Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    The Super Sons novel will be centered on an African princess.
    DC's problems in a nutshell. Introducing another diverse character that will never be seen again after the story arc is over, instead of promoting an existing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You've also got the Kendra Saunders Hawkgirl in the promotional image.
    How can you tell? She looks White to me so I wouldn't be surprised if it was Shayera.

Man the Hawks are so confusing...
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    DC's problems in a nutshell. Introducing another diverse character that will never be seen again after the story arc is over, instead of promoting an existing one.
    Well, if it's a graphic novel series then she could always pop up in the sequel...
    How can you tell? She looks White to me so I wouldn't be surprised if it was Shayera.

That's Kendra's costume.

BANNED

These don't exactly sound like books that will be even remotely interested in main universe continuity.
    It's not a story arc. It's a graphic novel that is not part of the main line.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's Kendra's costume.
    There's a difference in their costumes?

There's a difference in their costumes?
    That specific green and yellow costume is what Kendra wore during most of her existence.

The only time I remember Shayera/Shiera wearing it was during Brightest Day.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Also, she's definitely darker skinned than the white characters on the image, but not as dark as Simon.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Not my demo, but love seeing drives to get in the kids again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hopefully we get some racial and ethnic diversity in those books because so far that doesn't look to be the case
    I laughed at the Simon comments.

A token is not diverse.

What race even is Simon, Muslim is a religion ...I don't read his book so I don't know.

Exactly.

I thought that was Shayera too (I still do), the only time I have ever seen Kendra was in her blue costume and in Metal and in both cases she had brown skin which this one does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    These don't exactly sound like books that will be even remotely interested in main universe continuity.
    It's not a story arc. It's a graphic novel that is not part of the main line.
    I think this is quite obvious info, and not what El_Gato is essentially saying.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-06-2018 at 02:38 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    What race even is Simon, Muslim is a religion ...I don't read his book so I don't know.
    Simon is Lebanese! Atleast Im fairly sure his family is descended from their, but someone might correct me

Also I thought that was Shayera too (I still do), the only time I have ever seen Kendra was in her blue costume and in Metal and in both cases she had brown skin which this one does not.
    Again, though, that's the costume most associated with Kendra.

Lebanese. Johns is half Lebanese, which is why he decided to create Simon.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-05-2018 at 05:24 PM.

I laughed at the Simon comments.

A token is not diverse.

I believe Simon Baz is Lebanese. I don't know the history of that region so I can't comment on their racial demographics, though I figure its similar to Latin America (ie lots of race mixing), but Simon definitely isn't White.

Also I thought that was Shayera too (I still do), the only time I have ever seen Kendra was in her blue costume and in Metal and in both cases she had brown skin which this one does not.

Kendra also appears in Super Hero Girls, where she has the same brown skin as Jessica Cruz, so I agree with you on that. She also appeared on LoT season 1, played by Ciara Renee, who is multiracial.

Did I miss the announcement where they talk about distribution models?

This is a great next step following the success of DC Super Hero Girls (my favorite initiative ever set forth by the Big 2) but if the distribution is limited like the direct market is, this won't get far. I better see these things in every book store, digital shop, Hot Topic, and Target I visit, as well as the PSN and whatever it is that Xbox and Nintendo use. No point doing this if you're not going to actually reach your intended audience.

Very excited for this. About time the industry finally started making some smart moves to expand their consumer base and bring in a new generation of fans.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-05-2018 at 06:40 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Did I miss the announcement where they talk about distribution models?

This is a great next step following the success of DC Super Hero Girls (my favorite initiative ever set forth by the Big 2) but if the distribution is limited like the direct market is, this won't get far. I better see these things in every book store, digital shop, Hot Topic, and Target I visit, as well as the PSN and whatever it is that Xbox and Nintendo use. No point doing this if you're not going to actually reach your intended audience.

Very excited for this. About time the industry finally started making some smart moves to expand their consumer base and bring in a new generation of fans.
    I don't think this is aimed at the direct market at all. DC Super Hero Girls was/still is a massive success outside of it, in book stores and especially thanks to Scholastic book club sales. If I had to guess, that's where these books are all going, considering DCSHG is literally part of the DC Zoom line now.

While I doubt it'll ever happen, I would die if I could read stuff like this on my Switch, lol.
    ----
    About the ethnic diversity, yeah, it doesn't look too crazy. Regardless of which Hawkgirl it is, we know she's in Dear Justice League at the very least. And with Yang on Superman Smash the Klan, I'm pretty sure we'll get to see a Chinese character or something of that sort (I hope so anyways). And yeah, we can guess Simon and Jessica will show up in GL Legacy. You guys already covered Super Sons, too. And we don't really know what's up with Teen Titans to be honest, we could even get Solstice eventually (as she's apparently showing up in the upcoming live-action series soon).

While none of that really sounds all that great, what we need to remember is that, aside from the over abundance of Batman stories, all DC's done is cover their most popular brands right now. And even then, they don't even have anything on the Flash. So far, it's just two Superman books, one Wonder Woman, one GL, one TT, one JL, Super Sons, Catwoman, and then DCSHG. And then a bunch of Batman. I'm sure we'll see more and more books starting in 2020, after they've really gotten these books out there and gotten some success.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    About the ethnic diversity, yeah, it doesn't look too crazy. Regardless of which Hawkgirl it is, we know she's in Dear Justice League at the very least. And with Yang on Superman Smash the Klan, I'm pretty sure we'll get to see a Chinese character or something of that sort (I hope so anyways). And yeah, we can guess Simon and Jessica will show up in GL Legacy. You guys already covered Super Sons, too. And we don't really know what's up with Teen Titans to be honest, we could even get Solstice eventually (as she's apparently showing up in the upcoming live-action series soon).
    I don't want to automatically assume anything of Yang, but while I imagine Superman's own traditional supporting cast will probably play a part in "Superman smashes the Klan," I imagine there will also probably be a diverse cast of characters inhabiting that story as well.