Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I like the concept a lot. DC Zoom is a different imprint out of continuity, so I'm not worried about the "too many Lanterns" thing.
    I understand the "too much lanterns" complaint but I wouldn't mind a earth lantern for every race. Just don't throw them all in one book or team. They don't even need to be assigned to Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    And yet again, DC Entertainment ignores Vixen by not including her in any of this. First "DC Superhero Girls" (aside from a cameo in one 5-minute webisode) and now this.
    It's not like DC Entertainment has forgotten Vixen exists. Vixen is a main character on the DC's Legends of Tomorrow live action TV series and an animated character on the Vixen animated series on the CW Seed.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I understand the "too much lanterns" complaint but I wouldn't mind a earth lantern for every race. Just don't throw them all in one book or team. They don't even need to be assigned to Earth.
    I'm sure they would still find a way to give Hal a cameo in this book. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I like the concept a lot. DC Zoom is a different imprint out of continuity, so I'm not worried about the "too many Lanterns" thing.
    My issue is that I don't get the logic of introducing a new GL to potential new fans, when the character doesn't exist in main continuity. Why not just do your own spin on Jessica or Simon? They're diverse and readily available.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Again, DC is not assigning these to writers, they are accepting pitches form young adult writers and the writer doing it probably pitched their own character as part of it, not one of the existing Lanterns. If DC didn't like the overall pitch, it wouldn;t have been greenlit, but they weren't asking for pitches for specific charaxters, just for pitches for the young adult (or toddler) market featuring DC concepts.

If they didn't get a Jessica or Simon pitch they liked, then that's why those characters aren't featured. Same with Vixen. If they had gotten a pitch they liked (or they may not have gotten any pitches featuring them at all) they would have gone with that.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, they're just setting up the big properties. Its a little sad to see characters like Vixen and Black Lightning and Ryan Choi not getting in on the first round of announcements, but no one should have expected anything different. When you launch a new high value line of products, you tend to lead with your best IPs. That means the Bat, the League, and the Titans (for this demo).

The more diverse characters will come in the next wave, I'm sure.

You need those DIVERSE books NOW-not wave two or three.

Folks are SCREAMING for it now. Kids don't give a DAMN about best IP this or who is popular according to adults.

There is a reason they fight over Manga more than superheroes.

There is a reason Miles Morales's novel was a best seller in less than a week.

That DC list sounds like they didn't get that memo.

Batman nor Superman need any more setting up. This company has to show it's more than those 2.

No Black Lightning or Cyborg book-oh well Miles & Panther will gladly take those sales.

No Vixen or Jessica? Ms Marvel & Moon Girl & Squirrel Girl say thanks.

Those Dc books do me no good-my kids won't touch them. To them it's same old same old mess.

That is what Dc doesn't get-you are in this mess because you are tossing out the same folks to those who are not interested.

Now would have been a good time to do a book line building up Cyborg-along with others. A Cyborg & Batman story. Supergirl & Jessica novel. WW & Vixen. In other words sell who you have and show them along side bigger names as equals.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    My issue is that I don't get the logic of introducing a new GL to potential new fans, when the character doesn't exist in main continuity. Why not just do your own spin on Jessica or Simon? They're diverse and readily available.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
    Because the writer wanted to do his own take separate from continuity. He didn't want to use Jessica or Simon, he wanted to make his own story. What's hard to get about that?

It's seriously starting to get pathetic who you guy's are begging authors to pick and like your favorite diverse character.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Because the writer wanted to do his own take separate from continuity. He didn't want to use Jessica or Simon, he wanted to make his own story. What's hard to get about that?

It's seriously starting to get pathetic who you guy's are begging authors to pick and like your favorite diverse character.
    It's not pathetic! DC's issue with diversity is that they don't comprehend what momentum is! They keep introducing new minority characters, at the expense of the ones already in existence, that end up disappearing just as quickly as they were introduced. Rinse and repeat.

