Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    You're welcome to like it, but it's a thing. Click on this cover, then start clicking on the arrow on the right, and count how many grimaces you see.

http://www.magazine-agent.com/Green-.../Covers#covers
    I'm not denying it's a thing. I'm saying it's so meaningless and not at all demonstrative of a book's quality

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I'm not denying it's a thing. I'm saying it's so meaningless and not at all demonstrative of a book's quality
    Yep, literally judging a book by its cover.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

i much prefer the shock and awe look of any given rob liefeld cover.

And really, this whole thing is just another "here's something that I, Trey Strain, don't like, so I want everybody to join me in telling DC Comics to stop doing it" thread. You're usually criticizing DC or its employees for being more creative than you like.

Just out of curiosity, what does DC do that you actually like?

I'm upset as I thought this would be a thread showcasing everyone's favorite covers with characters grimacing. <shoulder shrug>

IMG_0288.JPG

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Watch a dramatic television show and count how many times anyone grimaces. It rarely happens.

This has become an overused cliche.

I'm not saying they need to smile. Just don't grimace all the time.

In the Nineties, DC went through a phase where quite a few characters were shown on covers with a trickle of blood running from one corner of their mouths. These tropes come and go.
    What does that have to do with anything? Serious faces for serious moments, that’s what is being depicted. If you don’t like it, okay, but it’s not really puzzling as to why fans or artists think it’s appropriate.

When I see it I think, what, again?
    That’s my thoughts when I see another one of your threads

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm upset as I thought this would be a thread showcasing everyone's favorite covers with characters grimacing. <shoulder shrug>
    I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    That's what I expected too

38220-5755-42916-1-nightwing.jpg
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

BANNED

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The ultimate Grimace:

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The ultimate Grimace:

I declare this the thread winner.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Elmo asked, What does it matter?
    To me, it began to matter a few years ago-- going through Previews/Marvel Previews I began noticing (and, as these things go, REALLY began noticing) the major difference between Marvel solicitations and DC's was that nearly every Marvel depiction showed angry, unpleasant faces, whereas DC showed far fewer. And my Marvel purchases began to drop off. Nowadays, Marvel's still 'grim and grimacing' and DC's 'grimace quotient' has risen significantly to me....and I am down to one Marvel title, and perhaps four DCs... and the cover depictions, while not the only factor, ARE one factor in my lack of interest. All that said, yes, Batman is not, and probably should rarely be, a smiley guy!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Elmo asked, What does it matter?
    To me, it began to matter a few years ago-- going through Previews/Marvel Previews I began noticing (and, as these things go, REALLY began noticing) the major difference between Marvel solicitations and DC's was that nearly every Marvel depiction showed angry, unpleasant faces, whereas DC showed far fewer. And my Marvel purchases began to drop off. Nowadays, Marvel's still 'grim and grimacing' and DC's 'grimace quotient' has risen significantly to me....and I am down to one Marvel title, and perhaps four DCs... and the cover depictions, while not the only factor, ARE one factor in my lack of interest. All that said, yes, Batman is not, and probably should rarely be, a smiley guy!
    I mean...it still doesn't matter though lol

Fantastic Member

Can I end this thread with this post. Absolutely pointless thread started from a gripe and awarded with two pages! Next time, just Don't raise to the idiot