Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Honestly I think DC wants Donna's origin to be confusing. It could have easily been fixed in Rebirth but they decided against it. They may see it as a character trait or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    When did Donna get the "born of clay" origin?

(She seems to have had so many different ones in the past, and if she ever got a "born of clay" retcon I'm assuming it happened sometime after 1995?)
    *shudder* RISE OF DONNA TROY
    https://www.newsarama.com/23223-meet-donn-troy.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I hadn't read much of the Wonder Woman stuff that came out during the 21st century prior to the New 52, and at first I wasn't even going to try that because the Azzariello/Chiang version seemed way too "different" from what I expected for the character.
    But, once I broke down and tried an issue, the "different" actually was a lot more interesting, and the fact that the old pre-Flashpoint stories for most DC characters weren't really in play any more made the changes easier to accept and go with.
    But I did NOT read the stuff by the Finches; the whole "vegetative injustice" thing in the preview of their first issue seemed stupid. (Plus, it seemed like their version of Wonder Woman would likely be more in lock-step with Geoff Johns' version over in JL, a book I dropped after the moronic Superman-and-Wonder Woman coupling that really did not seem to have any logical build-up to it.)

Mighty Member

Has there been any explanation as to how there could have been a younger Donna since that's clearly an adult Donna rising to the tune of "double, double toil and trouble"?

Even using the name "Donna Troy" in that situation, leads me to think there must have already been someone with name.

Quote Originally Posted by jamgut View Post
    Has there been any explanation as to how there could have been a younger Donna since that's clearly an adult Donna rising to the tune of "double, double toil and trouble"?

Even using the name "Donna Troy" in that situation, leads me to think there must have already been someone with name.
    I was saying before, she COULD have been made by Hippolyta and Derinoe before Diana was born but Hippolyta having a child could have changed that and she never came into being.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    Okay, in Titans hunt Donna called herself Fate of the Gods. At first IMHO i thought it was a cool idea though i wished it was executed better.

Now after Rebirth Donna is still made of clay, cannot die and her being fate has not been mentioned. Is she STILL Fate of the Gods? And do you think this aspect of the character is necessary? (Aside from keeping writers from killing her/rewriting her origins for a while)
    We have no idea. That whole origin, including the connection to the Fates, came from the Azzarello and Finches runs, which are no longer in continuity. Most of it conflicts with what we know of the current continuity - but frankly, we don't know much. Who created Donna out of clay? (The Amazons who did it previously were very much part of the Azzarello world.) Did Donna kill a lot of people? (Previously she killed a lot of "the sons of the Amazons," but they might not exist after "The Lies" and "The Truth.")
    Since the clay can't have been made out of Hippolyta's statue (Hippolyta's alive), what was it made out of? Did she kill the Fates? Are the Fates dead? And so on...

Changing Diana's origin and backstory without thinking about how it affects Donna, and then coming up with something for Donna that (a) doesn't give her a loving family relationship with Diana, Hippolyta, and the Amazons, and/or (b) doesn't really hold together very well if you examine it, and/or (c) just doesn't make sense and leaves Donna in an unpleasant state - well, that seems to be a DC tradtion! I wonder if it's mandatory?

Do we know that Donna "cannot die"? We know she doesn't grow old (because we saw a far-future version of her), which is typical of the Amazons in many versions, but that's a little different.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Honestly I think DC wants Donna's origin to be confusing. It could have easily been fixed in Rebirth but they decided against it. They may see it as a character trait or something.
    And it is the one "character trait" I like least about her.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

It’s so annoying to me that Donna’s origin is essentially being born from an Insta Pot that had it’s control setting set to “mystical.”

