Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

And i hope no one starts questioning one's liking or not liking a film. Mister Mets has given his own opinion regarding the films he watched as part of this challenge. I wanted to understand something and asked to clarify that.

The last thing anyone wants is this thread becoming a battleground.

Time for an update. Waited for two weeks instead of one. I watched three films that week. And three is an odd number. Literally. lol.

Happy Death Day (2017): A slasher film with an interesting premise. A young woman in college has to solve the mystery of her own murder. Or else she has to relieve the whole day again and again. Somewhat like Groundhog Day with a murder mystery at the center. I really enjoyed it. Literally anyone could be a killer. It can't be called a horror comedy but it surely has some comedy. The lead actress Jessica Rothe was really good. The whole film was her show and a good reason why the film works so well is due to her performance.

21. The King's Speech (2010): Watched this oscar winner for the first time. Based on the speech impairment of future King George VI as he struggles to overcome it. Acting performances were top notch. I did not know that Colin Firth is so good an actor. I had only seen Kingsman where he was really good. But this is some great acting. Beautiful film to watch. I noted the way its shot. I am impressed. They get these kind of shots at the beginning which makes the whole stage (to give his speech) look so big that we kind of feel like him about how its overwhelming. The film is like that all the way.

Nice to see the Harry Potter actors here including Michael Gambon, Timothy Spall and Helena Bonham Carter. Good performances everywhere. Geofrey Rush and Colin Firth were so good that they would own the screen just by talking to each other. It was really good. I enjoyed it.

22. The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957): Re-watched this all time classic for the second time. Set in the second World War a large group of British prisoners of war are made to construct the eponymous bridge. Anti-war action adventure. Its not as simple as making the bridge. A wonderful performance by Alec Guinness. Its a fascinating film and has a really memorable ending. I like it very much.

23. Black Panther (2018): I think the film was very good. Among the best MCU films in my opinion. Following the story of Prince T'Challa it follows from the events of Civil War(which i love). I am kind of surprised how good it is. Interesting characters, great villain and wonderful world building i was really satisfied with the film. Can't wait to see Black Panther again in IW and am really interested with the sequel. When i like a film in a series very much, my interest on the sequel increases a lot.

24. Before Sunrise (1995): I must admit i was not thrilled with the film as it ended. The ending was frustrating for me personally as there are two more films after this. But taking some time to think what i have seen i can't help but love it. I enjoyed the film a lot, all the way through except at the end. And while i was not thrilled with the ending i must say there can't be a better ending for this story. Before Sunrise is part one of Richard Linklater's Before trilogy, it is a wonderful film.

It has a simplistic premise. Boy meets girl on a train while both were returning home from a vacation to their respective homes. They start talking and decide that since they can spare one day let us spend one day in Vienna before leaving for their homes (they are from entirely different countries). The film has no plot as both of them talk on various subjects like love, philosophy, marriage, religion, etc. as they move from place to place in the city. And its still an immersive film. A romantic film which strips away the romance associated with love stories, as two people gradually fall in love with each other. Its realistic depiction of love is charming. I particularly remember a scene where they are both listening to music in a music booth and steal glances from one another. It feels so real and down to earth.

25. Watched for the first time the Citizen Kane of movies- Citizen Kane (1941). lol.

I enjoyed it. Its amazing how modern it feels for a film which is so old. Orson Welles was awesome. I simply loved his performance. I was surprised to find some funny moments there. I thought such a film would be the most serious affair. Somehow its ingrained that being great and being funny is considered to be different. No, its not funny. But it has some comedic moments in the first half. It has romance and a musical number too. I thought the film was great.

Its technical stuff like camera work, editing, etc. can't be denied. I was surprised by that 'news reel'. It looks like a newsreel shot today only black and white and more artistic. However, its acting performances, story, themes and characters, all such elements combine to make a rich film. I enjoyed it a lot.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-12-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Great Job, Mister Mets!

You have already reached 30!

I have got some cool recommendations. I did not know that they made films in Estonia. There are a lot of good films to watch from around the world.

I am happy you watched 'Magnolia'. I watched it a few years ago and loved it. Its true that the ending feels somewhat strange. That beginning should have been a giveaway. That was weird too. I almost gave up watching after that beginning.

I agree with Julianne Moore's falling apart. I loved her performance. I thought the scenes showing her breakdown were great. She is a wonderful actress. I loved Philip Seymour Hoffman's character. His acting was very good too. And Tom Cruise gave a really good performance. Nowadays he is taking more safer roles. But he is more talented then a number of people give him credit for. I thought Melora Walters performance was great too. One could feel her dilemma. I loved that film.

And you watched Baby Driver too for the first time too. I thought it was wonderful and i agree with your assessment. I thought Ansel Elgort was quite an effective lead. I am yet to be disappointed by an Edgar Wright film. The closest to that was The World's End. But i find even that quite entertaining. His films are just too good.

I agree with your assessment for The Last Jedi. Its a brilliant film. In my opinion the best since the Original Trilogy. But i am risking posting this. As anger of fans for it may follow this thread too. However i have one question? What was the character arc of Leia? I can't see that clearly like say Luke who had the best arc i can imagine. They did nothing that i wanted to see. But i loved whatever they did with his character. Its something similar to Logan don't you think?

I haven't watched a lot of these films yet. Maybe someday soon. Keep up the good work.
    I'm sure any country with its own language and more than a million people has its own films. I'll pay more attention to Estonian film since my family's from there. For the hell of it, I decided to record the source of any foreign films I watch,

I could see similarities with Luke in Last Jedi and Logan in his last film. I know Leia was supposed to have a bigger story in Episode 9, but this still functioned as a sendoff. It started with her in charge of a dying resistance. She demonstrated a connection to the force that suggests untapped potential. When she recovered from her injuries, she knocked out one of her proteges (who was doing the wrong thing for what he thought were the right reasons) and made her peace with a protege who sacrificed herself. She was reunited with Luke, and what the confrontation with Ben meant. At the end, she's still in charge of the Resistance, but it's been sparked again.

And i hope no one starts questioning one's liking or not liking a film. Mister Mets has given his own opinion regarding the films he watched as part of this challenge. I wanted to understand something and asked to clarify that.

