lots of fans who did indeed like them. I used to spend a lot of time on Transformers message boards and there's a large contingent of people who love them.

Probably.

I'm sure it's a consideration at least.

I dunno if that's wise long-term business but it's a proven success at short-term gains. So, yknow, it fits DC's usual decisions pretty well.
    It works pretty well with their core audience of comic-books nerds.

It definitely works with us, yeah. No argument there at all.

But I liken that to a politician catering exclusively to their loyal constituents without trying to reel in the independents and undecideds. It might get you an election if you're lucky, but it won't get you a career.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Marvel have allowed a shout out to DC from Bendis in next week's issue of Miles Morales: Spider-Man

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-239/

...Alas, Bendis opted to reference Batman and not Supes.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-30-2018 at 07:06 AM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Marvel have allowed a shout out to DC from Bendis in next week's issue of Miles Morales: Spider-Man

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-239/

...Alas, Bendis opted to reference Batman and not Supes.
    Spider-Man always did have more in common with Batman than Superman. The most Superman and Spider-Man shared are lighter personalities and boy scout morality.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

It definitely works with us, yeah. No argument there at all.

But I liken that to a politician catering exclusively to their loyal constituents without trying to reel in the independents and undecideds. It might get you an election if you're lucky, but it won't get you a career.
    Well, at least DC is creating other imprints for the independents and undecided.

Y'know, that is one of the things DC has been doing since the reboot that I absolutely support with no qualms at all. Say what you will about DC but I have seen them do more to reach new audiences than anyone (except Image, maybe) within the past seven-ish years. They started the same-day digital (though the industry basically moved lock-step with that one). They put out almost every kind of book you can imagine during the New52; from war stories to comedies to fantasy to horror to period pieces. They really tried, man. DCYOU was more of the same, but focused in a Batgirl-y direction. Rebirth was very non-experimental (mostly) but looks like it might start to experiment again. We've gotten imprint after imprint, from Young Animal to Sandman. Kid focused to mature readers only. A few incredible OGN's. DC isn't always pulling it off, but they are scrambling for those new audiences.

Marvel has largely just doubled-down on their successful stuff; copying the MCU and Star Wars. And Image......they do all kinds of wild, intelligent stuff. But I haven't seen them really stretch for new audiences lately the way DC has.

~ Black Panther.