Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default (RUMOR) Peter Tomasi may be taking over Detective Comics?

According to Bleeding Cool, Peter Tomasi will be taking over Detective Comics after his Superman run ends. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...ective-comics/

Thoughts on this? As a Tomasi fan, I'm kinda sad he is going back to a batman book.

Makes a lot of sense. It seems to be where his passion lies, or at the very least, where he's most comfortable.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

And just days ago the same was rumored of Bendis. I don't buy it. Tynion has been very vocal and adamant about wanting to stay on up until and past #1000, and as far as I know that hasn't changed. Plus there's no clear reason to make the switch now.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    And just days ago the same was rumored of Bendis. I don't buy it. Tynion has been very vocal and adamant about wanting to stay on up until and past #1000, and as far as I know that hasn't changed. Plus there's no clear reason to make the switch now.
    Some speculation that Tynion might be to busy for 'Tec with his invovement in No Justice and the following Justice League re-alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Some speculation that Tynion might be to busy for 'Tec with his invovement in No Justice and the following Justice League re-alignment.
    I know, but I don't see why that should be so. He's not the only writer on that, and when that starts I don't think his slate of books is going to be too much bigger than he's had before, and may even be smaller for all I know. And again, if this conflicted with 'Tec, would he have taken it? I don't see any evidence of that.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

A year ago I would've been stoked by this rumor, but I've cooled on Tomasi following the mediocrity that has been the last half of Superman Rebirth. Tomasi has the same strengths and weaknesses as Tynion. He is passionate about characters and has a good voice for them, but is a weak plotter, though I happen to prefer the same characters as Tomasi rather than Tynion. My only hope is the Detective Comics gets back to small-scale detective stories.

There is plenty of room to improve though.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 02-02-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Well he has experience with Batman before. And he likes writing Robin so maybe this will be a good fit for him. That way he can write all the Batman and Robin team ups he wants

I think 'Tec is selling well enough that DC would probably feel good about keeping Tynion unless they had to take him off for some inexplicable reason.

But if they did move Tomasi onto the book, I expect it would shift directions again, though I'm curious to see what he'd do with the title.

I think, as far as Tomasi is concerned, him sticking with Super Sons is probably the safest bet.

Fantastic Member

He could just be filling in for awhile.

He did great on Superman. Im game.

Quote Originally Posted by EMarie View Post
    He could just be filling in for awhile.
    Well, he would be used to that by now .

I remember his fill-ins from Gordon's Robobat tenure. He did the Justice League team-up.

I didn't like Tomasi's Batman & Robin arc prior to the New 52; I did not enjoy his Batman & Robin run during the New 52; I wasn't at all interested in his Detective Comics run at the end of the New 52; I really don't know if I'd be happy to learn he's taking over a Batman title again!

BANNED

I'd like to see Tomasi on another Batbook, liked his stuff.

Astonishing Member

Then again there wasn't much cause to remove both Tomasi from Superman or Jurgens from Action - they've been doing well enough, but big shuffle finagle famous writer blah blah blah happens and voila, reshuffle.

Detective is the weird sort of mega title where these Batman Family/Gotham Knights stories could spin out into their own title by Tynion (or just turn into Young Justice, I guess), and a new run could be set up in Detective itself. Happens with Bat-Books all the freakin' time actually - Morrison runs in Batman, then launches a new book, Batman and Robin, leaving Batman to a new writer. Then leaves Batman and Robin as well to a new writer as he launches yet another book, Incorporated. Incorporated was meant to be a more limited run one things, Batman and Robin continued on a long time, but did finally end, yes.

Snyder's Batman run started in Detective, then he traded with Tony Daniel for Batman, ran long, then launched a new All-Star Batman book. And now Metal. And whatever the Last Knight follow-up to All-Star is. Meanwhile, new writer takes over Batman.

Even back further, like, Brubaker writes Batman, spins out a new Catwoman solo and Gotham Central, but stops writing Batman itself. So on, so forth.

So "Tynion writes Detective, spins out his "mega-arc" into a new title, somebody else takes over Detective" is hardly new. Hell, Tomasi himself did the same thing in ultra-recent history ... with sister titles of that title! He pops into Nightwing alongside Morrison's Batman run for a stint, launching a tone, then takes over the Batman and Robin run (barring a few guest writer spots) from Morrison and both continues Morrison ideas but also starts building his own concepts. He leaves that title for Superman books (while his creative partner, Gleason continues for a spell with Damian) ... but TAKES his concepts WITH HIM. Hellbat appears in Superman title. Moreover ... Super Sons launches, and Tomasi has his cake and eats it too, as Super Sons is a sequel to both his Superman books AND his Batman books. Combined.

So yeah, I've ranted. But this is easily a thing I can see happening.

My bigger question is, if Tomasi takes over Detective, what will he do that's different? Will he use the "Detective" brand to tell a different kind of story? Will he continue using his toys from his other recent runs? Continue in the "I play well with Geoff and Grant's ideas AND have my own concepts to contribute to their big ideas" approach? Or could he surprise us with something rather different? Hard to say. Is that a gamble I'd want to see render Tynion's run over and done with and possible shunt off the Gotham Knights/Family storyline into some other form or discontinue it? NO.

But if Tomasi writes a Bat-book I'll still read it.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This is absolutely my worst case scenario, not only because I love Tynion's current run unreservedly, but because Tomasi is literally the person I want on ANY OTHER book. And the reason for that is simple: Steph and Cass. Tomasi's demonstrated in the past that he doesn't like either of them, so they would instantly be erased. And I don't know if I could handle a third erasure of Steph.

The counter to that is that October 2017, Gleason said he wanted to be on Superman till #100, and now they're not even going to make #50. Tynion's been a lot more public about his 1000 goal, and it's a lot closer, but still. It's over a year away, and he is overloading himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Yeah. He's doing Immortal Men, tons of Metal stuff, and almost certainly tons of NOPE JUSTICE stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Detective is the weird sort of mega title where these Batman Family/Gotham Knights stories could spin out into their own title by Tynion (or just turn into Young Justice, I guess), and a new run could be set up in Detective itself. Happens with Bat-Books all the freakin' time actually - Morrison runs in Batman, then launches a new book, Batman and Robin, leaving Batman to a new writer. Then leaves Batman and Robin as well to a new writer as he launches yet another book, Incorporated. Incorporated was meant to be a more limited run one things, Batman and Robin continued on a long time, but did finally end, yes.

My bigger question is, if Tomasi takes over Detective, what will he do that's different? Will he use the "Detective" brand to tell a different kind of story? Will he continue using his toys from his other recent runs? Continue in the "I play well with Geoff and Grant's ideas AND have my own concepts to contribute to their big ideas" approach? Or could he surprise us with something rather different? Hard to say. Is that a gamble I'd want to see render Tynion's run over and done with and possible shunt off the Gotham Knights/Family storyline into some other form or discontinue it? NO.

But if Tomasi writes a Bat-book I'll still read it.
    If Tomasi takes over Tec, literally the FIRST thing I expect is you will never see Steph or Cass, or even hear them mentioned, from his very first issue. And I'll be dropping it instantly.

If Tynion spins off Tec into a Gotham Knights book, that wouldn't be too bad - I'd just follow him there - I'm into the team, not the title (and the writer, actually - I'm a big Tynion fan). But I don't see why his performance would justify it. I could, however, see how his workload would justify it - and honestly, I'd kind of rather him spin off a monthly Gotham Knights book instead of getting Sebela or someone to do a bunch of fill-ins.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord