Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

And yet again, DC Entertainment ignores Vixen by not including her in any of this. First "DC Superhero Girls" (aside from a cameo in one 5-minute webisode) and now this.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 02-05-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    And yet again, DC Entertainment ignores Vixen by not including her in any of this. First "DC Superhero Girls" (aside from a cameo in one 5-minute webisode) and now this.
    Well, it wasn't really a cameo, more like a guest appearance that will probably lead into her own arc in the current season of webisodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't want to automatically assume anything of Yang, but while I imagine Superman's own traditional supporting cast will probably play a part in "Superman smashes the Klan," I imagine there will also probably be a diverse cast of characters inhabiting that story as well.
    I specifically brought up a Chinese character (to clarify, I meant Chinese American character, but just said Chinese to refer to someone of Chinese descent, not actually someone living in China) because the super old radio show from the 40's had Superman fight the KKK and some of the central characters were Asian Americans. I just feel like, after how Yang tore down super old Detective Comics and Slam Bradley, it just wouldn't make sense to not adapt that story.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see both the traditional supporting cast and some other diverse characters, and in fact, I'm hoping for it (I really don't think you can tell this story without both).

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Simon is Lebanese! Atleast Im fairly sure his family is descended from their, but someone might correct me
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Lebanese. Johns is half Lebanese, which is why he decided to create Simon.
    Thank you guys and El_Gato for the answers.

That's really cool, so he's technically a brown asian, who can identify themselves as either "asian" or "white" on any U.S.census, I think it would have to be white, but the character most likely identifies as middle eastern/arab.

Oh the complicated history of America and geography, I'll just say he's middle eastern and/or Lebanese.

Ignore me I'm just rambling.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Extraordinary Member

The "Ink" stuff sounds for me as it was targeted to teenage girls, so that's not really interesting for me.

But some of the "Zoom" stuff could be fun.

BTW. did anybody read the "BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER" novel? Is it any good? The summery somehow sounds really like fanfic.

I'm looking forward to Super Sons and Teen Titans. My little sister is also a big fan of these two so I can't wait to pick up new stuff for her. She also loves DC's Super Hero Girls and I think she will enjoy most of these books too. Plus the art of Teen Titans is done by Gabriel Picolo and I love his work.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    DC's problems in a nutshell. Introducing another diverse character that will never be seen again after the story arc is over, instead of promoting an existing one.
    "The softcover Zoom graphic novels will cost $9.99 and run 128 pages, while the Ink books will be priced at $16.99 for 192 pages. The stories will be free from the elaborate continuity of previous superhero tales.

“They are character studies, not necessarily superhero stories,” Ms. Chase said.

The adventures meant for middle graders will delve into characters who are figuring out the world around them, including dealing with parents and teachers, she said. The young adult graphic novels will focus more on questions of personal identity, with budding heroes deciding what paths they will take." (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    I don't think this is aimed at the direct market at all. DC Super Hero Girls was/still is a massive success outside of it, in book stores and especially thanks to Scholastic book club sales. If I had to guess, that's where these books are all going, considering DCSHG is literally part of the DC Zoom line now.

While I doubt it'll ever happen, I would die if I could read stuff like this on my Switch, lol.
    One can hope. I agree this is likely outside the direct market and following the same path as DCSHG. Which is exactly what it needs to be doing.

We *need* to get beyond the direct market.

About the ethnic diversity, yeah, it doesn't look too crazy. Regardless of which Hawkgirl it is, we know she's in Dear Justice League at the very least. And with Yang on Superman Smash the Klan, I'm pretty sure we'll get to see a Chinese character or something of that sort (I hope so anyways). And yeah, we can guess Simon and Jessica will show up in GL Legacy. You guys already covered Super Sons, too. And we don't really know what's up with Teen Titans to be honest, we could even get Solstice eventually (as she's apparently showing up in the upcoming live-action series soon).

While none of that really sounds all that great, what we need to remember is that, aside from the over abundance of Batman stories, all DC's done is cover their most popular brands right now. And even then, they don't even have anything on the Flash. So far, it's just two Superman books, one Wonder Woman, one GL, one TT, one JL, Super Sons, Catwoman, and then DCSHG. And then a bunch of Batman. I'm sure we'll see more and more books starting in 2020, after they've really gotten these books out there and gotten some success
    Yeah, they're just setting up the big properties. Its a little sad to see characters like Vixen and Black Lightning and Ryan Choi not getting in on the first round of announcements, but no one should have expected anything different. When you launch a new high value line of products, you tend to lead with your best IPs. That means the Bat, the League, and the Titans (for this demo).

The more diverse characters will come in the next wave, I'm sure.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I also think it's entirely possible that the authors themselves chose which characters they wanted to focus on for their books.

I am interested in Mera graphic novel..

and Batman, Superman:Smallville and the klan, JL and Green Lantern.. and maybe Teen Titans(raven is here)..

I also think it's entirely possible that the authors themselves chose which characters they wanted to focus on for their books.
    It's probably likely. If they reached out to a number of young adult authors and asked them for pitches for projects to launch the line, these books would be the result of what got pitched and approved, not assigned to particular writers to do, and since DC was trying to recruit new talent, the best way to get them interested and saying yes is to ask them what they want to do. Now maybe they didn't cast a wide enough net to bring in a different set of writers, or they did and some chose not to pitch, the pitches weren't viable or possibly needed more development and will come later. Not every writer wants to jump aboard a new unproven line, some may be waiting to see how the launch goes, and others may have had deadlines on their own books that precluded involvement at the launch but may participate later.

I think this is a positive step to reach a new generation of readers, something that the industry hasn't done since the newsstand stopped being viable. The direct market was never st up to attract new readers. It was set up by Seuling and company to sell books to people who already know what they want, which is why the non-returnable model worked then. But it's financially unsound to stock books you aren't sure you can sell to an audience you aren't sure exists if you are shouldering all the risks, and if books aren't on the shelves for customers to buy without preordering, it doesn't matter if new customers come in or not (and it's usually not), there's nothing for them to buy. The direct market was never intended to be a growth market or outreach to new readers, it was intended to sell books to the hardcore customer base. The problem is they lost the feeder program for that customer base when they lost newsstands (and newsstand had become non-viable anyways) but never invested in a new feeder market because sales in the direct market were so robust at the time. Now, a couple generations later, they are feeling the effects of not capturing enough new readers from those generations and direct market sales are less than robust. Programs like this (and Super-Hero Girls and books like Ms. Marvel in the Scholastic market for Marvel) are needed to create a new feeder program to bring new generations of readers into the fold, and should be applauded whether the books themselves interest you personally or not.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It's probably likely. If they reached out to a number of young adult authors and asked them for pitches for projects to launch the line, these books would be the result of what got pitched and approved, not assigned to particular writers to do, and since DC was trying to recruit new talent, the best way to get them interested and saying yes is to ask them what they want to do. Now maybe they didn't cast a wide enough net to bring in a different set of writers, or they did and some chose not to pitch, the pitches weren't viable or possibly needed more development and will come later. Not every writer wants to jump aboard a new unproven line, some may be waiting to see how the launch goes, and others may have had deadlines on their own books that precluded involvement at the launch but may participate later.

I think this is a positive step to reach a new generation of readers, something that the industry hasn't done since the newsstand stopped being viable. The direct market was never st up to attract new readers. It was set up by Seuling and company to sell books to people who already know what they want, which is why the non-returnable model worked then. But it's financially unsound to stock books you aren't sure you can sell to an audience you aren't sure exists if you are shouldering all the risks, and if books aren't on the shelves for customers to buy without preordering, it doesn't matter if new customers come in or not (and it's usually not), there's nothing for them to buy. The direct market was never intended to be a growth market or outreach to new readers, it was intended to sell books to the hardcore customer base. The problem is they lost the feeder program for that customer base when they lost newsstands (and newsstand had become non-viable anyways) but never invested in a new feeder market because sales in the direct market were so robust at the time. Now, a couple generations later, they are feeling the effects of not capturing enough new readers from those generations and direct market sales are less than robust. Programs like this (and Super-Hero Girls and books like Ms. Marvel in the Scholastic market for Marvel) are needed to create a new feeder program to bring new generations of readers into the fold, and should be applauded whether the books themselves interest you personally or not.

-M
    Damn well said, and exactly on point.

What I have never understood is why the industry (not just DC) didn't do anything about this for so long.

We've known the market was shrinking for ages. We've known that new fans aren't coming in (at least not in solid numbers). I've been seeing fans on message boards like this debating the problem and the possible solutions to it for twenty years or so, long before I myself started studying business and marketing.

That its taken this long for a real, directed effort to expand readership boggles the mind.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-06-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well, it wasn't really a cameo, more like a guest appearance that will probably lead into her own arc in the current season of webisodes.
    I hope so...

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

https://twitter.com/bottomshelfbks/s...17080266604547

The Green Lantern in "Legacy" will be a new character, an Asian teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    https://twitter.com/bottomshelfbks/s...17080266604547

The Green Lantern in "Legacy" will be a new character, an Asian teenager.
    I like the concept a lot. DC Zoom is a different imprint out of continuity, so I'm not worried about the "too many Lanterns" thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Damn well said, and exactly on point.

What I have never understood is why the industry (not just DC) didn't do anything about this for so long.

We've known the market was shrinking for ages. We've known that new fans aren't coming in (at least not in solid numbers). I've been seeing fans on message boards like this debating the problem and the possible solutions to it for twenty years or so, long before I myself started studying business and marketing.

That its taken this long for a real, directed effort to expand readership boggles the mind.
    Do you think The Miraculous Ladybug and P J Masks could possibly have inspired DC into action?