Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This caught my attention. Fascinating read and quite informative. Bruce has had quite a few loves and real relationships then again it has been 75 odd years.Never realised he had come close to committing this many times.

How does he juggle WE, Batmaning, JL, Charity events, brooding, single dadding and still find time for Date nights. Impressive.
    It helps when one's partner can be in involved in a lot of the same things. The short run in TEC when he partners up full time with Catwoman has them "Batmanning" together, going out on dates after patrol, bonding time between Robin and Catwoman (she helps him cope with a loss, and they have what amounts to a step-mom and "kid-who-doesn't-want-a-new-mom" heart-to-heart). And of course Selina is a frequent guest of his at charity events, occasional helper with JL, and she could probably give some pointers on WE security. As for the brooding - she doesn't seem to let it bother her, and when it does she knows how to get him to stop

Honestly though, a big theme of his past relationships is that they didn't work out because of the reasons you mention. But it's one of the reason the Catwoman one has had such staying power (being too cautious to trust was their issue).

Quote Originally Posted by K Nikk View Post
    It helps when one's partner can be in involved in a lot of the same things. The short run in TEC when he partners up full time with Catwoman has them "Batmanning" together, going out on dates after patrol, bonding time between Robin and Catwoman (she helps him cope with a loss, and they have what amounts to a step-mom and "kid-who-doesn't-want-a-new-mom" heart-to-heart). And of course Selina is a frequent guest of his at charity events, occasional helper with JL, and she could probably give some pointers on WE security. As for the brooding - she doesn't seem to let it bother her, and when it does she knows how to get him to stop

Honestly though, a big theme of his past relationships is that they didn't work out because of the reasons you mention. But it's one of the reason the Catwoman one has had such staying power (being too cautious to trust was their issue).
    That does sound nice.
    Inner happiness would eliminate the brood from his to-do-list

I would argue that past relationships didn't work because that was the direction / outcome already set out. Batman has built up a large team of helpers that cut down on his patrol time heck he can just do JL stuff should he choose to. Infact they did fine doing all that when he wasn't there including the single dadding which currently isn't found it's way on to his to do list.

They didn't work because the writers chose to have them not work.

Selina is a good partner for Bruce and I'm sure he loves her just like he loves his kids but to be whole he has to truly deal with what's inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Now, a couple of questions: I'm super unfamiliar with anything after New 52, but this Batman Inc thing you guys are talking about is in that timeline, right? I edited my fourth post to reflect that.

Also, anyone wanna elaborate on this Jessica person?
    Edit

So sorry Batman Inc crosses both timelines. Vol 1 isn't nu52 but Vol 2 is nu52

sorry now you have to update again. My bad dude
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-08-2018 at 03:44 AM.

This caught my attention. That's a lot to digest numbering helps. Fascinating read and very informative.
    Bruce has had quite a few loves and relationships then again it has been 75 odd years.Never realised he had come close to committing this many times thought this was the 1st time.

How does he juggle WE, Batmaning, JL, Charity events, brooding, single dadding and still find time for Date nights. Impressive.

Bruce has been trying to find happiness and peace for a while now it seems.Dude isn't a loner at all.
    Yes, this is why knowing History of these characters are good. You get a better understanding of the characters and why certain characters relate to each other or why other characters are bonded.

Like having "rooftop" sex isn't part of Bat and Cat's history. That's something that started with the N52, which erased a lot of the original history and emotional connection between them. That's why it was jarring to see that for a lot of fans and non-fans too.

Or seeing more love interests like a Silver St. Cloud, who in all honestly, was the best person for Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post

Kinda sucks that all that history with Catwoman was eradicated Post-Crisis. Makes me wonder about how it all developed Post-Crisis, how and when he learned her identity, and what history they had that led up to that kiss in Hush.
    The history that lead up to HUSH was everything between Miller and Loeb. Their interactions and history built up a lot during the late 80's and 90s where even though they started out rough, eventually they began to trust each other and then she began to help him out and then he began to have her back. After years and years of doing this, they just grew closer and more trusting of each other.

By the time it got to Loeb, they were much, much closer and more into each other than they were when they first started. But they always had that attraction to each other.

I'm going to say this, Andrea Beaumont was a really good first young love for Bruce. She was kind of like that "last chance" love before he really became full-on Batman. Had it worked out I think he might not had been the "darker, more grimer" version that he bacame. (At least in the animated world)

But then again, I don't know if it could had worked out permanently either. Like, I wonder if Batman's deeper obsession with Gotham would had gotten in the way with a regular relationship with Andrea.

