Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Batman's entire romantic history.

Hey, everyoen! So, as we lal know, Batman seems to have the most lengthy list of love interests than any character in comics. So naturally, I just had to do my research and find them all!

I’ve separated it by the various versions of Batman that have been the prime versions. I have listed the Earth-Two version and the Earth-One/Post-Crisis/New Earth version. I know almost nothing about New 52 continuity, so I’ve included what I found on some wikis, without knowing a lot of the details.

This is all done by online research, including wikipedia and other wikis. So I make reference to not having all the information. I welcome clarification and elaboration on some stuff. I also have them numbered, but I don’t number relationships where the woman turned out to be evil all along, as you know, those weren’t real relationships with any particular future.

Earth-Two

1. Julie Madison - From 1939 to 1941 (Detective Comics #31-49), Bruce was depicted as being engaged to movie star Julie Madison, who was oblivious to his life as Batman. Julie was introduced in Detective Comics #31, and their break-up was shown in issue #49

2. Catwoman
    - During this time, in 1940 (Batman #1), Batman first met Catwoman. Immediately attracted to the thief, in their first encounter, he lets her go. They would have a continual romantic tension over the years, amidst his other love interests and girlfriends.

3. Linda Page - The Golden Age Bruce Wayne’s next girlfriend would be Linda Page, who lasted from 1941 to 1943 (Batman #5-15), the two breaking up without her ever learning his true identity

There is no clear dividing line between where the adventures of Earth-Two Batman ended and those of Earth-One Batman began, but many have claimed it should be considered the introduction of the yellow oval on Batman’s emblem in 1964. All I know is that Batwoman is confirmed to exist on Earth-Two, so I will continue the Earth-Two history until after her inclusion.

4. 3. Vicki Vale, introduced in 1948, next became the character’s main love interest. She was essentially an attempt to reproduce the same dynamic of Superman and Lois Lane. She was a reporter who constantly suspected Batman and Bruce Wayne to be the same person, yet failing to prove it. She remained a presence in his life in this way for 15 years (crossing over into the Earth-One years), but the two never entered into a relationship in that time.

4. Kathy Kane / Batwoman was introduced in 1956 (Detective Comics #233). She fought crime with Batman, with the two not knowing each other’s secret identities.

It was later claimed that, on Earth-Two, Batman never returned her advances, seeing her only as a friend (so I’m not sure if this counts, then, but that’s how she was treated, so there!)

It was later revealed, of course, that Earth-Two Batman eventually turned Catwoman into an honest woman, married her, and had a child, before being killed on the job. His daughter, Helena Wayne, grew up to become the superheroine Huntress
    Last edited by Slimybug; 02-04-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Incredible Member

Earth-One/Post-Crisis/New Earth

As you’ll see, since the Crisis, writers seem very fond of telling stories set in the past that retroactively give him love interests early on in his career.

1. Dawn Golden - This one confuses me. Apparently (according to the DC wiki) she was Bruce’s childhood friend, the daughter of another billionaire. The two later dated, and she broke his heart in college (which seems to conflict with the idea of Bruce in his college years being so focused on becoming a crimefighter, rather than dating).
    (this occured via retcon in Batman: The Dark Knight #1-5 in 2011, one of the last pieces of continuity before the New 52 reboot.

2. Catwoman and Batman’s first Earth-One/Post-Crisis/New Earth meeting was documented in Batman: Year One. The same tension followed them through their careers.

3. Lorna Shore was a museum curator that Bruce fell hard for. The two started dating, with Bruce stating it was the first time he felt at peace since his parent’s death. But after his (first?) encounter with the Joker (which would put it at the end of Year One), and realizing there would be more like him, he decided his life was too dangerous for love, and broke up with her. She then moved to Metropolis.

4. Rachel Caspian fell in love with Bruce Wayne in the storyline Batman: Year Two. The two became engaged, and Bruce planned to give up his life as Batman to marry her. but when she realized her father had been a vicious supervillain called The Reaper, she decided to become a nun to atone for his sins.
    That’s pretty stupid, conflicts with the story of Lorna Shore (which came later) and I’ve heard this story was apparently eliminated from continuity at some point, but I’m still including it.

