View Poll Results: Which are you most interested in?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red

75 40.32%
  • Gold

5 2.69%
  • Blue

3 1.61%
  • Red & Gold

7 3.76%
  • Red & Blue

44 23.66%
  • Gold & Blue

5 2.69%
  • All

12 6.45%
  • None

35 18.82%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Blue with a touch of red.

BANNED

X-Men Red for sure- it pulls together three of my favorite X-Men (Jean Grey, Nightcrawler + Gambit). While I can't stand Namor, and the rest of the cast is an eclectic group, I'm excited to see what Tom Taylor is able to achieve with the characters he's assembled.

X-Men Blue is a mixed bag. Daken is a badass, and Polaris finally gets some time in the limelight. Gazing Nightshade has promise, but I can't help but feel like she's stealing a spot from a more seasoned X-Man. I'm indifferent to Xorn. I actively dislike Jimmy Hudson. I like Bloodstorm, but all the alternate versions of the X-Men are just too much. I would have preferred Bunn to pick up other characters he's used in the past or has teased for the future; Danger, Elixir, Unuscione, X-Man or Mystique would have better additions to the Polaris/Daken duo. Havok and/or Emma Frost joining Magneto would be cool too, but I doubt that'll happen given they're aligned with Bastion & Ms Sinister I am invested in X-Men Blue though because I do really like Bunn as a writer (excluding the current Venom/Blue crossover arc) and there are some great stories to be told.

The lineup in X-Men Gold is a pretty solid one in terms of showcasing Rogue, Iceman, and Magik, each of whom has a sizable fan following. It brings in new blood, with Armor joining the fray. I don't like Ink (though few people do). I'm surprised Magma, Dani Moonstar, Rockslide, Dust or Anole weren't included given they've had numerous cameos across X-Men Gold, and I think that's a real shame. The biggest problem with X-Men Gold though is its writer. I've given up on the series, and its really sad that there's an X-Men book featuring such a strong array of characters like Ororo, Kurt, Bobby, Illyana + Rogue and I've no interest in picking it up. Guggenheims dialogue is cringey, and the story doesn't feel like it ever goes anywhere. It reads like fanfiction and poor quality at that.

Honestly, I'm not sure any of them have the formula right, and I think all three titles have their flaws. Overall though, my level of excitement for X-Men Red is high, moderate for X-Men Blue and low for X-Men Gold.

BANNED

Cry Havok Part 1

• With the X-MEN lost in space, EMMA FROST, HAVOK, BASTION and MISS SINISTER hatch their devious plans!
    • Is there a worse time for their most dangerous enemies to strike?
    • And wouldn’t it make matters much, much worse if POLARIS once again fell victim to the body-stealing MALICE?

Cry Havok Part 2

• The X-MEN are missing, but MAGNETO mobilizes against his enemies! His first target: SEBASTIAN SHAW!
    • What lengths will MAGNETO go to uncover his enemies’ secrets?
    • Meanwhile, JIMMY HUDSON and BLOODSTORM face the MALICE-possessed POLARIS!

Cry Havok Part 4

• Project: Mothervine has been unleashed, and new mutants are emerging all over the world!
    • Even though these new mutants cannot control their powers, MISS SINISTER can!
    • A new team of X-MEN stand against the WHITE QUEEN, HAVOK, BASTION and MISS SINISTER!

With Jorge Molina doing covers & interiors for issues 23-25, and R.B. Silva penciling #26, as previewed above. Of note, Mike Choi & Federico Blee did the cover you see tho, for Part 4.

BANNED

CRUEL AND UNUSUAL Part 1

• KITTY AND HER X-MEN GOLD TEAM ARE IN JAIL.
    • WHILE THEY’RE AWAY, WHO WILL PROTECT THE PEOPLE OF NYC?
    • READ ON, TRUE BELIEVER, TO MEET THE NEW X-MEN GOLD!

CRUEL AND UNUSUAL Part 2

• The NEW X-MEN GOLD are doing their best to protect people from the likes of The Shredded Man and other baddies...
    • ...but pretty soon a threat bigger than they can imagine will be on their doorstep.
    • Something has survived the Negative Zone, and it wants revenge.

