Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Movie #166/ 1990s Movie #12: Wag the Dog
    This is a great take by David Mamet on politics and storytelling, with Dustin Hoffman’s producer going to an end that is sad but inevitable, and elevates it beyond memorable satire (although that part is way too believable now).
    9/10

Movie #167/ 1990s Movie #13/ Medieval #3: Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
    The acting quality here is wildly inconsistent (Freeman’s moor and Rickman’s sheriff of Nottingham are great; Costner and Slater seem to be in the wrong movie) but it’s often fun.
    7/10

Movie #168/ New Movie #109/ 1930s Movie #14/ John Ford Films #3: Judge Priest
    This relatively short John Ford film about a wise judge does highlight Will Rogers’ natural affableness (we can understand how he was one of the biggest movie stars on the planet) but the story is low-stakes, and the racial dynamics are quite outdated (the black characters are caricatures, everybody loves the Confederacy.)
    6/10

Movie #169/New Movie #110/ Silent Movie #13/ Fritz Lang Film #6/ German Film #6/ Medieval #4: Die Nibelungen: Siegfried
    Including the sequel, this Fritz Lang fantasy saga is probably the longest silent film I’ve ever seen. The first half has astounding production design, and comes across as a dark tragic fairy tale. It’s silly and fun, and then things get twisted.
    9/10

Movie #170/ New Movie #111/ 1930s Movie #15/ John Ford Films #4: Steamboat ‘Round The Bend
    This was rather similar to Judge Priest, with Will Rogers in another John Ford film playing a southerner whose best friend is played by Stepin Fetchit, and whose nephew is getting married to a girl from a lower class. But it’s significantly better. A key difference is that Rogers is better suited to be a minor scam artist than a paragon of virtue and wisdom, especially with the Southern setting. There are also higher stakes with a nephew facing the possibility of hanging, and a better satire of something specific: the religious fervor of the era.
    8/10

Movie #171/ New Movie #112/ 1960s Movie #17/ Directorial Debut #3/ Criterion Collection #34/ Czech Film #2: Closely Watched Trains
    Perhaps the best known film of the Czech new wave, this look at the life of a young train conductor in World War 2 is pretty effective at capturing an unambitious man who freaks out due to problems with women. It’s a bit incongruous but it works to show that it’s the height of World War 2 and he’s involved in all sorts of intrigues, but all he wants to do is get laid, which functions as an effective satire of a genre that doesn’t exist yet: the teen sex comedy.
    9/10

Movie #172/New Movie #113/ Silent Movie #14/ Fritz Lang Film #7/ German Film #7/ Medieval #5: Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild’s Revenge
    The conclusion to Fritz Lang’s fantasy epic takes the series in a deeper direction, more like Sophocles, as brother and sister are drawn to a tragic final confrontation due to differing feelings of guilt, loyalty and a desire for revenge. Brilliant set design and silent storytelling.
    9/10

Movie #173/ New Movie #114/ 2016 Movie #7/ Science Fiction Film #4: Passengers
    I’m familiar with the film, mainly as a notable flop, and it’s worth examining why that is. There’s some stuff it does quite well (little details about the sci-fi world, Michael Sheen’s robot bartender) and stretches where things get dull. I read the screenplay before, so I had been familiar with the moment that disappointed readers, and I kept being reminded of Nerdwriter’s argument that it should have been structured differently, although there is more to the shortcomings. Fantastic production design.
    6/10

Movie #174/ New Movie #115/ 2000s Movie #13: Ghosts of the Abyss
    It’s a solid documentary (very impressive in 3D) about the ruins of the Titanic, which takes for granted audience familiarity with the subject matter (I didn’t remember that Bill Pullman was even in the damn film) but highlights the power of history and the iconic nature of this one tragedy.
    8/10

Movie #175/ New Film #116/ 1980s Movie #12/ Directorial Debut #4: Blood Simple
    This is an astoundingly impressive debut for the Coen Brothers as directors, for Frances McDormand as lead actress, and cinematographer Barry Sonnenfield. The Coens’ philosophy is fully formed, in a tragedy of cascading consequences as people without all the information make fatal decisions after a hitman gets hired by a jealous husband. Little details make the characters seem believable, like people who have known one another for years, but aren’t quite aware of what others are capable of, which informs their own decisions.
    8/10

Movie #176/ 1950s Movie #13/ Japanese Film #5/ Criterion Edition #35: The Hidden Fortress
    Best known as a major influence on Star Wars, this samurai saga is several excellent tales, as a princess flees her pursuers, a fallen samurai seeks redemption, and two idiotic bandits seek treasure. Excellent witty action-adventure story in its own right that balances tragedy and humor, with high-class and low-lives. Misa Uehara’s Princess Yuki is one of the best female leads of the genre, and it’s nice to see Toshiro Mifune playing a badass with nobility.
    9/10

Movie #177/ 1990s Movie #14/ Directorial Debut #5: The Shawshank Redemption
    One of the most popular movies ever made remains pretty damn good. The central story of two men forming a friendship in prison, and getting used to changes works so well that it hides two big secrets: the first about what someone did before they were in jail, and the second about what someone’s been up to while no one’s looking. It sets up one of the biggest reveals in film, but it’s enjoyable before that happens, even with all the messed up aspects of prison life.
    10/10