Not to mention, she did become the Phantasm so it's not like she was just a regular woman like say, Julie or Silver.
    Last edited by WontonGirl; 02-08-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    I'm going to say this, Andrea Beaumont was a really good first young love for Bruce. She was kind of like that "last chance" love before he really became full-on Batman. Had it worked out I think he might not had been the "darker, more grimer" version that he bacame. (At least in the animated world)

But then again, I don't know if it could had worked out permanently either. Like, I wonder if Batman's deeper obsession with Gotham would had gotten in the way with a regular relationship with Andrea.

Not to mention, she did become the Phantasm so it's not like she was just a regular woman like say, Julie or Silver.
    That's all I see her as...this "last chance" first love.

Permanently?...I think we'll never know. Part of the subtle genius of the film is the subtle question of whether Bruce or Andrea affected each other's trajectories as far as Andrea ending it and Bruce's arguable giving up on it. If Bruce chased her down after the letter to the ends of the earth, might she not have become Phantasm? Could she truly have kept Bruce from being Batman if she hadn't ran off because of her dad? These mysteries add to the "tragedy."

Anyway, what a movie...what a Batman love letter to noir and its romantic fatalistic tragedies. The movie represents so much of what I love about Batman and his genre influences.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-08-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    I'm a Vicki Vale fan. I think it's a friggin scandal how much she is underused. She's the most memorable love interest in Batman movie franchise history. They did end up bringing her back when Brice came back to the present but even then it felt forced. Aside from that I had been out of comics for a while until then end of Hush and them countdown to Infinite Crisis started and I was truly sucked back in with The Omac Project. Sasha Bordeux always seemed different than to other writers. I will always love me some Greg Rucka. He easily did as much for Batman at the turn of the century than Any writer today.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I don't know I have a soft spot for Pfeiffer as far as movie loves go.
    And I love what Camren Bicondova is doing with Selina Kyle on the TV show Gotham and how Selina relates to Bruce Wayne there.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    That's incorrect.

Grant Morrison when he introduced the child into current canon based his origin on Son of Demon a story he vaguely recalled and somehow remembered as rape. A grave error that has since being retconed thankfully. He has since admitted his mistake and Ra's/Talia has been known to drug him in other stories but never in a date rape scenerio.

According to Morrison the any romantic ties between the two ended in Batman Inc.
    Talia saying Bruce will never forgive her for what she's about to do. Shortly after Heretic killed Damian
    Don't believe that has been retconed. Robin Rises does show the bubbles still in his drink.
    I thought it was too but after a heated debate with a poster here I revisited the issue and sure enough it appears someone forget to take the out trash.

Spectacular Member

That does sound nice.
    Inner happiness would eliminate the brood from his to-do-list

I would argue that past relationships didn't work because that was the direction / outcome already set out. Batman has built up a large team of helpers that cut down on his patrol time heck he can just do JL stuff should he choose to. Infact they did fine doing all that when he wasn't there including the single dadding which currently isn't found it's way on to his to do list.

They didn't work because the writers chose to have them not work.

Selina is a good partner for Bruce and I'm sure he loves her just like he loves his kids but to be whole he has to truly deal with what's inside.
    True. At the end of the day these aren't real people and writers decide what works and doesn't. There is something to be said for different generations of writers being attracted to a particular couple more often than others-but doesn't go much further than that.

I agree to be whole comes from within. It can't just be about romantic love or familial love or what external people bring into your life. But I think the bond with a partner (romantic is only a part of that) gets downplayed too often in favour of bonds with kids. Life-long romantic partnerships are not just to make children but for mutual and equal support, companionship, etc. some people want batman to only get happiness from his kids or have a romantic partnership take second place always to his kids. Kids have to grow up and leave and find their own lives, their parent deserve to have THEIR own life too. Unless the goal is for the kids of a single parent to never pursue family or romantic relationships of their own (since their relationship with their father and siblings and extended family is sufficient?). The relationship between parent and child cannot be equal - a parent will always owe more to the child than vice versa (how often do people talk about Bruce neglecting his kids rather than whether his kids are neglecting him?). Single parents deserve to carve out time to seek out a romantic partner even if it means kids take back seat for a bit. And a step-parent deserves to feel included and not as a second class family member. Kids (above a certain age) that can't give their parent that freedom are only thinking of themselves in the end and that is a sign of an unsupportive relationship.