These new lines are supposed to introduce new readers to DC characters. But they're using a "diverse character" who doesn't exist in the DCU! You don't see the problem? If they wanted a diverse lead for GL, there's already John, Simon, and Jessica! If they wanted an Asian lead, then they should have done something with Kenan Kong and the JLC! No wonder their minority heroes aren't as popular as their White counterparts, the latter get to appear everywhere while the former get replaced over and over again by new versions fulfilling the same role.
    Last edited by El_Gato; 02-11-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Fantastic Member

It's not pathetic! DC's issue with diversity is that they don't conprehend what momentum is! They keep introducing new minority characters, at the expense of the ones already in existence, that end up disappearing just as quickly as they were introduced. Rinse and repeat.

These new lines are supposed to introduce new readers to DC characters. But they're using a "diverse character" who doesn't exist in the DCU! You don't see the problem? If they wanted a diverse lead for GL, there's already John, Simon, and Jessica! If they wanted an Asian lead, then they should have done something with Kenan Kong and the JLC! No wonder their minority heroes aren't as popular as their White counterparts, the latter get to appear everywhere while the former get replaced over and over again by new versions fulfilling the same role.
    These new lines are not meant to introduce new readers to the DC. Its is meant to reach an audience that was untapped because the direct market is dying!

They wanted to do a chinese GL because they wanted to. Stop begging for people to like your favorite minority characters. It's getting embarrassing.

These new lines are not meant to introduce new readers to the DC. Its is meant to reach an audience that was untapped because the direct market is dying!

They wanted to do a chinese GL because they wanted to. Stop begging for people to like your favorite minority characters. It's getting embarrassing.
    I'm not begging anyone to like any of my favorite minority characters! I'm pissed off that DC keeps introducing new minority characters that fulfill the same role as another, over and over again! Its a momentum issue. I don't get how you don't comprehend that?

And this new line is supposed to introduce new fans to the DCU! What happens when they find out Chinese GL doesn't exist outside of that book!? Sigh DC, it's always 5 steps forward and 10 steps back with them...

Fantastic Member

I'm not begging anyone to like any of my favorite minority characters! I'm pissed off that DC keeps introducing new minority characters that fulfill the same role as another, over and over again! Its a momentum issue. I don't get how you don't comprehend that?

And this new line is supposed to introduce new fans to the DCU! What happens when they find out Chinese GL doesn't exist outside of that book!? Sigh DC, it's always 5 steps forward and 10 steps back with them...
    You only want to hear yourself talk so I'm done with this. I've said my piece.

You only want to hear yourself talk so I'm done with this. I've said my piece.
    You were claiming things that were untrue anyway. Perfect example of moving the goal post.

Fantastic Member

You were claiming things that were untrue anyway. Perfect example of moving the goal post.
    NOTHING I FUCKING CLAIMED WAS UNTRUE. I moved no goal post, and you made no real points. You just said the same thing over and over again.

NOTHING I FUCKING CLAIMED WAS UNTRUE. I moved no goal post, and you made no real points. You just said the same thing over and over again.
    You claimed I was begging people to "like my favorite minority characters" which is completely false! If that were the case I'd be begging for Blue Beetle and Black Lightning! I simply pointed out that I don't get the logic of creating a brand new "diverse Lantern" when several already exist that could use the exposure!

Also I wouldn't have to repeat myself if you actually understood my point in the first place! My complaint was about momentum and DC's history with of replacing minority characters with copy cats.

PS: I'd watch the profanity if I were you. It's against the rules.

Fantastic Member

You claimed I was begging people to "like my favorite minority characters" which is completely false! If that were the case I'd be begging for Blue Beetle and Black Lightning! I simply pointed out that I don't get the logic of creating a brand new "diverse Lantern" when several already exist that could use the exposure!

Also I wouldn't have to repeat myself if you actually understood my point in the first place! My complaint was about momentum and DC's history with of replacing minority characters with copy cats.

PS: I'd watch the profanity if I were you. It's against the rules.
    I'm done with this. You don't get it and that's okay.