Movie #178/ New Movie #117/ 1950s Movie #14/ Theatrical Release #36: This Can’t Happen Here
    Bergman disavowed this early effort, which is of interest to several groups. Aficionados of his work will be curious about the seeds of his later films. Spy fans might be interested in how one of the great directors handles a Hitchcock/ Fritz Lang style mystery (and the answer is that it’s okay enough). It’s also interesting to explore in the context of the metaphor for the experience of Baltics fleeing the Soviet Union (my grandparents were Estonian refugees, and my Aunt was born in Sweden) and what this suggests about their lives.
    7/10

Movie #179/ 2000s Movie #14: Eurotrip
    This is a lot of fun within the genre of teen sex comedies. The cast isn’t that great, but it does have some great bits (Scotty Doesn’t Know!) and takes advantage of the European setting quite well.
    8/10

Movie #180/ 1940s Movie #3 John Ford Films #5: How Green Was My Valley
    This movie’s overshadowed by the injustice of Orson Welles losing Best Picture and Best Director. It remains a solid take on a young boy becoming a man, in a society that is full of love and sometimes deeply flawed. The supporting cast is excellent, especially Walter Pidgeon as a lovelorn pastor.
    9/10

The roundup...

Best Film: The Shawshank Redemption

Best New Film: Marketa Lazerova

Best Irish Film: The Quiet Man

Best John Ford Film: How Green Was My Valley

Best Directorial Debut: The Shawshank Redemption

Best Japanese Film: The Hidden Fortress

Best Film on Shudder: Female Prisoner Scorpion- Jailhouse 41 (although there are some better films on the service that I’ve already seen, including Battle Royale, November (Recent addition- Congrats Estonia!), Run Lola Run, The Host, The Descent, The Wicker Man, Night of the Living Dead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Black Sunday

Best Medieval: Marketa Lazerova

Worst Movie: Cherry Falls
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

It's been a while since I made any updates. I've slowly made some progress in my movie watching and if I pick things up I might hit 50! Been kind of busy lately but here is the updated list from the beginning post in no particular order

Movie log 2018
    1. It's a Gift - W.C Fields comedy gold
    2. True Grit (John Wayne)
    3. Black Narcissus - directed by Michael Powell and most notable for the stunning Oscar winning photography by Jack Cardiff. Bonus: The beserk nun played by Kathleen Byron.
    4. Garden of Evil - Western starring Gary Cooper, Richard Widmark and Susan Hayward. Early example of CinemaScope used by 20th Century Fox and one of the few westerns that Bernard Herrmann scored.
    5. The Shape of Water
    6. Gifted (2017)
    7. Black Panther
    8. Avengers: Infinity War
    9. The Quiet Place
    10. Atomic Blond
    11. Alien: Covenant
    12. The Snowman (2017) Not as bad as some of reviews but it did have a disappointing conclusion
    13. Ant Man and the Wasp
    14. Killer Shrews low budget fun.
    15. Phantom of the Opera (Hammer 1962) IMO much better than the Univeral's 1943 production with Claude Rains as the Phantom. Strangely enough, this Hammer project started out with Cary Grant being interested in playing the romantic lead! Around this time Hammer was going through all the old Universal stuff so it's no surprise they did their own "Phantom". I thought Herbert Lom as the Phantom did quite well despite how little he has to do.
    16. The Face Behind the Mask
    17. Frankenstein meets the Wolfman
    18. Mark of the Vampire (1935) This film is a lesson in how quickly one's star can rise and descend in Hollywood. In 1931, Bela Lugosi was the lead in director Todd Browning's "Dracula". The next time Browning cast Lugosi, he was merely a decoy in a murder mystery.
    19. The Mountain Between Us a film even Kate Winslett and Idris Alba can't save. dull, survival in the wilderness formula with a very cliche ending.
    20. Justice League
    21. Logan
    22. Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
    23. The Man who shot Liberty Valance
    24. Up in the Air
    25. Captain America: The First Avenger Early in September, Marvel Studios had a sort of 10th Anniversary Film festival that hit your local IMAX theaters. IMO Captain America has the best arc throughout the films so far. His first two films are my favorites
    26. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    27. The Avengers completed my little Marvel film fest for the weekend.
    28. 30 Days of Night (2007) I don't recall reading much about this movie when it was released and caught it on cable one night a couple years ago. The vampires scared the crap out of me. Watched it again recently and I still consider it a highly underrated horror films. The vampires scared the crap out of me. They weren't suave and romanticized. They were stone cold vicious.
    29. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) - Father / son coroners who have their own morgue in the basement of their residence spend a harrowing night trapped with a recently deceased Jane Doe. Not released in the U.S it had a limited release in Europe. Very effective to watch alone late at night
    30. Robin and Marian (1976) I found the Richard Lester Musketeer films very enjoyable with a great cast. This film also has a great cast with Richard Lester directing. But as someone who thinks no one will top Errol Flynn's in The Aventures of Robin Hood, I found this movie to be plodding and lacked the same charm of Lester's Musketeer films. The original title of the movie was "The Death of Robin" so the tone was always going to be a bit darker. Robert Shaw, like in from Russia with Love, comes out on the losing end of a brutal fight with Sean Connery. Shaw's star had been on the rise since Jaws but he would make his last film 2 years later. He died at the age of 51.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-23-2018 at 10:10 PM.