The last thing anyone wants is this thread becoming a battleground.
    I don't think we have to worry about that. People seem to understand that these reflect opinions, and that mileage may vary.

My reviews have been pretty positive (the majority are 8/10 or higher) so I should mention that.

I suppose a key factor is selection bias. I'll pick films that have good reputations, that have received or been nominated for major awards (which tends to weed out the amateurish and the ambitious failures.) I'd imagine a major difference for critics is they've got to see everything, and some people here might take more risks. The main films I saw that didn't have fantastic reputations were The Greatest Showman (and I liked the soundtrack before I watched it so I was primed to enjoy it), Kingsmen- The Golden Circle (a sequel to a film I liked), Cruel Intentions, and Get Me Roger Stone (a documentary on politics by people with impressive credentials.) I have enjoyed some films with mixed reputations (The New World.) There's material I'm not inclined to like (The 50 Shades Sequel, the Karl Marx biopic at 54 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, various poorly received Netflix projects, the Clint Eastwood film with amateur actors, the Helen Mirren ghost story at 15 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) but I'm unlikely to bother with those.*It might be helpful to recalibrate a critical understanding with some crappy movies, or take more risks with material that might be terrible and might be fascinating or both, but there are too many alternatives available, with Moviepass, streaming services and reasonably cheap DVDs/ Blu-rays. Why watch a Nicholas Sparks pastiche (a type of film that isn't for me) when there's MCU films I haven't rewatched?

24. Before Sunrise: I must admit i was not thrilled with the film as it ended. The ending was frustrating for me personally as there are two more films after this. But taking some time to think what i have seen i can't help but love it. I enjoyed the film a lot, all the way through except at the end. And while i was not thrilled with the ending i must say there can't be a better ending for this story. Before Sunrise is part one of Richard Linklater's Before trilogy, it is a wonderful film.

It has a simplistic premise. Boy meets girl on a train while both were returning home from a vacation to their respective homes. They start talking and decide that since they can spare one day let us spend one day in Vienna before leaving for their homes (they are from entirely different countries). The film has no plot as both of them talk on various subjects like love, philosophy, marriage, religion, etc. as they move from place to place in the city. And its still an immersive film. A romantic film which strips away the romance associated with love stories, as two people gradually fall in love with each other. Its realistic depiction of love is charming. I particularly remember a scene where they are both listening to music in a music booth and steal glances from one another. It feels so real and down to earth.

25. Watched for the first time the Citizen Kane of movies- Citizen Kane. lol.

I enjoyed it. Its amazing how modern it feels for a film which is so old. Orson Welles was awesome. I simply loved his performance. I was surprised to find some funny moments there. I thought such a film would be the most serious affair. Somehow its ingrained that being great and being funny is considered to be different. No, its not funny. But it has some comedic moments in the first half. It has romance and a musical number too. I thought the film was great.

Its technical stuff like camera work, editing, etc. can't be denied. I was surprised by that 'news reel'. It looks like a newsreel shot today only black and white and more artistic. However, its acting performances, story, themes and characters, all such elements combine to make a rich film. I enjoyed it a lot.
    Before Sunrise's ending is much less ambiguous when you see the sequels. It's a bit odd in that in those essentially turn ambiguous endings into cliffhangers, although the fun is in trying to figure out if you have the same understanding of what the characters will do as Linklater and company.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm sure any country with its own language and more than a million people has its own films. I'll pay more attention to Estonian film since my family's from there. For the hell of it, I decided to record the source of any foreign films I watch,
    I should have known. When people speak of Indian film industry they speak of Bollywood. But even that is but a portion of the films being made. One can argue that India is made up of smaller nations. Its a union of states. Each state with its own language and population (far)more then a million. And each with a rich culture of its own. And apart from Bollywood which makes films in Hindi there are the likes of Marathi, Bengali, Odia, Tamil,etc. Each a language spoken by more then a million and each one has a film industry of its own.

Just because i did not know that other countries make films doesn't mean they aren't being made. You are inspiring me to watch films from my home. Its true that i don't like most of the recent films which i wave away by the words like 'popcorn' entertainment. But that's the case with Hollywood too. One simply needs to find good films to watch. Of course what is good varies from person to person. I will have to find some movie pundit from India. Its scarcely possible to watch all films. Neither is it desirable. I have heard a nice tip. Find a film critic whose tastes aligns with you. Then one is safe. Just read or hear a review and then decide. I will try the same now. In the meantime i will watch some older and recent films which i know are considered good or great. Generally speaking the ones widely acclaimed turn out to be good choices.

I could see similarities with Luke in Last Jedi and Logan in his last film. I know Leia was supposed to have a bigger story in Episode 9, but this still functioned as a sendoff. It started with her in charge of a dying resistance. She demonstrated a connection to the force that suggests untapped potential. When she recovered from her injuries, she knocked out one of her proteges (who was doing the wrong thing for what he thought were the right reasons) and made her peace with a protege who sacrificed herself. She was reunited with Luke, and what the confrontation with Ben meant. At the end, she's still in charge of the Resistance, but it's been sparked again.
    I agree about that. The film while setting up a bigger role for Leia does work as a sendoff. While i am interested in watching the original story as planned before the sad demise of Carrie Fisher (so much so that i won't mind if they recast her for one film), its good enough for a goodbye. When the trilogy started what i wished the most was to see them reunited. Luke, Leia and Han. It did not happen as i wished. But it still happened in a sense. Luke and Leia and Han's memories (dice).

I don't think we have to worry about that. People seem to understand that these reflect opinions, and that mileage may vary.

My reviews have been pretty positive (the majority are 8/10 or higher) so I should mention that.

