Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Rogues Galleries That Need a Revamp

Which Marvel rogues galleries do you think need a revamp?

I think Thor could use more mythology based villains like Angrboda, Helblindi, and Bıleistr. I know the first made her only appearance in the 60's but I wonder why no one has yet to turn her into a proper villain. I mean think of the about the potential she could bring as a Thor villain I could see her being Loki's on and off again squeeze. She would also be someone who although is evil she still would have a strong love for her family and close ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helblindi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BDleistr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angrboda

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    I think Thor could use more mythology based villains like Angrboda, Helblindi, and Bıleistr. I know the first made her only appearance in the 60's but I wonder why no one has yet to turn her into a proper villain. I mean think of the about the potential she could bring as a Thor villain I could see her being Loki's on and off again squeeze. She would also be someone who although is evil she still would have a strong love for her family and close ones.

That's an interesting idea. I think most of the rogues galleries besides Spider-Man and the X-Men, need a revamp.

Matt Fracation may have given many of the Iron Man villains upgraded gimmicks, but I don't think they were made into more interesting characters in the process.

Some villains have been revamped in Daredevil's rogues gallery, but I don't think there has been a top to bottom revamp that gives DD his own well realized rogues gallery with a wide array of interesting villains. Some longevity would be nice, Ed Brubaker revamped Mr. Fear somewhat 5 years ago, but he really has not been used in Daredevil since.

I also think most of the FF rogues besides Doom and Galactus have not gotten some needed updating and character development. Wizard had that mental breakdown that was somewhat interesting, but I'm not sure what caused that and other writers seemed to ignore. I like Doom, but sometimes he steals the spotlight from other characters and a lot of the other FF rogues need a fresh take, rather then just the same old stories with them.

With stories like this going on for years it sometimes hard to be original and fresh on what to do with one's rogue gallery. Although I think for Thor's rogue gallery I think there needs to be more focus on the mythology based villains. I would also like more focus on Fenris and the Midgard Serpent because Hela seems to hog the spotlight.

Astonishing Member

With stories like this going on for years it sometimes hard to be original and fresh on what to do with one's rogue gallery. Although I think for Thor's rogue gallery I think there needs to be more focus on the mythology based villains. I would also like more focus on Fenris and the Midgard Serpent because Hela seems to hog the spotlight.
    I disagree, I think a lot of villains get stuck in rather stuck in predictable patterns. where it seems like they are doing the same old thing, over and over again. A way to get around that, is to give them new things to do, give them a different angle, have them attack the hero in a different way explore their back story, have them interact with characters they never have before, I think a lot of villains could be way more interesting with a little outside the box thinking.

DC has done a good job at revamping some of their villains over the last decade, I think Marvel could do the same.

Hopefully they can be explored in a way that won't be out of character for the villain or contradictory to previous held information about them.

Astonishing Member

Hopefully they can be explored in a way that won't be out of character for the villain or contradictory to previous held information about them.
    Well personally I don't mind retconning some of the villains to give them more interesting back stories and flesh out characterization.

When you think about, Claremont retconned Magneto to give him more developed personality, when in the 60s, he was just a one note bad guy. That worked well, retconning villains doesn't always work, but I would mind the writers taking some risks with these villains, retconning villains is often less controversial then retconning heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Well personally I don't mind retconning some of the villains to give them more interesting back stories and flesh out characterization.

When you think about, Claremont retconned Magneto to give him more developed personality, when in the 60s, he was just a one note bad guy. That worked well, retconning villains doesn't always work, but I would mind the writers taking some risks with these villains, retconning villains is often less controversial then retconning heroes.
    Well, then again tropes are not always bad. I mean if it gives a villain a much deeper personality and background then I am all for a retcon.

Daredevil, Luke Cage

BANNED

i want Fraction to give Ant-Man a rogues gallery.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah. Ant-Man needs some.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I basically just want Fenrir to be like his actual mythology self again. Not some werewolf-ish creature but a giant wolf with giant jaws and not much brains. He could be a strong physical challenge
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Ultimate Member

The Serpent Society used to be awesome, with a mix of 'jobbers' and some breakouts. It's got a mix of mutants (Black Racer, Rock Python, Puff Adder, Asp, Slither), cyborgs (Rattler, Bushmaster, Anaconda), random superhumans (Cobra, Black Mamba) and talented normal folk and gadget users (Diamondback, Coachwhip, Fer de Lance, Sidewinder), opening them up to a large range of storytelling options. (For instance, heroic mutants have to deal with Sinister and Sentinels or Purifiers, etc. all the time. What sort of spectacularly violent and over the top response would a Sentinel attack on mutant Society members draw from their team of villainous co-workers?) What sort of new blood could join the Society? An Atlantean powered armor wearer with a sea snake motif? A Hand jonin specializing in snake venoms? A Deviant with snake-like features? A serpentine New Man who drifted away from Wundagore? A pre-existing snake/reptile themed mutant like a resurrected Scaleface? A Lemurian serpent-folk Set-worshipping sorceress?

Magneto's Acolytes were more limited, being entirely mutants, but still had tons of great characters, including Frenzy and Unuscione, Milan and Scanner. Getting out from under the terriblybadnogood leadership of people ranging from Magneto to Cortez to Exodus (an escalating scale of crazyflakes!), the former 'Acolytes' could have a long way to go to find themselves, and figure out what's best for them, and not the charismatic whackjob mutant messiah of the week.

Tons of interesting Inhuman villains exist, ranging from Maximus' original 'minions' to Maelstrom's 'minions' to Apocalypse's 'Dark Riders.' Have them retreat to the Savage Land, seize control of the machines Magneto used to empower his 'Savage Land Mutates,' and make a dark Attilan of their own, safely tucked away from the polluted atmosphere of Earth, under the Savage Land dome (perhaps also triggering leftover machines to *expand* the Savage Land, which was only the test case, so that automated processes cause an entire new 'hex' of territory north of the Savage Land to be developed, doubling the size of the current Savage Land!). Silly little 'Falcona' with the power to communicate with raptors (hawks, eagles, etc.) becomes the Brutal Inhuman Queen of this Savage World, as she discovers that the brains of the 'raptors' of the Savage Land are as easy for her to control. (And these 'raptors' range from cute little velociraptors to scary deinonychus to pants-wettingly-terrifying tyrannosaurs...) Individuals like Seeker (who keeps mysteriously coming back from being dead, because he's not a real person, but a specialized 'seeker-unit' grown off from a sessile Inhuman back at the city, and sent off on specialized missions, to be replaced if he gets 'killed') and Hard Drive and Phobus (representing three different Inhuman 'rogue' groups) could be sent out from the Savage World to recruit new Inhumans to join her growing kingdom.

Fantastic Member

Agreed! I would like to see Thor deal with threats from Norse Mythology. I don't mind him fighting Aliens or enhanced humans every so often, but there's tons of Norse myths and legends I would like to see adapted to Marvel. In addition to the three above, I would like to see the Beserkergang. http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker I see them as an ancient version of The Wrecking Crew only with ten times the strength and manpower backed by animalistic fury!

Another menace that would be good are Lindworms or Wyvern. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindworm

I'd like to see Black Panther's Rogues Gallery get revamped. He has a huge Rogue's Gallery, but I'd like to see them get used the way Batman's Rogues get used.