Page 97 of 613 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197597 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 9194
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I know you're joking...But I was thinking about this the other day after the end of Metal and it's implications. I've been mulling over that and Bendis' comments that his status quo shift would both build off of what Jurgens and Tomasi did, but also be the biggest change in Superman since Crisis.

I'm wondering if indeed Superman's Kryptonian alien origins may actually be called into question.

Think about the last two years of stories. He spent the first year's worth of stories trying to fit into a new world that from his perspective he was a strange visitor. After he was " fixed" he was still wrestling with identity issues somewhat with the Revelation that the mysterious Mr. Oz was actually his long thought dead father Jor-El. Add in the fact he is now also a father himself now,the father of a half human half Kryptonian hybrid whose powers emerging has been a struggle at times.

What if, subconsciously at the back of his mind, while he relishes being Superman and all that means, he wishes that wasn't tied up in an alien heritage that as of late has caused him distress and had inadvertently robbed the chance for his son to live a normal life?

What if the conceit of Bendis' run is actually an update of that 70's story , but instead of handwaving it away, they embrace what something like that would mean for Superman? What if because of what happened in Metal,KRYPTON still existed, but Superman/ Clark Kent learns that his origins may not actually originate there? What if indeed Superman discovers he may not be an alien after all?

That could explain why Jon is MIA in other books initially. He doesn't die or disappear , but because of the cosmic shift at the end of Metal he is without powers, because he's no longer half Kryptonian. It also would explain Bendis' comments about redefining Clark Kent and his life as a reporter and the increased focus on that aspect. That would also explain Supergirl's absence from her own title as if Clark's origins are altered it would also affect Kara. What does that Revelation do to someone who has strong memories of a planet she may not even be from? What if she's Kryptonian but he isn't? What does that do to their relationship?

Of course part of the mystery of it all would potentially be if Supes isn't Kryptonian or Alien, why did he arrive in a rocket ship...And why does he have powers of a Kryptonian? That could account for Lois' role in all of this? Perhaps she has a quest to find out the truth of Clark's existence, and why her son had powers, and she remembers her son having powers, but now he doesn't.Perhaps she discovers how this all ties to what happened in Metal?

This is just me spitballing and speculating, but the cover blerb to the DC Nation special, all of Bendis' talking about status quo changes and big bombshells being dropped that changes Superman status in the DCU and it all building off of the last two years of stories , and the implications of Metal, makes me wonder if this type of story is a possibility.

And of course, once Bendis' leaves, it's fairly easy to retcon it all back to " Kal-El did indeed come from KRYPTON" with some sort of continuity clean up in a few years.

At first I kind of shrugged this off thinking "well, there'd just be no way even Bendis would do that." But then I remembered Siegel and Shuster literally started Superman out as not being an alien, but rather being from so far in the future that he may as well be an alien. Mark Millar (at the recommendation of Grant Morrison) put this in as Red Son's twist time loop ending.

If subconsciously Clark has been dealing with all the complications of being a Kryptonian (Kara also going through major complication too), and during the rebuilding of the DCU he has to relive both the death of Krypton and Oz being a thing, who's to say he doesn't have a moment of weakness and say "maybe if I were human this would all be simpler?" It's a halfhearted thought, but the DCU is in such a sate and Superman is in such a position of power that it goes through.

And thinking on it more, this would fit with Bendis' more socially conscious writing style. The idea of an immigrant, person of a specific race, sexual orientation, or religion having a moment where they thing "wouldn't it just be simpler to not be what I am right now?" That's powerful and relatable stuff.

Not sure if Jon is powerless though given he's still good enough friends with Damian to rock out with him at the end of Metal post-rebuilt DCU.

In any case, this would check all the "bigger change than crisis" boxes in a more direct way, it would be steeped in reverence for Siegel and Shuster, and would allow for a character arc and unfolding mystery.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well.....PR is just one facet of business. That doesn't mean he's bad at the other things. In fact, depending on what his target demographic is like, he might even be good at his PR, if he appeals to a.....certain segment.....of the population.

Or maybe he's just a bigoted jackass who talked his way into a bank loan. Small business loans aren't the hardest things to get, especially if you run with a really low overhead. I've known a lot of people who managed to open their own business with virtually no actual business knowledge (and almost all of them eventually fail because accounting is harder than it looks). Perhaps this guy is like that and is steadily sliding towards chapter 11. I don't know what his credentials are.
    I've actually read comments where his blog actually can be cause for concern as that comment indicates his prejudice, labels, and swears actually chased that person away from buying anything from him really. I know I won't be buying anything from him. Well here's his plan for rebuilding DC Comics it does mention some of his successes with his imprint. He has claimed to have a business degree I believe. But he has been unemployed in the past and even spoke about his situation on his blog and channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJM6YUfK-s

http://shawnsjames.blogspot.my/2013/...dc-comics.html
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

new doc shaner interview talks about his man of steel issue(he is drawing issue 2). Looks like he will get scenes with the new daily planet staff members. Also he keeps talking about Clark being in a weird place this issue, very ominous wording.