CRUEL AND UNUSUAL Part 3

• SCYTHIAN has come to Earth to take vengeance on the X-Men!
    • But how can the X-Men save the Earth from a vengeful god while they’re stuck in prison?
    • Guest-starring a whole lot of other super heroes!

THE COUNTDOWN TO THE MUTANT WEDDING OF THE CENTURY!

CRUEL AND UNUSUAL Part 4

• It all begins here! But WHO is tying the knot? And can I bring a plus-one?
    • Also: The X-MEN in their final confrontation with an old foe, a fight that ends up costing RACHEL everything.
    • Plus… The evil alliance you never expected.

With cover & interior art done by a variety of creative contributors, over the course of those 4 issues.

Red of course, has Mahmud Asrar on the inside, and Travis Charest on the outside. Absently-minded forgot to mention this, on the previous page.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    X-Men Blue for sure. Had no idea that the roster had changed, and that the annoying O5 are gone. I love Polaris and Storm is in it, so it will be a must buy for sure--especially with Cullen Bunn writing. He's a great writer and one of the few left in the industry whose stuff I can actually re-read.

I'll be dropping Gold. No one in the new roster interests me. And under different circumstances I would have been over the moon to get Red, with . But not with Tom Taylor writing, he's a rubbish writer, whose work is just one level up from Fraction, his stuff is just glorified fan fiction. I recently had a look a look at All New Wolverine #30 and almost spit. I mean why doesn't Taylor just give Laura a job as professional female mud wrestler and or have her do party tricks where she opens beer bottles with her teeth? She's just base and vulgar.

But I really glad to hear about the changes for Blue.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    X-Men Blue for sure. Had no idea that the roster had changed, and that the annoying O5 are gone. I love Polaris and Storm is in it, so it will be a must buy for sure--especially with Cullen Bunn writing. He's a great writer and one of the few left in the industry whose stuff I can actually re-read.

I'll be dropping Gold. No one in the new roster interests me. And under different circumstances I would have been over the moon to get Red, with . But not with Tom Taylor writing, he's a rubbish writer, whose work is just one level up from Fraction, his stuff is just glorified fan fiction. I recently had a look a look at All New Wolverine #30 and almost spit. I mean why doesn't Taylor just give Laura a job as professional female mud wrestler and or have her do party tricks where she opens beer bottles with her teeth? She's just base and vulgar.

But I really glad to hear about the changes for Blue.
    Lets not forget how Taylor calls Lady Deathstrike Yukio. Her name is Yuriko, and that's a totally different character. Also Deathstrike isn't a mutant, so she had no business being there in the first place. Someone listed off a good 48 item list about the stuff wrong in that chapter. I added a small 49 - 51.

But with Lady Deathstrike & Creed, seems clear Taylor didn't really know the characters. And it seemed like he got his info from Pak (Weapon X) team. And Pak sure as Hell doesn't know them. Otherwise, how do that catch all 3 of them and tie them up with so little effort? That just makes all three of those characters look like jokes. Regular policemen could catch them if that's the case.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-04-2018 at 06:07 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Lets not forget how Taylor calls Lady Deathstrike Yukio. Her name is Yuriko, and that's a totally different character. Also Deathstrike isn't a mutant, so she had no business being there in the first place. I'm not even a fan of her, and I know those things. Why is it a writer doesn't? Someone listed off a good 48 item list about the stuff wrong in that chapter. Then I add 49 - 51.

But with Lady Deathstrike & Creed, seems clear Taylor didn't really know the characters. And it seemed like he got his info from Pak (Weapon X) team. And Pak sure as Hell doesn't know the characters. Rosenberg was the same in Phoenix Resurrection. Except he was smart enough to leave Deathstrike out of the Weapon X team. Then with Creed, his writing had Pak written on it. But he rightfully stopped giving Creed lines or scenes after the first chapter. So least Rosenberg knows where to stop.
    Right.