BANNED

101. Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 (1972)
    102. Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)
    103. Madagascar Skin (1995)
    104. Meat (1976)
    105. Primate (1974)
    106. Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
    107. The Match Factory Girl (1990)
    108. Dead Ringer (1964)
    109. Black Panther (2018)
    110. Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964)
    111. What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (1962)
    112. In This Our Life (1942)
    113. The Plague Dogs (1982)
    114. T2 Trainspotting (2017)
    115. The Little Foxes (1941)
    116. The African Queen (1951)
    117. Dead Ringers (1988)
    118. Now, Voyager (1942)
    119. Polyester (1981)
    120. Desperate Living (1977)
    121. Heathers (1988)
    122. The California Reich (1975)
    123. Divine Trash (1988)
    124. Coffy (1973)
    125. Demons (1971)

126. Boom! (1968)
    127. All That Heaven Allows (1955)
    128. Hairspray (1988)
    129. Cry-Baby (1990)
    130. Interlude (1968)
    131. High School (1968)
    132. Imitation of Life (1959)
    133. Atman (1975)
    134. Pecker (1998)
    135. The Conjuring (2013)
    136. Citizen Kane (1941)
    137. Room (2015)
    138. The 47 Ronin (1941)
    139. The Beales of Grey Gardens (1975)
    140. Grey Gardens (1975)
    141. Gimme Shelter (1970)
    142. Julius Caesar (1953)
    143. Possession (1981)
    144. Salesman (1969)
    145. A Place in the Sun (1951)
    146. Giant (1956)
    147. On the Waterfront (1954)
    148. Cleopatra (1963)
    149. Black Rose Mansion (1969)
    150. Last Tango in Paris (1972)

My film watching slowed down for a few months, but I've brought up no. 125 with the Australian thriller Mystery Road, followed immediately after by its sequel Goldstone at a double-feature at the National Film & Sound Archive.

All-New Member

The Last Dinosaur
    The Man Who Would Be King
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Thin Man
    The Ultimate Warrior
    The Deep
    Jaws
    Smokey and the Bandit
    A Day At the Races
    Freaks
    The Blues Brothers
    Animal House
    Neighbors
    Doctor Detroit
    Jeepers Creepers
    The Falcon
    The Falcon Returns
    Bad Day at Black Rock
    The Saint
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Devils Brigade
    The Shootest
    Rio Bravo
    The Searchers
    The Deer Hunter
    Taxi Driver
    Goodfellas
    Billy Jack
    Vanishing Point
    Five Card Stud
    To Late the Hero
    Alien
    Aliens
    Halloween
    Halloween II
    The Lost Boys
    Hopscotch
    Lost Weekend
    Dracula
    Dracula's Daughter
    The Wolfman
    Frankenstein
    The Mummy
    The Mummy Returns
    The Village
    Unbreakable
    Split
    Cannonball Run
    The Ape
    Burnt Offerings
    Legion
    The Last Gunfighter
    Duck You Suckers
    Highlander
    Torn Curtain
    Mazes and Monsters
    Follow Me Boys
    It's A Mad Mad Mad World
    Robo Cop
    Snatch
    The Man Called Horse
    Twilight Zone The Movie
    Bonnie and Clyde
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Soapdish
    L A Confidential
    Swordfish
    Earthquake
    Hot Fuzz
    The Thing
    Bachelor Party
    Forrest Gump
    Swamp Thing
    The Long Riders
    Marathon Man
    Sorcerer
    Blink
    Batman Begins
    High Noon

These are my movies watched through October. I will update soon.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Cool

Held off to Long since I posted My last list, been so busy watch the movies as well as reading comics and other projects I put it off in posting it, so sorry for the delay.

Been keeping the list offline and now I am ready to post it and really so far it has been an AMAZING Trip seeing All of these movies, from some being Classics seeing them again but most of them being New Ones I am Very Glad to finally watch as well as some extras that came with them that the help me growing in appreciation the movie as well as other aspects these extra's gave to Me that are just Great in so Many Ways!

18.) It (2017)! ~~ HULU/HBO

19.) Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)! ~~ THEATERS

20.) Akira (1988)! ~~ English Dub 2001 cast, DVD ENHANCED VERSION 2001

EXTRAS:
    * Akira Sound Clips (1988)!
    * Director Interview!
    * StoryBoard Collection!
    * The Writing is on the Wall!
    * Restoring Akira!
    * Glossary!

21.) Akira (1988)! ~~ Akira (1988)! ~~ English Dub 2001 cast, Blu-Ray

22.) Akira (1988)! ~~ Akira (1988)! ~~ English Dub 1993 cast, Blu-Ray

23.) Akira (1988)! ~~ Akira (1988)! ~~ Japaneses with Sub-Titles, Blu-Ray

24.) Peter Pan (1953)! ~~ DVD

25.) Deadpool (2016)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:
    * From Comics to Screen...to Screen!
    * Deleted/Extended Scenes!
    * Gag Reel!
    * Gallery (Concept Art, Costumes,Storyboards, Pre-vis, Stunt-vis)!
    * Deadpool s Fun Sack - Video and Stills!

26.) Deadpool 2 (2018)! ~~ Theaters

27.) Legion (2010)! ~~ Cable TV

28.) Space Mutiny (1988)! ~~ RIFFTRAXS Special In Theaters

29.) Avengers: Infinity War (2018) ~~ Theaters

30.) The Producers (1967)! ~~ Theaters

31.) Darkman (1990)! HD on Demand Cable

32.) The Warriors (1979) SPECIAL! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* Introduction by Director Walter Hill!
    * The Warriors: The Beginning!
    * The Warriors: Battleground!
    * The Warriors: The Way Home!
    * The Warriors: The Phenomenon!
    * Original Theatrical Trailer!

