Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Batman is a far better book than Detective. King has talent for writing.

Batman.

BANNED

Batman White Knight= real Batman
    Creature of the Night= real Detective
    Shadow/Batman= Batman and Robin

Both main books are just a disappointment despite starting with a lot of promise. I would recommend those other books over Batman and Detective Comics.

BANNED

By several you mean just 3 right?

He had a prominent role in I am Gotham leading up to Night of the Monster Men
    Vanished in I am Suicide
    Showed up briefly in I am Bane
    Vanished for Rooftops, Button, WOJAR, the engagement and Swamp Thing issues
    Showed up briefly for Rules of Engagement
    No presence in Super friends and the one shot with the kid villain
    No indication of him being in any upcoming issues
    Wasn't in the Elmer Fudd one shot or the short story from the first anuual
    Background character for one panel in the second annual.

BANNED

King's Batman is sometimes great, sometimes mediocre, and sometimes awful.

Tynion's 'Tec is consistently awful. It's some of the most boring, schlocky, and derivative Batman writing I've read in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Personal preference is tough, too. I'm so keen on stories about Batman and Catwoman being partners. But the other book, you know, has cousin-intrigue with Kate, has Steph and Cass, has Tim Drake, has Luke Fox. I'm more ambivalent about Jean-Paul to be sure, in spite of some solid stories. And the stuff with The Colony has been pretty cool conceptually and executionally.
    I recall saying this to you before, but I think you articulated my own opinion better than I did, again. 'Tec's great for all those reasons (and more!).
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I've been enjoying both and find them to be distinctly different from each other, so it's hard to compare

Detective has been a great team book, with Batman having the spotlight in his own book

I've actually been trying to cut back on superhero books on my account at the local shop and I can't bring myself to axe either of these titles

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Starmie View Post
    I've been enjoying both and find them to be distinctly different from each other, so it's hard to compare

Detective has been a great team book, with Batman having the spotlight in his own book

I've actually been trying to cut back on superhero books on my account at the local shop and I can't bring myself to axe either of these titles
    Yeah I feel the same. I think that I'm really enjoying the team aspect of Detective which makes me more excited to grab the newest issues of Detective than Batman these days.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    King's Batman is sometimes great, sometimes mediocre, and sometimes awful.

Tynion's 'Tec is consistently awful. It's some of the most boring, schlocky, and derivative Batman writing I've read in a long time.
    I gotta agree with this.

Though on King, even when I'm initially maybe underwhelmed by a story, I'll return to it (maybe in trade) and like it more. I think King's big problem is decompression, it seems like he was two or three issues of story but always makes a 5 or 6 issue arc out of it. When he aims for a one-shot, he can amaze.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Though on King, even when I'm initially maybe underwhelmed by a story, I'll return to it (maybe in trade) and like it more. I think King's big problem is decompression, it seems like he was two or three issues of story but always makes a 5 or 6 issue arc out of it.
    Thats definitely one problem, the whole Superfrieds Arc felt like a giant filler. That sould have been a one shot or, at best one issue for the Superman story and one for Wonder Woman, but not 4.

Incredible Member

Batman, by far. Tom King has brought the freshest ideas to the character since Grant Morrison.

Detective is good too.

Put me in as liking both books, on an issue by issue basis, sometimes page after page.

King to me is unpredictable, and the art has been awesome. So I stick with it.

Tec I really like most of the characters and Tyrion has gotten better since his earlier days, how can he not? He was very poor the first half.

I wouldn’t mind if both books got new teams, but it looks like the majority like Kings run, so that’s not happening anytime soon, unfortunately. There’s nothing innovative with what King is doing, so......I’ll love the art.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Batman is a far better book than Detective. King has talent for writing.
    Agreed. King captures the character really well and I've liked seeing how Bruce has grown in King's run. Detective has been good, though, especially with
    "The Fall of the Batmen" arc.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Incredible Member

Detective. I had to drop Batman because it's just unreadable. King is the most overhyped writer in comics.

After many years of buying Tec, and the odd TPB from the other titles I have now swapped to Batman. Batman is more consistent and hasn't jumped the shark as much as Tec. The whole Batman universe(s) suffer from the fact that if Gotham was so bad everyone would move out, and if Batman was really like that he'd be on anti-depressants. But Tec was worse. I picked up a few Batman issues and couldn't believe the difference. Remains to be seen if its as formulaic as Tec. Not sure about Wonder Woman either.