Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    What's SWJ, may I ask?
    More often than not it's used as a slur for stereotypical liberals, although as Bored at 3:00 states, some people have tried to reclaim it. Some fans see any attempt of DC or Marvel trying to attract more women or children as "pandering" to "SJWs" and even a personal attack on "long time fans".

Over the last couple of years a number of YouTube channels have gotten big by attacking "SJW Marvel". Some have even destroyed comics on camera ( usually starring a PoC or girl lead). Also, a big part of their formula is to troll the twitter accounts of either Marvel staffers or vocal liberals in the comics industry.

It's funny that for all their talk about how Marvel sucks and wanting better comics, they won't stop reading them or try comics from other companies (of course you get more hits from trashing Marvel than you do for praising Valiant or whoever).

Thanks, people, for the education.

Astonishing Member

Which series, then, is this meant to come from?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    That’s true.

But if these new comics are pitched at same audience as YA novels (late teens/ early 20’s) is that the “issue” they will really address? Isn’t it more about providing a “bridge” to keep kids already reading comics to DC’s adult line?
    DC Zoom is for middle-schoolers (9-13). DC Ink is for high-schoolers (13+).

Quote Originally Posted by K Nikk View Post
    DC Zoom is for middle-schoolers (9-13). DC Ink is for high-schoolers (13+).
    Cheers.

Next time I get really short of reading material I might have a look to see what’s available on Comixology on DC ink line...sometimes find stuff aimed at that age range makes a refreshing change, tending to avoid casual violence, for example.

I think this is a great idea. Not just the new YA lines, but the idea of doing smaller graphic novels, rather than floppies every month. Every publisher should be doing this for the books that appeal to the Tumblr/Barnes and Noble crowd. Why is(/was) Squirrel Girl, America, and Moon Girl still being published monthly? They're consistently some of the lowest selling comics of any given month, but they (apparently) sell gangbusters in trade format to school and book stores. So just cut out the middle man. Stop publishing these comics that "Wednesday warriors" don't want and start targeting different types of people.

That said, I think the people that are assuming that people will start complaining about sjw's are missing the point.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Really love the idea of DC Zoom and Ink. Despite not being part of the target audience, I still enjoy reading "kids" comics like Adventure Time and Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales with my little cousin. So I think I'll find a lot to enjoy from both imprints.
    If any of you are interested, DC has also published a few YA novels already such as the Lois Lane series and the DC Icons series.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    More often than not it's used as a slur for stereotypical liberals, although as Bored at 3:00 states, some people have tried to reclaim it.
    Right on the money.

Some fans see any attempt of DC or Marvel trying to attract more women or children as "pandering" to "SJWs" and even a personal attack on "long time fans".
    Wrong.

Over the last couple of years a number of YouTube channels have gotten big by attacking "SJW Marvel". Some have even destroyed comics on camera ( usually starring a PoC or girl lead).
    Having a POC or woman as the main character isn't the reason 'Diversity and Comics' destroys comics.

Also, a big part of their formula is to troll the twitter accounts of either Marvel staffers or vocal liberals in the comics industry.
    I think you're a little confused. They might be "trolling," but it's the vocally liberal comic pros that are harassing people who don't believe the same things they do. Just look at the way they treated Ethan Van Sciver.

It's funny that for all their talk about how Marvel sucks and wanting better comics, they won't stop reading them or try comics from other companies (of course you get more hits from trashing Marvel than you do for praising Valiant or whoever).
    This part I 100% agree with. I understand caring about Marvel/DC over other publishers, but it's really quite frustrating how they simply ignore great comics (even superhero comics, like Valiant).
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post

Wrong.
    The poster can't be wrong, they literally said "some" fans.

Having a POC or woman as the main character isn't the reason 'Diversity and Comics' destroys comics.
    Who the hell cares, and why would anyone with common sense go out and buy a comic just to destroy it, and why are you defending "Diversity and Comics"

I think you're a little confused. They might be "trolling," but it's the vocally liberal comic pros that are harassing people who don't believe the same things they do. Just look at the way they treated Ethan Van Sciver.
    Harassing how, by talking to their own followers...

Why are you defending EVA, the same person who told another person to kill themselves tho ...like is this the hill you wanna die on.

Like seriously Diverisy and Comics and EVA are shitty individuals there should be no reason to defend them, even if someone says something wrong about them, it shouldn't even be worth it to correct them.

But it seems we got some followers of theres in here ...how sad.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-08-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Which series, then, is this meant to come from?

I'm not sure if it's meant to depict any specific series or just illustrate what DC Zoom is meant to be about.

If I had to hazard a guess it might be for "Dear Justice League."