I suppose a key factor is selection bias. I'll pick films that have good reputations, that have received or been nominated for major awards (which tends to weed out the amateurish and the ambitious failures.) I'd imagine a major difference for critics is they've got to see everything, and some people here might take more risks. The main films I saw that didn't have fantastic reputations were The Greatest Showman (and I liked the soundtrack before I watched it so I was primed to enjoy it), Kingsmen- The Golden Circle (a sequel to a film I liked), Cruel Intentions, and Get Me Roger Stone (a documentary on politics by people with impressive credentials.) I have enjoyed some films with mixed reputations (The New World.) There's material I'm not inclined to like (The 50 Shades Sequel, the Karl Marx biopic at 54 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, various poorly received Netflix projects, the Clint Eastwood film with amateur actors, the Helen Mirren ghost story at 15 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) but I'm unlikely to bother with those.*It might be helpful to recalibrate a critical understanding with some crappy movies, or take more risks with material that might be terrible and might be fascinating or both, but there are too many alternatives available, with Moviepass, streaming services and reasonably cheap DVDs/ Blu-rays. Why watch a Nicholas Sparks pastiche (a type of film that isn't for me) when there's MCU films I haven't rewatched?
    To be honest i was not worried about your post. I was worried about mine. I have read your posts in the challenge last year. That style did not cause any kind of problems. But when i asked a question and gave an opinion in agreement about TLJ, i was worried. That film has brought forth so much passion among fans. Even posting something about the film gives me worries. I may have used thousands of words for the film. Most of the time in arguments.

Before Sunrise's ending is much less ambiguous when you see the sequels. It's a bit odd in that in those essentially turn ambiguous endings into cliffhangers, although the fun is in trying to figure out if you have the same understanding of what the characters will do as Linklater and company.
    I was more bothered by the endgame.

spoilers:

The leads just go their separate ways. A kind of sadness knowing that they are knowingly saying its the last night. In romance one wants to spend time together. Not spend time consciously deciding that one will go away. If i would have made the film i would have ended it with Ethan Hawke's character missing the flight and joining her to Paris and they spark a long term relationship. But then that is the inner romantic speaking. Which misses the point of the film and thus the ending. And one more reason was sequels. Are they supposed to be the same film but simply catching them years later. Years which can change a person and one can make similar films which end in this way. Pointless romance? But i don't know that. A future film can hardly spoil the present film. When i could give some more thought i liked the ending. So, no complaints.
    end of spoilers

So after putting a little more thought i say the film was wonderful. And its mightily impressive too, as its like a Tarantino film. But in Tarantino's films the long dialogues build up to something. That something being usually violence.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-25-2018 at 07:22 PM.

BANNED

11. Silence(1971)

An adaptation of the novel by Shūsaku Endō. It's pretty close to the Scorsese film that came out a few years ago with Adam Driver and Andrew Garfield.

IMG_0804.jpg

12. Intentions of Murder(1964)

Weird Japanese new wave film about a woman who falls in love with the man who raped her.

13. Godzilla(1954)

I liked all the practical effects and miniature setting models.

IMG_0806.jpg

14. Three Outlaw Samurai(1964)

One of the best samurai films I've seen.

15. Bandits vs. Samurai Squadron(1978)

Great action but forgettable.

16. Chungking Express(1994)

I don't watch many Chinese films so this was interesting. It follows a small group of people in Hong Kong. It just shows them living. There's no plot or anything. Very 90s. Loved the soundtrack.

IMG_0805.jpg

17. Sophie Scholl: The Final Days(2006)

Good biopic on Sophie Scholl. They used the real life dialogue between Sophie and her Gestapo interrogators.

18. Red Beard(1965)

It's about a group of doctors who care for the sick and poor. A little too weepy and sentimental for me. I liked it, but it's not my favorite Kurosawa film.

19. Mute(2018)

Dumb sci-fi schlock, but still entertaining.

20. Sword of the Beast(1965)

Cool samurai flick.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 03-16-2019 at 10:03 AM.

I've been updating my films watched on my original post on page 1, as it is easier for me.

Today I hit a milestone with my 25th feature film watched since Feb. 2, with the 1945 version of And Then There Were None.

26. Rope (1948): By Alfred Hitchcock. Its a really interesting experimental film. Two people kill a person and hide his body in a chest. They have to hide the corpse from being discovered by others. A simple plot which is quite an experiment. It looks like its shot in real time. No cuts. No transitions. The film is shot as if its one long shot. And it is set entirely in that apartment. As if we are watching a stage play without interruptions. I did not find it as suspenseful as the potential it had to be with this subject. But i found the film quite good. I liked it.

27. No Country For Old Men(2007): Watched it for the second time. While i really liked it at first watch. I couldn't understand one bit about that ending. The talk about dreams. Or the role of the sheriff's character. Or even why the film is named so? For me it was simply a chilling cat and mouse game. I read a bit about the meaning of its ending. Watched it again after that. Its a fantastic movie. I love it.

28. Eyes Wide Shut (1999): I was a bit surprised. For its reputation of being smutty its a really good film. For a film which is an erotic drama its more drama then erotic. Kubrick did not disappoint. He is a fantastic storyteller and it shows. I liked the way it tells a story. More a story about fidelity and love in a relationship/marriage then sex cults. I liked it a lot. Far from my favorite Kubrick film. But like any film of his, there's something in the atmosphere itself and the story is so well told that i can't help but admire it.

29. Raging Bull (1980): I did not enjoy it so much at first, as i could not follow the involvement of mafia and thus a good part of the plot. But around one-third in, i started to really enjoy it. Its a gripping film about the self destruction of Jake Lamotta. I liked it.

30. On The Waterfront (1954): I loved the film. My only problem might be that the score at times felt a bit overbearing. But i simply loved it. It was a bit jarring to see a young Marlon Brando at first. Vito Corleone, Colonel Kurtz, Jor-El, all were older characters. I loved his character as well as Eva Marie Saint's. Struggle of a flawed man against system wide corruption, it is a powerful film, buoyed by some wonderful acting.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-12-2018 at 10:44 PM.

For my second batch of films, I set some new sub-challenges of five films in a foreign language (French), five films from the same genre (went with two: science fiction and period fantasy) and ten Criterion films, while trying to make sure that I had seen at least two films in each time period.*I thought about doing a five films with the same actor subchallenge with Casey Affleck, since he's been in some acclaimed films I haven't seen, but with the last entry, I did focus a lot on newer stuff thanks to all the Oscarbait in theaters, so it makes sense to stick with subchallengers that fit older material.