5. Julie Madison was retroactively put back in Bruce’s life in the mini-series Batman and the Mad Monk. This version of Julie was a wealthy heiress who started a relationship with Bruce. After her father was killed as a result of Batman’s actions, and she learned

-- Also “early in his career,” Bruce fell for a woman named Jillian Maxwell after meeting her a costume party. He later discovered she was a con-artist who specialized in seducing wealthy young men and arranged their deaths so she could claim their wealth (Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Special #1)

6. Vicki Vale - Again, the photojournalist trying to prove Batman and Bruce Wayne were one and the same never actually entered into a relationship with either during this time.

7. Kathy Kane / Batwoman -
    Grant Morrison later retroactively showed a sexual relationship between the two. I’m not sure if this means they discovered each other’s identities.

Batwoman and Vicki Vale were both a part of Batman’s life for several years, along with the ever-present Catwoman.

In 1964, with new management at DC, the characters of Vicki Vale and Batwoman both disappeared from the comics.

8. Black Canary shared a moment with Batman In 1970, in Justice League of America #84, in which the two fall into a silent kiss. Normally, a one-off like this wouldn’t be included, but the woman-in-question is a JLA member with whom he would continue to serve alongside for years. (So...drama!!!) I mean, it definitely would have led to an awkward conversation with Ollie. This also would not be their last kiss.

9. Talia Al Ghul was introduced in 1971. The daughter of terrorist Ra’s Al Ghul, who considered Batman a worthy heir, and wanted him to marry her. Although Batman had no interest in running a terrorist organization, he and Talia developed feelings for each other, which, like Catwoman, were blocked by their being on opposite sides of the law. Also like Catwoman, she would continue to experience constant tension with him through the years, amidst all his other love interests and girlfriends.

In the late 1970s, Batwoman briefly returned to action before being killed by the League of Assassins in 1979 (Detective Comics #485)

10. Silver St. Cloud was a wealthy socialite introduced for a large storyline that lasted from 1978-1979 (Detective Comics #469-479), where she and Bruce fall for each otehr and form a relationship. When she discovers his identity as Batman, she breaks it off, unwillign to be with someone in such a dangerous lifestyle.

In 1980, (The Brave and the Bold #166), Batman and Black Canary once again team up, this time with Black Canary throwing herself at him and kissing him. She is definitely the agressor, though, with no real affection being shown by Bruce. And again, awkward conversation with Ollie.

At some point around this time, Bruce entered into a relationship with Selina Kyle, who he knew to be formerly Catwoman, now reformed. She, however, did not know him to be Batman. Apparerently they actually dated for some time before breaking up.

11. Julia Pennyworth - Alfred’s daughter became a love interest for Bruce beginning in 1981.

Vicki also returned to Batman’s life in 1982. Apparently Vicki and and Julia had a rivalry for Bruce’s affections. (very Lois-Lane/Lana-Lang)

In 1982 (Batman #355), Selina Kyle sees Bruce and Vicki together, and in an act of jealousy, tries to run them off the road. Bruce goes to her place as Batman, and the two engage in a fight before she comes to her senses and regrets all her actions. She is here depicted as knowing Batman's identity as Bruce, even though she never did before! This introduces a whole continuity mess into these proceedings: Whether or not she knows.

12. Natalia Knight / Nocturna - I'm still unclear on the details of this one. Introduced in 1983, what I’ve read says that she was a thief with a disease causing albino skin and great sensitivity to light. She apparently adopted Jason Todd, and later realized Bruce Wayne and Batman were one and the same. The two entered into a relationship, but Bruce later realized his feelings for her were caused by a narcotic perfume she used that caused loving feelings in men. But after this, he still holds serious romantic feelings for her. I’m not sure how long after her introduction this relationship started, or when it ended.

