Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I haven't watched this yet, but the reviews from people are pretty brutal. But at least it's on Netflix and not in theaters where people are spending 10 or more dollars to see it ha. I do have a question and I don't care if you have to spoil me a bit, but does the film explain what the monster from the original film is and where it came from?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I haven't watched this yet, but the reviews from people are pretty brutal. But at least it's on Netflix and not in theaters where people are spending 10 or more dollars to see it ha. I do have a question and I don't care if you have to spoil me a bit, but does the film explain what the monster from the original film is and where it came from?
    I've yet to watch it but the comics and viral marketing said the creature was awakened from offshore drilling by SLUSHO. It was always there and this one was a juvenille. That's the canon before this movie, so I don't know if that changes it or not.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    In one word, the answer is spoilers:
    yes.
    end of spoilers

I liked it. Though it borrows a lot from other space horror flicks it was still enjoyable. Reminded me of the 90s movie Event Horizon. They came up with a decent way to tie all the Cloverfield movies together. I like this explaination for the monster in the first flick over the manga and viral marketing.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    This was awful

Don't waste your time
    Agreed. My wife watched 20 minutes of it, said "This is stupid" and went to bed. After another 20 minutes, I did the same thing.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

iMan 42s

Alright well I actually forgot about this one until I saw the thread and just got finished watching it.

Simply put; It's not as good as Cloverfield.
    What could be an interesting idea in that the monster from Cloverfield came from another dimension and that you have all these other horrible things coming from that ultimately makes for a mediocre sit. To put it lightly, nothing about this movie is as interesting as the monsters it cuts back to. Be it the weirdness on the ship or the monster itself. Now I've heard rumors that this script originally wasn't a Cloverfield script and if it wasn't, that makes sense. It's vaguely connected to it, but I just felt such a disconnect between this and the first one being that none of what came up as background, or in the station, actually felt like it belonged in the 2008 Cloverfield was set in.

Honestly this film suffers from the same problems that the Netflix Godzilla does and achieves what is more or less the same result (it more or less does the same ending);
    - Great actors like Daniel Brühl to absolutely wooden actors (looking at you Elizabeth Debicki)
    - Spending too much time babbling instead of going to the things we came to see (monsters, FX, plot)
    - Not enough time with the title creature *note; in Netflix Godzilla it's a cock tease to something far worse whereas in God particle what we wanted is on screen for all of 10 seconds. This is ultimately replaced with an actor who isn't nearly as interesting or memorable as the giant monster itself. Your monster regardless in both is a stand-in.
    - Characters who are fine in concept but are simply not memorable in the slightest beyond character archetype.

To call this movie flawed is an understatement and I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if this truly came from an unrelated script. Sub-plots just kind of show up and I can't help but feel like this movie would have been better served as Cloverfield part 2. Like following what exactly that ending was. Between this and Godzilla, Cloverfield is spearheading giant monster blue balls. The thing is you actually got Godzilla on Netflix, but you find yourself wondering why they didn't lead with the twist. In Cloverfield: God Particle, you find yourself wondering why they didn't do anything with the better premise.

Like Godzilla before it, this gets an F
    This is competent in some places when it comes to dimension jumping and monsters, but the whole of its parts cannot deny that this should have been a very different entry to what we got. Bad Robot needs to stop dancing around the monster and actually give people a monster.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I thought it was pretty good.

Chekov's ... 3D printer and foosball table was a pretty nice touch.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Next movie is set during WW2 so that's kinda cool.

Ultimate Member

It was kind of alright.

So, I guess the Cloverfield Paradox doesn't take place in our dimension.

Sinking up Cloverfield and Cloverfield: Paradox

http://comicbook.com/horror/2018/02/...verfield-sync/

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It was kind of alright.

So, I guess the Cloverfield Paradox doesn't take place in our dimension.
    I think the Paradox world is Prime Earth/Earth One, to put it in a DC Multiverse context. The actions on that earth have effected space time throughout the multiverse.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-07-2018 at 01:02 AM.

I watched it last night it was entertaining.

Still liked #2 and #1 better though.
    Batman - Daredevil

Is the giant monster/kaiju bit from the first movie ever returning, or should I ignore this franchise going forward? Cause giant monster was all I wanted here.

Extraordinary Member

Playing Eric B and Rakim on a spaceship was pretty damn cool. Other than that it was really derivative of other movies like Super Nova and Event Horizon like others have said. That last scene was pretty good though.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Even with all things accepted or hand waved, there is still no explanation for the arm in film.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    Even with all things accepted or hand waved, there is still no explanation for the arm in film.
    My very first thought coming into this thread.

I watched it and felt it was really disjointed (pun not intended). But then I read up on it and found out that it was its own sci-fi movie, but Paramount didn't have much faith in it its box office, so Abrams suggested linking it to Cloverfield.

Which might have been the right move from a business perspective, but it feels pretty clear where the original movie stands to the point where the parts linking it to the franchise very much feel like they're tacked on, like all the scenes on Earth. It feels tangential rather than intentionally connected. So then we have all these mysteries like the arm (and how it knew about Volkov's stomach!) that probably would've been explained -- or at least, the characters trying to figure it out -- in the screentime that the Cloverfield scenes instead took. Sure, Cloverfield is supposed to be a franchise of mystique, but the characters are presented with these genuinely freaky, statistically improbable phenomena and dwell on it for all of 2 minutes before moving on to the next crisis.

Remove all the connections to Cloverfield to reduce the clutter, and I feel like it becomes clearer that the original intention of the movie was to show that there was some sort of actual conscious force manipulating the station. The arm acting on its own volition, the warped bulkhead, the black goo that turned into a tentacle (Geezus, poor Chris O'Dowd), etc.