Movie #31/ New Movie #21/ 2000s Movie #5/ Documentary #2: Tall: The American Skyscraper and Louis Sullivan
    For whatever reason, this has been playing at the Metrograph, an independent movie theater for over a month, with no signs of stopping. My mom's an architect, and my dad's a history buff with an interesting in urban planning, so this documentary about an architectural rivalry seemed like something worth checking out. It leaves a slightly better impression a month later than when I first saw it, since the divisions covered are illuminating, even if there are flaws in the storytelling.
    6/10

Movie #32/ 1960s Movie #1/ Criterion Edition #2/ French Film #1:*Band of Outsiders
    Like The Graduate, this is probably one of the definitive films about early adulthood. It's a very striking film about aimless wannabe criminals who aren't all that competent, or nice, but do seem believable. It remains entertaining as all hell.
    10/10

Movie #33/ 1940s Movie #1/ Criterion Edition #3: Sullivan's Travels
    A witty comedy about a wealthy artist trying to understand the simple everyday man with a star turn by Veronica Lake as a struggling actress who offers a dose of reality to the lead. The third act features a great twist, and resolution, which is a big part of why the film succeeds so much today.
    9/10

Movie #34/ New Movie #22/ 1930s Movie #1/ Russian Movie #1: Earth
    This guy thinks it's one of the best movies ever made.*I would not go that far. It has some striking visuals and storytelling although it is a bit difficult to divorce the film from its initial purpose of propaganda for one of the worst causes in human history (the Soviet collectivization of farms which led to the Ukrainian famine.)
    7/10

Movie #35/ 2010s Movie #9/ Science Fiction Film #1:*Avengers: Age of Ultron
    It's a slightly arbitrary distinction that I'm counting a film with an evil robot AI as sci-fi and Captain America: Civil War as not, even with the overlap in characters. The sequel that was so difficult that it chased Joss Whedon away from Marvel has plenty to recommend it, with some interesting team dynamics and questions about culpability and human potential, as well as seeds for future films (divisions between the Avengers heading into Civil War, prophecies about Thanos, early references to Wakanda).
    7/10

Movie #36/ New Movie #23/ 2017 Movie #11/ Tom Cruise Film #6 : American Made
    A solid fun film about a hard-partying American (with a perhaps slightly more intense than usual lead performance by Tom Cruise) who gets involved in a messy international conflict on behalf of the US, and later gets betrayed by them.
    8/10

Movie #37/ 2000s Movie #6/ Criterion Edition #4/ Period Fantasy #1: Pan's Labyrinth
    A beautiful film that works on multiple levels, as a fantasy involving the reincarnation of a lost princess, and as a story about a girl caught between rebels and family in Franco's Spain. Probably still Del Toro's best (not a slight on his other work).
    10/10

Movie #38/ New Movie #22/ 2018 Movie #2/ Science Fiction Film #2: Annihilation
    Alex Garland's Ex Machina follow-up is pretty accessible as far as sci-fi mindfuck films go, as a team of female scientists go into a zone where things get weird in interesting ways, although there are some lost opportunities (upon arriving in the zone the next thing they know it's several days later, a point that has implications that aren't explored.)
    8/10

Movie #39/ 1960s Movie #2/ Criterion Edition #5/ French Film #2:*Breathless
    Godard's debut has a film-obsessed minor criminal haphazardly flee authorities and hang out with a girlfriend. Simultaneously enjoyable, and worth examination in terms of technical daring and overall significance.
    9/10

Movie #40/ New Movie #23/ Silent Movie #1: The Haunted Castle
    An early Murnau silent mystery demonstrates how essential sound is to drawing room mysteries. There are some nice sets and camerawork, but the work is largely primitive, with performances that are often over the top, although there are some satisfying twists at the end.
    7/10

Movie #41/ 1930s Movie #2/ Criterion Edition #6: Pygmalion
    Smart script by George Bernard Shaw that very faithfully adapts his play with intense performances by Anthony Asquith and Leslie Howard.
    9/10

Movie #42/ New Movie #24/ 2018 Movie #3: The Death of Stalin
    Interesting mix of Veep style absurdity (by the former showrunner) in a totalitarian dictatorship, where people get killed for stupid reasons. It blends several genres well, especially as it shifts from the ridiculousness of people who don't know what to do after Stalin's death, to a violent coup. Simon Russel Beale's Beria is a nasty villain, going from comically opportunistic to so grotesque that you end up rooting for Buscemi's Khrushchev in the later power struggle.
    8/10

Movie #43/ 1930s Movie #3/ Criterion Edition #7/ French Film #3:*The Rules of the Game
    The reputation of the film might be slightly exaggerated, as it's regularly considered one of the five best films ever made, though it is quite well-made and interesting, and suggests potential greater rewards the next time I watch it. At the very least, it's an excellent country house farce with a cast of unique personalities, all of whom seem to have lives outside the film.
    10/10

Movie #44/ New Movie #25/ 2017 Movie #12/ Estonian Film #2/ Period Fantasy #2: November
    This might have the lowest box office of any film I've seen in an American theater (at least that went into mainstream release) which is a bit disappointing as it is rather decent. The cinematography is gorgeous, and they capture the milieu quite well of 19th Century peasants who live in a world in which magic is real and kinda nasty, starting with a Day of the Dead celebration in which deceased relatives pop up.
    8/10

Movie #45/ 2016 Movie #1:*Captain America: Civil War
    As a comic book geek, I'm probably going to enjoy this more than most, just due to how well the Russo brothers balance characters from at least seven film series in a conflict that features superheroes fighting one another as part of a believable mix of differing motives, manipulation and tragic misunderstandings. It's not the most accessible MCU film, but it may be my favorite.
    9/10

Best of the batch: Honestly, it could be any of the 10/10 films. At the moment, I'll go with Band of Outsiders.