Batman and Natalia had their last kiss in Nov. 1985 (Detective #556). The next issue he tells Catwoman his true feelings are for her. (not sure how tht worked out)

Bruce’s relationship with Natalia coincided with the time that Julia, Vicki, and Catwoman were vying for his affections. And that’s not even bringing in the occasional Talia!

It was revealed at that same time that Catwoman does not, at this time, know Batman's secret identity. The writers then penned a letter in a later issue admitting their mistake in #355. So that issue is basically apocryphal.
    (Of course, DC NEVER just drops anything from continuity, there's always gotta be some sorta explanation. So let's just say this was a Superboy-punch blip in reality.)

Apparently Selina and him once again formed a relationship (in which guises, I don't know) before breaking up again. Then a 1986 issue shows Catwoman attempting to woo Batman back, calling him Bruce. So once again, she knows! This, however, can be explained. Even though he's never shown telling her, we can at least assume he has, as, unlike last time, the writers don't go back on the idea. She definitely knows now. (Also of note, her identity as Catwoman is publically known, as she has been arrested before)

Vicki disappeared again around 1986, and follwing the Crisis, Julia was apparently wiped from continuity (Though, given how much Infinite Crisis and the aftermath liked to reinstate such continuity, she may be canon again). So all three of those were gone by the late 80s.

In Jan. 1987 (Detective Comics 3570), Joker puts Catwoman in a brainwashing machine and essentially turns her evil again. He tries to elicit Batman's secret identity from her, but a doctor warns him to try and elicit information so soon after taking her out of the machine could cause information inher brain to be lost forever. She gives him a name, but it's the wrong one. Hence, there is an in-continuity explanation as to why Catwoman is bad again, and why she doesn't know Batman's secret identity anymore.
    (This story has some elements that don't apparently jive with either pre-crisis or post-Crisis continuity, and was later stated in Crisis on Infnite Earths: The Compendium, to take place on Earth-85.)

Batman’s relationship with Talia definitely became full-on sexual in 1987’s Batman: Son of the Demon. A child is shown at the end, believed to be the product of this union. However, it is later stated that the child was conceived after Talia drugged and raped Batman in a separate encounter.

Vicki came back again for her third stint as Bruce’s squeeze around 1989 (to coincide with her presence in the movie) until 1991. After some time in a relationship, Bruce ultimately struggles with whether or not to tell her his identity, ultimately deciding to end things again.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 02-07-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Incredible Member

13. Shondra Kinsolving was a psychic who was brought in to help Bruce/Batman recuperate after Bane broke his back in 1992. They had a brief love affair before she was kidnapped by the villain, and her half-brother, Benedict Asp, who used her powers for his own purposes, an act which regressed her mind to childhood, in 1994.

During that time, there's also some new continuity established. We see in 1993's Batman #499 that Selina Kyle's identity is now secret, even from Bruce, and she and Bruce Wayne have only met once before out of costume, and certainly never dated. This is apparently an intentional change in continuity made possible by the Crisis. In addition to wiping Julia Pennyworth out of existence, they also eliminated much of his history with Catwoman.
    So, during that time in the early '80s, now he had only Vicki and Natalia to contend with. Good for him!

Here's another summary for that whole mess of wether Catwoman knows his identity or not....
    http://thebatmanuniverse.net/catwoman-29/

14. Vesper Fairchild was a radio talk show host who, in 1997, began a relationship with Bruce Wayne. This ended when she left town during the events of No Man’s Land in 1999.

15. Sasha Bordeaux was introduced in Dec. 2000, as Bruce’s bodyguard. She herself deduced his identity as Batman. He decides to train her as a fellow vigilante, and during this time, she falls in love with him, though it is at first one-sided.

Vesper later returned and she and Bruce rekindled their relationship, before, in 2002, she was shot and killed on the orders of Lex Luthor. Bruce and Sasha were framed for the crime, but later exonerated.

Sasha was apparently killed in prison, but was actually recruited by Checkmate. Bruce eventually finds her, and confesses his love for her, but she tells him to let her go.