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Why are you defending EVA, the same person who told another person to kill themselves tho ...like is this the hill you wanna die on.

Like seriously Diverisy and Comics and EVA are shitty individuals there should be no reason to defend them, even if someone says something wrong about them, it shouldn't even be worth it to correct them.
    Indeed, why care about the truth if it doesn't suit the narrative. I don't know much about "Diversity and Comics" so I can't speak about what they are doing, but Van Sciver is not who some people consider him to be. He's not an alt-right Nazi cyber bully bigot, he's a conservative who 12 years ago did an art book that he satirically named after the Hitler biography after his colorist joked about naming it that way, got into a heated political debate with a fan whom he apologized to and donated to a suicide prevention charity, and who recently had the temerity to try to defend himself after being falsely accused of organizing harassment campaigns. Van Sciver was a huge troll during election time, which is why I had him blocked on FB at the time, but he's no bully or a bigot. He works hard like everyone else in comics, but unlike others, doesn't choose to keep his mouth shut when people decide to attack him.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    But it seems we got some followers of theres in here ...how sad.
    It's more sad that some people here don't seem to be as open-minded as they otherwise pretend to be.

Invincible Member

Right on the money.

Wrong.

This part I 100% agree with. I understand caring about Marvel/DC over other publishers, but it's really quite frustrating how they simply ignore great comics (even superhero comics, like Valiant).
    Well, no. I've literally seen and hear people say things like the so-called "changes" that Marvel's done over the last couple of years were a slap in the face to them as long term fans. Even someone like as a person thinks that it's about "replacing" old timers to get a hip younger crowd. And now that some fans are checking out more DC comics, we're starting to see some folks toss around the term "SJW DC".

DiC doesn't trash comics simply because they have a minority or female lead, but it's clear that he's going after comics that some fans think of as part of the "diversity push" or that the PC brigade would like.

It's not one sided, folks have complained about pros like Wacker and Slott in the past. But you don't like a certain pro's comics and you hate his politics, why continue to daily follow his twitter? It's so you can get material to mock him on your channel and get clicks.

Ultimate Member

That said, I think the people that are assuming that people will start complaining about sjw's are missing the point.
    No we are NOT.

We have had too many folks raise HELL about books, tv shows or movies with POC, LGBT & women in them before the first trailer or preview is even out. And most will keep throwing FITS without reading the book in question.

And when many are confronted with WHY is there an issue with a book and ask for EXACT info not generalized nonsense-they can't reply.

So to somebody who read some of the hated books or books with hated characters-they can't understand this hatred.

How does Duke Thomas ruin Batman when he barely appears in the book? Yet we had folks rallying hate for the character. What is in Ms Marvel that warrants it to be burned on youtube?

We got too many folks throwing FITS just to throw FITS. DC does this and the MOMENT they hire or feature a HATED POC-guess whose book gets set on fire for youtube.

Stop publishing these comics that "Wednesday warriors" don't want
    No one is making those socalled warriors buy the books.

They don't get to dictate what gets made. See because Dc nor Marvel is going to pander to WW who don't want certain demo books in comic book stores.

Because the MOMENT that happens-who is going to benefit? Image, Valiant, IDW, Lionforge, Actin Lab, Dark Horse and everyone else who does those books.

Then one wonders why Lionforge's Noble or Black Magic's Black AF is outselling Aquaman or Green Lantern.

Or WORST DC & Marvel realize it's more PROFITABLE to do those YA novels than the floppy.

The middle man the comic book store is CUT OUT. Which I think is where we are heading.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Indeed, why care about the truth if it doesn't suit the narrative. I don't know much about "Diversity and Comics" so I can't speak about what they are doing, but Van Sciver is not who some people consider him to be. He's not an alt-right Nazi cyber bully bigot, he's a conservative who 12 years ago did an art book that he satirically named after the Hitler biography after his colorist joked about naming it that way, got into a heated political debate with a fan whom he apologized to and donated to a suicide prevention charity, and who recently had the temerity to try to defend himself after being falsely accused of organizing harassment campaigns. Van Sciver was a huge troll during election time, which is why I had him blocked on FB at the time, but he's no bully or a bigot. He works hard like everyone else in comics, but unlike others, doesn't choose to keep his mouth shut when people decide to attack him.
    I agree with this 100%

It's sad that in this day and age people will falsely accuse you of all these things just because you don't share the same political views as someone else. And that's why EVS gets attacked so many times, which is sad.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure if it's meant to depict any specific series or just illustrate what DC Zoom is meant to be about.

If I had to hazard a guess it might be for "Dear Justice League."
    Hmm. I see. It's an awesome looking image, though.