Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    spoilers:
    Peter's allusion to One More Day is something the next writer could build on, or it's something that could be ignored for another decade.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It'll be followed up on next month, Mephisto's interest in the Parkers will continue to filter through the Damnation tie-in issues of Scarlet Spider under Peter David's pen
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Can't wait for Slott to go, he's had some interesting tales but overall he just makes Peter so unlikeable.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    Can't wait for Slott to go, he's had some interesting tales but overall he just makes Peter so unlikeable.
    A statement that’s been beat to death around here already. I can’t wait for him to go some people can finally stop filling the boards with this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    The only thing i liked about this issue was the potential end of that ridiculous pair of Peter and Morse.
    Everything else was just so painful to see, do we really need to be reminded of OMD? Why does Slott have May immediately say it is Peter's fault? Why have Peter feel worse by causing a death even if it gets erased later on when we know he won't forget it? I mean if Slott is trying to convey he hates Peter than i think we got that message a while back. I just want Slott gone, please can they just hurry this up, get their precious Red Goblin out and gone and let someone else try to salvage the character?
    How anyone can read Slott's run and have the takeaway that Slott "hates Peter", I don't know. If putting Peter through all kinds of sh*t is evidence that Slott hates Peter, then Stan Lee must have really despised him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Problem is that he will remember it still and we all know about his issues with guilt.
    Does anyone think it's even remotely likely that we're going to have moments where Peter is racked with guilt over causing the death of a random stranger only to quickly realize "Oh, wait. He's still alive. Never mind."

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    When people complain about Peter's supposed "unlikeability" under Slott, I have to wonder what qualities they'd deem likable in a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Not really, no. Going back like two minutes to stop some innocent guy from getting killed by a mystical wasp while walking down the sidewalk seems like the right thing to do and much different than going back months to completely change a whole series of events that had a global impact.
    Going back in time in any way to change events would already change the timeline (And I already said that going back even further would change even more, and I also pointed out that's not a point discussed in the comic), even if it's something as "small" as saving someone's life, after all, there would be no Spider-Man as a super hero if a certain nobody like Uncle Ben wasn't killed.

And he doesn't want to ask for magic favors for his own behalf. This is entirely to save a stranger's life.
    Actualy now that I think of it, he was refusing to use Loki's favor to himself because he was just sick of favors, what little he remembers of OMD and Clone Conspiracy made him sick of them, so he isn't refusing Loki's favor to help himself for altruistic reasons, he's just sick of those favors fucking with his life (OMD made him lose "something important", Clone Conspiracy was just one big emotional damaging trip), so using it for someone else's life is fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Slott also made it so that no one could spoilers:
    use Loki to undo Parker Industiries. There was some speculation that a One More Day type story would happen at the end of Slott's run that would reverse all the new stuff, but now this particular option isn't available to the next guy. Peter's allusion to One More Day is something the next writer could build on, or it's something that could be ignored for another decade.
    end of spoilers
    I don't see the point, considering that Slott is already pretending that PI never happened, and he's making stuff mostly go back to how they used to be, the only thing remaining is his current job at the buggle (Can be easily changed to a photographer again) and Superior Ock, and that doesn't need magic favor to be removed ("Whoops, the Carrion Virus was secretly destroying this body" "Whoops I can't make another Spider-Man clone, gotta make a clone of my old body and never try a Spider-Man clone again or worry about the Carrion Virus for no reason", or something like that), although maybe whatever happens in Go Down Swinging could make significant changes and it'd make sense for him to get rid of Loki's favor if he wants to pull a Grant Morrison lol.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    A statement that’s been beat to death around here already. I can’t wait for him to go some people can finally stop filling the boards with this.
    After he's gone we'll start a new era of "Can't wait for Slott to return" .

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

When people complain about Peter's supposed "unlikeability" under Slott, I have to wonder what qualities they'd deem likable in a person.
    Trying to stay completely neutral (I have mixed feelings about Slott’s run), I’d say they are referring to Peter’s sense of humor being more immature than he had been previously. Also, his one comment about the Mandrill’s powers being cool was really disgusting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    After he's gone we'll start a new era of "Can't wait for Slott to return" .
    I guarantee you that will happen. No matter how good Slott's successor is, even if their run is a slam bang home run, a few months in you'll have fans who couldn't wait to rush Dan out the door suddenly pining for his return. It's the nature of fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Trying to stay completely neutral (I have mixed feelings about Slott’s run), I’d say they are referring to Peter’s sense of humor being more immature than he had been previously. Also, his one comment about the Mandrill’s powers being cool was really disgusting.
    That comment alone is an example that Slott makes Peter act too much like a teenager at times, which I'll never finding it odd because even when he was a teenager, he was generaly pretty mature, exceptions from the Lee/Ditko era of him being immature would be stuff like, crashing in Johnny's party (In that story he was just being a douchebag), and planning to hit on Johnny's girlfriend as Spider-Man to annoy him (Didn't do it in the end, but just because the Beetle was planning to capture Johnny's girlfriend), and playing pranks on JJ (Putting web on his chair, and when JJ was controlling that robot, put his own costume there with webs inside to briefly fool JJ into thinking he captured Spider-Man, just to laugh at him), there's probably more around, (Haven't read much of early Spidey stories), but even so, that was back when he was a teenager, and he matured since then (Not completely obviously, but he toned down those stuff).