33.) The Warriors (1979) SPECIAL! ~~ Blu-Ray

34.) Deep Blue Sea (1999)! ~~ NetFlix

35.) Full Metal Jacket (1987)! ~~ NetFlix

36.) Incredibles 2 (2018)! ~~ Theaters

37.) Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)! ~~ NetFlix

38.) Van Helsing (2004)! ~~ Blu-Ray

39.) Justice League (2017)! ~~ HD Cable/DVD

40.) Justice League (2017)! ~~ Blu-Ray

41.) Hackers (1995)! ~~ Standard DVD

42.) Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)! ~~ Theaters

43.) Full Metal Jacket (1987)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* Full Metal Jacket: Between Good and Evil!
    * Theatrical Trailer

44.) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)! ~~ HULU

45.) The Running Man (1987)! ~~ HULU

46.) Sailor Moon R: The Movie: The Promise of the Rose (1993)! ~~ Theaters: Japanese with English Subtitles

47.) Sailor Moon S: The Movie - Hearts in Ice (1994)! ~~ Theaters: Japanese with English Subtitles

48.) Sailor Moon SuperS: The Movie: Black Dream Hole (1995)! ~~ Theaters: Japanese with English Subtitles

49.) Hot Fuzz (2007)! ~~ NetFlix

50.) Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)! ~~ HULU

51.) Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* A Flash in Time: Time Travel in the Flash Universe!
    * My Favorite Villian! The Flash Bad Guys!

52.) Justice League Dark (2017)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* The Story of Swamp Thing!
    * Constantine Origin!
    * Color of Magic!
    * Black Orchid!
    * Deadman Casting!
    * Sneak Peak~ Teen Titans: The Judas Contract!
    * Sneak Peak~ Justice League: Doom!
    * Sneak Peak~ Justice League: Gods and Monsters!

53.) Justice League Dark (2017)! ~~ Blu-Ray

54.) Krull (1983)! ~~ RIFFTRAXS Special In Theaters

55.) Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (2018)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* Outback Rogue: Captain Boomerang!
    * Nice Shot, Floyd! The Greatest Marksman in the DCU!
    * The Power of Plot Devices, MacGuffins and Red Herrings!

56.) Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (2018)! ~~ Blu-Ray

57.) Ready Player One (2018)! ~~ Blu-Ray

58.) Justice League vs. Teen Titans (2016)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* Growing Up Titan!
    * Heroes and Villains: Raven!
    * Heroes and Villains: Trigon!

58.) Justice League vs. Teen Titans (2016)! ~~ Blu-Ray

59.) Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* Titanic Minds: Reuniting Wolfman and Perez!
    * Villain Rising: Death Stroke!
    * Sneak Peak~ Batman and Harley Quinn!
    * Sneak Peak~ Superman/Batman: Public Enemies!
    * Sneak Peak~ Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox!

60.) Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017)! ~~ Blu-Ray

61.) Justice League: War (2014)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* Deconstructing War with Jay Oliva and Jim Lee!
    * Creating Heroes: The Life and Art of Jim Lee!
    * Sneak Peak~ Son of Batman!

62.) Justice League: War (2014)! ~~ Blu-Ray

63.) Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* Villains of the Deep!
    * Scoring Atlantis: The Sound of the Deep!
    * Robin and Nightwing Bonus Sequence!
    * Sneak Peak~ Batman vs. Robin!

64.) Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015)! ~~ Blu-Ray

65.) Under Siege (1992)! ~~ AMC Cable Channel

66.) Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* A Test of Minds: Superman and Batman!
    * Blackest Night: Inside The DC Comics Event!
    * Sneak Peak~ Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths!
    * Sneak Peak~ Wonder Woman: The Amazon Princess!
    * Sneak Peak~ Batman Gotham Knight: An Anime Evolution!
    * Sneak Peak~ From Graphic Novel to Original Animated Movie - Justice League: The New Frontier!
    * Sneak Peak~ Green Lantern: First Flight!

67.) Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009)! ~~ Blu-Ray

68.) Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010)! ~~ Blu-Ray

EXTRAS:

* DC Showcase: The Spectre!
    * DCU: The New World - From Identity Crisis Forward!
    * Sneak Peak~ Batman: Under the Red Hood!

69.) Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010)! ~~ Blu-Ray

70.) Big Trouble in Little China (1986)! ~~ Blu-Ray DVD

71.) Shin Godzilla (2016)! - Blu-Ray DVD ~ English Dub

72.) Stigmata (1999)! ~ Regular DVD

73.) Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! (1978)! ~~ Blu-Ray DVD

74.) The War of the Worlds (1953)! ~~ DVD

75.) The Seventh Sign (1988)! ~~ Blu-Ray DVD

76.) Deep Rising (1998)! ~~ HULU

77.) End of Days (1999)! ~~ DVD

78.)Constantine (2005)! ~~ NETFLIXS

79.)The Prophecy (1995)! ~~ HULU

80.) Rosemary's Baby (1968)! ~~ DVD

81.) The Ninth Gate (1999)! ~~ HULU

82.) The Wicker Man (1973)! ~~ DVD

83.) Constantine: City of Demons (2018) ~~ Blu-Ray DVD

84.) Thir13en Ghosts (2001)! ~~ DVD

85.) Hellraiser (1987)! ~~ HULU

86.) Van Helsing (2004)! ~~ Blu-Ray DVD

87.) Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988)! ~~ HULU

88.) Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992)! ~~ ON DEMAND CABLE ~ HD MOVIE

