Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default New Gene Yang Superman Graphic Novel Announced

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/b...t-authors.html

DC is launching a new kids and young adults graphic novel line, and Gene Yang will be writing a book called "Superman smashes the klan"

“You’ll see that Gene Luen Yang book, ‘Superman Smashes the Klan,’ will be for both,” Ms. Wells said. “If anyone can make a bold statement with Superman, it is Gene Yang.”

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

SUPERMAN

SMASHES

THE KLAN

Serialized first, which is fine with me; I wonder if it's an adaptation of the radio series, or a whole new thing. And a Super Sons OGN series too (by the writer of the "Kingdom Keepers" series - anyone know if those are any good?).
    Buh-bye

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The Ridley Pearson Supersons story sounds neat. Superman vs The Klan in 2018 (?) is a little odd but yang is great and deep down I've been hoping to see more from him anyway.

This seems like a really cool new imprint for DC, and I'm excited to see more of what comes out of it .

And Gene Luen Yang getting another major crack at Superman in graphic novel format should be amazing. Definitely excited for that and the Super Sons novel .

BANNED

So much of this sounds amazing, not just Yang's Superman story.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm buying the hell out of that MERA book, that's for sure.

That's right DC, catch them when they are young...

Yeah, Yang deserves another chance at Superman, one where he isn't stuck in a crossover. Other than that I will try Super Sons and Mera, even if they are not exactly aimed at me.

I'm curious to see what Mariko Tamaki's approach to Harley will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    SUPERMAN

SMASHES

THE KLAN

Nothing more needs to be said.

Hell yeah.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/b...t-authors.html

DC is launching a new kids and young adults graphic novel line, and Gene Yang will be writing a book called "Superman smashes the klan"

“You’ll see that Gene Luen Yang book, ‘Superman Smashes the Klan,’ will be for both,” Ms. Wells said. “If anyone can make a bold statement with Superman, it is Gene Yang.”
    Read the first couple of issues of his New Superman series last night. I'd say if rest of series keeps standard of those issues, that he's already made a bold statement with Superman.

BANNED

I keep thinking I've heard about this "Smash the Klan" story before, at least last year. Guess they finally found a platform for it.

Bite Your Head Off, Man Deathscythe's Avatar

I'd sure like to get excited about this, as it looks on face value to be targeting kids who will then become hooked and become future readers. The key issue (no pun intended) will be the availability of these books. Digital is fine and good, but you can't sell digital content in the impulse buy section of a supermarket. Will these be available only in book stores or, as with the halfhearted attempted Marvel and DC has done with some of their newer comics, in the trading card/collector's section of WalMart?

To kids to get into these, they need to be everywhere a kid wants to go or does go in a store. A few in the toy aisle, more than a few in the video game aisle (preferably on a hanging display right by the cases containing the game discs and systems), a few right by the DVD/Blu collections of superhero movies and TV shows, in the book section, in the collector's section, and the impulse racks in the checkout lanes.

Otherwise, all this great talent will be for naught. This is what the Big Two have failed to see for decades and while Marvel has the right idea with its digests, they aren't nearly widespread enough (at least where I live) to really be noticed by kids.

I am happy for Gene Luen Yang book..

Superman Smashes the Klan, I like the tittle..

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I keep thinking I've heard about this "Smash the Klan" story before, at least last year. Guess they finally found a platform for it.
    I dunno if you're thinking of the same thing, but back in the day there was a Superman story where he goes after the KKK. And after that issue hit, klan recruitment famously dropped a big chunk. At least part of that decline has been attributed to the impact the Superman issue had on the kids reading comics at the time.

I don't remember details of the story though, nor even the title (I'm feeling a little sick, brain is muddy) so I can't even guess at whether that and Yang's story are related. But I mean, you'd think they'd almost have to be, on some level, even if it was just Yang's inspiration for this story.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

It was a storyline on the radio show.

A human rights activist by the name of Stetson Kennedy wanted to combat the KKK, so he contacted the producers of the Superman radio show and suggested that they use the Klan as villains, which they did. He provided them with some inside knowledge of the Klan, which demystified the Klan and hurt recruitment.