From Dec. 2002 to 2003, the Hush storyline featured Batman and Catwoman’s relationship finally becoming...a relationship. He had known her true identity for a long time, but in these issues, the two become an item and he reveals his identity to her. After he is betrayed by a friend, the trust he showed her is replaced by his old, and now growing, paranoia, including suspicion of her, which ends the relationship

16. Wonder Woman - Apparently this tension became a thing for about ten issues, from JLA #80-90 in 2003-04, where they admitted feelings for each other, kissed, and talked about forming a relationship before deciding it wouldn’t lead anywhere good.

There’s also this website that has all these photos of their kisses, but with no caption as to what issues they come from, which is very frustrating to me….

https://www.quora.com/Does-Batman-love-Wonder-Woman

In 2005 (in Batman: Dark Detective), Silver St. Cloud came back into Bruce’s life, now engaged to a campaigning senator. The two grow close again, and she prepares to leave her fiance for him. After the senator is maimed by the joker, Bruce encourages her to stay with him until his campaign is over, which infuriates Silver into leaving him again.

In Mar. 2006 (Birds of Prey #90), Batman assists the Birds of Prey, after which Dinah plants a kiss on (a very surprised) Batman for the third time (and the second time uninvited). Dang, sorry Ollie!

Very close to that time, during the events of Infinite Crisis in mid-2006, Batman fights side by side with Sasha Bordeaux again, resulting in a passionate kiss. Batman’s caption reads something like “I tell myself I’ll never let her go again.” But apparently he did, because they never got together after that.

In Sept. 2006, Batman discovered that he had a son with Talia. I feel like it was around this time that Talia had begun to be written as far more villainous, and this issue states that Talia even drugged and raped Bruce to conceive Damian. So the real reason I mention this is that it seemed to end any real romantic tension or possibility for Bruce and Talia. But it was later retconned again that this was not how Damian was conceived.

--In late 2006/early 2007, Bruce met Jezebel Jet, another wealthy socialite, and entered into a relationship. It was later learned that she was an agent of the Black Hand, plotting to kill him. She was then killed, in 2008, on Talia’s orders.

17. Zatanna
    - In 2007 (Detective Comics #833-834), apparently during his relationship with Jezebel (??), it’s revealed that Bruce and Zatanna were childhood friends. These issues deal with Bruce finally forgiving Zatanna for the memory-wipe she commited upon him in Identity Crisis. Once he does, however, the two begin to fall for each other. They decide not to pursue it, with Zatanna stating “I can’t be with a man who is more passionate about his demons than he is about me.”

18. Bekka - Starting that same month (Aug. 2007, until Jan. 2008, in Superman/Batman #37-42), Batman apparently almost got his adultery on, having a period of romantic tension with Orion’s wife until she was killed.

Jezebel, Zatanna, and a married woman. Not a bad month!

From 2009, to 2010 (in Batman: The Widening Gyre), Silver St. Cloud once again entered into a relationship with Bruce. Catwoman becomes jealous and throws herself at Bruce, with the two entering into a kiss. But he goes back to Silver.
    However, the villain Onomonapeia attacks her and cuts her throat. This would seem to indicate her death, but the cliffhanger was never followed up on.

In 2010 (Bruce Wayne: The Return Home), Vicki Vale finally learns Batman’s true identity, yet does not renew their relationship.

In 2011 (if that’s when Batman: The Dark Knight #1-5 takes place, it honestly could be a period-piece; I’m not sure) Batman re-encounters Dawn Golden, who is on the run from her father, who wants to sacrifice her to turn himself into an immortal. Batman fails to save her, as she is killed by her father, but Batman and Etrigan then succeed in destroying him.