89.) Hellraiser: Bloodline (1996)! ~~ BLU RAY

90.) Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters ~ UNRATED CUT (2013)! ~~ BLUE RAY

91.) The Crow (1994)! ~~ BLU RAY

92.) Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)! ~~ BLU RAY

93.) The Omen (1976)! ~~ BLU RAY

94.) Damien: Omen II (1978)! ~~ BLU RAY

95.) Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981)! ~~ BLU RAY

96.) The Omen (2006)! ~~ BLU RAY

97.)The Exorcist (1973)~ EXTENDED DIRECTOR'S CUT! ~~ DVD

98.) Exorcist: The Beginning (2004)! ~~ WIDESCREEN EDITION DVD

99.) Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977)! ~~ COLLECTORS EDITION ~ BLU RAY

100.) Vampire Hunter D (1985)! ~~ BLU RAY ~~ SENTAI FILMWORKS DUB 2015!

101.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)! ~~ BLU RAY

102.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (2016)! ~~ BLU RAY
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

151. Harold and Maude (1971)

152. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

153. One-Eyed Jacks (1961)

154. I Am Divine (2013)

155. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

156. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)

157. Black Lizard (1968)

158. Vengeance is Mine (1979)

159. Bicycle Thieves (1948)

160. El Topo (1970)

161. Hiroshima, Mon Amour (1959)

162. 8 1/2 (1963)

163. Blood Simple (1984)

164. Naked (1993)

165. Wild Strawberries (1957)

166. Curmudgeons (2016)

167. Au Hasard Balthazar (1966)

168. In the Mood for Love (2000)

169. McCabe and Mrs. Miller (1971)

170. A Dog’s Life (1918)

171. Hour of the Wolf (1968)

172. Fanny and Alexander (1982)

173. The Burmese Harp (1956)

174. Raw (2016)

175. Tampopo (1985)
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 11-12-2018 at 09:58 PM.

BANNED

176. Errementari (2017)

177. Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

178. Reversing Roe (2018)

179. Solaris (1972)

180. Conflagration (1958)

181. The Battle of Algiers (1966)

182. Howards End (1992)

183. A Woman Under the Influence (1974)

184. Bram Stroker’s Dracula (1992)

185. Jellyfish Eyes (2011)

186. Jubilee (1978)

187. Black Sun (1964)

188. Gate of Flesh (1964)

189. Touch of Evil (1958)

190. Fall Guy (1982)

191. Grand Illusion (1937)

192. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

193. All About Eve (1950)

194. Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (1939)

195. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

196. 12 Angry Men (1957)

197. Lady Bird (2017)

198. Locke (2013)

199. Frances Ha (2012)

200. The Wages of Fear (1953)

BANNED

201. Tab Hunter Confidential (2015)

202. Casablanca (1942)

203. Ichi the Killer (2001)

204. The Leopard (1963)

205. Trog (1970)

206. Lust in the Dust (1985)

207. Audition (1999)

208. Cat People (1942)

209. Y Tu Mama Tambien (2001)

210. Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)

211. Roma (2018)

212. The Driver’s Seat (1974)

213. You Were Never Really Here (2017)

214. Black Zoo (1963)

215. November (2017)

216. The V.I.P.s (1963)

217. Suddenly, Last Summer (1959)

218. Night Watch (1973)

219. Father of the Bride (1950)

220. Mommy (2014)

Exclamation

Hello Fellow Participating Posters!

The year 2018 is Quickly coming to an end, but as Stated before and I will provided in the Link below, this contest was started late in February 2018 so the Contest Remember will be Ending on February 28th of 2019, so Don't think you only have the last days of 2018 Again to finish you lists, You have time cause of the timing the Contest Started!

https://media2.giphy.com/media/nCgAC...63426241832d6f

I like to continue to make this contest a Tradition around here, motivate fans to see more movies and share what we see.

So I am going to be beginning the 2019 150 Movie Thread tonight as well!

Quick Imput, if you are in the 2018 contest on this thread right now and want to participate in the 2019, just know a that pure the rules you still have 2 months to finish the 2018 contest, so in that 2 months in 2019 any movie can count towards BOTH conests now if you are particpating in the 2019 contest as well.

Any confusions of questions like post and let me know.

The 2019 contest will be Up shortly!

Thanks so far for ALL the participated in this years contest so far, it has been Such a pleasure reading all the movies you posted and motivating me to see what great movies are still out their to watch!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

With this group of films, I add a few subcategories: five films from HBO Now, five films from October, five films I had seen before this year, and five by the director Jean Renoir.

Movie #181/ 1990s Movie #15/ HBO Now Film #1: The Fugitive
    The big-budget TV adaptation is astoundingly successful. The set pieces are amazing. The central conspiracy is solid. Tommy Lee Jones is excellent as a driven marshal who initially starts as an antagonist, but slowly becomes the good guy as the truth becomes revealed.
    9/10

Movie #182/ New Movie #118/ 2018 Movie #19/ HBO Now Film #2/ Documentary #8: For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Well made, and inspirational take on the life of John McCain. I’ll quibble a bit about some key omissions (his wife’s painkiller addiction, his first wife’s disabilities, the 1996 Veepstakes, the remarkable comeback during the 2008 presidential primary, anything McCain did during the Obama presidency) but this is a solid take on a great man at the end of his life looking at a world that is on the precipice.
    8/10