Best film I hadn't seen before: Probably Death of Stalin.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Movie #46/ New Movie #26/ 1990s Movie #4/ Science Fiction Film #3: Total Recall
    This is an interesting 90s sci-fi film with great effects and set designs, and a fun narrative that works on two levels, with all of the experiences of Schwarzenegger's seemingly brainwashed lead, as well as the alternate explanation.
    7/10

Movie #47/ New Movie #27/ 2017 Movie #13: Jumanji- Welcome to the Jungle
    One of the biggest hits of the last year is simply a lot of fun. The idea of teens inhabiting video game characters played by Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Karen Gillen and Dwayne Johnson gives the stars a chance to give a very different type of performance. The villain's not that great, although they set up the rules and well, and the team dynamics are decent.
    7/10

Movie #48/ New Movie #28/ Silent Movie #2/ Criterion Film #8: Häxan/ The Witch
    In terms of genre, it's weird to categorize, perhaps because this was made at a time before these things were defined. It could be plausibly described as a documentary, or horror, or anthology of historical pieces, but it's a satisfying exploration of the myths of witchcraft and the effects, with some impressive early set designs.
    8/10

Movie #49/ 1950s Movie #1/ Criterion Edition #9/ Swedish Film #1/ Period Fantasy #4: The Seventh Seal
    It's weird to think that Bergman made this at the same time as Wild Strawberries, a decent but quite different type of film. He captures the medieval era well, with the memorable death fantasy sequences raising interesting questions about man's search for meaning. The ensemble is distinctive and memorable, with Bibi Anderson and Max Von Sydow demonstrating why they'd go to international stardom.
    10/10

Movie #50/ New Movie #29/ 1960s Movie #3/ Period Fantasy #5: The Masque of Red Death
    This Corman Poe adaptation generally has impressive production values (they were able to use sets from other British prestige pictures) and a villain (a Satanic Italian prince) that fits Vincent Price's scene-chewing persona, with memorable visuals and a good mix of characters.
    7/10

Movie #51/ New Movie #30/ 2010s Movie #10/ Documentary #2/ Estonian Film #3: Disco and Atomic War
    I close out my first challenge (10 films from 2010-2015) with the one Estonian film on Fandor: a documentary about the efforts of Estonians to access Finnish television when they were part of the Soviet Union. The stories about this are satisfying, with terrific examples of human ingenuity and the local results of various international policies, while there are larger questions about free expression and the use of soft power, even if the film is quite pro with both.
    8/10

Movie #52/ New Movie #31/ 2016 Movie #2/ Animated Film #4: Moana
    Another reminder why Pixar continues to be so dominant. The film succeeds on pretty much every level, with a well-realized world (inspired by Polynesian mythology, which isn't that well-represented in film), excellent songs and a strong central narrative of a stubborn princess trying to explore the world and a flawed demigod forced to take big risks. It does seem quite similar to Pixar's Coco (which they had to be working on at the same time) in terms of the conflict between the lead and their parents, although they go in different enough directions that both can remain quite satisfying.
    9/10

Movie #53/ 1940s Movie #2: The Magnificent Ambersons
    Welles' Citizen Kane follow-up has some excellent storytelling, and is surprisingly sympathetic to the lead: a spoiled brat from a rich family.
    8/10

Movie #54/ 1950s Movie #2/ Criterion Edition #10/ French Film #4: Rififi
    A combination of elements makes this one of the best crime films ever. The 30 minute silent robbery sequence is exceptional, the payoff to careful planning that seems believable enough that career criminals have used it as a reference guide. But it goes in some interesting turns after that, as the original crew is drawn organically into a new conflict.
    10/10

Movie #55/ 1990s Movie #5: Bowfinger
    This was at the Metrograph theater as part of a retrospective on Terrence Stamp, who pops up as the leader of a scientology style cult. It's a very funny satire of Hollywood with a hapless film crew trying to make a sci-fi film with the world's biggest star without letting him know he's actually in it.
    8/10

Movie #56/ New Movie #32/ 2018 Movie #4/ Science Fiction Film #4: Ready Player One
    Spielberg's a great director, although on a meta level, an odd choice to direct a film about people influenced by his generation. The storytelling is generally pretty good (not a shocker with arguably the best director ever) in the high stakes hunt for easter eggs in a VR world.
    7/10

Movie #57/ 1970s Movie #3/ Estonian Film #4/ Science Fiction Film #5: The Dead Alpinist's Hotel
    I watched the Estonian sci-fi film again on youtube, now that I know where the mystery was going. There are two distinct parts in the film. The first hour has a good sense of atmosphere and mystery as a detective tries to piece together a conspiracy in a secluded mountain hotel. It takes a sci-fi turn, and explores interesting questions of duty and morality, leading to a satisfying conclusion.
    7/10

Movie #58/ 1960s Movie #4/ Criterion Edition #11/ French Film #5: Jules et Jim
    The French New Wave film about a love triangle where the two men might love one another more than the girl is inventive with freewheeling techniques that maintain the emotional core. It starts with them as young Bohemians, but covers the effects of time, changing affections and the first world war (one of the men is French; the other Austrian.) I'm not sure any movie's been better at depicting the ups and downs of a relationship.
    10/10

Movie #59/ 1980s Movie #3:*Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    Fun noir pastiche in a world in which cartoon characters are real, and trying to make a living like everybody else. The central story is satisfying, and it really excels in the little moments, as clever as the original cartoons.*
    9/10

Movie #60/ New Movie #33/ 1940s Movie #3:*The Stranger
    Welles' most successful box office hit has impressive cinematography and suspense (You might watch it and think it's Hitchcock, but it's not bad Hitchcock) and a daring narrative, as his lead hero is an unrepentant Nazi about to get married to the daughter of a Supreme Court justice.
    7/10

Best of the Batch: Rififi

Best film I hadn't seen before: Moana
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'm am now officially a third of the way through my challenge having watched my 50th film last night: a schlock horror film called Scarecrow Slayer that has nothing to recommend it.

Since i am over 50 films now, lets update. And i think i will start giving scores from now on. Its fun assigning scores. But i don't think scores give the nuance that words do.