CBR: So we obviously had to start with the pressing matters at hand here: Man of Steel. What can you tell me about your issue?

Doc Shanner: I don’t think it’s too much to say that my issue focuses a lot on Clark, you know, as Clark — what his Clark Kent life is like. I have a lot at the Daily Planet, and I think Brian [Bendis] said something about Green Lantern showing up? He’s in my issue. So I get to draw Green Lantern again! Hopefully that’s all OK to say, right? [Laughs] I hope so at least.

So if you’re working with Clark Kent as just a normal guy, can you speak to how develop him on the page as, you know, just a regular guy? How do you represent who Clark is in the story visually?

We find Clark in kind of a weird spot that I’m not sure he’s entirely comfortable with — he’s not really in the “normal” Clark Kent space. It’s certainly the Daily Planet just as it is — it’s normal — but Clark’s in a weird place in this issue so it’s hard to say without overstepping what I’m allowed to share.

Well, maybe in a less broad sense, what sort of things would you find on your Clark Kent’s desk?

Oh man, that’s a good question. Pictures of the family, of course. Lots of Smallville stuff, lots of little knick-knacks. He’s a little corny, definitely. [Laughs]

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Well, now I'm curious. I wonder what this weird place is that Clark is finding himself in.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

The claim that this is "bigger than Crisis" could also just be hyperbolic too. I mean, in every interview Scott Snyder ever gives he says that his current story is the "one story I would tell if I could only tell one story, and it'll change everything forever and ever!" Hell, I think that kind of over-selling is half the reason fans here started to hate the guy.

It could be something as simple as the Kents coming back to life.

Or Clark might leave the planet on some big epic quest.

Or Krypton isn't actually destroyed.

Or Kara isn't actually his cousin.

Or someone is gay (likely Jimmy).

Or Lois is knocked up again.

Or Conner returns from limbo.

Or we learn that Clark actually landed in 1938 and had lived an entire life we know nothing about, and all those flashbacks with the Kents *really* took place before WWII.

Or Clark himself, through some weird time travel nonsense, destroyed Krypton fighting Solaris or Brainiac or G'Nort.

Could be anything, but the odds of it really being bigger than Crisis seem awfully slim to me.
    The 1938 one is a great idea. Every time the era changed someone wiped his memory, but now he has a family. And that causes problems.

And I'd love it if the G'Nort became a Superman villain. Like, his Shocker.

BANNED

Landing in 1938 would be awesome

New krypton part 2

Kon being back,after he was erased from time for getting to close to the truth about Manhattan

I don't see any new krypton exploding ideas because,it's not a huge deal,UNLESS it brings big problems now,and no not just a saying a new guy blew it up,not brainiac,or neglect,and we have had beings who want to kill kryptonians (Doomsday for onel,and others who want to change supes into what they see a kryptonian being (eradicator),so I'm hoping he is going in a new direction.
    Last edited by stephens2177; 04-03-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Just an FYI Bendis solicits lie all the time. I remember when he brought Ultimate Peter Parker back and the solicits hyped a Miles-Peter fight. Never happened, Peter one hit KO’d Miles, took his stuff back, then they fought Green Goblin.
    The solicits have less to do with the writer and more to do with editorial and the publishing side of things. Bendis isn't the only person at Marvel who had fudged up solicits if I recall. The main problem was that he'd relay his plans/plot to and as we know solicits are published months in advance. Well, by the time the issue came out, he had already changed his plans for that given issue. This, to me, was the MAIN issue with Bendis at Marvel. He was sorta given carte blanche to to what ever he wanted and editorial was very VERY lax with him. I imagine it will be different at DC since these aren't his best buddies and people he came up with in the industry overseeing his work.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    The solicits have less to do with the writer and more to do with editorial and the publishing side of things. Bendis isn't the only person at Marvel who had fudged up solicits if I recall. The main problem was that he'd relay his plans/plot to and as we know solicits are published months in advance. Well, by the time the issue came out, he had already changed his plans for that given issue. This, to me, was the MAIN issue with Bendis at Marvel. He was sorta given carte blanche to to what ever he wanted and editorial was very VERY lax with him. I imagine it will be different at DC since these aren't his best buddies and people he came up with in the industry overseeing his work.
    I doubt it will be that different. From interviews it seems Dido is giving him a lot of leeway with what he writes. But I also doubt it will be like how some people imagine it, with him killing Lois and Jon. If anything I think his “mega-change” is going to underwhelm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I've actually read comments where his blog actually can be cause for concern as that comment indicates his prejudice, labels, and swears actually chased that person away from buying anything from him really. I know I won't be buying anything from him. Well here's his plan for rebuilding DC Comics it does mention some of his successes with his imprint. He has claimed to have a business degree I believe. But he has been unemployed in the past and even spoke about his situation on his blog and channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJM6YUfK-s

http://shawnsjames.blogspot.my/2013/...dc-comics.html
    Well, I just checked out the blog you linked, and some of his ideas run parallel to my own, and a few of his ideas are ones I hadn't considered; mainly the publishing down-cycle when people aren't buying new books. People actually *stop* buying new books during part of the year? What is wrong with them? And some of his ideas I doubt would work (where is he gonna get the revenue to pay creators a bonus for high sales? How does that benefit the poor guy stuck writing a title that can't break out of the mid-tiers no matter what the creators do?)

