Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Black Panther and Storm: A bad idea?

This article talks about Chris Claremont's thoughts on the couple:
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/chris-clarem...orm-1822598048

In my opinion, this was Marvel's attempt at having a prominent black superhero. Intent was good, execution was weak and not-thought out at all. The ending of those two only underscored this. Marvel needs to put more thought into their relationships, period.

I think the relationship was perfectly fine. Marriage was logistically a potential problem. I was never against the idea, but realistically it only worked if everyone was on the same page. I think them being a couple without necessarily marrying them is the way to go.

Thing is it would of worked had x office supported it.
    They claimed they had big plans for Storm after she was wallpaper for years, they got her back, gave her a new role, had Characters shade throw on her then she gave up her role to kitty. Then went back to wallpaper. Hudlin's only issue is that it was rushed a little. But Marvel didn't support it. But because of Bp, Storm got another shot at a solo. BP did more for her then x office did in years

I think the past is the past and with the marriage being over both characters should move on with other love interests.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It was a bad idea from the start. It added nothing to either character in the long run and just meandered along.

Ultimate Member

They got married because they're both black as Hudlin admitted later on so the marriage was messed up from the start and didn't really do Storm any favors...

This is what I posted in the X- Thread

It’s a good idea in theory but bad idea long term. T’Challa and his world would never and and could never fit into the X-Universe and visa versa with Storm.

Problem is Storm could do a lot more and have a higher profile if she had a segway purpose or character to draw her out of the X-Universe. Storm would have been much better off paired with another character who can slide into the X- Men and out of it if need be.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This is what I posted in the X- Thread
    Storm was getting out of x verse. With BP she: got a Solo, joined the Avenger's, joined the FF. They could of cross over Wakanda stories with mutant stories. X office didn't play ball. Marvel caved and let AvX give a world star hip hop ending that was ooc for both parties. They had actual history together, they weren't just thrown together cause they were Black. Hudlin followed up Claremont and Priest interactions.

That being said, It doesn't matter BP is rising and I don't want him with Storm anymore because nothing good comes from it. He needs to move on to bigger better things like his MCU counter part is doing

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I understand the appeal of those two powerful, important and popular african characters together and why Marvel and fans felt drawn to it at the beginning. It had potential, but it just wasn't executed in any way that really convinced me they were the it couple that Marvel was trying to sell. In the end, it just felt like a gimmick to me; like the idea of them together was bigger than the relationship itself. And AvX made it very clear that X-Men was always going to be a priority to Storm (as it probably should, honestly), so in the bigger scheme of things, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. At least not as a committed, stable and long-term marriage. Maybe a casual relationship where one of them gets to guest star in the other's book every now and then would've worked better.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I never had a problem with the marriage and I thought it made for some interesting stories, but I didn't think it was sustainable. The only way it could have worked indefinitely is if they renamed the book as Black Panther & Storm and moved Storm out of the X-Office aside from guest appearances.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

It wasn't a bad idea at all, it was how it went down that gave folks the impression. It was rushed. I dunno who's bright idea it was to have them get married during the Civil War story smh. Had they had them date for some years first, let them develop as a couple then tie the knot, but nah... Marvel was probably just greedy for instant sales.

I'm still holding out for Storm and Bishop though if Marvel decides to keep T'Challa and Storm apart.

I don't think Claremont is necessarily wrong, but I find it ironic considering he was the first to pair them up.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I don't think Claremont is necessarily wrong, but I find it ironic considering he was the first to pair them up.
    I don't care if he was the first to pair 'em up, I disagree with him on why it wouldn't work. Storm could easily have a team of her choosing based out of Wakanda. Limbo/Hell, Australia, Weapon X facilities... the X-Men set up shop in the most random of places, it wouldn't even be out of the ordinary. T'Challa can do his thing in his title, Storm could do hers in hers. That way nobody plays 2nd fiddle to nobody.

No, it was a good idea that wasn't use to its full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    No, it was a good idea that wasn't use to its full potential.
    Yeah. This, now it's too late and it should be let go. Tchalla should be allowed to move on instead of being shackled to Storm while she gets passed on as exotic ass for whatever mutant that month