31. Paths of Glory (1957) : Watching it was a revelation. I did not enjoy it so much in my first watch. I rarely love a Kubrick film in my first viewing. I have watched it again and its great. What amazes me is this film is so compact, but says so much. I also understood its stellar ending in my second viewing later. Powerful film. 9.5/10

32. Thor The Dark World (2013) : I watched that because i had to see the next one and then Infinity War. It was not bad. Loki as always was a joy to watch. Some good visuals and action. But nothing much to write about. 6/10

33. 12 Angry Men (1957) : 12 jurors go into a case to decide whether a kid is guilty of murdering his father or not. Loved it even more in the second viewing. Brilliant movie. Its made such that there's no special scene or a special performance. But the whole film is special. 9/10

34. Thor: Ragnarok (2017) : Like Paths of Glory i have seen it once again since then. I liked it a lot in my first watch. But the second time i really enjoyed it. I think its among the most re-watchable MCU entries. The only negatives i found were three. I did not like killing off some characters. I am fine with it now. Its Ragnarok. Second, i felt at times that there were tonal problems. And third, it has one of the most infuriating end credit scenes. Positives are too much to list. Suffice to say i love the film. And its among my favorite MCU films. 8/10

35. Rashomon (1950) : The 50s were a Golden age or what? It was my second watch. And its an amazing movie. Story told from four points of view. This has been done a lot of times since. But i don't think the film has lost any of its power. 9/10

36. The Big Lebowski (1998) : The film is weird. But it has style and attitude. And its so fun that i love it. 8.5/10

37. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) : I love this movie. Watching it the second time was even better. It has some of the best scenes in Star Wars i have seen. And its a brilliant film overall. 9/10

38. A Clockwork Orange (1971) : Future dystopian crime masterpiece. I am amazed by the way Kubrick makes such a repulsive character as Alex as the 'good' guy in the film. There's so much care in every action on screen and each frame. Brilliant storytelling. 9.5/10

39. Paths of Glory: This was my second viewing. First time i was shocked by the film. This time i could watch the film and appreciate it for what it is.

40. The Mirror (1975): By Andrei Tarkovsky. It was one of the most challenging films i have seen. It has no plot. Its simply a collection of scenes about the memories of the main character whom we don't actually see in the film. At best, i guess he makes an appearance in the middle, and definitely once at the end with his face obscured. I think most people will go to sleep. And those able to pay attention to it will be left scratching their heads. But i think its a rewarding film. The scenes don't try to tell what or why something happened. Rather the film tries to create the feeling or mood associated with memories. Something similar to a film later in this list. 7.5/10

41. Apocalypse Now (1979) : I liked a bit less in my second watch. Thus, Paths of Glory became my favorite war film. But its a great film. Love it. In my second watch, i noticed a bit more about how 'epic' the film looks and sounds. Any praise falls short. 9/10

42. Citizen Kane (1941) : I shall place the film in my top 20 films of all time. Its simply exceptional. So, many things combine to make such a brilliant and satisfying film. Nothing is wasted. One example of what i noticed this time. The newsreel is going on, while the narrator starts telling about how his empire was getting weaker and he was loosing his influence. That was along with a clipping showing him putting cement in some kind of ceremony to start the construction of a building. In contrast, to the earlier clips, here he looked a bit lost and confused. Its subtle and easy to miss. But its so fitting. 9.5/10

43. Thor: Ragnarok

44. The Mirror

45. Ten Commandments (1956) : They don't make films like these anymore. After watching this and a couple of more films, i will agree. It was very good. Epic is the word to describe the life of Moses. And Charlton Heston was really up to the task. A film for the ages. 8/10

46. Vertigo (1958) : Again what is with the 50s? I simply adore this movie. Mind blowing. Amazing. Words fall short to describe it. Alfred Hitchcock was a mad genius. Who else can play games with the audience like this? Among the most satisfying films i have seen in years. 9.5/10

47. Wild Strawberries (1957) : My first Ingmar Bergman film. And it was incredible. Story is not much. An old doctor instead of taking a plane, makes a road trip with his daugther-in-law to get an honorary award. And while making the journey he goes through an inner journey. A look into his life, love, regrets as well as impending death. In a way its bleak. But its also heart touching. 9.5/10

48. Lolita (1962) : Depend on Kubrick to make uncomfortable films. Its the worst film of Kubrick i have seen so far. Which is to say its still a good film. I thought its first half was strong. But it sort of lost its way later. Maybe because what was happening off screen. Or maybe it was plain boring. But overall it was a good film. Peter Sellers being the highlight. 6.5/10

49. Wild Strawberries

50. The Tree of Life (2011) : Somewhat esoteric film. And i would be lying if i say i have fully understood the film. But even then i love the film. I watched it once and half of it again. I think its one of the best films of this decade. Not everyone will like it. But those with patience will be amply rewarded. This was similar to The Mirror in showing memories. This was better imo as the visuals were more gorgeous. Not due to any fault of Tarkovsky. And since 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my top 3 films of all time, i like this film quite a bit due to their similarities. I thought 2001 tries to tell the story of mankind. While Tree of Life tells that of all life through the prism of a small family. My estimate of the film can only rise more. For now i say 9/10.

51. Hacksaw Ridge (2017) : This film was spectacular. Based on real life this film tells about a conscientious objector in US army, during Second World War who served as medic and was awarded for his bravery. War hero who did not shoot one bullet. Andrew Garfield was a revelation. I knew him from the Spider-man films. He was good there, but i did not not know he could act this well. 9.5/10

52. Infinity War (2018) : Infinity War was too good. Its amazing in how it balances so many characters while bringing Thanos to the bring screen. And Wow! Thanos was all worth the wait. He easily becomes one of the best comic book villains in superhero films ever. Fantastic action. Wonderful character interactions. Great balance of comedy as well as the sense of dread and impending doom. I think it gets into my top five MCU films. 8.5/10

53. The Last Jedi

54. Seventh Seal (1957) : A medieval knight from the days of plague, plays a game of chess with Death personified. Great visuals. Sometimes funny, at times horrific its great. Loved seeing the middle ages and its horrors created on screen. Some scenes are really powerful. 9/10
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.

For my third batch of films, I picked new challenges with five films by the same director (Hitchcock), five films in the same genre (musical), five films from another country (Italy) and five films connected by a theme: in this case, five directorial debuts, because I'm interested in how people in film choose to do their first projects. At this point, I also aimed to be at least four films into each yearly category.