To be honest, I am really annoyed about his treatement of X-23. He doesn't seem to get context or nuance, and I agree with you that he doesn't seem to do any research or think through what he writes. It's not the first time I've seen him muck up a story with things that don't make sense. And I've seen him insert stupid things into stories, such as having Teen Jean remove the trigger scent from Laura. But how could TJ do that when Emma and Charles couldn't do it?

If he can't get a character with a short history like X-23 right, what do you think he'll do with the rest of the X-Men team? I love the X-Men, and I love my favourite characters but I won't be supporting a book just because it has my has my favourite character. If the writing is bad and the character is mangled beyond belief. I don't run a charity.

Astonishing Member

Cry Havok Part 1

• With the X-MEN lost in space, EMMA FROST, HAVOK, BASTION and MISS SINISTER hatch their devious plans!
    • Is there a worse time for their most dangerous enemies to strike?
    • And wouldn’t it make matters much, much worse if POLARIS once again fell victim to the body-stealing MALICE?

Cry Havok Part 2

• The X-MEN are missing, but MAGNETO mobilizes against his enemies! His first target: SEBASTIAN SHAW!
    • What lengths will MAGNETO go to uncover his enemies’ secrets?
    • Meanwhile, JIMMY HUDSON and BLOODSTORM face the MALICE-possessed POLARIS!

Cry Havok Part 4

• Project: Mothervine has been unleashed, and new mutants are emerging all over the world!
    • Even though these new mutants cannot control their powers, MISS SINISTER can!
    • A new team of X-MEN stand against the WHITE QUEEN, HAVOK, BASTION and MISS SINISTER!

With Jorge Molina doing covers & interiors for issues 23-25, and R.B. Silva penciling #26, as previewed above. Of note, Mike Choi & Federico Blee did the cover you see tho, for Part 4.
    the thing that bothers me most is that Shaw hasnt really done anything evil in almost a decade since being brain wiped by Emma. He even rescued the mutant kids from the Avengers in AvX.
    This seems to me like they will be ignoring that part of continuity.

CRUEL AND UNUSUAL Part 1

• KITTY AND HER X-MEN GOLD TEAM ARE IN JAIL.
    • WHILE THEY’RE AWAY, WHO WILL PROTECT THE PEOPLE OF NYC?
    • READ ON, TRUE BELIEVER, TO MEET THE NEW X-MEN GOLD!
    That cover looks a bit like one of the All-New Wolverine covers during the Enemy of the State II story arc. Where they riffing off some classic cover or something?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Right.

To be honest, I am really annoyed about his treatement of X-23. He doesn't seem to get context or nuance, and I agree with you that he doesn't seem to do any research or think through what he writes. It's not the first time I've seen him muck up a story with things that don't make sense. And I've seen him insert stupid things into stories, such as having Teen Jean remove the trigger scent from Laura. But how could TJ do that when Emma and Charles couldn't do it?

If he can't get a character with a short history like X-23 right, what do you think he'll do with the rest of the X-Men team? I love the X-Men, and I love my favourite characters but I won't be supporting a book just because it has my has my favourite character. If the writing is bad and the character is mangled beyond belief. I don't run a charity.
    Believe me, I understand. One of my favorite characters is Sabretooth of all people. And he's been written like crap 95% of the time since 2003. So even if he's in a book, it depends on who's writing. For example if Pak, Taylor, or Rosenberg is writing, I know not to bother. If Brisson, Duggan, Bunn, or Tierri, Claremont, & Jolley ever came back to write him, then you got my attention.

Otherwise, I am reading very sporadically and biased these days given how so many writers get characters and just write them on a whim w/o doing any research on how they should properly be characterized. I basically keep my eyes pealed for the slightest thing that could be seen as bad (according to my taste). The Hunt for Wolverine comes out in April, followed by the 5 chapter mini dealing with the aftermath. I am on the fence on reading that, because I already saw something potential discouraging, especially if the rumors of writers are true and Kelly Thompson is writing the story I think she is. lol But when we get solicits, it'll be easier to make a decision. Hopefully.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-04-2018 at 06:35 PM.