I didn't read it at the time but these posts seem to give broad strokes of the story...Donna meets/becomes The Fates:
    https://comicnewbies.com/2015/09/19/...its-the-fates/
    http://www.weirdsciencedccomics.com/...-spoilers.html
    http://www.weirdsciencedccomics.com/...-spoilers.html

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    We have no idea. That whole origin, including the connection to the Fates, came from the Azzarello and Finches runs, . . .
    Is it fair to blame Azzarello/Chiang for the latest Donna-debacle?
    Diana's origin changed under that run, but I don't remember Donna ever being mentioned. (And I don't know how much the Finches were "building" on Azz/Chiang vs. working more off of Geoff Johns' WW blueprint from Justice League since I could never bring myself to buy Wonder Woman once the Finches took over.)

Diana's origin changed under that run, but I don't remember Donna ever being mentioned. (And I don't know how much the Finches were "building" on Azz/Chiang vs. working more off of Geoff Johns' WW blueprint from Justice League since I could never bring myself to buy Wonder Woman once the Finches took over.)
    I blame the Finches and whoever double downed on that origin in the Titan's annual. They had a chance to change it there and somehow tie it to The Lies, but somehow Dark Donna won the day.

It's not so much a question of blame. But the Finches were building on the version of the Amazons that Azzarello/Chiang created. I don't think any earlier versions of the Amazons would create a young woman (or a simulacrum of a young women) designed to be a deadly, murderous tool.

(Well, perhaps the four members of the Circle in Gail Simone's run might have gone in that direction - but they were long separated from Amazon society, imprisoned in holes in the ground, and had built up a great deal of anger over twenty-plus years. The group of Amazons who created Donna Troy in the Finches' run had always lived with all the other Amazons - and their motivating characteristics, specifically a hatred of men and a willingness to kill innocent victims, did not seem exceptional among Azzarello & Chiang's Amazons at all.)

But I agree with WonderScott - the real problem was that, even after The New 52 run was no longer (as written) in continuity, somebody decided that, in The Titans, they might as well use that appalling version of Donna anyway. And figure out later (if ever) how that could fit in with Wonder Woman, post- "The Lies" and "The Truth."
    Doctor Bifrost

But I agree with WonderScott - the real problem was that, even after The New 52 run was no longer (as written) in continuity, somebody decided that, in The Titans, they might as well use that appalling version of Donna anyway. And figure out later (if ever) how that could fit in with Wonder Woman, post- "The Lies" and "The Truth."
    Agree 100%. "The Lies" invalidated Donna's nu52 origin, because Diana had never been back to Themiscyra after she left.
    This was a perfect opportunity to ignore the Wonder Weapon origin for Donna, which also conflicted with Donna having a history as Wonder Girl with the Titans.

But sadly, the Titans Annual #1 confirmed Donna was still created as a weapon, presumably earlier and younger than seen in the Finches run (and after Diana had left P.I. ????). The only observation I'd make is that this origin was described -but only minimally depicted- in flashback. Seems like there's some room to tweak the story or flesh it out better. At this point we don't really know how Donna met Diana or first came to join the Titans as a teen.
    Last edited by astro@work; 02-07-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Agree 100%. "The Lies" invalidated Donna's nu52 origin, because Diana had never been back to Themiscyra after she left.
    This was a perfect opportunity to ignore the Wonder Weapon origin for Donna, which also conflicted with Donna having a history as Wonder Girl with the Titans.

But sadly, the Titans Annual #1 confirmed Donna was still created as a weapon, presumably earlier and younger than seen in the Finches run (and after Diana had left P.I. ????). The only observation I'd make is that this origin was described -but only minimally depicted- in flashback. Seems like there's some room to tweak the story or flesh it out better. At this point we don't really know how Donna met Diana or first came to join the Titans as a teen.
    Or what of any of this will be left standing after Rebirth and Doomsday Clock have finished.
    Doctor Bifrost

Or what of any of this will be left standing after Rebirth and Doomsday Clock have finished.
    Well, technically, isn't "Rebirth" finished as a "thing"?

After all, we haven't had the Rebirth banners on the covers for a couple of months now.