Movie #61/1930s Movie #4/ Criterion Edition #12/ Hitchcock Film #1:*The 39 Steps
    The early Hitchcock thriller suffers a bit from technical issues, and some plot-induced stupidity, but it does put the lead through some fun situations and has some decent twists. It has influenced some better movies in later decades (Hitchcock's North by Northwest, the 1990s The Fugitive) but it's still enjoyable.
    8/10

Movie #62/ New Movie #34/ Silent Movie #3/ Directorial Debut #1/ Russian Film #2: Strike
    Eisenstein's debut has striking imagery and sequences, taking advantage of the resources (large groups of extras, interesting 1920s factories) to show major political developments, giving the revolution an epic scale.
    9/10

Movie #63/ New Movie #35/ 1960s Movie #5/ Criterion Edition #13/ Directorial Debut #2/ Musical #1:*Head

This is part of Criterion's BBS Blu-Ray collection, and the first film from the studio that produced Easy River, Five Easy Pieces and The Last Picture Show. The Monkees film is a just a mess, seeming to be a combination of sketch comedy and modern museum video performance art project, which would be fine if any of it were good.
    3/10

Movie #64/ New Movie #36/ 2017 Movie #15/ Directorial Debut #3:*The Lego Batman Movie

Chris McKay's solo film debut is an inventive take on the Batman and Robin story, providing a narrative spine about a loner learning to work together to inspired gags and sequences for a parody and celebration of the dark knight.
    7/10

Movie #65/ New Movie #37/ 2017 Movie #16:*Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

It's not terrible, as the effects and sets are decent, and there are solid action sequences, but it's a weaker film than any of the original trilogy, with a villain that isn't all that interesting, and little new for Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow. The male lead is generic, although Kaya Scodelario's astronomy buff is better, even if she's a bit generic in this type of film.
    6/10

Movie #66/ New Movie #38/ 2018 Movie #5: Game Night

Decent comedy about sibling rivalry, and mistaken identity, as an ordinary game-obsessed couple comes into conflict with career criminals. Winning performances by Rachel McAdams, and Jason Bateman as the central couple, and Kyle Chandler, as the always one-upping brother whose story takes some decent twists.
    7/10

Movie #67/ New Movie #39/ 2018 Movie #6: Chappaquidick
    I can't help but think this film would have been made forty years ago if it was about a Republican Senator. It is a decent character study of a man who screws up in a terrible way, and a procedural about the inevitable cover-up. Good performances, and it's also an effective conversation starter.
    8/10

Movie #68/ New Movie #40/ 2016 Movie #3/ Criterion Edition #14:*Personal Shopper
    It's a weird film that might be trying to do a bit too much, although it has a terrific performance by Kristen Stewart as a woman dealing with a lot (she's a professional psychic trying to get a sign from her deceased brother, something terrible happens to an employer, she starts getting voyeuristic texts.)
    7/10

Movie #69/* 1960s Movie #6/ Criterion Edition #15/ Directorial Debut #4:*Night of the Living Dead
    Romero's genre-inventing independent film holds up, introducing some of the most iconic monsters in film, while suggesting very ably that humans might be worse. The extras on the Criterion collection are quite illuminating on how he was able to get so much done with limited resources.
    9/10

Movie #70/ New Movie #41/ 2018 Movie #7: The Endless
    This is an interesting horror film that has some effective world-building, establishing a mystery with some decent payoffs, although the conflict of the characters (two brothers who left a cult as teenagers, and have been unable to find success in their adult lives) isn't as well-developed and often tonally off.
    7/10

Movie #71/ New Movie #42/ 2018 Movie #8: Isle of Dogs
    Impressive stop-motion film that has solid animation, a witty script and astounding voice cast. Not Wes Anderson's best, but a good reminder of his talents.
    8/10

Movie #72/ Criterion Edition #16/ Silent Movie #4: The Passion of Joan of Arc
    This might remain the best silent movie I've ever seen, a film that just isn't like anything else, due to the focus on the the last moments in the life of Joan of Arc, as she faces her greatest struggle, the script largely based on the actual trial transcripts, and the artistic decisions Carl Theodore Dreyer that strip anything that isn't essential tot he story, and focus as much as possible on the powerful performance of Maria Falconetti. It's unclear that anyone has ever been better.
    10/10

Movie #73/ 2000s Movie #7/ Musical #2: Chicago
    The musical adaptation has great production values, songs, and cast (four Oscar nominated performances and it could easily have been five- poor Richard Gere) and a messed up take on celebrity culture.
    9/10

Movie #74/1950s Movie #3/ Hitchcock Film #2: Rear Window
    It might not even be Hitchcock's top three, although I can't think of any director who clearly has a better fourth best film. It's a clever concept as a convalescing photographer recovering from his injuries notices a potential mystery in his building. That part's executed really well, while there's also Jimmy Stewart as the lead- likable but a bit flawed, Grace Kelly as the ice queen girlfriend who wants him to settle down, and the stories of everyone else in the apartments.
    10/10

Movie #75/ New Film #43/ 1980s Movie #5/ Italian Film #1: Cinema Paradiso
    A really-well made film about the power of cinema and fantasy that incorporates specific developments in Italy (censors forbidding the depiction of any kissing, classified information about war dead, a complex massive lottery system) while covering the great artist as a young boy (kind of a brat), young man falling in love with a girl outside his station, and legend returning home.*
    9/10

Movie #76/ 1960s Movie #7/ Criterion Edition #17/ Italian Film #2: La Dolce Vita
    An excellent film on many levels. Structurally, it's quite interesting, a largely episodic take on the life of an Italian reporter hobnobbing with the rich and powerful, in stories that vary in tone, from fun to pathetic to absolutely shocking. His famed night with Anita Ekberg's flighty starlet is a smaller role than I remembered from the one time I saw the film, although it's definitely memorable. I've never seen a film that is so effective at burying the character arc, so that it comes out in the intersection of the episodes. It holds up to deep study, but doesn't require it.
    10/10

Movie #77/1940s Movie #4/ Hitchcock Film #3:*Rope
    A decent thriller where the characters' amorality is a bit extreme, but it often makes excellent use of the one-shot gimmick.*
    8/10

Movie #78/ New Film #44/ 1960s Movie #8/ Italian Film #3/ Directorial Debut #5: Black Sunday
    Mario Bava's debut is a creepy take on witches and haunted lineages. It's very dark and moody, stark, overdramatic and fun. Technically, Bava had directed earlier films, developing a reputation for saving troubled projects after the original directors ran away.
    8/10
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Movie #79/ New Movie #45/ 2018 Movie #9: A Quiet Place
    It's a film that shows quite well the day to day life of a family in a messed up environment, with unusually excellent performances for the genre, and tough questions on meaning and purpose.
    8/10