Still, it was a far more level-headed assessment than I had expected, given how you've described the man. But ultimately, if his personal conduct with his blog has turned potential customers away I'd be very hesitant about the guy. I mean, we see plenty of that in the professional world already, and it's a serious problem that needs to be stopped, not rewarded. I don't really care what a professional's personal politics or opinions are, but they need to figure out where it's okay to air that, and where it's not. Your workplace isn't it. Ever.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I know you're joking...But I was thinking about this the other day after the end of Metal and it's implications. I've been mulling over that and Bendis' comments that his status quo shift would both build off of what Jurgens and Tomasi did, but also be the biggest change in Superman since Crisis.

I'm wondering if indeed Superman's Kryptonian alien origins may actually be called into question.

Think about the last two years of stories. He spent the first year's worth of stories trying to fit into a new world that from his perspective he was a strange visitor. After he was " fixed" he was still wrestling with identity issues somewhat with the Revelation that the mysterious Mr. Oz was actually his long thought dead father Jor-El. Add in the fact he is now also a father himself now,the father of a half human half Kryptonian hybrid whose powers emerging has been a struggle at times.

What if, subconsciously at the back of his mind, while he relishes being Superman and all that means, he wishes that wasn't tied up in an alien heritage that as of late has caused him distress and had inadvertently robbed the chance for his son to live a normal life?

What if the conceit of Bendis' run is actually an update of that 70's story , but instead of handwaving it away, they embrace what something like that would mean for Superman? What if because of what happened in Metal,KRYPTON still existed, but Superman/ Clark Kent learns that his origins may not actually originate there? What if indeed Superman discovers he may not be an alien after all?

That could explain why Jon is MIA in other books initially. He doesn't die or disappear , but because of the cosmic shift at the end of Metal he is without powers, because he's no longer half Kryptonian. It also would explain Bendis' comments about redefining Clark Kent and his life as a reporter and the increased focus on that aspect. That would also explain Supergirl's absence from her own title as if Clark's origins are altered it would also affect Kara. What does that Revelation do to someone who has strong memories of a planet she may not even be from? What if she's Kryptonian but he isn't? What does that do to their relationship?

Of course part of the mystery of it all would potentially be if Supes isn't Kryptonian or Alien, why did he arrive in a rocket ship...And why does he have powers of a Kryptonian? That could account for Lois' role in all of this? Perhaps she has a quest to find out the truth of Clark's existence, and why her son had powers, and she remembers her son having powers, but now he doesn't.Perhaps she discovers how this all ties to what happened in Metal?

This is just me spitballing and speculating, but the cover blerb to the DC Nation special, all of Bendis' talking about status quo changes and big bombshells being dropped that changes Superman status in the DCU and it all building off of the last two years of stories , and the implications of Metal, makes me wonder if this type of story is a possibility.

And of course, once Bendis' leaves, it's fairly easy to retcon it all back to " Kal-El did indeed come from KRYPTON" with some sort of continuity clean up in a few years.
    An intriguing idea, but I grow weary of this argument seen frequently in this forum: "it can always be undone later." Why do it at all, then? Why compromise the unities of a character for the sake of shock and "bold new directions!" instead of simply telling new stories based on and in the core elements of a character? I also feel that it's time to stop manipulating Superman's origins in any way and that no story can justify the continued damage such changes bring. Enough is enough. I wouldn't mind your ideas in an Elseworlds/Multiverse story, but not the main continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    spoilers:
    Superman is secretly gay.
    end of spoilers
    You heard here first.
    A ridiculous idea, which doesn't mean it's not something DC would do. That said, I'm almost certain that Bendis will try to do this with Jimmy Olsen and that it will backfire for him and DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    That said, I'm almost certain that Bendis will try to do this with Jimmy Olsen and that it will backfire for him and DC.
    I don't think anyone would really mind or be up in arms if Jimmy is reveled to be bi or homosexual. Outside the usual REEEEEEEE crowd.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    I don't think anyone would really mind or be up in arms if Jimmy is reveled to be bi or homosexual. Outside the usual REEEEEEEE crowd.
    Nah. I mean, we all sort of know already don't we?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Only situations where I consider such a thing a problem would be if it upset already established and/or iconic relationships. That really wouldn't happen with Jimmy. Yeah, there's a history with Lucy there but that hasn't been a thing for a really long time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Outside of his encounters with Lucy in various continuities and his mega crush on Cat, he also dated Obsession and Misa, and they factored heavily into ongoing stories from the era where Jurgens was most prominent. Who knows how much Bendis really picked his brain, though.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Nah. I mean, we all sort of know already don't we?
    Jimmy is a crossdresser.