Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Indeed, why care about the truth if it doesn't suit the narrative. I don't know much about "Diversity and Comics" so I can't speak about what they are doing, but Van Sciver is not who some people consider him to be. He's not an alt-right Nazi cyber bully bigot, he's a conservative who 12 years ago did an art book that he satirically named after the Hitler biography after his colorist joked about naming it that way, got into a heated political debate with a fan whom he apologized to and donated to a suicide prevention charity, and who recently had the temerity to try to defend himself after being falsely accused of organizing harassment campaigns. Van Sciver was a huge troll during election time, which is why I had him blocked on FB at the time, but he's no bully or a bigot. He works hard like everyone else in comics, but unlike others, doesn't choose to keep his mouth shut when people decide to attack him.

It's more sad that some people here don't seem to be as open-minded as they otherwise pretend to be.
    Even D&C is just a guy who makes videos on Youtube, where he reviews comics and speaks about the industry There's nothing more to him, even you and I can do the same. He's a nobody but his harrassers have made him to be some unstoppable boogeyman and in doing so unwittingly given him power. All because they dont agree with his videos.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

My concern is do these Young Adult writer know how to write the comic book medium because it is different from a novel.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Even D&C is just a guy who makes videos on Youtube, where he reviews comics and speaks about the industry There's nothing more to him, even you and I can do the same. He's a nobody but his harrassers have made him to be some unstoppable boogeyman and in doing so unwittingly given him power. All because they dont agree with his videos.
    "His harrassers", sure...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    "His harrassers", sure...
    What would you call a group of supposedly professional comic writers conspiring against him? From trying to incite a physical confrontation with him at a con to telling their followers to block his followers for no reason other than because they follow it. He's constantly brought up as if he's something special. He's simply not, just a guy who makes videos. If he's a threat then it speaks volumes about the comic industry.

Invincible Member

What would you call a group of supposedly professional comic writers conspiring against him? From trying to incite a physical confrontation with him at a con to telling their followers to block his followers for no reason other than because they follow it. He's constantly brought up as if he's something special. He's simply not, just a guy who makes videos. If he's a threat then it speaks volumes about the comic industry.
    Some comics pros said some not nice things about him. No one was trying to incite physical harm against the guy. That was hyperbole by DiC's fans. If you read the actual tweets you can see for yourself. But you're basically right, DiC is just some guy who does snarky videos.

On the other hand, if I start making videos about how Metallica has sucked for the last ten years and calling them "Blandtallica" in every video and breaking their CDs on camera and Lars Ulrich sees it and says "**** that Ed guy", and maybe Scott Ian sticks his 2 cents in and says I deserve a pie in the face...it's a little disingenuous of me to claim I'm being unfairly harassed by music professionals.
    Last edited by ed2962; 02-09-2018 at 07:47 AM.

I came across D&C's channel when it had a couple hundred subs and watched it because I found it entertaining and generally dislike the poorly written books that Marvel was putting out. A few months later, I came back to find that he had grown into a massive channel that spreads conspiracy theories, has adopted Alt-Right terminology like "Deep State," and makes multiple videos a day about the Twitter drama that comes about when he harasses creators and then plays the victim. He is the scum of the industry, and that comes from someone who generally dislikes the creators he goes after.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

BANNED

They were planning to get physical with him so that he would be kicked out of a con. I doubt they'd have gone through with it ofcourse but they made themselves look like clowns either way.

If he's willing to destroy freaking entertainment purchased with his own money then he's an idiot and that's pretty much what I think of him. But it IS his money and no law is stopping him from making videos. Unless he deliberately incites people to engage in harming others there's nothing to be done. But so called pros have made him in to some sort of boogeyman. I dont see the likes of Morrison or Snyder, Murphy etc being upset about him. Its guys like Waid, Slott, Spencer etc who have this bizarre need to impose their wills and views on others that have a problem with nobodies like D&C. They just need people to be on the same page as them all the damn time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    I came across D&C's channel when it had a couple hundred subs and watched it because I found it entertaining and generally dislike the poorly written books that Marvel was putting out. A few months later, I came back to find that he had grown into a massive channel that spreads conspiracy theories, has adopted Alt-Right terminology like "Deep State," and makes multiple videos a day about the Twitter drama that comes about when he harasses creators and then plays the victim. He is the scum of the industry, and that comes from someone who generally dislikes the creators he goes after.
    Oh he's definitely alt right, even beneath the friendly and humourous disposition that he presents you can feel the venom and snark he displays towards female characters and I got that just from the 2 videos in total that I've watched from him.
    He's just smarter and much more level headed than the reactionary Twitter brigade.

Invincible Member

They were planning to get physical with him so that he would be kicked out of a con. I doubt they'd have gone through with it ofcourse but they made themselves look like clowns either way.

If he's willing to destroy freaking entertainment purchased with his own money then he's an idiot and that's pretty much what I think of him. But it IS his money and no law is stopping him from making videos. Unless he deliberately incites people to engage in harming others there's nothing to be done. But so called pros have made him in to some sort of boogeyman. I dont see the likes of Morrison or Snyder, Murphy etc being upset about him. Its guys like Waid, Slott, Spencer etc who have this bizarre need to impose their wills and views on others that have a problem with nobodies like D&C. They just need people to be on the same page as them all the damn time.
    It was a "fantasy" by someone who wasn't even going to goad him into doing something. But DiC's fans spun it into a narrative that there was an actual plot against him.

But I will say that he's far from being an idiot. He spends $3.99 on a comic book that he destroys and the video makes him say $100 buck or whatever, he's making a profit. So on that level, whether I agree with him or not, I understand just on a mercenary tip. I do think for him at this point it's all about playing to the cheap seats.