Movie #80/ 2016 Movie #4/ Musical #3: La La Land
    The Hollywood romance has catchy songs, great costumes and design, winning central performances, and is about something, even if that topic (artistic independence) might come across as increasingly indulgent on a second viewing. Still pretty good, and the parts that are a bit annoying aren't necessarily unrealistic.
    9/10

Movie #81/1940s Movie #5/ Hitchcock Film #4:*Saboteur
    It's definitely lesser Hitchcock (the great master admits as much in Hitchcock/ Truffaut) as the story of an innocent man on the run (a common theme Hitchcock typically does better) is combined with clumsy World War 2 era jingoism, which isn't the best fit for a story about how the right thing to do is to ignore the authorities and help out the guy who seems nice.
    6/10

Movie #82/ New Movie #46/ 2018 Movie #10: Avengers Infinity War
    This is a weird film to consider because it can't really be judged in the most basic way: as a standalone film. Instead, it's essentially the first part of the conclusion to a decade-long saga spread out across 22 films, as well as the beginning of a decent adaptation of Jim Starlin's cosmic Marvel comics. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but have a different context for it than most filmgoers. As the beginning of a movie equivalent of an event comic, it works pretty well giving most of the heroes decent moments, while keeping the focus on Thanos after years of build-up (and keeping it interesting- imagine the disappointment if he hadn't been one of the best MCU villains.) Some of this clearly seeds moments in the sequel, although I appreciate how the generic Thanos henchmen serve as the equivalent of mini-bosses, so the heroes accomplish something in this film. And the big moment does deliver.
    9/10

Movie #83/ 1940s Movie #6/ Hitchcock Film #5: Shadow of a Doubt
    There are parts of the take on small town American life that seem over the top in unintended ways (everyone's eager to hear a visitor from New York give a speech, dramatic revelations are made at inappropriate times, a sociopath with really strange views goes undetected) although the general story of a teen girl realizing her beloved uncle is a sociopath and trying to figure out how to communicate this to anyone is elevated by the combination of small-town life and noir sensibility, Hitchock's use of tension, and the performances by Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotton.
    9/10

Movie #84/ New Movie #47/ 1970s Movie #4/ Musical #4: Fiddler on the Roof
    Exceptional musical, that works with the strength of the material, the cast, and the central story of a Jewish family adjusting to change in Czarist Russia.
    9/10

Movie #85/ New Movie #48/ 2016 Movie #5/ Musical #5: Popstar Never Stop Never Stopping
    Decent satire of the modern music industry elevated by the quality of Lonely Island's absurd riffs (The Bin Laden song), and the payoff to some jokes (the quickchange disaster being a highlight.)
    7/10

Movie #86/ 1950s Movie #4/ French Film #6/ Criterion Edition #18: Pickpocket
    The story of a young man compelled to commit petty crimes is stylistically quite daring, and worth deeper examination in the complex decisions made by the characters. The mechanics of how the pickpockets operate is a highlight.
    9/10

Movie #87/ New Movie #49/ Silent Movie Era #5/ Directorial Debut #6: Nanook of the North
    The context is a bit weird, since it was essentially a prototype for two types of films: the documentary, as well as a sustained narrative starring amateur actors. It's a fascinating spotlight of a very different culture (the Eskimo about a hundred years ago) with personality and strong visuals.
    9/10

Movie #88/ 1960s Movie #9/ Criterion Edition #19/ Italian Film #4: 8 1/2
    One of the best films ever about the creative process, as well as one of the best films ever about a person's inner life (granted, you probably can't have the former without the latter). An excellent cast, and some truly inspiring twists.
    10/10

Movie #89/ New Film #50/ 1980s Movie #6: The Karate Kid
    An excellent underdog sports movie, where the best part is the friendship between the kid (an Italian from New Jersey who has to go to California) and his mentor. Some of the moments seem kind of obvious, although that's largely because of the impact of the film, and how it has permeated the culture (IE- the wax on/ wax off training.)
    9/10

Movie #90/ 1970s Movie #5/ Italian Film #5: The Conformist
    Beautifully shot film about a man who just wants to be ordinary, but who has the bad fortune to live in Fascist Italy.
    9/10

Best Film I Hadn't Seen Before: Cinema Paradiso

Best Film overall: The Passion of Joan of Arc

Most Disappointing Film: Head

Best Musical: La La Land

Best Italian Film: La Dolce Vita (they were all good)

Best Directorial Debut: Night of the Living Dead

Best Hitchcock: Rear Window
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

21. Cruel Gun Story (1964)

22. The Hidden Fortress (1962)

23. Immortal Love (1960)

24. Blade of the Immortal (2017)

25. A Legend or Was It? (1963)

26. The Scandalous Adventures of Buraikan (1970)

27. Youth of the Beast (1963)

28. Late Autumn (1973)

29. Bartleby (2002)

30. Black River (1957)

31. Billy Budd (1962)

32. A Funeral Parade of Roses (1968)

33. We Think the World of You (1987)

34. When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (1963)

35. Death by Hanging (1971)

36. Take Aim at the Police Van (1959)

37. Fires on the Plain (1958)

38. Paris is Burning (1990)

39. Lincoln (2012)

40. The Battle of Chosin (2016)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I have been very far behind in this but a bit of an update so I'll just expand the original list here before I forget! I know I missed some and I'm going to have to keep a notepad by the TV!

Older films

It's a Gift - W.C Fields comedy gold
    True Grit (John Wayne)
    Black Narcissus - directed by Michael Powell and most notable for the stunning Oscar winning photography by Jack Cardiff. Bonus: The beserk nun played by Kathleen Byron.
    Garden of Evil - Western starring Gary Cooper, Richard Widmark and Susan Hayward. Early example of CinemaScope used by 20th Century Fox and one of the few westerns that Bernard Herrmann scored.

New (release 2017 or 2018)
    The Shape of Water
    Gifted
    Black Panther
    Avengers: Infinity War
    The Quiet Place
    Atomic Blond
    Alien : Covenant
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-15-2018 at 06:46 AM.