Apparently, the storyline "Gotham's Most Wanted" from Batman Inc. in February 2013 applies to both New Earth and New 52 (Prime Earth) continuity (???). In that story, Talia has her and Bruce's son, Damian, killed. This, then, seemed to truly put an end to any Bruce/Talia romance. But (at least in the New 52) Damian was resurrected, and Talia's actions (here and in recent history) are blamed on the negative effects on her mind of the Lazarus Pit.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 02-11-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Incredible Member

New 52

1. Mio was an agent of the League of Assassins while a pre-Batman Bruce trained wtih them. The two fell for each other. Obviously, Bruce eventually found himself in conflict with the League’s philosophies, and attempted to stop Mio from committign an assassination. The fight apparently ended with Mio being speared by fallen glass and thought dead by Bruce. She was, in truth, faking her death, and was granted superhuman control over shadows by Ra’s, taking the name Penumbra.

Talia Al Ghul - From what I'm hearing on here, Bruce and Talia shared the same romantic bond in the New 52 Universe, where Damian was also born, before his mother had him killed. This behavior was later linked to the effect of the Lazarus Pit on her psyche, and Damian was later resurrected.

2. Selina Kyle / Catwoman and Bruce have the same tension as in other versions.

3. Charlotte Rivers, a news reporter, had a brief relationship with Bruce Wayne before moving to Paris.

4. Natalya Trusevich, introduced in 2012, was a Ukrainian concert pianist who entered into a relationship with Bruce. He even revealed his secret identity to her. But her knowledge of Batman’s identity was apparently learned by the Mad Hatter, who kidnapped her and attempted to torture her into revealing Batman’s identity. When she would not give it up, he threw her out of a helicopter.

In 2013, Bruce met Mio/Penumbra once again in combat with Batman as she attempted an assassination, being defeated and disappearing.

Bruce eventually made an honest woman out of Selina, and the two are currently engaged.

There is also apparently a woman named Jessica Cruz who recently planted a kiss on Batman (or may not have, I'm confused by what people are saying)
    Last edited by Slimybug; 02-11-2018 at 12:30 PM.

BANNED

Silver St Cloud was my favorite.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Yea same here. I remember her from those great Batman comics in the late 70's early 80's. Selina was a main stay too if I recall correctly.

Doug Meonch and Jim Aparo with some Gene Colan did those issues I think.

BTW great rundown.

Mighty Member

What if he romanced Cheetah?

Extraordinary Member

only 2 matter
    and since Batman gets reset in the worst way often its just never satisfying
    His version of batman cant have it all

You forgot

Last edited by Fergus; 02-07-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

BRUCE: I'm Batman.

STEPH: *slap*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    You forgot

He listed Julie Madison, now we can Jessica Cruz too.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    12. Natalia Knight / Nocturna - This one’s confusing for me. Introduced in 1983, what I’ve read says that she was a thief with a disease causing albino skin and great sensitivity to light. She apparently adopted Jason Todd, and later realized Bruce Wayne and Batman were one and the same. The two entered into a relationship, but Bruce later realized his feelings for her were caused by a narcotic perfume she used that caused loving feelings in men (so, does that make it not count?). I’m not sure how long after her introduction this relationship started, or when it ended.

It seems that Bruce’s relationship with Natalia coincided with the time that Julia and Vicki were vying for his affections. And that’s not even bringing in Catwoman and the occasional Talia!
    Nocturna was a surprisingly serious one (took up a lot of panel space) for a brief time (1983-1985). And Batman may have learned of her perfume powers, but afterward he was very much knowingly interested in her romantically. Tec #556 is their last kiss that some might say ends their romantic interests with both realizing it can't work. #557 sees Bruce tell jealous Catwoman his true feelings are for her and Nocturna fades away from Batman comics for a long time.

The Nocturna saga for me is this kinda height of Batman romantic soap era, so early 80s. Soap opera = usually or unusually focusing on emotional relationships to the point of melodrama.

The flirtations/dating with Nocturna did coincide with Bruce dating/having interest in/being pursued by Vicki and Catwoman and Julia. It was a wild time in Bruce's love life.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-07-2018 at 08:00 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Yes, I liked Silver St. Cloud too for Bruce. #SilverBat

So is Jessica Cruz going to be a thing? Seemed like she just kissed him.

Great job on the timeline! Yes Batman/Bruce Wayne has had a lot of romantic interests and "almost relationships".