Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    No, it didn't come across that way at all. In my usual contrary way I was putting a "challenge" in just because I felt more or less exactly like you that Kong comes across as totally new and unique. My gut feeling is just that...but the fine detail eludes me.

So I thought I'd throw the thought out there (that Kong is pretty similar to young Connor)...in hope that people that read comics more carefully than I do could do my thinking for me by pointing out some of the differences. (Pretty sure there are some...clone background v growing up in a one parent background, growing up in China v USA, etc...it's all got to have some impact on personality.)

I had a wry smile at your frustration at change in characters of Teen Titans since Geoff Johns run. Unfortunately in my experience the equivalent of that comes at some point to all veteran fans. In my case for example, I still feel a tinge of irritation that Batman is no longer the mellow, affable, fallible guy that appeared in the Bob Haney/ Jim Aparo Brave and Bold run.
    I'm usually the last person to get bothered by change... I love all the new Marvel characters, I'm not hung up on past continuity.. But I don't see how anyone can feel the Titans, Teen and adjective-less, are in a better place now than they were pre New 52. I read all their appearances and I'm still confused where they are and how they ended up there.

The familial upbringing is definitely the biggest difference to me. Connor also had Superman as a mentor/ impossible figure to live up to, whereas Kong doesn't have anyone quite like that. He does have mentors, but they're not like having Superman casting his shadow over you. Kong also has feelings of guilt about his mother dying, whereas Connor was strictly the victim in his cloning and origin.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Character designs from the graphic novel: dw.jpg

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Anyone know the artist? Looks really familiar, but I can't remember. Whoever it is, I'm really, really digging the art style, and now my hype can fully rise for this book.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Huh, for a second I almost thought the girl on Superman's left was Lois even though Superman is, like, twice her height .

Jimmy looks straight out of Justice League Action.

I like that they're going for Fleischer coloring for the suit.

BANNED

The kid on the left is wearing a baseball uniform, isn't he? The book might actually be an adaptation of the radio story.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Anyone know the artist? Looks really familiar, but I can't remember. Whoever it is, I'm really, really digging the art style, and now my hype can fully rise for this book.
    I'm under the assumption that it's Yang.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Diggin the character designs for this.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

So far I haven't seen anything about this which doesn't seem 100% absolutely amazing.

Kick some white supremacist ass, Superman! I cannot be more hyped for this!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    WOW.. I like this..

Avatar: the last airbender? I liked this too.
    Last edited by adrikito; 02-19-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The kid on the left is wearing a baseball uniform, isn't he? The book might actually be an adaptation of the radio story.
    I like that it appears to be a 'period piece' set in the time of the original story too. Golden Age Superman uniform design!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Librarian View Post
    I like that it appears to be a 'period piece' set in the time of the original story too. Golden Age Superman uniform design!
    So new details, it's a period piece and a story within a story.

At the American Library Association meet for the launch of the DC Ink and DC Zoom line for younger readers, DC Comics gave some more details of the Superman Smashes the Klan graphic novel by Gene Luen Yang, and how it ties directly into the Superman vs The Klan radio serial from the forties.

Because that is why the comic is set in 1946: it tells the story of an American Chinese girl who moves to Metropolis to find herself and her family’s ethnicity targeted by the Ku Klux Klan. Through her experience with Superman and the radio serial, she learns to overcome some of the trials and understand what it means to be American.

BANNED

This all sounds like it's going to be my favorite American Superman story in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    So new details, it's a period piece and a story within a story.
    Interesting.

So the radio serial is an actual, in-universe, thing in this and this girl latches onto it as she and her family experience something similar to what happened in the story.