This comment is more in reaction to what I was reading in another thread I guess and what I pull from personal experiences in life. Marriage isn't just about monogamy. Its about a commitment to love and support one another in good times and bad. It's why it's such a big deal for marriage equality. It's not an after-thought or a second tier relationship in comparison to the other relationships people have in life. Not that all people need to be married but obviously Bruce is someone who values that relationship considering the number of serious relationships he has had tried.
    Last edited by K Nikk; 02-11-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    That's all I see her as...this "last chance" first love.

Permanently?...I think we'll never know. Part of the subtle genius of the film is the subtle question of whether Bruce or Andrea affected each other's trajectories as far as Andrea ending it and Bruce's arguable giving up on it. If Bruce chased her down after the letter to the ends of the earth, might she not have become Phantasm? Could she truly have kept Bruce from being Batman if she hadn't ran off because of her dad? These mysteries add to the "tragedy."

Anyway, what a movie...what a Batman love letter to noir and its romantic fatalistic tragedies. The movie represents so much of what I love about Batman and his genre influences.
    Yes it was a great movie AND shown that romance in the Batman world, done right, can be very entertaining.

And you are right, it's the "you never know". But remember what Alfred DID tell Bruce, that once Andrea got on that path, there wasn't anything he could had done to altered that. She was going to do it.

And sometimes that happens. Everybody you love or fall in love with isn't meant to be permanent or will be permanent. Because your life takes different paths. He was meant to be what he is, she wasn't meant to be part of his journey.

BANNED

Funtastic research but really.

Peter Parker, Matt Murduck Hercules and Tony Stark can each give a run on Bruce if not outright take that throne.

Incredible Member

Does anyone know where any of these scans of Batman/Wonder Woman come from?

https://www.quora.com/Does-Batman-love-Wonder-Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K Nikk View Post
    True. At the end of the day these aren't real people and writers decide what works and doesn't. There is something to be said for different generations of writers being attracted to a particular couple more often than others-but doesn't go much further than that.

I agree to be whole comes from within. It can't just be about romantic love or familial love or what external people bring into your life. But I think the bond with a partner (romantic is only a part of that) gets downplayed too often in favour of bonds with kids. Life-long romantic partnerships are not just to make children but for mutual and equal support, companionship, etc. some people want batman to only get happiness from his kids or have a romantic partnership take second place always to his kids. Kids have to grow up and leave and find their own lives, their parent deserve to have THEIR own life too. Unless the goal is for the kids of a single parent to never pursue family or romantic relationships of their own (since their relationship with their father and siblings and extended family is sufficient?). The relationship between parent and child cannot be equal - a parent will always owe more to the child than vice versa (how often do people talk about Bruce neglecting his kids rather than whether his kids are neglecting him?). Single parents deserve to carve out time to seek out a romantic partner even if it means kids take back seat for a bit. And a step-parent deserves to feel included and not as a second class family member. Kids (above a certain age) that can't give their parent that freedom are only thinking of themselves in the end and that is a sign of an unsupportive relationship.

This comment is more in reaction to what I was reading in another thread I guess and what I pull from personal experiences in life. Marriage isn't just about monogamy. Its about a commitment to love and support one another in good times and bad. It's why it's such a big deal for marriage equality. It's not an after-thought or a second tier relationship in comparison to the other relationships people have in life. Not that all people need to be married but obviously Bruce is someone who values that relationship considering the number of serious relationships he has had tried.
    I agree!

It's why Bat-Cat in King's run has been so wonderful. It shows Batman understanding relationships for ... maybe the first time?? Unlike Andrea Beaumont, Silver St. Cloud, or Rachel Dawes, Catwoman doesn't represent an escapist fantasy. She isn't just a physical representation of an unattainable idea that Batman is attracted to. Catwoman is... who she is. Just as Batman is who he is. They balance each other. It's an ideal relationship for them both, for two broken people. For Bruce Wayne, the logical end-game master, having balance in his life is a benefit across the board. The question always comes down to trust — not Batman's strong suit — but of anyone in the world capable of forcing him to trust, Catwoman is that person.

It's interesting, Batman & Superman both married with children. I hope DC has the bravery to not throw away this status-quo, because they have the potential to be truly "mature, adult" comic books, in a true sense, rather than being codewords for gore/cursing/whatever. It's a more mature, adult storytelling.

Don't forget to add Wonder Woman and Jessica Cruz
    maybe Harley Quinn too