Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Incredible Member

I'd be happy with a flashback series set in the time of the last Dickbats era, but I don't like people flip flopping between identities too much.

The Grant Morrison Batman and Robin with Dick as bats is one of my favorite Batman runs ever! I would love to see Dick take the mantle of Batman again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its not something I need to see again.

Dick Grayson is his own man. And I think it often gets ignored just how rare, and nearly impossible, his journey is in comics. How many sidekicks/legacies actually manage to break away from their original role and establish themselves as their own successful characters with their own names and stand on their own?

No one else from Dick's generation has managed that. Wally made himself popular but had to take Barry's name and costume to do it. Roy almost got out from Ollie's shadow, but between the Red Arrow name and the color-blind Ollie costume DC keeps pushing him back into, he hasn't managed it. Donna hasn't managed any of it on any level. I suppose we can say that Power Girl has managed to break away from Clark's shadow, but her popularity is questionable (I love her, but she's not on Nightwing's level).

Dick Grayson is Nightwing. Making him take over for Bruce feels like him stepping into another person's life, and I think it's ill fitted for him. Batman is dark, and edgy, and driven by vengeance.....and while Dick has a little of all of that in him, he's not Bruce. He's not The Batman. He's happy.

I don't mind Dick taking over the role temporarily every now and then when Bruce is unable to do his job. That's fine. But Dick has built a life for himself, with his own name. DC needs to keep that trajectory going and make Nightwing a bigger star, not try to force Dick into a mantle that doesn't fit him.

And besides, DC replace Bruce? They'd rather sell off every other property they own than write off Bruce Wayne. It'll never happen. And it never should.
    Dick was *the* sidekick. That's the difference between him and Wally, Donna, Roy, Garth, etc. He was the one that was shown growing up, and DC put in the effort of aging him in the 70s/80s. He had a number of solo stories, not sure if any of the others did. He graduated into Nightwing, then graduated into Batman. At least, temporarily.