Repeat Movie #1: Marketa Lazerova
    This remains hard to follow, given the large cast, dream sequences, parallel cutting, and lack of a clear lead (the title character disappears for chunks of the film.) But it is impressive and beautiful, giving an impression of what it would be like to live in the harsh and uncivilized medieval Czech Republic for those caught in the crossfire of a larger conflict.
    10/10

Movie #183/ 1990s Movie #16/ HBO Now Film #3: Analyze This
    Last time I saw this was when it was theaters; that was a good bonding experience with my dad. It remains a funny tale of a psychiatrist out of his element when he gets dragged into a Mob dispute. This time I have a better appreciation of some of the mob film parodies.
    8/10

Movie #184/ New Movie #119/ 2017 Movie #17/ Documentary #9: Icarus
    Excellent documentary by someone who was doing one thing (trying to show the effects of steroid use on himself in a semi-professional athletic endurance event) but was in the right place at the right time to capture something very different, as a new acquaintance became a major figure in an international scandal.
    9/10

Movie #185/ New Movie #120/ 1960s Movie #18/ Criterion Edition #36/ French Film #: Fanfan la Tulipe
    Solid and enjoyable film about a roguish swashbuckler. It’s immense fun, with Gerard Phillipe showing that he could compete with anyone else in the dashing rogue category.
    9/10

Movie #186/ New Movie #121/ 2016 Movie #8/ HBO Now Film #4: All the Way
    Political dramas are catnip for me, and this is one of the better HBO efforts. Cranston’s LBJ is a powerhouse performance, and the cast is solid. It gets across a flawed guy manipulating competing interests to change the world, as he betrays friends, ignores an international crisis, and pushes through major civil rights legislation.
    8/10

Movie #187/ New Movie #122/ Theatrical Release #37/ 2018 Movie #20: The Old Man and the Gun
    I don’t think anyone else but Robert Redford would have pulled off this role so well. It’s initially a take on a charming older criminal who is surprisingly successful at bank robberies, but becomes a bit of a study on his compulsion.
    8/10

Movie #188/ New Movie #123/ 1930s Movie #15/ Criterion Edition #37/ French Film #/ Renoir Film #1: La Bête Humaine (The Human Beast)
    Dad appreciated the look at 1930s French rail. It might be a step down from Renoir’s other work of the era, produced between The Grand Illusion and Rules of the Game, but still a good take on the dark things people are capable of.
    8/10

Movie #189/ 2017 Movie #18/ Best Actor Winner #6: Darkest Hour
    It might be manipulative, but this take on Churchill at the first month as Prime Minister is inspirational, elevated by Gary Oldman’s transformation into the iconic figure (on par with Day Lewis’ Lincoln), a solid cast and astounding production values. Churchill might never have gone into the Underground to query the populace about whether there should be a deal with Hitler, but it fits the myth and the character.
    9/10

Movie #190/ 1940s Movie #3/ Criterion Film #38: The Great Dictator
    This Chaplin film’s reputation has increased recently, and for good reason. It may be a bit disjointed, but has some fantastic sequences, and an astounding dual performance as the busy Hitler-like dictator and a barber. Some points are a tad underdeveloped (the barber’s generation-long mental break) but this does include some of the high points of film. The closing speech has been shown out of context, but the build-up to it is why it works so well.
    10/10

Movie #191/ 2010s Movie #14/ New Movie #124/ Best Actor Winner #7/ Best Actor Winner #2: The Revenant
    It’s a staggeringly beautiful film that deserves the Best Cinematography Oscar. There is a unique visual approach in how there is a consistent down to earth depiction of characters injured and crawling, and unable to walk. The rest of it is fine.
    8/10

Movie #192/ New Movie #125/ 2010s Movie #15/ Horror Movie #1/ Irish Film #6: Grabbers
    This is a fun high-concept for a monster film, as an Irish island community faces an invasion from creatures that can’t stand alcohol. As a result, the heroes have to get sloshed. The exploration of character also works, helping the final result to be a decent film.
    7/10

Movie #193/ New Movie #126/ 2017 Movie #19/ HBO Now Film #5/ Horror Movie #2: It
    Maybe seeing what might be Stephen King’s best-loved book in film shows how much elements of it have popped up elsewhere in his work (the kids VS vicious older bullies in Stand By Me, abusive parents of loner children in Carrie and The Stand) but it’s a decent take on friendship, coming of age, and ancient evil. It’s just not exceptional yet, although that may change with Chapter 2.
    7/10

Movie #194/ New Movie #127/ 1980s Movie #13/ Horror Movie #3: Hellraiser
    This horror pick is rather mixed. The designs and music work, although the style can be dated, and the motivations are kinda messed up.
    6/10

Movie #195/ New Movie #128/ 1990s Movie #17/ Horror Movie #4: Ghostwatch
    Excellent mockumentary that soon becomes something else. It definitely seems to have an influence on the likes of Paranormal Activity, although I appreciate how believable it is in how it depicts an initially mundane TV special, and the world that’s built here.
    9/10

Movie #196/ 1990s Movie #18/ Horror Movie #5/ Best Actor Winner #8: Silence of the Lambs
    We pay so much attention to Hopkins’ Hannibal Lecter, who may just be the best movie villain ever, that one can neglect how well the film shows Clarice Starling’s arc as an FBI cadet investigating a completely different serial killer. The pacing is also astounding.
    10/10

