Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Rocketeer and Road to Perdition for me. Danger: Diabolik (1968) is another.

V for Vendetta, if that counts.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    About Red...

How are folks arriving that it is "Non" DC?
    Some may think of WildStorm (and Vertigo) as part of DC business-wise but not creative-wise. Even though some of their titles do cross over with the DCU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    About Red...

How are folks arriving that it is "Non" DC?
    Even separate from what was specified in the OP, Red was never DC, never part of any of DC's universes. It was a creator-owned book by Warren Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    V for Vendetta the comic is more layered as expected from Moore, but the movie's take on the Valerie sequence is more beautiful (and also noteworthy as LGBT depictions were incredibly rare in mainstream movies then).
    In retrospect, V for Vendetta for me is maybe significantly better than all the comic films after it. If you think that's me indicting DC and Marvel's cinematic universe movies, you'd be correct.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-07-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

V for Vendetta loses it for me because of its rather strong departure from Moore's original intent. It was supposed to make a case for anarchism, not democracy... in the original, democracy is just a gateway to legitimized fascism.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    V for Vendetta loses it for me because of its rather strong departure from Moore's original intent. It was supposed to make a case for anarchism, not democracy... in the original, democracy is just a gateway to legitimized fascism.
    It definitely had departures worth considering, but I'm also able to consider it apart from those departures, it's still effective overall despite the departures IMHO (Watchmen (the movie) isn't effective IMHO, but that's not just because of the departures). I do the same with Kubrick's Shining vs the book.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-07-2018 at 10:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    In retrospect, V for Vendetta for me is maybe significantly better than all the comic films after it. If you think that's me indicting DC and Marvel's cinematic universe movies, you'd be correct.
    is it because the authoritarian state depicted is foreshadowing?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Look at it like this:
    If Akira the manga were Lord Of the Rings then Akira the movie would be The Mines Of Moria.
    Cool I'll have to check it out seeing as I love the movie.

Astonishing Member

The Crow. Love that movie.