Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I'm alright with this. Tynion did a great job on 'Tec. But I think Tomasi can do even better. If his 'Tec run is as good as his B&R run, then we will all be loving it.
    Sad to say, I'd have to differ. Much as I can see the skill that it took to do his Batman and Robin run, there's two things that keep me from anticipating a Tomasi Tec run - 1) unless there's been a massive change in his attitude, he's going to erase Steph and Cass; 2) I really, really dislike the way he lets Damian and Bruce get away with bad behavior. There's an element of growth, but he never seems to realize as a writer that they are doing bad things to other people. An element of character elitism - they're so awesome, they can get away with it. And I hate that way of writing Batman.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Sad to say, I'd have to differ. Much as I can see the skill that it took to do his Batman and Robin run, there's two things that keep me from anticipating a Tomasi Tec run - 1) unless there's been a massive change in his attitude, he's going to erase Steph and Cass; 2) I really, really dislike the way he lets Damian and Bruce get away with bad behavior. There's an element of growth, but he never seems to realize as a writer that they are doing bad things to other people. An element of character elitism - they're so awesome, they can get away with it. And I hate that way of writing Batman.
    Could you list some examples? I can think of a few relating to the fallout of Damian's death.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Could you list some examples? I can think of a few relating to the fallout of Damian's death.
    Yeah, Bruce was a big jerk in the aftermath of robin's death, but I can't remember what else he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That is the big one. He did apologize eventually, but it was very small in the face of a year of incredibly immoral behavior. Damian also tends to go for the cheap mean joke in Super Sons these days. There are redeeming and sympathetic motivations, but they aren't as well balanced as I can really have a full appreciation of his work.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

That is the big one. He did apologize eventually, but it was very small in the face of a year of incredibly immoral behavior. Damian also tends to go for the cheap mean joke in Super Sons these days. There are redeeming and sympathetic motivations, but they aren't as well balanced as I can really have a full appreciation of his work.
    But Bruce wasn't getting away with it. We the reader are made to dislike him when he interacted with Tim, Barbara and Jason. He even does things that could be considered immoral and is called out on it. Its not like say TDKSA or All Star Batman. Heck even King's Batman just does stupid unlikable things and gets away because he's Batman.
    Jon responds to Damian in kind in Super Sons. Even hitting him at times. Plus there was an issue where Damian became an old guy and everyone was making a fool out of him. Super Sona of Tomorrow had him looking out for Jon and even tried to get him on TT while certain other Titans were busy helping a murderous Tim from the future.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Damian has the rough end of the stick on Supersons so not sure what your talking about.
    In B&R the only thing was Bruce's grief stricken behaviour after Damian's death those are not the time that's one time.

I don't mind Tomasi on Tec but would rather A new B&R or Gleason on RSOB however I think Tec is the more desperate cause. Someone needs to recuse Tim and Steph from the pen of Tynion. That book is becoming unreadable.

Always Rakzo

Can't be worse than Tynion (and Tomasi himself is hit and miss).

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Can't be worse than Tynion (and Tomasi himself is hit and miss).
    Between those two, though . . . I'd rather have Tony S. Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Between those two, though . . . I'd rather have Tony S. Daniel.
    Really? Huh. I thought Daniel was reasonably fun, but really derivative and shallow. Tomasi and Tynion both tend to be at least one level up from his ability to actually write character.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

He did a great work on Superman and that's the franchise where he should stay.
    Robin Rises and Batman and Robin are exactly what i don't want to be a Batman book.
    It would be a nightmare to me. Anyway Tynion has to go.
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 02-04-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    He did a great work on Superman and that's the franchise where he should stay.
    Robin Rises and Batman and Robin are exactly what i don't want to be a Batman book.
    It would be a nightmare to me. Anyway Tynion has to go.
    I disgree that Tynion has to go, but I'm very interested to hear what your issues with Batman and Robin and the Robin Rises arc were.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I disgree that Tynion has to go, but I'm very interested to hear what your issues with Batman and Robin and the Robin Rises arc were.
    The batman I like is the most realistic one, street fight against villains without superpowers.
    Batman fighting Darkseid to rescue Damian corpse and ressurect it or Damian with superpowers is not the kind of thing i can tolerate.
    Generally Tomasi's style is too extreme on Batman for my tatstes, instead it fits very well on Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    The batman I like is the most realistic one, street fight against villains without superpowers.
    Batman fighting Darkseid to rescue Damian corpse and ressurect it or Damian with superpowers is not the kind of thing i can tolerate.
    Generally Tomasi's style is too extreme on Batman for my tatstes, instead it fits very well on Superman.
    Hmm. You make a good point. I like the IDEA of Batman fighting for his son, but the Robin Rises arc was pretty cosmic (and goofy).

Astonishing Member

Chris Priest on Detective, please.

Mighty Member

I like Tomasi, but I'd rather they give a less established and fresher name a shot. Someone like Ales Kot or Chelsea Cain or Rob Williams or Dennis Hopeless or Tim Seeley, James Asmus..
    I think DC's reliance on the same old names has been holding them back for a while. I'm all for keeping the old guys around, but I'd like to see someone besides the usual suspects get Detective.
    My first choice would be keeping Tynion on, though.