Movie #197/ New Movie #129/ 1990s Movie #19/ Criterion Edition #39: The Fisher King
    This is a film worth exploring for a few reasons. The central story of a disgraced celebrity trying to help out a mentally ill man he wounded in the past is done well enough, especially with the visuals introduced by Terry Gillam, and the performances by Willaims and Bridges. The story is elevated by the level of care put into the allegories, and Mercedes Bruhl’s Academy Award winning performance as a woman aware that she’s become an afterthought in some man’s redemption story, and outraged about it.
    8/10

Movie #198/ New Movie #130/ 2018 Movie #21/ Horror Film #6/ Theatrical Release #38: Suspiria
    There is depth here in Luca Guadagnino’s more muted (in comparison to the prog-rock neon original) take on Suspiria, which ties the story of the evil cabal of witches to the German psyche in the 1970s (the situation between East and West Germany; individual guilt over the Holocaust.)
    8/10

Repeat Movie #2/ Renoir Film #2: The Rules of the Game
    The comedy of manners balances an absurd amount of fully realized characters with their own moral codes and understandings, all of which lead to tragedy. Can be appreciated on different levels, depending on whose story you’re following/
    10/10

Repeat Movie #3: The Band of Outsiders
    The crime film is still fantastic, and is probably my favorite Godard, thanks to the three astounding leads in a story about two criminals and a girl who gets involved with them, who just aren’t very good at what they aim to do.
    10/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Movie #199/ 1960s Movie #18: The Producers
    Mel Brooks’ directorial debut is one of the funniest movies ever made, the perfect execution of one of the best concepts for a comedy ever.
    10/10

Movie #200/ New Movie #131/ 2017 Movie #20/ Horror Movie #7: I Remember You
    An odd combination of Icelandic detective story and ghost story. It’s not bad, as three different stories (three friends on a secluded island, a detective trying to figure out his diabetic son disappeared, hauntings involving a decades old disappearance) intersect.
    7/10

Movie #201/ New Movie #132/ 1930s Movie #16/ Criterion Edition #40/ French Film #4/ Renoir Film #3: La Chienne
    I didn’t realize until I watched it that it was remade as Fritz Lang’s Scarlet Street. To be more technical, the same source material was used for that one. This starrs Michel Simon, who I know more as one of the old first mate in L’Atalante, and as one of the judges in one of my favorite movies ever: The Passion of Joan of Arc. It’s a solid film, although overhadowed by Renoir’s other work, as well as Scarlet Street, which has a stronger sense of visual identity. The main distinction here is that Simon’s lead is a bit more subtle, and they’re more explicit about the pimpish aspects of the relationship between the love interest and the other guy.
    8/10

Movie #202/ New Movie #133/ 1950s Movie #15/ Criterion Edition #41/ Renoir Film #4: The River
    Beautifully shot coming of age film, showing a somewhat ordinary British family in an environment in which everything is heightened. The awkwardness of the largely non-professional cast fits well with the characters.
    9/10

Repeat Movie #4: Earth
    The version on Kanopy might not be the best edition of what reviews suggest is one of the most beautiful silent movies ever made, so it’s possible that I’ll appreciate a remastered version significantly more. This still remains icky due to the endorsement of one of the worst causes of the 20th Century (the specific brand of Socialist Collectivism that led to the Ukranian famine) although the imagery is often iconic.
    7/10

Repeat Movie #5/ Horror Film #8: November
    Watching the Estonian film on Shudder for a second time, I got the sense of its depiction of poor people living in a supernatural world, and trying to take advantage of it in weird ways. It’s oddly sympathetic to Baltic Germans, and against the salt of the earth Estonians, but does depict struggles in a fully-realized world.
    8/10

Movie #203/ New Movie #134/ 1940s Movie #18/ Renoir Film #5: The Southerner
    The film that got Renoir his one directing nomination is a solid take on a family’s difficulties in farming. Often quite beautiful, and it does address both sides of the mythmaking of what it means to be American and independent.
    7/10

Movie #204/ New Movie #135/ 2018 Movie #22/ Saw It In Theaters #39: The Green Book
    Mostly a two-hander with excellent performances by Viggo Mortensen as an Italian-American lunk, and Mahershala Ali as an African-American singer going on a tour of the segregated South. Generally entertaining and funny with characters who slowly reveal complexity and nuance. Probably the best picture choice for those in my social circle.
    9/10

Movie #205/ New Movie #136/ 2018 Movie #23/ Saw It In Theaters #40: Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
    Easily Sony’s best Spider-Man film since Spider-Man 2. It tells a story about an interdimensional crisis, as well as the origin of the Miles Morales Spider-Man, in an accessible way. Bonus points for all the little clever moments, and the sense of visual identity for each of the spider-people.
    10/10

Movie #206/ New Movie #137/ 2016 Movie #9/ Documentary #10: I Am Not Your Negro
    Weirdly relaxing take on race relations using James Baldwin’s reflections on the deaths of Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and Medgar Evers. He was definitely ahead of his time given how often and how well he counters arguments that have popped up recently (IE- When Bobby Kennedy said there might be a negro President in forty years, Depictions of African-Americans in films white liberals like.)
    9/10

Movie #207/ New Movie #138/ 2018 Movie #24/ Saw It In Theaters #41: Aquaman
    Gorgeous in Imax 3D. It is probably the second best of the DCEU films, with a sense of fun pushing through multiple narratives (young Arthur learning how to be a superhero and learning the tragic fate of his mother, a war between four kingdoms, a raider seeking revenge for the death of his father, a dynastic clash between heirs to the throne, a battle with a secret race.) A narratively cleaner film could have made more sense, although I’m not sure any of these stories would be good enough on its own, and this was a film that made the moment Aquaman put on his classic costume seem cool.
    7/10

Movie #208/ New Movie #139/ 2016 Movie #10: The Lobster
    It was released in 2016 in the US, so I’m counting it in that category. Dry and deadpan look at a world where no one is allowed to be single, bad news for a guy whose wife just left him.
    8/10

Movie #209/ New Movie #140/ 2018 Movie #25/ Saw It In Theaters #42/ Documentary #11: They Shall Not Grow Old
    This is an astounding effort at modernizing century-old footage to show what the typical World War 1 experience was like for young men in England. The Fathom events version included Peter Jackson’s explanation about the goals and process, which turns a great film into one of the best of its kind.
    9/10, 10/10 (with the Peter Jackson explainer)

Movie #210/ New Movie #141/ 2018 Movie #26/ Saw It In Theaters #43: Bumblebee
    Perfectly solid prequel to a film that didn’t seem like it needed one. It also works as a homage to the 80s, the era of the Transformers. The story of a teen trying to get over her father’s death sometimes falls into self-parody, but Hailee Steinfeld’s is more compelling than any of the other Transformers human leads (low bar admittedly) and it works with the action sequences, as well as the friendship with an odd alien robot.
    8/10

Round-Up:
    Favorite Horror Film: Silence of the Lambs
    Favorite HBO Now Film: The Fugitive
    Favorite Repeat: Marketa Lazerova
    Favorite Renoir: Rules of the Game
    Favorite Movie I Had Never Seen Before: Ghostwatch
    Favorite Movie Overall: Marketa Lazerova

2018 Round-Up:
    Favorite Silent Film: The Passion of Joan of Arc
    Favorite New Silent Film: Thief of Bagdad
    Favorite 1930s Film: M
    Favorite New 1930s Film: Steamboat ‘Round the Bend
    Favorite 1940s Film: Gaslight
    Favorite New 1940s Film: Rome Open City
    Favorite 1950s Film: All About Eve
    Favorite New 1950s Film: The Big Heat
    Favorite 1960s Film: 2001- A Space Odyssey
    Favorite New 1960s Film: Marketa Lazerova
    Favorite 1970s Film: Aguirre, the Wrath of God
    Favorite New 1970s Film: Stalker
    Favorite 1980s Film: Tootsie
    Favorite New 1980s Film: Rain Man
    Favorite 1990s Film: The Shawshank Redemption
    Favorite New 1990s Film: Magnolia
    Favorite 2000s Film: Children of Men
    Favorite New 2000s Film: The New World
    Favorite 2010s Film: The Social Network
    Favorite New 2010s Film: Tangerines/ To Kill a Man
    Favorite 2016 Film: Captain America- Civil War
    Favorite New 2016 Film: Moana
    Favorite 2017 Film: Star Wars- The Last Jedi
    Favorite New 2017 Film: Call Me By Your Name
    Favorite 2018 Film: Black Panther
    Favorite Fritz Lang Film: M
    Favorite German Film: M
    Favorite Directorial Debut: The Shawshank Redemption
    Favorite Japanese Film: The Hidden Fortress
    Favorite French Film: Band of Outsiders
    Favorite Horror Film: The Silence of the Lambs
    Favorite Science-Fiction Film: 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Top Five Films I’ve Never Seen Before: Marketa Lazerova, Thief of Bagdad, Rome Open City, Stalker, Black Panther
    Favorite Documentary: They Shall Not Grow Old
    Favorite Overall Film: The Passion of Joan of Arc
    Worst Movie: Head
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

That’s it for 2018.

221. Midnight Cowboy (1969)

222. Married to the Mob (1988)

223. The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)

224. Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

225. Pee Wee’s Big Holiday (2016)

226. Maurice (1987)

227. The Remains of the Day (1993)

228. 84 Charing Cross Road (1987)

229. A Room With a View (1985)

230. Battleship Potemkin (1925)
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 12-31-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Been a while since I updated mine. I've slowed down in my movie watching but caught up a bit around Halloween

31. Horror Hotel
    32. Bride of Frankenstein
    33. Son of Frankenstein
    34. The Mummy (1932) Karloff
    35. The Mummy (1959) Christopher Lee
    36. My Dinner with Herve (HBO 2018)
    37. The Ghost and Mr Chicken
    38. Island of Lost Souls
    39. Bohemian Rhapsody
    40. March of the Wooden Soldiers (Laurel & Hardy)
    41. Scrooge
    42. Nicholas Nickleby (2002)
    43. Tale of Two Cities (1935)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Been a while since I updated mine. I've slowed down in my movie watching but caught up a bit around Halloween

31. Horror Hotel
    32. Bride of Frankenstein
    33. Son of Frankenstein
    34. The Mummy (1932) Karloff
    35. The Mummy (1959) Christopher Lee
    36. My Dinner with Herve (HBO 2018)
    37. The Ghost and Mr Chicken
    38. Island of Lost Souls
    39. Bohemian Rhapsody
    40. March of the Wooden Soldiers (Laurel & Hardy)
    41. Scrooge
    42. Nicholas Nickleby (2002)
    43. Tale of Two Cities (1935)
    Always glad to see you and other continuing in the contest Iron Maiden, it is always a joy to read what fellow movie fans are able to watch and the time they put into watching to increase their library of personal movies they have seen in Life!

Don't Forget that the 2019 contest just opened up this year and they can give many a fresh start to a new List for a new Year!

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...atched-in-2019!!