View Poll Results: Should Michael Bendis write Green Arrow and Aqyaman?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 13.79%
  • No

25 86.21%
  • Don't Know / No Opinion

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Can Aquaman get the Bendis?

And can Green Arrow get them too?

From DC's point of view, wouldn't it make more sense to put Michael Bendis on those two titles than on Superman?

They had to give him at least one of Clark's books, it's why he joined DC.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if he also got Ollie, that's street level, which fits his wheelhouse. I'm not expecting him on Aquaman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I rarely give Troy credit, but the title of this thread is wonderful.

Aquaman is a character/universe that needs a strong, focused writer to make it good and interesting. If not, it could be REALLY bad. Bendis' style would not fit Aquaman at all. Imagine a bunch of Atlantian royals and dignitaries floating around talking with the same, texting teen-like voice. It would just be a bunch of talking heads using terrible dialogue while fish and bubbles float by (lol).

Green Arrow might actually be a good fit for him, since his best stuff has always been his street level stuff. But of course, you don't bring a big name writer like Bendis to your company to write a B list character.

Superman, I am REALLY nervous about him writing. He hasn't proven that he can do powerful or cosmic level characters well at all. If anything, I think he might have a tendency to subconsiously write Superman the way he writes his street level characters, which would not be good at all.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 02-02-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Ben Percy said a exciting writer is going to be announced for green arrow, Bendis fits the bill but is busy with a lot of books right now..I wouldn't trust the quality if he is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Ben Percy said a exciting writer is going to be announced for green arrow, Bendis fits the bill but is busy with a lot of books right now..I wouldn't trust the quality if he is on it.
    Yeah, that was a large part of the problem with Bendis at Marvel: Dude was put on so many different books and projects at the same time that there was no way any of it was going to be good or have a "different voice" from one book to the next. He was stretched WAY too thin at Marvel. If he's going to start doing that at DC, then the overall quality of DC will start declining just like Marvel's did when Bendis was allowed to do too many books, projects, and characters at the same time.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Abnett has been doing excellent work on Aquaman since 25 so absolutely not. Green Arrow, I haven't been reading but it is the perfect fit for him, actually.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

if writing Superman is what got him to work for DC then it made sense for them to give him Superman as a title instead of Green Arrow or Aquaman.

He might be better suited for Green Arrow than Aquaman because he tends to do street level pretty well.

Just, absolutely no. Aquaman has been one of DC's most consistently good books over the past couple of years (barring the short DCyou run). He already has a big corner of the universe to take his continuity and pacing wrecking ball to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Abnett has been doing excellent work on Aquaman since 25 so absolutely not. Green Arrow, I haven't been reading but it is the perfect fit for him, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Just, absolutely no. Aquaman has been one of DC's most consistently good books over the past couple of years (barring the short DCyou run). He already has a big corner of the universe to take his continuity and pacing wrecking ball to.
    Exactly. Abnett's Aquaman run has been amazing, and Aquaman's book has been strong in general for several years now. Let's keep that momentum going.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I rarely give Troy credit, but the title of this thread is wonderful.
    But not totally original.
    from the thread Can Aquaman get the bends?
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    True. It's more fitting for the character that Aquaman be portrayed as bends-proof.
    I think it's more important to have him be Bendis-proof.
    And more recently,
    When I made this joke back in 2016, little did I dream Bendis would be leaving Marvel and setting sail for DC Comics!

But not totally original.
    from the thread Can Aquaman get the bends?

And more recently,
    I was going under the assumption the title was a homage to the Buried Alien thread. Still, a nice blend of recognition and humor.

I ansewerd no, because I think he'd be terrible at Aquaman, and Abnett is doing a wonderful job with the character right now, but Green Arrow might be in his wheelhouse. Can't say I'm following the character right now, though, so I don't know if what's being done with him now is good.

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I was going under the assumption the title was a homage to the Buried Alien thread. Still, a nice blend of recognition and humor.
    Yes, it was an homage to that thread.

I could see him eventually doing a Green Arrow run but Aquaman is absolutely not a character I see him writing or writing well.