Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    But...that's not true Jean!?

Hate isn't 'outside'.

Ask Kurt about that. No seriously, ask Nightcrawler. Ask him if he's afraid...ask him about how he feels about himself...about making jokes about his hand like it's no big deal...and totally understandable that a child would be repulsed and afraid of his open gesture...ask Kurt where hate resides?

Damn
    Are you really comparing internalized prejudice and/or a child being scared to a hate group literally trying to kill people? C'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Are you really comparing internalized prejudice and/or a child being scared to a hate group literally trying to kill people? C'mon.
    Really? No, that's not what I'm doing Wiccan. Or not what I'm intending to do. I'm saying that it's NOT TRUE that hate is simply an external reality but that it is also a response to that reality that is very much internalized and that telling somebody they are SAFE when they might not be is shaming and destructive. Just as damaging as Xavier handing Kurt an image inducer to 'protect' himself with.
    Last edited by sungila; 02-04-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Astonishing Member

Really? No, that's not what I'm doing Wiccan. Or not what I'm intending to do. I'm saying that it's NOT TRUE that hate is simply an external reality but that it is also a response to that reality that is very much internalized and that telling somebody they are SAFE when they might not be is shaming and destructive. Just as damaging as Xavier handing Kurt an image inducer to 'protect' himself with.
    ....What? I think you're looking at this a little bit too deeply into this. Jean is merely comforting a young girl who literally just had a hate mob run her out of her house in the middle of the night and also got shot at by her own mother.

I see where you're coming from, but you're not seeing it from a practical pov. The "you're safe" is a separate sentence. The way Jean says "the hate" pretty much shows that she means that hate that she just experienced. It's like she was saying "you're safe, the...nuclear bomb can't reach you here" or something. She was literally on a life death situation, and what was endangering her life is the hate from those people.

I do think though that even from a deeper pov it's not exactly wrong. Kurt's internalized hate doesn't extend to that girl. What he hates it's the way he looks, not mutants in general. I guess a considerable comparison is someone having internalized racism against their own race but not others, instead of just hating everything non-white. They're still on a safe place separate from the more toxic situation out there, even if it's probably not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    ....What? I think you're looking at this a little bit too deeply into this. Jean is merely comforting a young girl who literally just had a hate mob run her out of her house in the middle of the night and also got shot at by her own mother.
    Given the very same circumstances and this limited previewed scenario , Loke13, I have an entirely different response. For me this is a crucial moment in this child's life that has been shown and told before and as in the case of Nightcrawler it matters a great deal not just that this child is protected from physical threat but protected from the emotional threats that are not so easily escaped and can be made worse by the very nature of this moment being so traumatic.

Trauma blurs distinctions of safe/not safe and there is no possible way that this child should be compelled to feel that this is any version of 'safe'. Safe is for the child to define, when the child is and shouldn't the heroes in this case be concerned about protecting that right? Isn't sanctuary space without demands or definitions? It is safety by being safe, not by saying what a person is meant to feel in order to be there.

BUT, of course, I could very well be jumping ahead of things that are far from fully developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I see where you're coming from, but you're not seeing it from a practical pov. The "you're safe" is a separate sentence. The way Jean says "the hate" pretty much shows that she means that hate that she just experienced. It's like she was saying "you're safe, the...nuclear bomb can't reach you here" or something. She was literally on a life death situation, and what was endangering her life is the hate from those people.

I do think though that even from a deeper pov it's not exactly wrong. Kurt's internalized hate doesn't extend to that girl. What he hates it's the way he looks, not mutants in general. I guess a considerable comparison is someone having internalized racism against their own race but not others, instead of just hating everything non-white. They're still on a safe place separate from the more toxic situation out there, even if it's probably not perfect.
    I understand you Wiccan. Yes, I'm responding from an immediate emotional place that is entirely as limited as a preview but that said I do feel as I stated above that THIS MOMENT is after the bomb has already gone off. Nuclear isn't such a bad word for it, her own mother shooting at her and Jean shielding her that's explosive and I don't know how a 'child' survives that.

The teleport alone is physically displacing and sickening, and that she wakes up into all this only to arrive under the ocean! But yes, she physically survived and maybe Jean protected more than is shown in the panels and maybe there are things we can't protect and maybe they're not meant to be...agh. Now I'm thinking too much when before I was mostly feeling too much.

There is a possibility that this preview is meant, for me at least, to respond this way, so that I am interested and involved and so that it matters to me what happens?

Hate and Safe and Place are powerful words and when they're all mixed up and confused by a big bang...well, beginning a book this way, for me, elicits a lot.

Thank you. It's a good reminder, Wiccan, to step back and appreciate that this is the beginning of the first issue of a new title and that it begins right here at the very heart of the core essence of what is the X-Men since Claremont.

There are certain triggers for me I guess. Especially at this point of genesis. I've read X-Books a long time and seen so many characters stuck in this place for decades because of how hard it is to challenge the mode and means for how the X-Men provide sanctuary to mutants and especially children.

My reaction is true to me entirely, but as you say Wiccan...it's probably not perfect (in some ways my reaction is guilty of the very bad form I accuse Jean of), which is typical of criticism..I don't know?

Thanks again for offering this valuable perspective. I have no idea what a practical POV is Wiccan. I don't have one. But you make a good case for the reality and usefulness of one in framing this story.
    Last edited by sungila; 02-04-2018 at 05:44 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I think Trinary, Gentle, and Gambit’s headshots will be added to the recap page once we see how they joined. So Trinary and Gentle in #2 or #3 and Gambit in #3 or #4.

As for the preview itself: fucking finally! I’ve been digging Astonishing X-Men and Blue is good, but this looks to be on another level. An interesting cast that isn’t a rehash, a story that plays to the X-Men’s strengths, and Nightcrawler does something cool (the teleport to Searebro) and is written well!
    More likely they'll probably be forgotten for a while. Hell, Bloodstorm still doesn't have his shot on Blue.

I'm kinda ehh about Nightcrawler switching from Gold to Red; Whatever was going on between him and Prestige is one of the better things in a book I'm really considering dropping at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    I'm kinda ehh about Nightcrawler switching from Gold to Red; Whatever was going on between him and Prestige is one of the better things in a book I'm really considering dropping at the moment.
    He's still gonna be on Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    With him moving over to Red I was hoping that would be the end of his Rachel romance. It always felt off to me and didn't fit.

BANNED

Apparently, X-Men Red won't affect the other books, at least not initially:

https://twitter.com/MarkPaniccia/sta...77564028280832

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    Apparently, X-Men Red won't affect the other books, at least not initially:

https://twitter.com/MarkPaniccia/sta...77564028280832
    I wouldnt expect it too, especially not Blue which is in the middle of a crossover

BANNED

I'm presuming that XMR is going to be set "furthest" along in the timeline while the other books continue to play catchup, but who knows.

I REALLY wish they'd bring back the Editor's Notes that establish the timeline.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    With him moving over to Red I was hoping that would be the end of his Rachel romance. It always felt off to me and didn't fit.
    Especially since he'd be working with both mother and daughter on Gold and Red...that could get awkward fast...

Fantastic Member victor borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    How is what Jean doing any different then what Scott was doing? How is Searebro (Really?) different then the Weapon X base. Seems like both were/are following the Xavier plan. Jean is just using the Open hand method vs. Scott's Closed Fist method. Long Time Readers of X-Force will get the Analogy.
    Cannonball to Cable.

I love the return of jean is in my top 3, and I like that Remy and Namor are.

But that new girl ... gentle (indifferent at the moment) and not one but two clones of Wolverine (seriously) do not know, there are things I love and things I hate in this book XD.