Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    If anyone read the McDuffie & Liss depictions of the couple, they will see how much of a sense of humor Storm had when interacting with T'Challa.

The pair could be funny, when written properly.
    Yeah, at times they could be a lot of fun. The hair pulling scene is still probably my favorite scene with them. Storm definitely brought out a funnier side out of BP under the right writer. I think we need to see more of that.

Extraordinary Member

Storm is normally so serious, so it was unusual that being around (the ultra-serious) T'Challa brought out her jovial side.

I actually think the eventual MCU film featuring the two will be quite the sells draw, featuring a nice blend of action, romance, politics, social commentary, and even comedy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    It's interesting that Coates had Black Panther talk about rushing Storm into marrying him, and caging her. I wonder if this was his way of addressing the way Hudlin wrote their relationship, and how he kept Storm out of the x-books.

I totally agree. Coates did a lot to repair the damage that was done to their union. This scene could definitely be interpreted as a way of smoothing over their rushed marriage. Coates really has a way of highlighting what makes them great together and polishing the not so bright spots. I absolutely love what he's done for them.
    How much of a role do you really think Black Panther or Wakanda are going to play in Red, besides presumably being why Gentle is on the team?

And it's not that it was a bad idea, it's just that Hudlin executed it horribly.
    See my response above. I've never denied that their marriage was rushed. Not saying you did, but I don't like when people tell lies and say they barely interacted with one another.

Anyway, on to your first point. The point that I'm making that T'Challa will now and always have a role amongst the X-Men. It's ridiculous to deny his ties to the team. Nehzno is Wakandan and Wakanda is defined by T'Challa. Storm was queen of Wakanda and she and Gentle will forever share a common bond or link that no two other X-Men share and that's T'Challa. Storm and Nehzno's bond was established in Worlds Apart. And that mini series set the stage for a new status quo for Storm. A status quo that is being given to Jean Grey. So the short answer: with a former Wakandan Queen and a Wakandan citizen on the team, T'Challa will always have a "role" or "presence" amongst the X-Men. The truth is what it is. Coates made this clear when T'Challa told Ramona that Storm will always be tied to Wakanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away....
    There was a marriage! A perfect couple to rule together in harmony. But laying in the dark, there was an Un-phantom Menace!

The X-Empire struck back with the attack of the clowns, ruining the marriage and destroying a powerful image of black unity.
    Many tried to defend and protect it, but the Dark Side was strong. All hope was lost.

Suddenly a force was awakening! One civil war tore the marriage apart but another Civil War brought us a hero! The hero we deserved! The return of the Black Panther
    And now as the light of the Death Star fades on a crumbling empire, a new Force steps in to fill void! New allies are made, new loves are found and a hero will lead masses to the theaters with one goal in mind: Rise of the Black Panther!

We've come a long way fam!

BANNED

Lolol I love it! I'm smiling from ear to ear.

How much of a role do you really think Black Panther or Wakanda are going to play in Red, besides presumably being why Gentle is on the team?

And it's not that it was a bad idea, it's just that Hudlin executed it horribly.
    Given the political nature of the story, and Gentle's presence in the book, I think it's almost a given that T'Challa will be somewhat of a re-occurring presence in the book.

Though I haved mixed feelings in general about Jeans plan, it is sort of nice having a book which showcases marvel rulers even for a little bit. Jean might end up joining the club if she ends up getting her mutant Nation.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Given the political nature of the story, and Gentle's presence in the book, I think it's almost a given that T'Challa will be somewhat of a re-occurring presence in the book.

Though I haved mixed feelings in general about Jeans plan, it is sort of nice having a book which showcases marvel rulers even for a little bit. Jean might end up joining the club if she ends up getting her mutant Nation.
    Maybe its also Jean's plan to get Storm and T'Challa back together and remarry so Jean can be Storm's bridesmaid like Storm was for her in Jean's wedding lol

I don't understand the rushed argument in a comic. Acting like they are real people who just met. Sounds like a filler argument for I don't want them together. Similar to they're only together because they're black/African.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I don't understand the rushed argument in a comic.
    Marriages tend to be preceded by courtships and engagements.

"Hey, person I have not not really talked to in years, do you want to get married?" is not normal.

Neither is controlling the weather or an herb that give you superpowers. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Marriages tend to be preceded by courtships and engagements.

"Hey, person I have not not really talked to in years, do you want to get married?" is not normal.
    She could have always said no.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    She could have always said no.
    Not with Hudlin writing the book.

Characters never get to make these decisions.

I don't understand the rushed argument in a comic. Acting like they are real people who just met. Sounds like a filler argument for I don't want them together. Similar to they're only together because they're black/African.
    In fiction you often don't want romantic leads to get married quickly either. That's usually the pay off for a story, not the starting point. It's generally something you want to build towards.

Something often feels more epic when you take the time to build something up ... it's a pay off that feels more earned. As a random example ... on the TV show vampire diaries the characters Elena and Stephan were essentially a couple after the first episode. Conversely Elena and Damon didn't have their first real kiss till like the third season, and they weren't really together till the forth. The result being in the end for many at least the later came off more epic.

Sometimes the journey is just as important as the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In fiction you often don't want romantic leads to get married quickly either. That's usually the pay off for a story, not the starting point. It's generally something you want to build towards.

Something often feels more epic when you take the time to build something up ... it's a pay off that feels more earned. As a random example ... on the TV show vampire diaries the characters Elena and Stephan were essentially a couple after the first episode. Conversely Elena and Damon didn't have their first real kiss till like the third season, and they weren't really together till the forth. The result being in the end for many at least the later came off more epic.

Sometimes the journey is just as important as the destination.
    Tchalla and Storm are not teenagers or pretending to be teenagers. lol

Considering Priest made her the one person that he opened up to, I got not problems with how Hudlin did it.

And Vampire Diaries ran out of story after Klaus left. lol

Ultimate Member

Because that last bit isn't a maybe, the writer that got them together for the wedding outright admitted that they got married based on them both being black, that when he went looking to marry BP he only looked at powerful black Marvel ladies...