BANNED

X-Men Red does seem to be eliciting quite the positive response tho, initially, with early reviews:

AIPT.com, Advance Spoiler-Free Review: X-Men Red #1
    Rating: 8/10 - ‎Review by Chris Hassan

BleedingCool.com, The Politics of Fear: X-Men Red #1, an Advance Review
    Rating: 7/10 - ‎Review by Rich Johnston

MonkeysFightingRobots.co, Review: X-MEN RED #1, Where Jean Grey is The Superman Of The Marvel Universe
    Rating: 4/5 - ‎Review by Matthew Sardo

Newsarama.com, Advance Review: X-MEN - RED #1 Brings 'Compassion, Warmth, & Clear Purpose to JEAN GREY's Mission' (8/10)
    By David Pepose

... AND, also...

Comic-Watch.com, BREAKING NEWS: X-Men Red #1 Already Headed Back to Press!

Marvel Comics is going back to press for the second printing of X-Men: Red #1, the highly anticipated new X-men title with a whole new team to be led by the recently resurrected Jean Grey and it hasn’t even hit the shelves yet!...

... This team is isolated away from humanity for a reason. It’s about survival and a changing human/mutant landscape. This would be a fundamental change to the mutant books if others fall into line. Could this be the future of the Marvel mutant-verse, taking the themes and ideas that have always been there since the first issue and taking them forward in a new way?

In a story like this, it is usually a side character who becomes the reader’s eye into this world, in X-Men Red, it is the team’s leader, the original Jean Grey, who bridges the gap to the reader. X-Men: Red #1 seems more than just a new comic book, but a new launch of the X books. From what we are being told, plan on it to be far more successful in pulling this new human/mutant landscape together than the X-Men Prime, Gold and Blue first issues that came before it.

Get your copies of X-men: Red # 1 reserved now! Sold out at the Diamond distributor level and already back to press, I wouldn’t be surprised if this book goes to third print!

So it seems the hype is pretty real, so far. 8)

Red and Blue both are looking interesting. Gold’s next arc on the other hand just feels like filler.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    the thing that bothers me most is that Shaw hasnt really done anything evil in almost a decade since being brain wiped by Emma. He even rescued the mutant kids from the Avengers in AvX.
    This seems to me like they will be ignoring that part of continuity.
    Maybe they'll let us know, in the conteXt of the story. Maybe it'll be something recent, that'll be revealed early on, before the face-off. Besides, it's not like Mags is the most forgiving or forgetting type of person, so maybe it's just old grudges. Shaw was also involved with Emma, Xorn, and others, of the not-so-nice ruling class, in Blue during Secret Wars a short while ago.

Speaking of Blue, I haven't been able to find it again... yet, but remember Bunn all but confirmin', that the 2x Wolverines won't last long... and will soon be down to one. Will it be Jimmy, or Daken, who likely bites the dust? My $'s on the former, "Blondie", who seems to be far more generic & as a result... eXpendable.

Maybe they'll let us know, in the conteXt of the story. Maybe it'll be something recent, that'll be revealed early on, before the face-off. Besides, it's not like Mags is the most forgiving or forgetting type of person, so maybe it's just old grudges. Shaw was also involved with Emma, Xorn, and others, of the not-so-nice ruling class, in Blue during Secret Wars a short while ago.

Speaking of Blue, I haven't been able to find it again... yet, but remember Bunn all but confirmin', that the 2x Wolverines won't last long... and will soon be down to one. Will it be Jimmy, or Daken, who likely bites the dust? My $'s on the former, "Blondie", who seems to be far more generic & as a result... eXpendable.
    Bunn said a while back when Uncanny was going that he wasn't a big fan of Daken. He then said writing for a character you don't like can be interesting / fun, and his dislike wouldn't keep him from including Daken a book. BUT, whether or not he would write Daken for an extended period (if not forced by editorial) is another matter. And Jimmy, Bunn may feel he has more freedom to really expand his character, since there isn't too much to him right now.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-04-2018 at 07:57 PM.