On the other hand, when Slott writes a more competent Spidey, he's a competent leader with backup plans and awesome technology, which is pretty incompatible with the less mature and less competent Spidey Slott writes, it's almost like they're two different characters, more middle ground would make those two different sides feel more natural.

I guarantee you that will happen. No matter how good Slott's successor is, even if their run is a slam bang home run, a few months in you'll have fans who couldn't wait to rush Dan out the door suddenly pining for his return. It's the nature of fandom.
    Yep, kinda like Zelda fans .

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That comment alone is an example that Slott makes Peter act too much like a teenager at times, which I'll never finding it odd because even when he was a teenager, he was generaly pretty mature, exceptions from the Lee/Ditko era of him being immature would be stuff like, crashing in Johnny's party (In that story he was just being a douchebag), and planning to hit on Johnny's girlfriend as Spider-Man to annoy him (Didn't do it in the end, but just because the Beetle was planning to capture Johnny's girlfriend), and playing pranks on JJ (Putting web on his chair, and when JJ was controlling that robot, put his own costume there with webs inside to briefly fool JJ into thinking he captured Spider-Man, just to laugh at him), there's probably more around, (Haven't read much of early Spidey stories), but even so, that was back when he was a teenager, and he matured since then (Not completely obviously, but he toned down those stuff).

On the other hand, when Slott writes a more competent Spidey, he's a competent leader with backup plans and awesome technology, which is pretty incompatible with the less mature and less competent Spidey Slott writes, it's almost like they're two different characters, more middle ground would make those two different sides feel more natural.
    And that would be the cause of my mixed feelings.

BANNED

These are the times one wishes that the Marvel "Forever" line hadn't tanked. Dan could have been given a continuity-free playpen to do whatever he liked if fan eventually cried for his return.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-08-2018 at 09:19 AM.

I'm not the biggest Slott fan by any stretch, but this has felt more like classic Peter than Ive read in a long time. I'm enjoying the last few months of his run. I think the direction we're seeing with Osborn is also pretty clever.

I will never understand the complete distain for Slott, because he has created so many truly great Spider-Man stories, I don't think they should be completely disregarded because he's also done some not as good ones.

What I feel personally is his biggest flaw is that he tends to favour story over character. He'll come up with a great idea, and will execute that idea really well, but sometimes at the cost of the characters acting out of character.

I understand why some people wouldn't like alot of stuff he has done with certain characters, I agree in certain cases, but to say that his entire run was a complete dud I feel isn't giving him credit for how much good he's done, which to me at least, I think exceeds the bad.

BANNED

The bad has exceeded the good in my opinion. Way too many misses amongst the hits

Poor execution of concepts, numerous missed opportunities, outright character assassinations etc

I completely understand the disdain

Why his fans can't grasp that everyone has different opinions badgers the dickens out of me. The world would be pretty damn boring if we all agreed. I see enough of that despairing hive-mind group-think positivity void of intellectual criticism on Reactor channels
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-08-2018 at 11:39 AM.

You know, when I first read the back issues of Amazing Spider-Man #503 and #504, I wondered if anything would come out of Loki's favor to Spider-Man. Years later, and THIS is what comes of it? Oh well, at least #Spockingbird is no more so...hooray, I guess?

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man #795 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

I enjoyed this issue a lot more that I expected to and I suspect it has something to do with Christos gage co-penning it; it seems I always enjoy an issue more when he has a hand in it. While the issue was certainly padded and this is just the "Road To 800" right now, it felt like old-school Spidey while still referencing current plot developments. Sure, the Loki angle as shoehorned in and was kinda a silly resolution but it strikes me that it was only there so that the OMD card could be played; I doubt that Slott will have any big OMD payoff at this point before he departs (or will he?) but it seems like that is back on the table for the incoming new Spidey writer (or perhaps Zdarsdsky) to tackle in the near future.